The Supremes

tx 3 putt

47 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I knew they'd come out strong against Griswold and Obergefell, but I gotta be honest, I didn't see this coming:

now here's another excellent example of the paradox of tolerance - it's completely intolerable to even consider that interracial marriage may not be legal. And yet, that's where the dialogue is at if you engage with the right. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wow.  The legality of interracial marriage should be left up to the states?  They don't even try to keep some of this shit quiet at this point.

In other news, Braun used to be a Democrat.  I'm sure he was very popular in that caucus.

Why is a focus on the bottom line literally a race to the bottom? – TOWARDS  LIFE-KNOWLEDGE

lulz at his backtrack attempt:

“Earlier during a virtual press conference I misunderstood a line of questioning that ended up being about interracial marriage," Braun said. "Let me be clear on that issue — there is no question the Constitution prohibits discrimination of any kind based on race, that is not something that is even up for debate, and I condemn racism in any form, at all levels and by any states, entities, or individuals.”

it does?

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/22/mike-braun-indiana-us-senate-interracial-marriage-law-loving-virginia/7131891001/

reminiscent of michael scott "if you are racist i will attack you with the north."

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

now here's another excellent example of the paradox of tolerance - it's completely intolerable to even consider that interracial marriage may not be legal. And yet, that's where the dialogue is at if you engage with the right. 

Location checks out:

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 4.56.06 PM.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I know it's political and all, but I think when the actual vote comes down she sails through with little trouble.

Yup, 51-50.

Actually, Romney might do the right thing and avoid needing a vp tie breaker, but who knows anymore.

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i bet it is a lot more than 51 votes.  they'll use it contrast themselves against Ds and say how reasonable they are and how mean Ds were to Kavanaugh and what not.

Laughing Rofl GIF - Laughing Rofl Lol - Discover & Share GIFs

Maybe Collins will vote yes to continue her pretense of being a moderate. 

52-48 at best.

Worst case scenario, Manchin/Sinema find a way to be "disturbed" about critical race theory or some shit. I don't think they'd block this, but I don't put anything past anyone anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

lulz at his backtrack attempt:

it does?

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/22/mike-braun-indiana-us-senate-interracial-marriage-law-loving-virginia/7131891001/

reminiscent of michael scott "if you are racist i will attack you with the north."

What a weasel. How can he claim "I misunderstood a line of questioning that ended up being about interracial marriage" when that was the explicit question? Here is the word-for-word question:

REPORTER: "You would be okay with the Supreme Court leaving the issue of interracial marriage to the states?"

SEN. MIKE BRAUN (R-IN): "Yes. If you are not wanting the Supreme Court to weigh in on issues like that, you are not going to be able to have your cake and eat it too."

Any noted Republican scholars care to explain what was unclear about the question?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Laughing Rofl GIF - Laughing Rofl Lol - Discover & Share GIFs

Maybe Collins will vote yes to continue her pretense of being a moderate. 

52-48 at best.

Worst case scenario, Manchin/Sinema find a way to be "disturbed" about critical race theory or some shit. I don't think they'd block this, but I don't put anything past anyone anymore.

I believe a reasonable number of Republicans will vote to confirm because they know she’s going to be confirmed. I’ll bet Ben Sasse votes to confirm. 

22 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i bet it is a lot more than 51 votes.  they'll use it contrast themselves against Ds and say how reasonable they are and how mean Ds were to Kavanaugh and what not.

No Way What GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition

At what point in the last decade has the GQP indicated "reasonable" is part of their stance?

They blocked Merrick Garland's nomination and stole a SC seat. Then they pushed through both of Trump's nominees. And don't forget the federal judges Trump nominated who would be lucky to serve as a paralegal at Lorenz and Lorenz.

Anyone thinking the GQP is going to move back to being a centrist, party of compromise is full of something.

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I believe a reasonable number of Republicans will vote to confirm because they know she’s going to be confirmed. I’ll bet Ben Sasse votes to confirm. 

What do they possibly have to gain from that? Their voters are full bore hatred for literally anything Biden does. Also, cough cough, just look at her, cough cough, crt. They have every incentive in the world to vote against confirmation and a lot to lose if they approve.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What do they possibly have to gain from that? Their voters are full bore hatred for literally anything Biden does. Also, cough cough, just look at her, cough cough, crt. They have every incentive in the world to vote against confirmation and a lot to lose if they approve.

It’s certainly possible that I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see. Still, I’ll be surprised if Sasse doesn’t vote to confirm. He seemed pretty friendly. 

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

What a weasel. How can he claim "I misunderstood a line of questioning that ended up being about interracial marriage" when that was the explicit question? Here is the word-for-word question:

REPORTER: "You would be okay with the Supreme Court leaving the issue of interracial marriage to the states?"

SEN. MIKE BRAUN (R-IN): "Yes. If you are not wanting the Supreme Court to weigh in on issues like that, you are not going to be able to have your cake and eat it too."

Any noted Republican scholars care to explain what was unclear about the question?

Nothing was unclear.

Braun is guilty of one thing, and one thing only: saying the quiet part out loud.  The GQP is absolutely, 100%, an insane fringe movement (which happens to control the Senate and dozens of states, so.....not so fringe....which is even worse) that wants to dial back everything since Dred Scott, which they see as the last good SCOTUS decision and the high-water mark of American policy.

Edited by Brisketexan

The Republican Party has fully regressed to the 1930's and 50's thinking. If interracial marriage was left to the states, I would not be surprised that Greg Abbott and his minions would be against it and it would be made illegal by the Republican controlled Texas Legislature. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s certainly possible that I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see. Still, I’ll be surprised if Sasse doesn’t vote to confirm. He seemed pretty friendly. 

Sasse will confirm, unless he was harping on some interpretation of the Constitution. He’s bulletproof in Nebraska, and his superficial tifs with Trump makes him untenable in a national contest.

This is an extremely dumb group of republicans senators 

holy shit is this country fucked. If you’re an R and think any of these idiots are a good representative of your party, you have shit for brains. 

I think you’re misreading the situation. Many are very smart, but they are pandering to very dumb constituents for primaries
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I think you’re misreading the situation. Many are very smart, but they are pandering to very dumb constituents for primaries

This. She is a judge being asked stupid fucking questions by a room full of lawyers regarding her nomination to the Supreme Court. Most of these fuckers are lawyers that attended prestigious law schools and not TAMU School of Law Online. They are certainly not aggy dumb they are just representing the aggy dumb.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

This. She is a judge being asked stupid fucking questions by a room full of lawyers regarding her nomination to the Supreme Court. Most of these fuckers are lawyers that attended prestigious law schools and not TAMU School of Law Online. They are certainly not aggy dumb they are just representing the aggy dumb.

Some of them are just flat out racists. John Kennedy actually complimented her on being “articulate.” Funny, I don’t recall anyone saying that to Amy Coney Barrett.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, the white man just isn’t getting a fair shake here. Sad! Unfair!

It’s a matter of America getting a fair shake. Such an important position and let’s disqualify an extremely high percentage of qualified persons.

When you do that you get Kamala Harris.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 11

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

It’s a matter of America getting a fair shake. Such an important position and let’s disqualify an extremely high percentage of qualified persons.

Do you think you’re a racist or not? You sound like one. 

• Like 1

Biden, Trump, Pence, Harris
Rate them based on intelligence.
  • Hook 'Em 1

A decade of Trump tweets talking about "smocking" guns, secure "boarders," and legal "council..."  ... not to mention a hundred examples of him asking his chief of staff if Finland was part of Russia, or telling an Israeli audience that he just "flew in from the Middle East," or suggesting that doctors inject bleach to kill covid, or failing to color an American flag as well as children who just started attending school?

But now you think America is not "getting a fair shake" from two black women?

Screen-Shot-2022-03-23-at-12-12-13-AM.pn

44 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

A decade of Trump tweets talking about "smocking" guns, secure "boarders," and legal "council..."  ... not to mention a hundred examples of him asking his chief of staff if Finland was part of Russia, or telling an Israeli audience that he just "flew in from the Middle East," or suggesting that doctors inject bleach to kill covid, or failing to color an American flag as well as children who just started attending school?

If trump hadnt been born very rich, he would have been a down on his luck used car salesman. 3 ex wives, multiple kids 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If trump hadnt been born very rich, he would have been a down on his luck used car salesman. 3 ex wives, multiple kids 

He'd be in jail or dead because someone couldn't stand his shit.  Maybe a realtor in the Dallas burbs.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

“Person, woman, man, camera, tv.”

Nailed it!

Black women are the most educated group in the USA today, @po elvis.

Edited to correct my mistake, out of respect. But, as WWS points out down thread, I originally typed ‘woken,’ instead of ‘’women.’ Support Surly and you, too, can edit such mistakes past five minutes.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Explained

200.gif

At what point in the last decade has the GQP indicated "reasonable" is part of their stance?
They blocked Merrick Garland's nomination and stole a SC seat. Then they pushed through both of Trump's nominees. And don't forget the federal judges Trump nominated who would be lucky to serve as a paralegal at Lorenz and Lorenz.
Anyone thinking the GQP is going to move back to being a centrist, party of compromise is full of something.

It’s not about them being reasonable. It’s about it being bad politics to make this nasty when there’s really no dirt and they don’t ultimately have the votes. So it’s certainly still self interested in that sense. 52-55 votes sounds about right.

8 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Let's not forget trying to buy Greenland and wanting to take down a hurricane with a nuclear fucking warhead.