Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Or you could answer my original question...but you won't because you're a troll. In any case, I'm done because I've found you to have none of the intelligence associated with your username.

Darn it...that’s disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

what’s the significance of his username?

It is a palindrome?

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

what’s the significance of his username?

Fairly certain you already know that your sock is a possible reference to William James Sidis who while extremely intelligent claimed to have the highest recorded IQ ever at 254 and speak nearly 30 languages. His life ultimately proved to be quite disappointing...like this conversation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Fairly certain you already know that your sock is a possible reference to William James Sidis who while extremely intelligent claimed to have the highest recorded IQ ever at 254 and speak nearly 30 languages. His life ultimately proved to be quite disappointing...like this conversation.

ok.  is that it?

2 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Username extremely checks out

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mike Roach: How UT commit Floyd will make impact in Horns' defensive scheme

Texas struck gold when it landed De’Gabriel Floyd. The four-star linebacker from Westlake (Calif.) opened the floodgates for the Longhorns to recruit out West and became a vocal leader in the 2019 class. Floyd also came along at the right time for Texas. The team is trying to find solutions at linebacker, and the state of Texas isn’t producing numbers at the position.

Playing the position in a conference like the Big 12 requires a specialized skillset. In a league full of air raid offenses, smaller linebackers who thrive in coverage are left vulnerable against the run. On the same token, more traditional linebackers that can stop the run are often exploited in space by the high-octane offenses they face on a weekly basis. Floyd is the solution to the problem.

His running back-like athleticism in a linebacker frame stands out on the field. Sure, he can fill gaps and thump opposing runners, but he can also return punts at the high school level with surprising effectiveness. Combine those traits with his seek-and-destroy mentality and you have a player capable of throwing a wrench into even the most well-oiled offensive machines.

Under Jim Mora Jr., UCLA found a cheat code in Myles Jack. At 245 pounds, Jack had the build to play inside with the speed to run sideline-to-sideline and blitz up the middle. Floyd shows flashes of the same ability on film. Though his testing numbers aren’t impressive on paper, his game speed appears to be faster. His exceptional short-area burst makes all of the difference when it comes to shooting a gap and making a play in the backfield.

At first glance, Floyd looks like a “Mac” in the Texas defensive scheme. His bulky frame and downhill style appear to mirror Anthony Wheeler, but his sudden ability means he’s a potential difference maker at the “Rover” position. While the “Mac” typically plays heavy on the run, the “Rover” is tasked with disguised blitzes to generate additional pass rush through the inside gaps. This is typically accomplished by showing a rush from the “B-backer” and then dropping him into coverage while the “Rover” attacks the vulnerable inside.

In a more traditional set where the “B-backer” is rushing from the edge, the “Rover" is asked to provide secondary run support, trail short and medium routes and spy the quarterback in the run game. Floyd’s skillset means that Todd Orlando can move him around and deploy him in different personnel packages with other players to maximize speed and playmaking ability.

Orlando’s defense is designed to feature playmaking linebackers, and there was no better example of that than the 2017 version. The combination of Gary Johnson and Malik Jefferson turned the Longhorn defense into a borderline elite unit capable of stopping run and pass. Texas took a step back in 2018 after losing Jefferson to the draft. The physical limitations of Wheeler have been exposed by several teams on their schedule.

Floyd will arrive on campus in January to participate in offseason conditioning and spring football. Getting a jump on the rest of the class will mean he can compete for immediate playing time in the fall. Floyd’s spring enrollment means that help is on the way for Orlando and Texas.

Eric Nahlin: Recruiting Q&A

Seriously though, who do we have the best shot at landing of the national recruits? Bru McCoy, or Trey Sanders?

Bru. I'd have him at 60% but they need to get back to winning. I have Cain more likely than Sanders.

Number of spots you think we'll still have open after signing day 1?

I think the class goes to 27 and it's currently at 20. By NSD 1 I think the class will have about 23, give or take. I think most will sign early, but I'm not 100% sure on how that shakes out exactly. Probably only 3-4 spots for new commits/signees.

Does 9-3 vs 8-4 record realistically impact any individual recruit, if so, who? Seems like 7-5 certainly could, but to me 8 or 9 should be enough progress to not lose a recruit.

At this point I don't think so. Obviously winning helps but there isn't much difference between 8-9 wins. The offense coming to life helps. The defense being poor is a good sell for immediate playing time for Caleb Johnson and whatever Juco DL they target.

Saw banks got a usc offer today... What’s the word on his senior season? I haven’t seen a compilation of highlights yet. Seem like he’s still a take?

He's been out of sight, out of mind so I haven't watched him and don't plan on going to watch him. It's very curious that he chose to de-commit from LSU rather than them just making room. I don't think he's a take but that could change for the staff. They do need CB depth and long-term help. Best guess is he'll end up at A&M.

Percent this is the finish? | Caleb Johnson | Cain | Bru | Lewis | Warren | Hookfin | Catalon

Looks feasible. I think they'll take a Juco DL and they want a Juco OL so numbers will get interesting. They may short the lines and try to address them in the grad transfer market.

Is Kennedy Lewis going to commit soon? Are we slow playing him waiting for McCoy, or are they projected for two different positions?

He says he might commit soon. They're projected to two different positions, but they could go without another Z which is what Lewis is. Lewis is a tricky one and the info is kinda sensitive. I'll say this, Herman really likes him.

Is Dylan Wright the closest 2019 Receiver comparison to Jordan Humphrey, or is it actually Elijah Higgins?

I don't see Wright as similar to LJH. He's a more explosive vertical threat. Higgins is a slot or flex guy who could also play outside so to me he's more similar to Humphrey. He's a naturally big guy, he'll have to work to keep the pounds off.

When is Caleb Johnson expected to decide? Texas or Oregon?

Late this month, after his last OV. Texas is prioritizing him and I think they'll have the better schematic sell. I'm actually leaning towards UT given how Oregon has recruited him but I won't feel comfortable until he announces. They could blow him away on his visit. He's a coin flip which is good news given my original concerns over Oregon.

Any chance of going after the 5 Star LB that is teammates with Watson ? Thought he visited once.

They already went after him and he picked Auburn. If he flips I'd guess Georgia.

Is Port Neches Grove record of 6-3 concerning at all? How has Roschon looked? For some reason I expected they'd be 9-0 and dominating. I haven't tracked this closely at all...just saw their record of 5-3 last week and raised my eyebrows.

This year was always going to be a bit of a struggle. He's looked good, though he hasn't always had help. He's had an ankle injury that sidelined him for a game or two. I went and saw him and made a post that illustrated how he isn't getting as much help as last year.

Impact out of state recruiting has on in-state high school coaches? (If any)

Minimal. That's always overblown. Herman does a good job of massaging the egos of Texas HS coaches, many of which are divas. Most of course are not.

Decommit concerns?

I would predict no de-commits at this point but I'm watching Watson with mild concern.

Do you predict the Houston kid from Oklahoma signing with Texas? I have a feeling he may not, never hear about him these days.

I do. Not hearing a peep from a commitment isn't necessarily a bad thing. A coach at his school tells me he's locked in.

Is Kenyatta Watson Sr a Texas friendly asset?

Pretty much.

Obviously, Texas early on had to navigate the negative recruiting barrage but now that Texas is 6-3 (even with a tough couple weeks) have they circled back on any kids that might have been sold on that pitch earlier in the cycle?

Nope. You have to remember this staff is especially down on the in-state talent this cycle. They heard that stuff and said, screw it, we should to OOS anyway. That isn't to say there aren't a few guys they like, but most of those stories are written.

Are there any PWOs on the radar that could end up being steals like Travis West and the Brockermeyer kid last cycle? I understand if you can't name them right now.

Westlake LB Jake Ehlinger and DL David Neil.

Stripling? Anything of note there or has he tumbled down everyone’s boards?

Looks like he's OV'ing to OU. That's made the most sense to me as they have room. He's certainly down everyone's board but he was also overrated to start.

What does a Lewis commit do for the numbers, anyone squeezed out? Or does this just further illustrate our need to move on from certain WRs that the staff feels not so great about?

To me it signals they don't have a shot at Wilson but they'll likely keep trying at least until Bru decides one way or the other.

% goes down for Bru now? Nothing changes?

No change. They wouldn't risk all the work they've put in there.

If they were in the same class, how would you rank Cain and Ingram as RB prospects out of high school?

Ingram gets the nod over Cain due to individual play-making ability, but I love Cain's fit for this offense. Love it. You can build everything around him.

IF there are moves on the staff after the season (IF), do you think it makes sense to bring in someone with ties/connections to the West Coast, or is that overrated? I suppose some guys can recruit anywhere, even without prior connections.

The prudent thing is to just hire the guy who checks the most boxes like he did with Hand. Recruiting is a trait you can evaluate and a guy who can recruit in Florida can recruit in California. Now, if he has built in ties to certain schools or a region that is going to net you guys, then account for that.

Will a 24th consecutive Alamo Bowl impact NSD1 or NSD2? The meh factor will be high.

Recruits believe Texas is on the way back. That's what's important.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've not even been in this conversation but you still felt compelled to bring me into it because I am taking up space in your head, rent free. Thanks for that. Also, calling automatons like Machinator and texifornia “emotional” is unintentional comedy, the only kind you’re capable of providing. 

I have no idea what you could be talking about

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

Watching Hookfin tonight as his Dulles team takes on Ridge Point. He been matched up against 4* Nelson Caesar most plays.

Hookfin had advantage early but seems to have tweaked something and Caesar been eating him up since. 

Hookfin definitely looks the part though. Good foot, great hands. Doesn't look like he is carrying any bad weight. Would love to see him in a year or two.

Is Kennedy Lewis going to commit soon? Are we slow playing him waiting for McCoy, or are they projected for two different positions?

He says he might commit soon. They're projected to two different positions, but they could go without another Z which is what Lewis is. Lewis is a tricky one and the info is kinda sensitive. I'll say this, Herman really likes him.

hmmmm

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You can't identify them until they decide to reveal themselves. Usually there is a debutante ball or something where all the grad transfer DL come out and revel themselves to all the coaches in the audience. 

This spring, the debutante camp is in Eugene. Nike event. 

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

He just found out Waddle is grad transferring to Texas

waddle is transferring here, yes, but not as a grad.  he has filed paperwork to arrive on the 40 acres in december.  he’ll be a sophomore next season with 4 to play 3.  I’m excited because he adds considerable talent to our offense at the slot position.