Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

8 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Very true but that was supposed to be left behind. The “New Russia” was supposed to be modern, efficient and equal to the west. That’s been part of the bullshit line that has been fed to Russians for a while and why Putins popularity has survived and flourish. There was an Emergence of a healthy middle class, healthcare was starting to reach lots of places and overall Russians seem to enjoy a fair bit of prosperity in the past 15 years.

It seems that was just smoke and mirrors.

Or propoganda. Russia knows something about that.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Never heard of it so went to wiki - seems like a great spring break spot:

Eritrea is a unitary one-party presidential republic in which national legislative and presidential elections have never been held. According to Human Rights Watch, the Eritrean government's human rights record is among the worst in the world. The Eritrean government has dismissed these allegations as politically motivated. Freedom of the press in Eritrea is extremely limited, the Press Freedom Index consistently ranks it as one of the least free countries. As of 2021 Reporters Without Borders considers the country to have the overall worst press freedom in the world, even lower than North Korea, as all media publications and access are heavily controlled by the government.

your Eritrea is right above Djibouti......I'll be here all week.  please tip your waitresses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

A couple of random thoughts:

- Ukraine is absolutely, 100%, without a doubt winning the propaganda battle. But it’s not only because they really are on the right side of history. It’s because Russia can’t fight back. See, the party line in Russia is there’s not even a war going on at all. They’re simply performing some targeted air strikes to help defend the “Donbas People’s Republic”. If they start filling the airwaves with images of tanks and artillery running over Ukrainian villages it’s going to be apparent that (1) the military is much weaker than they’ve been led to believe and (2) that they’ve been lied to since the beginning. It’s debatable whether (2) even matters because allowing a strongman to run over their rights seems to be baked into Russian DNA.

- A lot of speculation has centered around the idea that Putin didn’t know the weakness of the military (particularly logistics) and is now scrambling to figure out a solution. I actually think he did know these things and planned around them. The idea was that he would mass an invasion force on all sides to scare them into submission. Throw in a couple of go-fast spec ops raids on airports and government HQ and he would never have to send the armor at all, thus negating their biggest weakness and preserving the myth of overwhelming strength. The problem was that the Ukrainians decided to fight back and he was forced to do it the “conventional” way. Now he’s trying to figure out how to fight a war while also telling the population that no such war exists. In the age of social media…pretty tough to pull this off.

Yep.  Not to mention the Russian people will start wondering why their military is so ill-equipped and ill-prepared when they commit so much money to defense spending...err, padding Putin's coffers.   

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

A lot of speculation has centered around the idea that Putin didn’t know the weakness of the military (particularly logistics) and is now scrambling to figure out a solution. I actually think he did know these things and planned around them. The idea was that he would mass an invasion force on all sides to scare them into submission.

The problem with surrounding yourself with "yes men" who are terrified of you, is that you don't get straight answers. Fuck 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

The only country making that justification is the United States. To me you’re making an implied generalization. 

Other countries either aren’t spending crazy money, or if they are, it’s not so they can reduce casualties on both sides. There’s also not a concern about wiping out whole cultures. China is trying to wipe out two that I know of for sure, as we type. Indoctrination camps. Setting up alternate religious figures. You name it. 

Point taken, but when it comes to Russia, that’s something was was explicitly promised to the Russian people after the fall of the USSR. While I’m not trying to point to Russia subscribing to any noble philosophy, the fact remains: don’t lie to a Russian. 
To me it’s just one more crack in the foundation which, honestly, I never would have expected to exist 2 weeks ago. 

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

"they all fall".  The followers, if you look at my sentence again.  The leaders do pretty well for the most part.  

And for those that don't fall, they'll die off soon enough.  Those that persist can be put on trains.

I mean, we all die. Your original post is just not an accurate statement. It’s the kind of thing people throw out there and everyone nods knowingly, but it’s patently false. It’s dangerous, because it either ignores the appeal of having a charismatic leader who stops at nothing to gain victory, and therefore underestimates that appeal (or in dire enough situations, necessity), or it makes it seem like good always triumphs in the end, which is mostly a matter of perspective. 

The most effective leadership type tends to be narcissists and psychopaths, especially when we’re talking historic expansionist cultures. Part of it is because they inherently crave those leadership positions more, so a greater percentage of that personality type seeks it out, and part of it is having a range of behavior at their disposal that someone more normative would not entertain. 

What I would argue is that it makes it even more paramount to show maximum resistance when the goal is to curb a psychopath/narcissists behavior. Because they have very poor self limits by definition, it’s extremely important external limits are persistent, as rapidly deployed as possible, and severe. 

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  Not to mention the Russian people will start wondering why their military is so ill-equipped and ill-prepared when they commit so much money to defense spending...err, padding Putin's coffers.   

Those Villas in France aren't going to pay for themselves, Comrade. 

36 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

This is such effective PR/propaganda. 

my very limited Russian

Mom, I'm good, in Ukraine  something about soldiers

Something about videoing this

can't understand

Mom says "Good"

Edit - should have read further

32 minutes ago, MoJames said:

image.png.c265a241ee37e761aaccb2efeb40736e.png

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I mean, we all die. Your original post is just not an accurate statement. It’s the kind of thing people throw out there and everyone nods knowingly, but it’s patently false. It’s dangerous, because it either ignores the appeal of having a charismatic leader who stops at nothing to gain victory, and therefore underestimates that appeal (or in dire enough situations, necessity), or it makes it seem like good always triumphs in the end, which is mostly a matter of perspective. 

The most effective leadership type tends to be narcissists and psychopaths, especially when we’re talking historic expansionist cultures. Part of it is because they inherently crave those leadership positions more, so a greater percentage of that personality type seeks it out, and part of it is having a range of behavior at their disposal that someone more normative would not entertain. 

What I would argue is that it makes it even more paramount to show maximum resistance when the goal is to curb a psychopath/narcissists behavior. Because they have very poor self limits by definition, it’s extremely important external limits are persistent, as rapidly deployed as possible, and severe. 

Good points.  How about this, 'There are two specific narcissistic leaders on Planet Earth right now that would make the world a much better place were someone to put two bullets in the backs of their respective skulls.'  We can dispense with the psychoanalysis afterwards.  Some people, and some followers, just gotta die soon.  Rest of us got a future to create.

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Shit, if Biden sent S.A.'s mom to Kharkiv the entire Russian army would be so tied up for weeks Ukraine could probably take Moscow. 

you think there's a lot of russian troops stuck in the mud now......

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

HEY!  We talked about this.  Shush!

yeah, worst OPSEC ever  football coaching moves is one thing, but this is another.  Source should shut up too.  Although probably only making shit up to get in the box.

Edited by TexasEd

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s an impeachment process in the Russian Constitution if the State Duma has the balls to move forward with. Just get him out of the chain of command and see if the next guy up can get them out of the hole he dug.

Who am I kidding. I’ll go ahead and respond:

giphy.gif

Thanks for cleaning up your own mess.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

For some 'war' news on the home front, an estate sale in Brenham this afternoon had to be evacuated because one of y'alls grandad's had a live 1916 hand grenade that wound up in one of the sale boxes.  lulz.  

https://www.kxxv.com/news/local-news/106-year-old-grenade-discovered-in-brenham-evacuation-ordered

Exact same thing happened to a friend of mine that is on the SWAT team in a small town in Alabama.  Trailer park.  Big surprise.  Old Korean vet.  Had it on his desk.  G-Kid grabbed one day as kids do, pulled the pin, and chucked it.  THANK GOD it was old & corroded so it didn't go off.  They brought in the EOD guys, and just dug a big hole, wrapped it in det-cord, used that little robot thingy they have to push it into the hole, covered back up some, and blew it on the spot.

Probably arrested the old guy and/or chewed his ass out. 

I occasionally check out rt.com to see how things are being spun for the Russian public. For the first time, they’ve started calling it an “invasion” and acknowledged “nearly 500” military deaths. Also an article about how the UN passed a resolution condemning their actions. Seems like they realize that they can’t keep this thing hidden forever.

Side note: the only countries voting against the UN resolution were Russia, Belarus, Syria, North Korea, and Eritrea. Some company.

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s an impeachment process in the Russian Constitution if the State Duma has the balls to move forward with. Just get him out of the chain of command and see if the next guy up can get them out of the hole he dug.

Who am I kidding. I’ll go ahead and respond:

giphy.gif

Yeah this is actually the official Russian impeachment process:

IWyG.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

You need to worry when Russia starts saying the actual number, of even exaggerates it.  Because that's when they'll start deploying low-yield tactical warheads, "We had no choice, our infantry and logistics columns were trying to fall back, but were being slaughtered.  It had to be done to save lives on both sides."