Anyone give a shit about the technologies at the theaters?

52-80

I started noticing recently, that the nearby theaters advertise all sorts of brand mumblejumble- HFR, Immersive Sound, Atmos, D-Box, 4K, Laser Projection, JBL Blu Link Sound, Real D Ultimate Screen, SDDS, Dolby EX, etc

They don't uniform deals with the suppliers for the entire theater either, so every room and every movie (in multi-room screening) has a different set of AV tech

Does anyone or have anyone actually ever given a shit?  For me I avoid 3D when available, and once in a blue moon I'll chase after IMAX (of which there are like 100 variants).... but other than that it's the Title + Time that drives the decision

• Like 3

I love the hell outta advance seating purchase so you don't have to arrive to the theater like you're flying to Instanbul for the weekend and going through customs if you want a decent seat.

As for the AV, not one fuck given.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I started noticing recently, that the nearby theaters advertise all sorts of brand mumblejumble- HFR, Immersive Sound, Atmos, D-Box, 4K, Laser Projection, JBL Blu Link Sound, Real D Ultimate Screen, SDDS, Dolby EX, etc

They don't uniform deals with the suppliers for the entire theater either, so every room and every movie (in multi-room screening) has a different set of AV tech

Does anyone or have anyone actually ever given a shit?  For me I avoid 3D when available, and once in a blue moon I'll chase after IMAX (of which there are like 100 variants).... but other than that it's the Title + Time that drives the decision

I remember that my dad desperately tried to get us tickets to one of the Indiana Jones movies at a particular theater because it was shot and shown in 70mm.  So he cared.  

I care that the screen is big and the sound doesn’t suck. If there are buzzwords that tell me that then yes, I care. 

I went to a theater recently that happened to be one of the few holdouts in the area which hadn't upgraded to leather recliners for seating.  It was disappointing.

I don't really care about 3D, IMAX, and the rest.  I also try to avoid dine-in theaters where servers are walking around the theater during the film. It's distracting.

• Like 1

I don’t like 3D, and movies are rarely filmed in IMAX format so seeing them there isn’t worth it, and the movie can look stretched.

However, the AMC Dolby Cinemas are a very noticeable upgrade. Think of it as OLED for movie theaters. The blacks are totally black, the picture is super crisp, and the sound is awesome. The massive down side is that tickets are $20-plus apiece which is insane. So I won’t go to the one by me unless it’s a movie that I think will really benefit from it.

Otherwise I drive a little further to Studio Movie Grill which is about $9, has advance seating, and will bring me beers to my seat. That’s all I really want.

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

I also try to avoid dine-in theaters where servers are walking around the theater during the film. It's distracting.

I've gotten so used to this that it's not a distraction anymore.  And I love getting beer during my movie, so it's hard for me to go to a theater that doesn't serve during the show. 

Regarding the AV technology, I'm really a Luddite, so I can't tell much of a difference in technologies and don't really care. 

9 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

Reserved seating, the seats and the wide aisles at Alamo have me going there and only there. I also like all the weird stuff they do it just seems to be more fun than seeing a movie elsewhere. 

Yeah, the beer and the pre-movie funky shit they show are the reason I get to the movies 30 minutes early.

My theater has 4 screens, and only 1 has the recliners. 

I found out by asking if an upcoming movie would be put in the recliner theater, that that is part of the contract negotiations. The answer I got was they hadn’t bought that movie yet, but the luxury theater was already promised to a different movie. 

Makes me wonder how many of these gimmicks are to effect movie house take of sales. 

The kids and I try to avoid the 3D. I’m not a big fan of IMAX either, I don’t really dislike it I just don’t think it’s worth the price. I couldn’t care less about any of the technical aspects of the theatre. I guess I’m just a Luddite. I’m a big fan of reserved seating because I hate being forced to sit through their commercials in order to avoid the front row. My kids love the recliners, but I don’t really like them unless I’m taking my daughter to see one of the stupid animated movies because then I can get a good nap in.

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I used to care about all that shit. Now I just want a place that will keep assholes from talking and texting and where I can grab a beer and decent food. So Alamo it is, but mostly for the queso and breakfast tacos. 

i am happy to do the matinee first morning showing.

i sought out a D-Box theater (Galaxy here in Austin) for the Tron sequel and one of the Fast and Furious movies.   Worth it for Tron, but a limited gimmick since movement isn’t as much as it’s implied. 

I regret not seeing Doctor Strange in IMAX. 

I actively avoid 3D movies.  

I love advanced ticketing for seat sales.  

5 hours ago, slorch said:

I love the hell outta advance seating purchase so you don't have to arrive to the theater like you're flying to Instanbul for the weekend and going through customs if you want a decent seat.

As for the AV, not one fuck given.

Joey, have you ever been in a... Turkish prison?

6 hours ago, Tom said:

I went to a theater recently that happened to be one of the few holdouts in the area which hadn't upgraded to leather recliners for seating.  It was disappointing.

I don't really care about 3D, IMAX, and the rest.  I also try to avoid dine-in theaters where servers are walking around the theater during the film. It's distracting.

This.

Hate that fucking bullshit.

Now that my wife can drink at the theater, we see a lot more movies now. So that’s good. Her taste in movies isn’t great, so I see some shitty movies every now and then. Looking at you Insidious 3. As far as the technology, I don’t really even notice how great it is and definitely don’t seek it out. Just don’t be shitty.

I had stopped going to the theatre. I was just over the usual theatre experience. I went to Ipic a few times but it’s too fancy for my taste. We fell in love with the local Alamo theatre. It’s not as nice, but there’s less people and we can get drinks. I dont notice the people walking in the aisles. 

22 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I sure do dig those fucking recliners tho!

I know I am odd man out, but I don't care for the recliners.  Maybe its just the ones at the theaters I use the most, but they aren't as comfortable as the seats they had before.  It's a bit like changing a bucket seat for a bench seat to me.    I'd rather sit upright than recline in the theater.   Weird because i can watch TV all day in my recliner at home.   Guess it's mainly how they recline that bugs me, where the support is.

54 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I know I am odd man out, but I don't care for the recliners.  Maybe its just the ones at the theaters I use the most, but they aren't as comfortable as the seats they had before.  It's a bit like changing a bucket seat for a bench seat to me.    I'd rather sit upright than recline in the theater.   Weird because i can watch TV all day in my recliner at home.   Guess it's mainly how they recline that bugs me, where the support is.

Yeah the recliners aren't the same in all the theaters, & I've found that some are very comfortable while others aren't comfortable at all.

Interstellar in 2D at the Bob Bullock IMAX was the absolute best movie experience of my life.  I went by my self and the crowd was silent and seated the entire time. That organ music was rattling my balls and eyeballs when he enters the black hole.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Now that my wife can drink at the theater, we see a lot more movies now. So that’s good. Her taste in movies isn’t great, so I see some shitty movies every now and then. Looking at you Insidious 3. As far as the technology, I don’t really even notice how great it is and definitely don’t seek it out. Just don’t be shitty.

Your wife just turned 21? Congrats  to you man. 

I’m in the no 3D camp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sleep off ugly said:

Your wife just turned 21? Congrats  to you man. 

I’m in the no 3D camp.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah. No 3D for me either. 

8 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, Team No3D here, too. 

Actively avoid it. It sucks.

3D sucks. I dont know why, but it makes my eyes tired for some reason. I just have no desire to see anything in it. It cheapens the movie to amount to basically a few carnival tricks. 

I worked at Lakehills Theatre through the mid 80's. I remember the conversion of one of the theatre rooms to THX. Boston Acoustics and Kliptch speakers were rolled in. Massive amounts of sound insulation were added to keep the noise bleed from the other theatres down. Then they brought in sound engineers from George Lucas' company to tweak and certify the room.

Beverly Hills Cop 2 was the first film shown there in THX...good times.

7 hours ago, Elvis said:

Interstellar in 2D at the Bob Bullock IMAX was the absolute best movie experience of my life.  I went by my self and the crowd was silent and seated the entire time. That organ music was rattling my balls and eyeballs when he enters the black hole.

bob bullock is the best place to a see a movie in the state of texas.  can’t speak for the lesser states.