Getting old sucks

Hate

Very long time daily reader, but very rare poster 

Figured I’d add a little to this thread, and apologize for length of post

Little boring history:

• fixing to turn 60
  • 5’8,  162 lbs
  • non-smoker but having trouble stopping dipping 
  • former quite heavy drinker, stopped cold in Jan 2014 due to pretty f’ing bad seizure (4 months rehab) - turns out had a few untreated minor ones before big one 
  • Prior surgeries:  left ankle x2, left knee scope, fake left hip, fake right hip, right knee full blown, right leg open fracture tibia and fibula, right wrist/right elbow, and right shoulder that I refuse surgery on

Been truly exercising for 30+/- years

• Exercise: used to run, but had to give it up after hips…..and told to get treadmill and start strenuous walking…..did that for 20 years but recently had to stop and move to elliptical
  • Daily mornings during work week:  40 woodchops, 2 sets per side of straight side planks, 300 crunches, 35 mins on elliptical 
  • Every night:  30 mins of flexibility/stretching exercises

No soreness

I admit that I exercise mainly because I don’t want to be a fat-ass, but also because I’d guilt myself to death if I didn’t or if I even skipped a session

Other than the woodchops, I can’t do much with weights (shoulder and elbow); however, I’d appreciate any feedback / suggestions about where I can improve on the aerobic side of things 

Woke up yesterday with bad lower back pain and just attributed it to being in the car most of the day Saturday with few breaks, but pain worsened throughout the day and solid sleep was out of the question.  So I called out of work today but couldn't get in to see a dr/ortho and ended up going to an Ortho Urgent Care center, got diagnosed with a pinch nerve and I'm out of work this week. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/22/2023 at 11:13 AM, former alkie said:

Very long time daily reader, but very rare poster 

Figured I’d add a little to this thread, and apologize for length of post

Little boring history:

• fixing to turn 60
  • 5’8,  162 lbs
  • non-smoker but having trouble stopping dipping 
  • former quite heavy drinker, stopped cold in Jan 2014 due to pretty f’ing bad seizure (4 months rehab) - turns out had a few untreated minor ones before big one 
  • Prior surgeries:  left ankle x2, left knee scope, fake left hip, fake right hip, right knee full blown, right leg open fracture tibia and fibula, right wrist/right elbow, and right shoulder that I refuse surgery on

Been truly exercising for 30+/- years

• Exercise: used to run, but had to give it up after hips…..and told to get treadmill and start strenuous walking…..did that for 20 years but recently had to stop and move to elliptical
  • Daily mornings during work week:  40 woodchops, 2 sets per side of straight side planks, 300 crunches, 35 mins on elliptical 
  • Every night:  30 mins of flexibility/stretching exercises

No soreness

I admit that I exercise mainly because I don’t want to be a fat-ass, but also because I’d guilt myself to death if I didn’t or if I even skipped a session

Other than the woodchops, I can’t do much with weights (shoulder and elbow); however, I’d appreciate any feedback / suggestions about where I can improve on the aerobic side of things 

It seems that replacing the elliptical with something would be the only change? What’s wrong with the current workout? I just quit running due to stress fractures in the foot and psoas muscle discomfort. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I turned 50 today and am down about 20 lbs since mid-August with a few more to go.  Lots of yogurt, salad, and resistance to snacking to make that happen.  I was on Ozempic for a few years to kickstart an earlier weight loss journey when nothing else seemed to get it going (I'd piled it on after recovering from a torn biceps tendon).  But after a week of nearly intractable hiccups in early August (with zero issues prior to that), I'm done with Ozempic and determined to get back down to a healthy weight with a better diet and continuing the regular exercise I've had throughout my life.  Blood panels are good.  Had a single polyp last colonoscopy and am due for one next year.  I'm on a minimal statin does 3x per week and blood pressure meds.  That sort of thing runs in the family unfortunately and was an issue when I was in my late 20s at an ideal weight.  Could be worse. 

Cheers, you old farts!

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I turned 57 this past July. The randomness of ailments that can last for a few minutes, a couple of hours, or a few days are frustrating.

I am 5’-11” and around 215 pounds. I am very active but carry most of my weight in my stomach (genetics?). Try to play full court basketball 3 days a week but I travel a lot so that makes it difficult to do. I also try to get at least 10k steps in a day along with some pushups and sit-ups. Having business travels and travel food is difficult to manage.

Trying to get back down to my normal weight of 205.

4 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I turned 57 this past July. The randomness of ailments that can last for a few minutes, a couple of hours, or a few days are frustrating.

I am 5’-11” and around 215 pounds. I am very active but carry most of my weight in my stomach (genetics?). Try to play full court basketball 3 days a week but I travel a lot so that makes it difficult to do. I also try to get at least 10k steps in a day along with some pushups and sit-ups. Having business travels and travel food is difficult to manage.

Trying to get back down to my normal weight of 205.

Pass the ball more often and they won't call steps on you as often.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Turned 50 last week. I'm at work, getting some files from the cabinet and the phone rings. I have to navigate this chicane from one filing cabinet, around another, then to my desk. I get there and feel my back pop as I lunge for the phone. The motherfucker had already hung up. 

• Rage+1 2

37 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Turned 50 last week. I'm at work, getting some files from the cabinet and the phone rings. I have to navigate this chicane from one filing cabinet, around another, then to my desk. I get there and feel my back pop as I lunge for the phone. The motherfucker had already hung up. 

Two of my kids are older than you. What are doing in here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Woke up yesterday with bad lower back pain and just attributed it to being in the car most of the day Saturday with few breaks, but pain worsened throughout the day and solid sleep was out of the question.  So I called out of work today but couldn't get in to see a dr/ortho and ended up going to an Ortho Urgent Care center, got diagnosed with a pinch nerve and I'm out of work this week. 

Ortho Urgent Care? I gotta move closer to civilization.

23 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Bottles of Advil don't last nearly as long as they used to.

That’s a thing I have noticed about aging.  I do not think I ever used an entire bottle of any kind of OTC medicine prior to about 35.  Advil, NyQuil, Sudafed, etc. all would be thrown out due to expiration.  Now I consistently run out of that kind of shit.

12 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Who the fuck answers the phone?

My office phone is mounted to the wall behind a credenza.  Occasionally, the receptionist will buzz me on the intercom asking if I want to speak to some national bar rep.  After several answers of "no, thank you," I think she must just put them on perma-hold and not even bother asking at this point, which is a good thing.  The fact that I don't have to field phone calls is probably why I've stuck with this job for over two decades.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

That’s a thing I have noticed about aging.  I do not think I ever used an entire bottle of any kind of OTC medicine prior to about 35.  Advil, NyQuil, Sudafed, etc. all would be thrown out due to expiration.  Now I consistently run out of that kind of shit.

Throw expired meds away? You're not that old then. I just took Tylenol that expired in 2018 because I never throw anything away and it's all I had in my truck.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 10/24/2023 at 8:11 PM, Dbeasy said:

It seems that replacing the elliptical with something would be the only change? What’s wrong with the current workout? I just quit running due to stress fractures in the foot and psoas muscle discomfort. 

Thank you…….I’ve always felt that I’ve been doing pretty damn good for a number of years.

Reckon I was just seeking verification from others that I’m doing OK

\,,/

Went out to brunch with the family today, the football pregame show was on the TVs. They showed the crew for one of the upcoming games and I said to myself "Man, Trent Green looks old. I guess that's understandable, as he's been out of the game for years". Then the names popped up on the screen and it turns out it was actually Matt Ryan. Fuck.

• Haha 1

Went to the ER yesterday after 4 days of pain on my left abdomen. Combined w/ not being able to pass gas/stomach bloated and constant pain it was time.

After blood, urine and CT scans they found out I had Diverticulitis and gave me a bunch of antibiotics and some pain pills. This getting old(er) is literally painful.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 7:50 AM, Mother mopar said:

Went to the ER yesterday after 4 days of pain on my left abdomen. Combined w/ not being able to pass gas/stomach bloated and constant pain it was time.

After blood, urine and CT scans they found out I had Diverticulitis and gave me a bunch of antibiotics and some pain pills. This getting old(er) is literally painful.

Welcome to the club. Have some nuts and cheese.

• Like 1

Diverticulitis sucks a big fat donkey dick.  When I had it, they sent me right from the CT Scan to the hospital check-in.  I was told the size of the abscess would probably require surgery.  Fortunately, it managed to heal without surgery.
I knew a guy who recently died a horrible, agonizing death including spending his final 10 days on a ventilator due to diverticulitis. Sepsis had set in. 56 years old. He was also an aggy, unemployed, a raging alcoholic & little to live for, but the moral of the story is something, something listen to your doc.
  • Like 3

The young guy kneeling was there for his 50th reunion. Dunno if he’s still there on the floor or not.

Yes, St.Edward’s High School was an all male day/boarding Catholic school on the campus of St. Edward’s University in South Austin. 
The high school was phased out & closed by 1966 or 67.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2