Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The news I want out of Alaska, is when the first episode of Molly from Denali show up on the PBS kids app.   My kids are obsessed with it, thanks to all of the advertising.

No idea what you’re talking about but we did actually hit 90 at the airport yesterday. 

We took the kids to the zoo yesterday and my two year old wanted to ride the train (Chugga Choo Choo). A couple from Michigan got in the two cars behind us. Before the train took off, I heard the lady say “I thought it was humid in Michigan, this is worse.” I turned around and laughed while her husband shook his head. It was only about 90 and the humidity was not that bad.

7 minutes ago, EE2B said:

We took the kids to the zoo yesterday and my two year old wanted to ride the train (Chugga Choo Choo). A couple from Michigan got in the two cars behind us. Before the train took off, I heard the lady say “I thought it was humid in Michigan, this is worse.” I turned around and laughed while her husband shook his head. It was only about 90 and the humidity was not that bad.

going from Michigan to Texas in July is doing it wrong.  

• 3 weeks later...

OverHeard a woman this morning say she was “freezing” when she left home just after sunrise.  She was wearing a sweater when I saw her. 

Granted it was slightly cool at 60-65

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

OverHeard a woman this morning say she was “freezing” when she left home just after sunrise.  She was wearing a sweater when I saw her. 

Granted it was slightly cool at 60-65

Ha! My GF took the dog out at 7:30 this morning and came in and said the same thing. I left after she said it but I can almost guarantee that she wore a sweater to work.

5 hours ago, hornian said:

59 degrees at ABIA this morning. All time record low temp for July. 

Is this real life?

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Austin weather today is absolutely perfect.  

Yes!  Today reminds me of this quote:

“My Uncle Alex, who is up in Heaven now, one of the things he found objectionable about human beings was that they so rarely noticed it when times were sweet. We could be drinking lemonade in the shade of an apple tree in the summertime, and Uncle Alex would interrupt the conversation to say, "If this isn't nice, what is?"

So I hope that you will do the same for the rest of your lives. When things are going sweetly and peacefully, please pause a moment, and then say out loud, "If this isn't nice, what is?”

--Kurt Vonnegut

• Like 1

Tomorrow morning another record low possible.  I usually take an evening walk, this morning I took one about 7.  It was glorious.

Heat.humidity returns by Sunday, temps knocking up near tripdigits early next week - i.e. normal.  In fact, it's probably gonna be well up in the trips, a little hotter than normal ( the end ofr the 2nd of the two hottest weeks of the year) - so enjoy this one now.  Aug. 5-12 or so looks to be the hottest weather so far... but again, yeah, like okay, so what?

Alright, turn it up [/Lynyrd Skynyrd].

Something is coming.  It's called "August."  That's Latin for "Fuck this heat!"

After a spring and summer much cooler than normal, with more rain than normal, next 2-3 weeks expect to be... well... normalish.  Temps will easily clear 100° a few times (I'd say at least half of the next 15).

But this week is the 2nd of the 2 hottest weeks on avg.  So yeah, that's what it do.

Despite the rain, July might go on record as one of the driest ever - only it don't seem like it because well a lot of spots around Mabry and ABIA have gotten some good rain, and we also had enough rain over the past 6 months so the ground only now is starting to dry up (i.e. hasn't seemed like it's been bone-dry).

We do have a pretty good shot at some rain tonight or maybe tomorrow as a weak front either clears us or gets near enough.  After that, it's... Austin in summer.  Good luck, we're all counting on you.

It was a good run from May thru July.  It’s been an honor serving with most of you.  

This would be a good time to proactively remind some of you that no matter if the kids are back in school, no matter what Jim Spencer says on September 1st, what Labor Day means to your family, etc.  September is summer in Austin.  While it may bring college football and a sense of seriousness in business, it’s a bullshit cesspool of awful weather and lingering funk.  

One good thing about August, we all hate it together.  Young and old.  For some reason, some sick fucks think September means Autumn.  It don’t.  So get your Patagonia off and get me a cold beer 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

It was a good run from May thru July.  It’s been an honor serving with most of you.  

This would be a good time to proactively remind some of you that no matter if the kids are back in school, no matter what Jim Spencer says on September 1st, what Labor Day means to your family, etc.  September is summer in Austin.  While it may bring college football and a sense of seriousness in business, it’s a bullshit cesspool of awful weather and lingering funk.  

One good thing about August, we all hate it together.  Young and old.  For some reason, some sick fucks think September means Autumn.  It don’t.  So get your Patagonia off and get me a cold beer 

Someone once told me that the 14 day window, with September 15th being the center of this window, we always get a front (will not call it cold) but it will be nice and cool mornings, dry north winds and cooler highs in the afternoon.

Seems to be true. 

My daughter's birthday is September 30th.  We typically have a pool party at the house and the weather is always iffy.  We've had to move about half of them indoors over the years, due to rainy/cool conditions.

My son't birthday is September 10th. We typically have a pool party at the house and the weather is almost always blast furnace level. 

That 20-day period in-between usually has a major shift in weather for us in Central Texas.

39 minutes ago, utee94 said:

My daughter's birthday is September 30th.  We typically have a pool party at the house and the weather is always iffy.  We've had to move about half of them indoors over the years, due to rainy/cool conditions.

My son't birthday is September 10th. We typically have a pool party at the house and the weather is almost always blast furnace level. 

That 20-day period in-between usually has a major shift in weather for us in Central Texas.

The almost 3 year old's birthday is September 9th, and my wife is due again on September 25th. So I guess this is my future.

5 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Do y'all even Invest 95L, bros?

tenor.gif?itemid=10340128

Too much shear down there (and trust me, you don't want shear down there).  Maybe when it moves up to the Bahamas something could happen, but nah.

However, welcome to long track is back month!  3 systems moving west from Cape Verdes, the newest of them is worth keeping an eye on. (Hurricane thread later if it matters).

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

My sister's birthday is Sep. 30. So is her daughter's.