2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Just back load Cole's contract with Bonilla deferrals. The only reason Cole should leave is because he wants to pitch somewhere else.

You also need your pitchers you have developed to take steps forward.

So you potentially screw your future self? Not happening. The only way Cole stays is if he takes less money and years to play for Houston and I don't see him doing that if we win the series this year. 

Estimates are Cole could get a seven-year, $245 million contract and this team that we all love was not built with the philosophy of signing huge, risk laden long term contracts. I don't think anyone is expecting Cole to turn into a Carlos Lee (even though they would only be 1 year a part from signing their extensions) but there is so much that can go wrong in 7 years and we won't have a lot of options with that kind of contract.  Just enjoy watching Cole now and have faith the staff will continue to put a good product on the field.  

• Like 1

Tickets questions.  If we buy 2 tickets to all 4 WS games and only go to 1 of the games(knock on wood), is it fairly likely we will get our money back for the game we do go to and possibly make money if there is a game 6 and/or 7?  I would be selling them on stubhub and buying through the Astros lottery pre-sale.  They won't be great seats, but they will still be much cheaper than the going rate on stubhub.

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Right, but if I sell game 1 and go to game 2, I'll probably break even.  If there are a game 6 and 7, I can sell them if we don't go and end up making money off the deal.  At least that's my thought.

A) it’s the World Series, go

B) you’ll get at least face, if not more  Houston fans will pay 

C) JUST FUCKING GO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Tickets questions.  If we buy 2 tickets to all 4 WS games and only go to 1 of the games(knock on wood), is it fairly likely we will get our money back for the game we do go to and possibly make money if there is a game 6 and/or 7?  I would be selling them on stubhub and buying through the Astros lottery pre-sale.  They won't be great seats, but they will still be much cheaper than the going rate on stubhub.

Speaking as someone that did something very similar in 2017, you should be able to double up your ticket costs, but it's not certain.  In 2017 when the Astros lost Game 4, ticket prices for Game 5 on Sunday plummeted. After StubHub fees were taken out, my bad upper deck tickets barely made a profit on Game 5. (Greatest home game in Astros history) 

One big distinction in 2017 is that Houston didn't host a WS elimination game. That only happened in LA for games 6 & 7.  If the Astros/National make it to Game 6 (or 7) in Houston, there's no precedence on what Houston fans would pay to see an Astros championship in person.  Not to mention that Nationals fans would most likely travel to Houston.  Would a SRO ticket cost $1000+?

One negative side of having WS home field advantage will be that astros would only host weeknight games. DC gets the weekend.

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

One negative side of having WS home field advantage will be that astros would only host weeknight games. DC gets the weekend.

Au contrair!  I can much more easily miracle a work trip to Houston during the week than I can on the weekend.  If we get past yanks, and there is a game 6/7 in Houston, I'll find a way to get there (although game 7 will be hard).

I attended game 5 two years ago, too.  I said fuck it and bought the tickets before Game 4.  Bad gamble monetarily, but I was in Section 219 fifth row directly behind home plate.  In retrospect, I got my money's worth for that game no matter what I paid.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

20 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Au contrair!  I can much more easily miracle a work trip to Houston during the week than I can on the weekend.  If we get past yanks, and there is a game 6/7 in Houston, I'll find a way to get there (although game 7 will be hard).

I attended game 5 two years ago, too.  I said fuck it and bought the tickets before Game 4.  Bad gamble monetarily, but I was in Section 219 fifth row directly behind home plate.  In retrospect, I got my money's worth for that game no matter what I paid.  

very humble

51 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Not sure if it's already posted but Verlander will pitch game 5 in New York on Friday according to Hinch. No idea what the plan would be for game 6.

Yankee shills on XM radio seem to think A.J. will pitch Cole on short rest.

I think not.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

If we win tomorrow, I’d throw the bullpen on Friday, and have Verlander and Cole go in Houston. 

World Series starts Tuesday. If JV starts on Saturday, he’s not available until game 3 on normal rest. So you’re locking in a bullpen game or JV on short rest for game 2 with your “strategy”.  Let’s just say you wouldn’t be real high on the list of replacements for AJ.

• Like 3

This is stating the obvious, but I can't sleep, so I'm gonna type.

We need to get through to Tanaka early tomorrow.  It doesn't have to be a huge 4- or 5-run inning.  They're in a position that if we have 2 on the board and 2 more on base by the 2nd inning, anything dangerous like that, they've got to yank him.

And the sooner we get into that bullpen, the better.  I don't care how good they are; if we can make the best arms in their bullpen throw 5 or 6 innings tomorrow, it helps a ton for the rest of the series.  If we can do that and win, they're pretty close to thoroughly and properly fucked.

And as I've said before, I've got a feeling we're gonna hit Tanaka tomorrow.  He's basically a pretty good junk baller, whose stuff is different from most guys' stuff in this era, so it's an adjustment to hit against him.  But I'd love to see his career ERA in the second of two starts against the same team within a week.  I bet it's significantly higher than his career ERA overall.

Cliff Notes: get some hits early.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

Interesting.

Back Yuli and Verlander out of that and it's probably 23...

Joking, but not joking. Astros don't seem that old at all.  How many of the starting 9 are 29?  Hell, how many are 25?

Edited by Iceman

19 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Back Yuli and Verlander out of that and it's probably 23...

Joking, but not joking. Astros don't seem that old at all.  How many of the starting 9 are 29?  Hell, how many are 25?

Back McCann out of Atlanta's roster and they are probably closer to 20 years old average age.

Also, that's a pretty stupid stat.  Today's young teams are aiming for postseason spots a few years from now, not today.  It's like saying the Astros were dumb for loading up on draft picks in 2013 / 2014 instead of trying to sign more Carlos Lee's.

It’s funny that the narrative of the postponement is that it helps the Yankees in game 4 because they can start Tanaka instead of having a bullpen game. Did people forget that we are also avoiding a BP game and now can start Greinke? The Yankees BP is better equipped for such a game than ours. And  Greinke is, by most counts, a far superior pitcher to Tanaka. Admittedly, Tanaka has a good playoff record but has been decidedly mediocre in the larger sample size of the regular season. Advantage Astros. And anyone who is questioning starting JV in game 5 is an idiot. You always want to give yourself the best chance to win. Kick that bullpen game down the street as long as possible.  Not to mention the WS rotation ramifications. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s funny that the narrative of the postponement is that it helps the Yankees in game 4 because they can start Tanaka instead of having a bullpen game. Did people forget that we are also avoiding a BP game and now can start Greinke? The Yankees BP is better equipped for such a game than ours. And  Greinke is, by most counts, a far superior pitcher to Tanaka. Admittedly, Tanaka has a good playoff record but has been decidedly mediocre in the larger sample size of the regular season. Advantage Astros. And anyone who is questioning starting JV in game 5 is an idiot. You always want to give yourself the best chance to win. Kick that bullpen game down the street as long as possible.  Not to mention the WS rotation ramifications. 

Every online article I read is that this is helping the Astros more that we can close this out without having to go to the BP start. Our top 3 are so dominant that everyone seems to give the BP game to the Yankees as it would be a must-win for them.