Dan Crenshaw

Ted Lange

• 5 weeks later...

15 years of being involved in politics, I just realized the power of the right terminology.  

Don't call them Civil Rights, Equal Rights, Voting Rights, or Women's Rights.  

Start calling them Civil Freedoms, Equal Freedoms, Voting Freedoms, and Women's Freedoms.  

You may not get what you want, but you'll sure as shit enjoy watching tens of millions of flustered Americans say, "What the fuck?  Did we miss a meeting?"  

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

"I think conservatives wrongly view cancel culture as a very simple question of either being able to say whatever the hell you want or being silenced," Crenshaw said. "It is not that simple. And I wanted to craft this story that kind of exposes the nuance of what we mean by cancel culture."

There's two ways to read that.  1) Dan is full of shit, and the book actually does exactly what the conservative movement does: lament the loss of the ability to say and do whatever awful shit you want with zero consequences, or 2) it actually sends the message he says above, in which case he'll be cast out as a RINO libtard.

I had high hopes for Crenshaw, and I actually enjoyed his book Fortitude on Audible.  Then I watched him in 2020 and had amazon refund my credit, well past the return date, because his politics are startlingly incongruous.

He has the same problem as virtually every other somewhat reasonable republican politician, in that his underlying worldview got lost in broadcast and social media's vitriolic cacophony and he ended up in the shit flinging GQP's whirlpool.

I'm not saying he is misunderstood - What he writes in books is the antithesis of his messaging in social and broadcast media.

To @Brisketexan's point - it's #2 - like Adam Kinzinger, Liz Cheney, et all, but he's a dilettante, a disappointing, duplicitous shitbird.

I don't disagree with the man he probably thinks he is, but I despise what he has become.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I'm not saying he is misunderstood - What he writes in books is the antithesis of his messaging in social and broadcast media.

To @Brisketexan's point - it's #2 - like Adam Kinzinger, Liz Cheney, et all, but he's a dilettante, a disappointing, duplicitous shitbird.

I don't disagree with the man he probably thinks he is, but I despise what he has become.

It's about what he pretends to be - a Trumpkin.  Because he clearly does not buy into a lot of the bullshit.

In a sane world, what he writes and what he occasionally says, you know actual honest, rational things that go against the Trump worldview, would set him up to be a leader in the next generation of Republican leaders.

But he has to toe the Trumpian line.

And ultimately, your record is who you are, and if he says and does stupid shit to placate the Trumpkins, he's no better than a Gym Jordan or Ron DeSantis.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

The publisher of the Dr. Seuss collection removes some titles from print due to portrayals of characters that are insensitive. "CANCEL CULTURE!!!!!!"

Katy ISD removes books and cancels Newbery Award Winning author's visit when parents complain the books promote critical race theory, although the books are told from the perspective of a young black student. "Fine, all fine. Nothing to see here."

Dan is trying to have all the cookies.

17 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I had high hopes for Crenshaw, and I actually enjoyed his book Fortitude on Audible.  Then I watched him in 2020 and had amazon refund my credit, well past the return date, because his politics are startlingly incongruous.

He has the same problem as virtually every other somewhat reasonable republican politician, in that his underlying worldview got lost in broadcast and social media's vitriolic cacophony and he ended up in the shit flinging GQP's whirlpool.

Before being elected, he was a moderator of a pretty alt-right Facebook group that promoted the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville. We're not talking about some guy who used to be someone else, but was unfortunately transformed by politics. He's always been the asshole he is, he's just better than most of the other assholes at pretending to be someone else.

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Before being elected, he was a moderator of a pretty alt-right Facebook group that promoted the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville. We're not talking about some guy who used to be someone else, but was unfortunately transformed by politics. He's always been the asshole he is, he's just better than most of the other assholes at pretending to be someone else.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that.

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Well shit, forget what I said then.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 1:26 PM, C-Man said:

Where is this Island of Free Ice Cream, and can I get there from Port A?

(I'd be elated with the Sandbar of Reduced Price Gold Medal Ribbon.)

Isn't it sort of a politician's job to read the room he is in and tailor his message accordingly?  

Don't these guys have to be graded on some kind of terrible curve?

How many politicians are honest, transparent, and effective?

Pretty much all say different things at different times.  Plenty of Dems were for the filibuster in the past and against it now.  Plenty of Republicans cared about the budget under a Dem president and in the minority and not so much when they had the majority.

I read him as sort of a traditional Republican that is forced to respect Trump's influence over the Republican base and the primaries.

55 minutes ago, YChang said:

Frustrating that he sounds "sane" in a format like this but then goes and post BS on his social account and doesn't seem to push back at all on his fellow GOP colleagues. 

Caught that the other night and thought the same thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I was wondering why Crenshaw has been so quiet recently.

If I didn't hear everything else that Crenshaw has pushed, or saw how many times he shied away from openly criticizing other Republicans who were going off the rails, I'd say he was a Republican I could easily get behind based on that one video clip.  

I mean, he's said things here and there that clearly led up to this moment, but it's December of 2021 and he only seems to be finding or sticking to his moral compass now?

That’s not going to play well in his new district. Montgomery County is borderline kkk friendly  ….

Among the most significant changes is the redrawing of the state's 2nd congressional district – which snakes around the urban core of Houston and is currently represented by Crenshaw – to a more exurban, solidly Republican district by adding in a big chunk of Montgomery County, a GOP stronghold. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 12:36 PM, wildcat09 said:

We've spent years telling "mainstream" Republicans that if they keep going back to that racism well they were going to hit a big fucking pool of antisemitism, and their response was always "I don't have a racist bone in my body I just support stronger borders and you'd call anyone you disagree with a nazi! I LOVE ISRAEL ISRAEL IS MY HOMEBOY HOW CAN I POSSIBLY BE DOING ANTISEMITISM!?" 

It feels kind of rewarding to be proven right by history.

This feels relevant today.

• 2 weeks later...