2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

Tommy Tuberville is shitty with money:

Tommy Tuberville, the Republican candidate for Senate in Alabama, is running in large measure on his experience in college football’s Southeastern Conference, known as the S.E.C., where he coached Auburn University.

But he has had experience with another S.E.C., the Securities and Exchange Commission, and other financial regulators.

A review by The New York Times found that Mr. Tuberville, who is leading Senator Doug Jones in the polls, has a history of involvement with at least three people who were later convicted of financial fraud in what were described as Ponzi schemes. Mr. Tuberville was largely seen as a victim and was never charged with a crime.

In two episodes, Mr. Tuberville lost millions of dollars. A third was more minor, when Mr. Tuberville and his wife, Suzanne, bought a home through a company created by a lawyer who was later convicted of running a real estate-related Ponzi scheme.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/12/us/elections/senate-alabama-tuberville-jones.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Tommy Tuberville, the Republican candidate for Senate in Alabama, is running in large measure on his experience in college football’s Southeastern Conference, known as the S.E.C., where he coached Auburn University.

But he has had experience with another S.E.C., the Securities and Exchange Commission, and other financial regulators.

A review by The New York Times found that Mr. Tuberville, who is leading Senator Doug Jones in the polls, has a history of involvement with at least three people who were later convicted of financial fraud in what were described as Ponzi schemes. Mr. Tuberville was largely seen as a victim and was never charged with a crime.

In two episodes, Mr. Tuberville lost millions of dollars. A third was more minor, when Mr. Tuberville and his wife, Suzanne, bought a home through a company created by a lawyer who was later convicted of running a real estate-related Ponzi scheme.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/12/us/elections/senate-alabama-tuberville-jones.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Should fit in perfectly w/ the Senate Republican contingent. 

Peters problem seems to primarily be low Name ID.  His favorables are 47% positive, 35% negative, 18% No Opinion. I just can't imagine enough people voting Biden and then pulling the lever for a GOP Senate challenger to pull James ahead. Especially since MI recently re-instated straight ticket voting.

15 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

That MI race will be a heartbreaker if it goes the other way. 

Of all the things in this world that worry me, that's not one of them.  There just aren't enough ticket-splitters in this hyper-partisan world to allow James to win.

It's the same reason Daniels is going to win in MT (in a state that is substantially closer on the presidential side than MI is).  There just aren't enough people who are going to split their tickets.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Of all the things in this world that worry me, that's not one of them.  There just aren't enough ticket-splitters in this hyper-partisan world to allow James to win.

It's the same reason Daniels is going to win in MT (in a state that is substantially closer on the presidential side than MI is).  There just aren't enough people who are going to split their tickets.

I actually think the "ticket-splitting" is one thing that favors Dems downballot.  The GOP voter base is a cult -- they are all-in on the orange godking.  They will walk across burning coals to vote for the One True God, Trump.  But their enthusiasm and interest cools quickly once that vote is cast.  Most of them will still vote for the party, but I think a noticeable number will show up, cast their vote for Trump, and then leave.  Not a lot....but 1% makes a difference in many races.

Whereas I think that there's going to be less of that on the other side of the ledger. Don't know how to quantify it, but I think the fact that the GOP is defined solely by the top of the ticket (literally that -- it's their entire "platform") could hurt them.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I actually think the "ticket-splitting" is one thing that favors Dems downballot.  The GOP voter base is a cult -- they are all-in on the orange godking.  They will walk across burning coals to vote for the One True God, Trump.  But their enthusiasm and interest cools quickly once that vote is cast.  Most of them will still vote for the party, but I think a noticeable number will show up, cast their vote for Trump, and then leave.  Not a lot....but 1% makes a difference in many races.

Whereas I think that there's going to be less of that on the other side of the ledger. Don't know how to quantify it, but I think the fact that the GOP is defined solely by the top of the ticket (literally that -- it's their entire "platform") could hurt them.

I think that's right further down ballot.  I could see Casteneda winning her TRRC race.  But I don't think a US Senate seat is far enough down the ballot for that.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think that's right further down ballot.  I could see Casteneda winning her TRRC race.  But I don't think a US Senate seat is far enough down the ballot for that.

3 of the 4 Republican State Supreme Court Judges have a Libertarian on the ballot along with the Democratic candidate, and the Dem is a woman in every case. That to me is going to be fun to watch. No green candidates.

Maybe I’m a beta soy boy, but when I see a choice for judge, I always go woman. My mom would at least hear me out when I fucked up as a kid and was in trouble but my dad wouldn’t.

Edited by StassneyHorn

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

3 of the 4 Republican State Supreme Court Judges have a Libertarian on the ballot along with the Democratic candidate, and the Dem is a woman in every case. That to me is going to be fun to watch. No green candidates.

Maybe I’m a beta soy boy, but when I see a choice for judge, I always go woman. My mom would at least hear me out when I fucked up as a kid and was in trouble but my dad wouldn’t.

If I were ever to vote for a Republican again, I might vote for two Rs and two Ds for SCOTX.  But since I'm not going to do that, I'm going to have to vote for Staci Williams.

6 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Lindsay saying people of color “con go anywhere” so long as they are conservative is going to bite him in the ass big time. That and ramming through this SCOTUS judge when voting already has begun. I think he’s sacrificing himself on the alter of Trump. 

all this talk about "Lindsay" and "ass" and "ramming". 

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I agree with this by the way. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And some of those folks are going to be judging the down-ballot races by how hard their supported Trump.  "Don't support Trump enough, don't get my vote!"

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Peters problem seems to primarily be low Name ID.  His favorables are 47% positive, 35% negative, 18% No Opinion. I just can't imagine enough people voting Biden and then pulling the lever for a GOP Senate challenger to pull James ahead. Especially since MI recently re-instated straight ticket voting.

I imagine there would be a difference in results for a script that said "Do you plan on voting for Peters or James" vs. a script that says "Do you plan on voting for Peters, the Democrat, or James, the Republican." 

Name recognition is something that can actually be addressed with heavy advertising.  Although, the fact that both names sound like first names of British origin doesn't help distinguishing them. 

14 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

There's your polling Ghost.  Not only is it not impacting the race but a bunch of guys are apparently looking around and thinking "I'd like to fuck a different woman in my bed, too"

Yeah.  That's wild.  Although, not totally surprising.  

I suspect the improvement with men is coincidental to the "scandal."  It's not causing them to support him; they were liable to support the Democrat anyway and they're coming home.

I suspect it is hurting him on the margins with women, but apparently not enough to make a significant difference.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah.  That's wild.  Although, not totally surprising.  

I suspect the improvement with men is coincidental to the "scandal."  It's not causing them to support him; they were liable to support the Democrat anyway and they're coming home.

I suspect it is hurting him on the margins with women, but apparently not enough to make a significant difference.

It’s the real life Campaign. Every time Will Farrell punched a baby in the face his numbers improved. It’s basically saying Will Farrell and Donald Trump had a better handle on democracy all these years than George Will. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

George Will was always a piece of shit.  

So, based on your numerous other CR posts, I'll go ahead and assume that you aren't aware of his "scandal" regarding Reagan.   

Will was on the Reagan debate prep team.  Then, post-debate, he went on TV and talked about how Reagan kicked ass in the debate, without mentioning that he was on the Reagan debate prep team. 

48 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

George Will was always a piece of shit.  

So, based on your numerous other CR posts, I'll go ahead and assume that you aren't aware of his "scandal" regarding Reagan.   

Will was on the Reagan debate prep team.  Then, post-debate, he went on TV and talked about how Reagan kicked ass in the debate, without mentioning that he was on the Reagan debate prep team. 

Uhmmmm ok?  It was a joke about a stupid movie that involves politicians punching babies and dogs in the face in North Carolina house seat. I picked the most boring political pundit I could think of to contrast with Will Ferrell. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

9 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Why the fuck is Mitch McConnell laughing like a supervillian when his opponent is talking about Covid?  What the fuck is wrong with this asshole?

Laughing as he won't pass any relief to people out of work because of a pandemic. Hilarious

Amazing senate update dropped from cook political report this morning.

Georgia special has moved from lean republican to toss up. Warnock would face a tea party nut job in the run off no matter his opponent. Collins already is fucking crazy as hell and Loeffler has been running her “ more conservative than Attila the Hun” advertisements. I could see Biden winning the presidency and GOP enthusiasm being low when the run off comes around.

Alaska has moved from likely republican to lean republican 

Texas and stale Cornyn move from likely republican to lean republican.  Cornyn isn’t doing anything wrong, his problem is he’s running in a very toxic environment nationwide for the GOP. It’s literally making his race closer.

they are also very close to moving Kansas from lean republican to tossup, but haven’t done so just yet. I just want to get that stupid turtle fucker out of the majority so bad. He doesn’t do anything but confirm judges. The guy sucks at being a leader.

• Hook 'Em 3

I was half-ass listening to the news this morning when a Hegar negative ad came on. I looked up at the end and they had a shot of her in black and white riding her motorcycle down a highway and the voiceover said "too liberal for Texas". Yes, nothing screams liberal like a chick in leather riding a Harley.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I predict that Doug Jones wins. In the 2024 Special Election, after Tuberville resigns.

Tuberville's weakness is being mediocre + greedy. He's always front-man for ponzi schemes and chicanery where he's just dumb enough to get off as the "victim."

["You can't scam an honest man."-- RDCanecutter's friend in the 80s who made a living in LA as a member of a 3-Card Monte racket]

Well, after repeating "Hurdy hurr Trump Trump Shotgun Baby Jesus Hurr hurrr" enough times, Tuberville will win in 2020, a few points lower than Trump because Fuck His Thumb, but yeah, he's not in the Roy Moore league of self-destruction. So Tommy's in DC. He won't be working clever schemes anymore with fat little Georgia lawyers, he'll get his ass in a crack this time with the predator underbelly of the planet, who will buy his ass, sell his ass, use his jug-eared ass every which way.

Being Tuberville, he'll completely fuck it up, and get caught.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I think it’s telling that everyone who ran against Hegar in the democratic race hates her.  Tzinzun Ramirez and west both can’t stand her.

DCCC anointed her early on, she bailed on a good bit of candidate forums to raise chump change, and it became glaringly obvious in the runoff it rubbed the others the wrong way. If she can’t take 10 minutes to call someone who challenged her she probably won’t last long in the senate if she by some miracle makes it.

Hope she wins tho

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

DCCC anointed her early on, she bailed on a good bit of candidate forums to raise chump change, and it became glaringly obvious in the runoff it rubbed the others the wrong way. If she can’t take 10 minutes to call someone who challenged her she probably won’t last long in the senate if she by some miracle makes it.

Hope she wins tho

I certainly agree with that. She’s obviously someone who needs to learn a little more about humility and politics.

22 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Hope she wins tho

I voted for her in the primary and will in the general. I doubt she ousts stale Cornyn. I just hope she gets as close as possible to scare republicans in the future.

we probably would’ve been better off with West over her tho.

Edited by Voldemort86