How Fox News works

retread

19 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Not to call you out or anything, but did you know what "drip" was? The others make sense, but I only know drip, because I asked my high-school students about it last year.

My kid used it when describing a friend's Minecraft skin, and I asked if it was good or bad, and he said drip was good.

My response was 

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Because

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

In my day, drip meant you go see the doctor for a shot of penicillin.  That’s not the case anymore? 

That's why it stuck out to me.

edit: My kid is in elementary, so he sometimes mangles slang, but he and his friends use all kinds of slang when playing Minecraft, Among Us, etc.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rupert Murdoch stepping down as chairman of Fox Corp. and News Corp.

Billionaire media mogul Rupert Murdoch is stepping down as chairman of Fox Corp. and News Corp., effective mid-November, he announced Thursday.

Why it matters: Murdoch, 92, is considered one of the most influential media figures in the modern era.

• His son, Lachlan Murdoch, will replace him as chair of both firms.
  • Rupert Murdoch will be appointed chair emeritus of both companies.

Details: In a note to staff, Murdoch said, "For my entire professional life, I have been engaged daily with news and ideas, and that will not change."

• "But the time is right for me to take on different roles, knowing that we have truly talented teams and a passionate, principled leader in Lachlan who will become sole Chairman of both companies."

The big picture: Murdoch steps down at a time of major transition.

• Fox Corp. sold its entertainment assets to Disney for $71 billion in 2019, leaving it mostly focused on live television news and sports, as the cable industry continues to face record cord-cutting.
  • News Corp's business has expanded in recent years to include more business data and services. Its publishing business faces a looming threat from artificial intelligence.

On 9/3/2023 at 12:48 AM, atomheartbevo said:

I'm closing in on 50 and know what all of those mean.

Shock What GIF by ProBit Global

On 9/3/2023 at 12:58 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know bet and mid- but I wouldn’t struggle with figuring it out when I need to know them. 

On 9/3/2023 at 6:54 AM, Hawndoh said:

Mid is about the easiest "slang" to understand in the world. It's almost so literal it can't qualify as slang.

And bet is just short for "you bet", meaning yes or sure thing.

On 9/3/2023 at 8:47 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Sus is “suspect” from the Among Us game.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:42 AM, 4th&Five said:

Everything to my 15yo is “below mid.”

On 9/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Not to call you out or anything, but did you know what "drip" was? The others make sense, but I only know drip, because I asked my high-school students about it last year.

On 9/4/2023 at 8:35 AM, YGIFS said:

The "drip" still tastes like aspirin, right?  Asking for a friend.

Sorry I'm late fellas, but I see you have it covered. Most of these words are cycling through for the second time. My daughter thought she was speaking slang words we didn't know and I dug up some stuff from the 90's  of people saying "sus or suspect" or "cap, no cap, high capping". These kids are unoriginal these days. We didn't recycle slang back in our day.

Edited by Thatguy

21 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I feel like somehow this changes nothing, but one can hope they'll stop their descent into complete fascism, but I'm not holding my breath

12 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Isn’t the consensus that Lachlan is as bad or worse?

That seems to track what I've read here and/or elsewhere. He might be worse at running shit but I think his politics are even more heinous than Rupert's.

• Hook 'Em 1

Was sitting in an airport restaurant in Newark last night and they were playing Fox Business.  Even their business channel was just straight up propaganda.  They weren't even trying to be somewhat factual. I knew it was bad from clips I've seen here, but I didn't think it was quite that bad.  It's just fact free news, with special guest appearances by that dumb football coach that snuck out the bathroom window when hosting a recruiting dinner in Lubbock.  Wow.

2 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Was sitting in an airport restaurant in Newark last night and they were playing Fox Business.  Even their business channel was just straight up propaganda.  They weren't even trying to be somewhat factual. I knew it was bad from clips I've seen here, but I didn't think it was quite that bad.  It's just fact free news, with special guest appearances by that dumb football coach that snuck out the bathroom window when hosting a recruiting dinner in Lubbock.  Wow.

It's infuriating. When I try and tell people that Fox News is straight-up poison I get responses like, "Well, so is CNN hurr durr" etc, etc. They're not even remotely the same. At least CNN tries -- emphasis on "tries" -- to resemble a legitimate news entity. Yes, they fuck up from time to time. Yes, it's sensationalistic at times (as TV is wont to be) but they're not trafficking in straight-up Pravda-esque fairy tales.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, C-Man said:

It's infuriating. When I try and tell people that Fox News is straight-up poison I get responses like, "Well, so is CNN hurr durr" etc, etc. They're not even remotely the same. At least CNN tries -- emphasis on "tries" -- to resemble a legitimate news entity. Yes, they fuck up from time to time. Yes, it's sensationalistic at times (as TV is wont to be) but they're not trafficking in straight-up Pravda-esque fairy tales.

And there is no way to disabuse these people of that notion.  It is hard wired.

the primary thing that makes Fos NOT a News Station, is the omission of actual news when it might make the snowflakes shiver.

Today one of the big news stories is one of the co-conspirators in the Trump elections RICO case in Georgia took a plea deal.  Try to find that actual piece of news ont he Fow "News" website.  It doesn't exist!  Because Fox isn't a new station, it is a propaganda network run by foreigners with no allegiance to the United States at all.

And the lemmings slop it up....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

These people can seamlessly hold these thoughts simultaneously: "swearing is a horrible thing" and "maybe gay people shouldn't be allowed to exist."

My mother in law watched Top Gun Maverick with us a few months back, and she enjoyed it the whole way through. Right up until they say "fuck" one time (if there's ever been a more appropriate time in cinema history to swear than when you steal an old F-14 from a Russia-adjacent military base and then have an enemy jet flat spin 50 ft away from you to avoid a missile, I'd love to hear it); then, she spent the next week telling everyone who would listen how awful and unnecessary the movie was.

She had no real opinion of the LGTBQ community until she became heavily involved in Church, and now two girls holding hands in a commercial results in disgust and ranting.

My wife's uncle--who used to be a pretty solid dude, questionable politics aside--literally can't go 3 minutes anymore without bringing up "transvestites in schools" in polite company. He wrote "Woke" in Sharpie on a box of Bud Light on a chartered fishing trip last weekend, and then bragged about it for 4 days.

They're broken people, drifting through life clinging to one manufactured outrage after the next. The olds, especially, need their fix after Fox and the Internet got their hooks in.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

These people can seamlessly hold these thoughts simultaneously: "swearing is a horrible thing" and "maybe gay people shouldn't be allowed to exist."
My mother in law watched Top Gun Maverick with us a few months back, and she enjoyed it the whole way through. Right up until they say "fuck" one time (if there's ever been a more appropriate time in cinema history to swear than when you steal an old F-14 from a Russia-adjacent military base and then have an enemy jet flat spin 50 ft away from you to avoid a missile, I'd love to hear it); then, she spent the next week telling everyone who would listen how awful and unnecessary the movie was.
She had no real opinion of the LGTBQ community until she became heavily involved in Church, and now two girls holding hands in a commercial results in disgust and ranting.
My wife's uncle--who used to be a pretty solid dude, questionable politics aside--literally can't go 3 minutes anymore without bringing up "transvestites in schools" in polite company. He wrote "Woke" in Sharpie on a box of Bud Light on a chartered fishing trip last weekend, and then bragged about it for 4 days.
They're broken people, drifting through life clinging to one manufactured outrage after the next. The olds, especially, need their fix after Fox and the Internet got their hooks in.
Basically aggies amirite?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:
6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Basically aggies amirite?

Rural California. But I guess same same.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

In my experience those who have strong visceral reactions to seeing  gay couples or causual homosexual interests are usually harboring strong homosexual tendencies.  There is a good chance your MIL has licked some clit and your wife’s uncle wears a bra and panties (NTTIAWWT)

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

In my experience those who have strong visceral reactions to seeing  gay couples or causual homosexual interests are usually harboring strong homosexual tendencies.  There is a good chance your MIL has licked some clit and your wife’s uncle wears a bra and panties (NTTIAWWT)

And then my wife has the audacity to ask me why I never want to drive to Sacramento to see her family for Christmas.