Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Well yeah, but his public statements I've seen are that they are "peacekeeping" in areas of Ukraine which are "independent." Of course it's a lie, but it's his explanation. Kyiv is outtside of those areas, I'm curious if he has given an explanation why he needs to attack the capital. By his prior bs explanation, the areas Russia is in right now are "independent," i.e., not Ukrainian. Again I'm trying to keep up but it's all really fast and I have little background knowledge of this conflict.

Did you see Putin's unhinged declaration of war on all of Ukraine yesterday?

1 minute ago, troph said:

it's really interesting how quick the ground game started. The US would wait a week and just pound from the air, Russia bombs for a morning then sends in tanks to only see actual resistance.  Looks like Russia is clearly winning, but not with the zero tolerance for losses like the US has.

What would they/we bomb?  Roads and bridges?  The Russian mech & logistics units desperately need those in a country will thousands and thousands of rivers.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texastough said:

I don't get the vitriol for your posts. They don't come across as argumentative and those of us not as well informed about the region appreciate them. Thank you

Agree.  SLX is a long-time pretty wise poster.  Which is not to take away from Shady Ray and 936.  It's just that he's kind of late to the party with his insights.  He should post more.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texastough said:

I don't get the vitriol for your posts. They don't come across as argumentative and those of us not as well informed about the region appreciate them. Thank you

maybe because he's telling one of the guys who's a hell of a lot closer to this conflict than any of us, the same guy who has been providing extremely helpful insight on this thread for more than 3 months, that he doesnt like his use of the word associating with nazi?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, troph said:

it's really interesting how quick the ground war started. The US would wait a week and just pound from the air, Russia bombs for a morning then sends in tanks to only see actual resistance.  Looks like Russia is clearly winning, but not with the zero tolerance for losses like the US has.

Putin cares about doing it quickly, not about minimizing losses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

What would they/we bomb?  Roads and bridges?  The Russian mech & logistics units desperately need those in a country will thousands and thousands of rivers.  

well troops that are able to mount (and have mounted) a resistance for one.

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Where are all these MANPADS plucking copters' out of the sky that we heard so much about?

Ideally they are being held in reserve for the coming asymmetric stuff. They were never going to be as effective trying to go toe to toe with the main push. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. That should be about right. Kill the spouses (or mistresses if that would be more painful) first. War cabinet.  Etc. We’ve always done this in war trying to kill senior officers first on a battlefield. When you are talking about this kind of nation state shit I don’t see any plausible or realistic argument that they should be off limits while it’d be appropriate to try to kill the general in charge in the theater but not the autocrat that sent him there. 
FAFO needs to be the rule of the day for these guys. 

The US and any other countries' leadership don't want to set that precedent as then it gives Putin free reign to target them and their families. 

I legitimately wonder what would happen if Biden called up Putin and said

"Hey Vlad, here's the deal. We both know that nuclear destruction means the end of both of us so that's off the table. No nukes, and no American force will enter Russia. We're just going to go into Ukraine and fuck your boys all up until you back off. That's it."

If NATO entered Ukraine and started going toe to toe with Russian forces alongside Ukraine it would quickly make the necessary expenditures for this venture too costly for Putin to carry on for long. He's counting on a quick and easy take over. If he doesn't get it what will he do?

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Someone please help my ignorance. Kyiv is outside the regions which Putin is claiming are independent, right? I know the truth means fuck all, but has he put out any explanation for going after the capital?

He's attacking all of the Ukraine now.  Reasons are unimportant. 

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not sure to give props or condemnation to the one brave or foolhardly plane overflying the Caucasus.

You’re everyone’s problem. That’s because every time you go up in the air, you’re unsafe. I don’t like you because you’re dangerous.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Putin cares about doing it quickly, not about minimizing losses. 

I'd say a few days of air superiority would allow tanks to waltz in without the worry of as many losses.  I get he's a IDGAF ruler, but I'm still surprised he's taking to the ground so quickly. that's how Ukraine has a chance to inflict real damage.  maybe he's actually worried about some of the SAMs, etc. I dunno.  I'm just curious about the strategy, seems interesting to say the least.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I think it depends on whether you have been reading every post in this thread over the past couple of months or just joined today for the "game thread" portion (understandably).  It's been one of the best threads this site has seen with tons of analysis and nuance leading up to today.  So new posters don't really appreciate the depth of which a lot of this stuff have already been discussed.  That is the disconnect.

I have been reading just about every post for weeks. I saw a lot of "wtf is Putin's end game?" type posts and not a lot of good explanations. So I appreciate the historical and cultural context to this that he and many others have been providing. And for instance I didn't appreciate the difference in what Nazi means to the west vs. what it means to Russians wrt Ukraine. I'm sure the knowledgeable guys know that stuff well, but why bitch about it? Even if its already been discussed, I mean shit on this site posters rehash shit constantly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RamjetFDO said:

The Rooskies have always made the strangest-looking aircraft... after stealing plans from the West.

You can thank Elizabeth and Phillip.  Damn liars!

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The US and any other countries' leadership don't want to set that precedent as then it gives Putin free reign to target them and their families. 

I legitimately wonder what would happen if Biden called up Putin and said

"Hey Vlad, here's the deal. We both know that nuclear destruction means the end of both of us so that's off the table. No nukes, and no American force will enter Russia. We're just going to go into Ukraine and fuck your boys all up until you back off. That's it."

If NATO entered Ukraine and started going toe to toe with Russian forces alongside Ukraine it would quickly make the necessary expenditures for this venture too costly for Putin to carry on for long. He's counting on a quick and easy take over. If he doesn't get it what will he do?

He stated previously that Russia would be no match for NATO so they would be forced to use nuclear weapons. 

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

maybe because he's telling one of the guys who's a hell of a lot closer to this conflict than any of us, the same guy who has been providing extremely helpful insight on this thread for more than 3 months, that he doesnt like his use of the word associating with nazi?

Is that what I said? Because I clearly remember stating that if he's using the term understanding the context, then never mind, but when used by Russian propaganda it's meant specifically for a Russian speaking audience, and it's very effective, and then relatively briefly (for me at least) explained why. That's very different from saying I don't like the use of the association. Associate it with whatever you want. Certainly associating Naziism with anti semitism is perfectly legitimate. But complaining about the use of the term based on Ukrainian leaders being of Jewish descent completely misses the point of why it's being used. Which I feel is important. Not everyone is going to share that point of view. I get that.

• Like 2

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/24-february-the-hostomel-airfield-just-north-of-kyiv-which

The Hostomel Airfield just North of Kyiv which was captured by Russian VDV earlier is currently under Heavy Counter-attack by the 4th Rapid Response Brigade of the National Guard of Ukraine who have been ordered to retake the Airfield

Would be nice to take out that pocket.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

He stated previously that Russia would be no match for NATO so they would be forced to use nuclear weapons. 

that's the really scary part.  what if Ukraine makes Russian FAFO with conventional warfare... Putin won't lose this war.

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Someone please help my ignorance. Kyiv is outside the regions which Putin is claiming are independent, right? I know the truth means fuck all, but has he put out any explanation for going after the capital?

Knocking out airports in particular to cutoff the ability of foreign entities sending more arms/supplies into Ukraine.

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй