Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

4 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Ellington Field is hot tonight, just saying.

Ellington has been rolling for a month now.  Flyover for Rodeo.  And lots of navy and air force guys have "maintenance" issues right around Houston this time of year.  5 star hotel on govt dime and a chance for rodeo

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, SL Xpress said:

So when Zelensky makes repeated calls for a no fly zone by appealing to Western guilt for not doing enough to help the Ukrainian people, is he doing it because he thinks there’s a legitimate chance Western powers are going to start shooting down Russian fighters and bombers, and taking out S400 emplacements in Belarus and Russia? Or is this a strategy to keep applying immense political pressure for them to do more?

Because it sure sounds sincere. I guess he’s an actor, but I don’t know. He sounds pissed, betrayed, and embittered it’s not happening. Also desperate, but that part I get.

NATO/US will allow millions of people to die and all of Ukraine’s major cities turned to rubble and still not go to war with Russia. It bums me out a bit if there’s a part of Zelensky who hasn’t come to terms with that. 

He has no other option and nothing to lose. As far as he is concerned, this is WW3 for his country...  and Russia appears weak.

24 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

A retired Marine general caused a lot of controversy several years back.  The navy brought him in to do a red vs blue. He swarmed attack the carrier in the strait of Hormuz.  Overwhelmed them prettt quick.  They made him change tactics.  He swarmed attacked them again from land. They made him change tactics again so he walked out and called bullshit.  No one in the Navy thinks a carrier is sinkable until one sinks.  And when that happens I hope they put the SecNAv and every single admiral on display at the Navy yard and have the President execute them.  

The first problem is the carrier was in the Strait of Hormuz when hostilities broke out. 

That's a tense passage for any US Navy ship in peacetime, much less after war is openly declared. 

Everyone in the Navy thinks a carrier is sinkable. It's just that no one thinks you just wave your magic missile wand and they go down. Everyone has a plan until they get hit. Including the US Navy. But you still have to have a plan. The problem isn't that the Navy thinks they're invulnerable. The problem is there's not a good substitute for them. 

There's a reason the people in the submarine force are the best treated sailors in the Navy. Waaaaaay better than surface or even air. That's the most invulnerable weapon the US Navy has at its disposal. But submarines by definition cannot effectively project power, other than nuclear deterrence. I'll say this. If any other country goes to war against the US and tries to field a carrier, it won't last beyond the first day or so. And distance from the enemy is the carrier's best friend. Which limits its utility, but doesn't make them useless. 

To bring this back to Ukraine somehow, it's not really that germane because Russia had Ukraine surrounded on land on three sides. So a carrier in this war would have no utility. But that's almost never the case. The only way the US can sustain effective air combat operations anywhere in the world is through the use of carriers. Take that away, and you basically give up the utility of owning air superiority - unless there are major ground air bases invulnerable to attack in the area - which anyone who has been in combat, including the participants in Ukraine, can tell you the value.

Edit - posted before I saw immamac's warning.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2

Question to those that know the Russian playbook better than myself:

Mariupol seems to be at least at current hopelessly surrounded.  Is it better in the short term from a humanitarian stand point for them to capitulate, or is the reality of reciprocity so real that they are better off to fight despite the humanitarian cost?

I.E. would the Russians actually allow aid should that population surrender?  

In Khariv and Sumy it appears that the Russians can attack, maybe even get a slight foothold, and then they seem to get overrun again in short order.  Their response has been to turn around and just turn those cities into rubble.  Rinse and repeat.  I suspect it comes back to the fact that they really don't have the manpower to actually hold either of these.  The situation in Mariupol seems to not be the same thing.  They are actually conducting a successful siege there.  

1 hour ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Was it Gen. John Murray? If it wasn’t (as that sounds like something he would do/say)… do you recall who it was?

If I recall correctly, he’s Army not a Marine. 

261BB852-0A6D-4903-93E2-5BCD212B77FA.jpeg

YodaVentress.gif.75a89ec75ec47742d17902244be86721.gif

"Strong you are with the dark side, young one, but not that strong. 
Still much to learn, you have! 
Surrender, you should!"

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10598315/Ukraine-war-Putin-fires-eight-generals-rages-FSB-battlefield-failures.html

Russia has fired 'about EIGHT' generals for failing to 'complete the task' of taking Ukraine in days, Kyiv official claims - as Putin rages over FSB failures

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Still a long process but hopefully Ukraine will be voted in…

Slava Ukraini! Keep fighting smart and hard! We see you!

This is a total pipe dream, don't get your hopes up.  

1.  Being a part of the EU involves economic stability and ties bonds together.  There is no way on earth a collective group of bankers is going to allow membership to a country in the middle of an invasion.  At best they are playing lip service because everyone feels for these people.  However, it is in no way pragmatic for a financial group to throw in to a very uncertain situation.

2.  We all want Ukraine to wind up victorious in this.  However, we have to accept the possibility that they can lose.  Imagine if the EU accepts Ukraine only for it to be shortly thereafter overrun and a puppet government installed.  What then, rescind?  If that were to happen, lots of credibility would be lost.  Once again, the real principle backbone of the EU is bonds and a downgrade in their collective bonds would be disaster for the EU.  

3.  Proven lack of corruption thru transparency requires a significant track record (yet again tied to bonds and their rating).  Fundamentally, Ukraine has never come close to meeting this.  I like the courage and determination of the current leadership of Ukraine, but they haven't come close to demonstrating this.  

At the end of the day, would you risk western Europe's financial stability in favor of something as risky as adding Ukraine?  The answer is no, and it should be.  That having been said, when this is all said and done, we (the collective west) owes these people a tremendous amount, and should do everything possible to help building them to level of being a legitimate EU and NATO member.  

Now's not the time.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Yeah.  The train nap of earth extensively.  Iraqi armor described them as ghosts from the ground.  The rose up from the horizon and unleashed hell.

They don’t even need line of sight. They can easily detect and destroy targets beyond a hill. I used to have access to war footage from Iraq and Afghanistan used in part for training and instructional purposes. Shit was scary. They’re ultimate death machines. 

Like I said, their biggest limitation is that AO commanders are scared of using them. Too valuable an asset, too much of a career consequence if they’re knocked down. 

40 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

1.  Being a part of the EU involves economic stability and ties bonds together.  There is no way on earth a collective group of bankers is going to allow membership to a country in the middle of an invasion.  At best they are playing lip service because everyone feels for these people.  However, it is in no way pragmatic for a financial group to throw in to a very uncertain situation.

2.  We all want Ukraine to wind up victorious in this.  However, we have to accept the possibility that they can lose.  Imagine if the EU accepts Ukraine only for it to be shortly thereafter overrun and a puppet government installed.  What then, rescind?  If that were to happen, lots of credibility would be lost.  Once again, the real principle backbone of the EU is bonds and a downgrade in their collective bonds would be disaster for the EU.  

3.  Proven lack of corruption thru transparency requires a significant track record (yet again tied to bonds and their rating).  Fundamentally, Ukraine has never come close to meeting this.  I like the courage and determination of the current leadership of Ukraine, but they haven't come close to demonstrating this.  

At the end of the day, would you risk western Europe's financial stability in favor of something as risky as adding Ukraine?  The answer is no, and it should be.  That having been said, when this is all said and done, we (the collective west) owes these people a tremendous amount, and should do everything possible to help building them to level of being a legitimate EU and NATO member.  

Now's not the time.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous. Not to mention it’s not a good look for Turkey. 

It’s a shame unrealistic expectations are being created. It’s like the centerfold hot girl who keeps indicating she’d love to go out with you, yet something seems to always come up. Kind of like what I imagine @Nicole44 says in her DMs to the sausage fest we have going on here. 

Russia mouthpieces now saying stuff about their civilian aircraft. They are fucking despicable anyway and obviously desperate because pretty much the whole world is united against them BUT hopefully they wouldn’t shoot down their own civilian aircraft. I mean the amount of shit they are spewing is just ridiculous. 

Oh and NATO and other nations are not going to stop helping Ukraine. I was reading it is possible for the UN as a collective body to possibly protect Ukraine’s skies but I doubt that happens…but with what Russia is doing right now all options are on the fucking table.

Did you research the Twitter link you posted? If so, I’ll shut up, but if you didn’t, then the amount of shit YOU just spewed is ridiculous. I get that you’re a huge fan of the underdog here, as I believe we all are, but fucks sake.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Southern California was ground zero for defense spending post WWII.  Lockheed, Northrup, Raytheon, Boeing, basically all of them.  About 25 years ago these companies started selling off their real estate, and it was converted to tech for the most part.  We bought a big FAA building with a ton of land around it that was basically a government defense building.  Something tells me the defense spending candle is about to be relit.  This could be a rebirth of that industry.  Not that it ever went away, as it was always huge here, but it may get huger again.  I think most countries thought ground wars were going to be a thing of the past.  Apparently not.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Looks like the soviet era Levi black market is back open for biz. 

Several of my aunts and uncles made a trip to Russia in 1979 or 1981 (it was either right before or after the Olympics as they brought back tons of Olympic pins to give to us kids) and one of my uncles was standing out in front of his hotel one morning smoking a cigarette and a guy came up to him and offered him $200 US cash right then and there for his Levi’s. He said he would have sold them if it hadn’t been snowing.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

And stuff about the fighting.

I’m not going to lie I’ve love Rubio through all this. Lol.  No matter your party he called Putin out at every step.  People mad cause he “gave up the presidents location”. He a few hours later tweeted a video of his exact location vs a white wall Rubio put out.  

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, MillerEP said:

In response to the first tweet, no one should pay attention to the UN during this conflict. The UN Security Council was basically set up so the permanent members could do what they want militarily. Russia can lie and it doesn’t matter that everyone in the room knows it.

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Now's not the time.

And what's the benefit of entering right now?  What additional privileges would they get?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-accusations-of-biological-weapons-research-in-ukraine-stir-fears-of-broader-conflict-11646939931

“A se­nior North At­lantic Treaty Or­ga­ni­za­tion of­fi­cial said Wednes­day there are se­ri­ous con­cerns that Rus­sia—which has strug­gled to make head­way in its as­sault on Ukraine—is set­ting the stage to use chem­i­cal weapons in the coun­try.”

TFA says they are concerned that Russia is fabricating pretexts to use nukes as well.

Apparently Gen Hertling knows a thing or two about modern combat doctrine.  And the Russians are completely clueless, like putting me in an F1 car, without training it’s a waste of equipment. 

I think Russia has good kit but it’s a cash export.  They never bothered to integrate it into their armed forces because they’ve been using it in third world countries where they could get by with overwhelming defenses.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Apparently Gen Hertling knows a thing or two about modern combat doctrine.  And the Russians are completely clueless, like putting me in an F1 car, without training it’s a waste of equipment. 

I think Russia has good kit but it’s a cash export.  They never bothered to integrate it into their armed forces because they’ve been using it in third world countries where they could get by with overwhelming defenses.

As anyone who’s ever been Zerg rushed knows. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MillerEP said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10598315/Ukraine-war-Putin-fires-eight-generals-rages-FSB-battlefield-failures.html

Russia has fired 'about EIGHT' generals for failing to 'complete the task' of taking Ukraine in days, Kyiv official claims - as Putin rages over FSB failures

There is so much every accusation is a confession in the world these days, lol.

• Haha 1

Worth a read (it’s mostly stuff we’d put together on our own based on all the information out there from Twitter) the full conversation though has a few interesting nuggets.

Really hard to say though what Putin will do next. The tide continues to turn in the ground war and more fighters joining the Legion for Ukraine. I’m sure they can get some from Belarus to fight for Russia but it just sounds like not enough to make a difference with morale where it is.

I’ll shut up as those who just read and barely contribute other than to throw shade in drive by posts directed at me I am sure will weigh in with their hot takes. 

TLDR tweet conversation is worth a read though it summarizes much of what we already know. People with an axe to grind about me posting on here are free to show their work or kindly fuck their own face. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1