Trump's Trade War

F250

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't have the time to go back and catch up, and I've been out of town and blissfully off media for the past two days:

Has anyone explained why Trump felt the need to delay tariffs past Christmas if tariffs don't affect US consumers?

The question has been asked but remains unanswered.

RV's are definitely a luxury item, in that folks don't go buy new unless they have confidence simply because of the rapid depreciation.  When manufacturer's cut hours to a 4 day versus a 5 day week, that's a 20% hickey to the workers AND the local economy. I guess it's better to lose 20% of a paycheck than an entire paycheck.  Trumponomics coming into full swing.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Elkhart voted Trump nearly 2:1 over Hillary

Despite a dem president fixing a republican presidents problem.  He took their employment from 1 in 4 unemployed to 1 in 25.

I have no sympathy for these racist fools.  They don't deserve the houses they live in - for the time being anyway.

OTOH sounds like it's almost time to get a good deal on an RV

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Elkhart voted Trump nearly 2:1 over Hillary

Despite a dem president fixing a republican presidents problem.  He took their employment from 1 in 4 unemployed to 1 in 25.

I have no sympathy for these racist fools.  They don't deserve the houses they live in - for the time being anyway.

OTOH sounds like it's almost time to get a good deal on an RV

It's truly amazing, honestly. This is why I laugh when I see posters talk about people voting with their wallets. You could set your watch by that all the way up through the 90s. Now people watch a Dem president fix their fucking problems and then vote for the exact opposite. This dumbshit town will vote for Donald 2:1 again in 2020 as well. Nothing makes sense anymore. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

It's truly amazing, honestly. This is why I laugh when I see posters talk about people voting with their wallets. You could set your watch by that all the way up through the 90s. Now people watch a Dem president fix their fucking problems and then vote for the exact opposite. This dumbshit town will vote for Donald 2:1 again in 2020 as well. Nothing makes sense anymore. 

As twitter said

Let them eat RVs

• Like 1

It's the economy, stupid. Everyone should be hammering away at Trump regarding the economy. His most important promises are failing Bigly, it should be announced every hour of the day.

Last week in

Pennsylvania, Trump said his 25% tariff on foreign imports has turned a "dead" business into a "thriving" enterprise.

US Steel plans to temporarily lay off up to 200 workers in Michigan

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/08/19/us-steel-plans-to-lay-off-hundreds-of-workers-in-michigan.html

• Like 1

Trade wars are easy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/business/china-tariffs-trump.html

The Chinese government announced on Friday that it would retaliate against President Trump’s next two batches of tariff increases on Chinese goods by imposing its own tariff increases on American imports, in the latest sign that neither side is prepared to back down in their trade war.

The State Council Tariff Commission in Beijing said it would impose extra tariffs of 5 percent or 10 percent on $75 billion worth of American goods. The new tariffs will take effect on Sept. 1 and on Dec. 15, according to the commission, which did not provide the value of how much would be penalized in the first batch and how much in the second.

Those are the same dates when Mr. Trump’s next batches of 10 percent tariffs are scheduled to take effect. Chad Bown, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington, estimated earlier this month that the tariff categories identified by the Trump administration represented $112 billion in goods facing extra 10 percent tariffs on Sept. 1 and a further $160 billion on Dec 15.

The news from Beijing sent markets lower in Europe in afternoon trading there. Futures markets indicated that Wall Street would open lower, too.

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Imo, at this pont China / Xi is just out to embarrass him 

As we all predicted, they have Trump's balls in a vice.   He's up for re-election next year.  Xi is president for life with total power to keep his people in line.  They can handle temporary pain and deal with the next president.   He can't survive an economic downturn. They've been stringing him along with this fentanyl deal and almost agreeing to a trade deal and then backing out, and he's too stupid to realize it. He actually tweets out "We had an agreement but China backed out!" and "China hasn't stopped fentanyl like the promised!" to show how mean they are, when all it does is show what a moron he is 

Edited by Mojo Hand

I'm anxiously awaiting our resident Trump-suckers to come along and let everyone how just how great a job the President is doing.  They were all so proud just a few weeks ago.  I'm sure their chests are swelled with pride this evening with the President "ordering" American companies around, sinking the Dow Jones, increasing tariffs on China in retaliation for their imposing tariffs, and doing his best to bring on a recession.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

He's a fucking lunatic 

Trump Says He Will Raise Existing Tariffs on Chinese Goods to 30%

Source: New York Times

WASHINGTON -- President Trump, angered by Beijing's decision on Friday to retaliate against his next round of tariffs and furious at his Federal Reserve chair for not doing more to juice the economy, said he would increase taxes on all Chinese goods and demanded that American companies stop doing business with China 

Mr. Trump, in a tweet, said he would raise tariffs on $250 billion worth of Chinese goods to 30 percent from the current rate of 25 percent beginning Oct. 1. And he said the United States would tax the remaining $300 billion worth of imports at a 15 percent rate, rather than the 10 percent he had initially planned. Those levies go into effect on Sept. 1. 

"China should not have put new Tariffs on 75 BILLION DOLLARS of United States product (politically motivated!). Starting on October 1st, the 250 BILLION DOLLARS of goods and products from China, currently being taxed at 25%, will be taxed at 30%," Mr. Trump said in a tweet. 

Those levels are likely to exacerbate the financial pain already being felt from the tariffs as companies and consumers face higher prices for products that they buy from China. Even before the new 30 percent rate, the tariffs were expected to cost the average American household more than $800 per year, according to research by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. 

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/business/china-tariffs-trump.html 

33 minutes ago, Mapache said:

He's a fucking lunatic 

Trump Says He Will Raise Existing Tariffs on Chinese Goods to 30%

Source: New York Times

WASHINGTON -- President Trump, angered by Beijing's decision on Friday to retaliate against his next round of tariffs and furious at his Federal Reserve chair for not doing more to juice the economy, said he would increase taxes on all Chinese goods and demanded that American companies stop doing business with China 

Mr. Trump, in a tweet, said he would raise tariffs on $250 billion worth of Chinese goods to 30 percent from the current rate of 25 percent beginning Oct. 1. And he said the United States would tax the remaining $300 billion worth of imports at a 15 percent rate, rather than the 10 percent he had initially planned. Those levies go into effect on Sept. 1. 

"China should not have put new Tariffs on 75 BILLION DOLLARS of United States product (politically motivated!). Starting on October 1st, the 250 BILLION DOLLARS of goods and products from China, currently being taxed at 25%, will be taxed at 30%," Mr. Trump said in a tweet. 

Those levels are likely to exacerbate the financial pain already being felt from the tariffs as companies and consumers face higher prices for products that they buy from China. Even before the new 30 percent rate, the tariffs were expected to cost the average American household more than $800 per year, according to research by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. 

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/business/china-tariffs-trump.html 

Nope it’s intentional at this point. Trump controlled entities are going to make money on the American economy going in the tank, so trump is gonna try to take the economy down for his own profit. Then once the economic situation is desperate enough he’ll declare martial law and declare himself dictator. Thus avoiding his sure to come prison sentence.

That’s the plan anyway. I concede he’s a big enough idiot to not get it to actually work. But like the pres likes to say, “I guess we’ll see.” 

46 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He started a war he didn't need to fight. He's losing the war and his supporters don't care. 

Not much different than the past GOP president. Only difference, Trump started a stupid, elective economic war we can't win that will take decades to dig out of, rather than a stupid, elective shooting war we can't win that has and will take decades to dig out of.

Still plenty of time for him to start a shooting war with Iran though, so maybe he'll get to do both before Nancy finally decides it's a priority to impeach the stupid motherfucker. 

• Like 4

For some reason trump is hinting he may force American companies to exit the China market. While everyone is exactly uncertain wha that really means, how does it hurt China is American companies would either need to shut down operations or sell them to a Chinese buyer? Seems like that would be a help to China. 

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For some reason trump is hinting he may force American companies to exit the China market. While everyone is exactly uncertain wha that really means, how does it hurt China is American companies would either need to shut down operations or sell them to a Chinese buyer? Seems like that would be a help to China. 

Hinting is a funny way of characterizing "I hereby order."  He's explicitly telling them leave "voluntarily" or else face a sanctions regime under the IEEPA. 

I know that there's no explaining the actions of a mad man, but can someone refresh my memory as to why Trump started tariffs on China. I remember that it immediately followed Hope Hicks getting roughed up by the HPSCI, but were there any other events around that time that could explain it?

So, up till this point, the Trade war has largely gone as trade wars do: tit for tat.  Trump is a fool, the Chinese are proud and nationalistic, wash/rinse/repeat.

Until yesterday.  To me, the Chinese decision to raise tariffs was less tit for tat, and more an attempt to bait Trump into going nuclear, thus damaging the already fragile global economy, and wrecking his reelection prospects.  In essence, the Chinese decided they'd rather undergo the pain of a full blown trade war now, in hopes they get a Democrat to negoatiate with in 18 months.

And Trump took it, hook, line, and sinker.

• Like 6

They probably backed out of a deal with him.  If they were still pouring money in to Trump Inc, he wouldn't care.  We know about the $400 million deal that they backed out of with Kushner and there's probably more.

Edited by kevwun

11 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

So, up till this point, the Trade war has largely gone as trade wars do: tit for tat.  Trump is a fool, the Chinese are proud and nationalistic, wash/rinse/repeat.

Until yesterday.  To me, the Chinese decision to raise tariffs was less tit for tat, and more an attempt to bait Trump into going nuclear, thus damaging the already fragile global economy, and wrecking his reelection prospects.  In essence, the Chinese decided they'd rather undergo the pain of a full blown trade war now, in hopes they get a Democrat to negoatiate with in 18 months.

And Trump took it, hook, line, and sinker.

If they really wanted to infuriate him you'd think they'd just revoke all those trademarks they gave him and Ivanka right after he first took office.  Hell, maybe they did and it just hasn't been reported on.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 2:36 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

And, unlike Obama, they need to hold the previous administration to account for their crimes. None of this "need to look forward" bullshit. 

absofuckinglutely.  If you don't bury the head separately from the body they come back.  See John Bolton.  See Fred Fleiss and others.  The same fuckers reincarnate to pull the same shit after a little time and public forgetting. 

One main realm where legal consequences are being meted out unlike ever before relates to FARA violations, and we're just getting started.  Hopefully that doesn't lose steam or get trap-doored by Trump, future Dems, or their mutual paymasters.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:32 PM, Mojo Hand said:

Looks like Elkhart County went for Trump 64-32 over Hillary in 2016, so fuck 'em.  Enjoy the tariffs you voted for! 

The comedy writes itself...they will find a way to blame "the left"

Here comes the great rv bailout of 2019. Like farmers, they will take government money with their right hand and denounce welfare with their left.

57 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

No president has squandered what he inherited from his predecessor more than Trump. 

No generation, the baby boomers a/k/a “the shittiest generation,” has squandered what they inherited more from their predecessor  generation, the greatest generation, than the boomers. Quite the legacy they’re leaving: out of control debt, out of control health care and education costs, frayed foreign relations, etc, culminating with electing trump, the biggest piece of shit president in history by a huge margin. 

The good news is 2020 is the beginning of the reversal, just like 1980 was 40 years ago the beginning of the reversal into complete boomer Shittiness. They are no longer in control as they were outnumbered as voters for the first time in 2018. 

On 8/19/2019 at 4:40 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Of course it makes sense. Tribalism is innate, rational decision-making is not. When your sense of self is shaken, instinctive drives take over. Many of those folks don’t feel they belong in a country where a black man can run things. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, softlynow said:

Of course it makes sense. Tribalism is innate, rational decision-making is not. When your sense of self is shaken, instinctive drives take over. Many of those folks don’t feel they belong in a country where a black man can run things. 

and if they have to live in a country where a black man can run things, then they'd rather just destroy the country to get back at the people who allowed that happen.

• Like 2