Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Dumb question for the miltary guys.

Wherever there's footage, there tends to be a single explosion or very concentrated.

Whereas, during the invasions of Iraq, in urban areas, we had strings of explosions, shit blowing up everywhere.

Can any conclusions be drawn from that?  Are the Russians being more surgical (surely not)?  Or just less effective?

Strategic targets. For example they took out the dam Ukraine out up after Russia took Crimea to cut them off from water.

Not to say Russia hasn't missed. They have. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wherever there's footage, there tends to be a single explosion or very concentrated.

Whereas, during the invasions of Iraq, in urban areas, we had strings of explosions, shit blowing up everywhere.

Can any conclusions be drawn from that?  Are the Russians being more surgical (surely not)?  Or just less effective?

We hit targets, they hit areas. We are not seeing much from Ukraine's military. I am sure they are getting hammered. Anyone got anything on that? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Not to get the thread off track, but what is being described here is both sides of the polarization of America. It's not one side. It's both sides. 

As far as Putin, the good news is that in 1933 Hitler was 44 years of age. Putin is 70. Putin has been in power since 2000, but something more akin to Hitler's power since 2012. By the equivalent time in Hitler's reign he had already subjugated Europe, and had been beaten back from his sneak attack on the Soviet Union. Normandy wouldn't occur for another year. 

It's not as much about what Putin will do. It's about empowering the forces of intolerance, fear, autocracy and repression everywhere. Especially whoever ends up succeeding Putin.

You're not wrong but this is the wrong thread for it. 

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Bullshit.    Taking away a sporting event doesn't do fucking anything.

sounds like someone who doesn't watch soccer. couple of years ago the CL Final drew 480 million viewers worldwide. it's a big deal.

so to be clear, you think they should leave the CL Final there vs pull it?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

who at your organization has the authority to tell them they don't need to worry about fucking standup for a little bit

I know.  I am sure work is the only normal thing going on right now in their lives though.  That's not said to justify anything.  Like I mentioned today is the first time the war ever came up.  There has never been any mention from them about what was going on until today and they were asked by someone on US soil.  It was by chance that it came up today.

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

We hit targets, they hit areas. We are not seeing much from Ukraine's military. I am sure they are getting hammered. Anyone got anything on that? 

I doubt we are getting the truth from Russia or Ukraine right now, but there some reports....

According to the Joint Forces Command, in the Hlukhov area the Ukraine's army used Javelins and neutralized a column of 15 Russian T-72 tanks, General Staff says

Kherson State Administration: Russian troops captured Henichesk, in Skadovsk district reached Shyroke, Oleshky captured, bridge captured

Ukrainian troops shot down 3 helicopters of 34 used in attack on Hostomel airport, artillery used to target landed troops

Ukrainian army repelled Russian attack on Okhtyrka

Ukrainian army captured whole platoon of 74th motorized brigade in Chernihiv region

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm only an ex military guy in the literal sense. No real world expertise. 

That said, we don't know what targets the Russians have attacked. We're getting random footage from people with cell phones. In Iraq you had professional camera men, sometimes embedded with units, and daily briefings by leading commanders who would go over footage, in part to show off US precision and military might.

What we've seen so far are lines of armored Ukrainian vehicles that are nothing but debris. We've seen evidence of total Russian air superiority. We've seen evidence of successfully deployed forward ground assets taking over critical infrastructure. Russia isn't going to have the same capabilities as the US military. You can look at the comparative budgets and know how far the US military dwarfs any other force on the planet. But Russia isn't going against the US military. In terms of achieving its objectives, what I've seen so far on the various social media outlets looks very one sided in nearly every way. Which is exactly what I expected.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I already made clarifications in the post. It's easy to attack their use of the term Nazi. To me it's important to add context. If it's not important to you, then so be it.

I almost never neg people who aren’t liars and/or trolls.  It’s almost like there’s a 75 page thread here and people who know shit about fuck analyzed this conflict and the context six ways from Sunday before you dropped in to tell everyone how you knew everything before hand but didn’t care to share till today. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Shock and awe was coined at the start of the initial Iraq invasion.  US military doctrine was centered around show them how much boom boom we have.  War is always messy, but this and that are apples to oranges comparisons.  Munitions are also completely different here, and even 2003 strikes vs 2022 strikes won't look the same.  This looks to outsiders as a very strong day 1 attack but so far it is nowhere near what it could be.  Time will tell how force escalates

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I almost never neg people who aren’t liars and/or trolls.  It’s almost like there’s a 75 page thread here and people who know shit about fuck analyzed this conflict and the context six ways from Sunday before you dropped in to tell everyone how you knew everything before hand but didn’t care to share till today. 

Thank you for sharing.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I'd add targeted killings of senior administrators and oligarchs that support him. Id throw in their spouses too. I guess that makes me a war criminal, but I'd rather they all receive bullets to the back of their heads than suffer a single civilian loss in war.

Yeah. That should be about right. Kill the spouses (or mistresses if that would be more painful) first. War cabinet.  Etc. We’ve always done this in war trying to kill senior officers first on a battlefield. When you are talking about this kind of nation state shit I don’t see any plausible or realistic argument that they should be off limits while it’d be appropriate to try to kill the general in charge in the theater but not the autocrat that sent him there. 
FAFO needs to be the rule of the day for these guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Someone please help my ignorance. Kyiv is outside the regions which Putin is claiming are independent, right? I know the truth means fuck all, but has he put out any explanation for going after the capital?

Guessing he wants to topple the legitimate government in Kyiv and set up a puppet. 

it's really interesting how quick the ground war started. The US would wait a week and just pound from the air, Russia bombs for a morning then sends in tanks to only see actual resistance.  Looks like Russia is clearly winning, but not with the zero tolerance for losses like the US has.

Edited by troph

48 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I have only worked with this team a short time but they are great to collaborate with.  Kind, giving, and understanding.

I felt so small when I had to ask one of them for help on something afterwards.   

It's a travesty that they have to live like this.

Please tell me you didn't ask someone in an active warzone about the cover sheets on their TPS reports.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, tokamak said:

Guessing he wants to topple the legitimate government in Kyiv and set up a puppet. 

Well yeah, but his public statements I've seen are that they are "peacekeeping" in areas of Ukraine which are "independent." Of course it's a lie, but it's his explanation. Kyiv is outtside of those areas, I'm curious if he has given an explanation why he needs to attack the capital. By his prior bs explanation, the areas Russia is in right now are "independent," i.e., not Ukrainian. Again I'm trying to keep up but it's all really fast and I have little background knowledge of this conflict.

Just now, texastough said:

I don't get the vitriol for your posts. They don't come across as argumentative and those of us not as well informed about the region appreciate them. Thank you

There has been a steady flow of discussion in here before he dropped in.  He’s obviously knowledgeable but like most surly assholes comes across pretty full of himself.  So he fits right in.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Its tough to say.  I think there is some reservation wrt targets in urban areas so far. Seems like they are lobbing minimal cruise missiles there to knock down air defense and then using the cheaper stuff (help air assault) to take care of the rest.  I think for all of the posturing, Putin is trying to get through this as cheaply as possible, so they aren’t spending the good stuff unless they have to. The MLRS stuff would be more akin to the shock and awe stuff we saw from Iraq. We know they launched a shit ton of them, but I guess they were used to soften up the deployed armor that’s away from the urban areas so we aren’t seeing any of that footage.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

That's a nice win, assuming it's true. There's footage and a reporter's confirmation that Russian soldiers now occupy Sumy, not far from Kharkiv, along with a bunch of abandoned Ukrainian military equipment. I like seeing the Ukrainian victories more.

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй