I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

9 hours ago, tjhooker said:

BTW why thread shit?  I posted a pic of my steak with a story and you have your comment.  You do that on any other steaks or just mine due to CR?  So ridiculous the stalking from CR.  feel better messing up the steak thread?

If that’s thread shitting then I guess 95% of surly is thread shitting.  You posted something and someone busted your balls about it.  Welcome to surly...this might not be the right place for you.  Get over yourself

On 3/29/2019 at 12:09 PM, tjhooker said:

So, I did something I told myself I'd never do.  I cooked a steak in the air fryer.  Let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised.  It was raining outside / cold and I didn't want to mess with the grill.  I wanted a steak for lunch.  I miss the grill marks but it tasted fantastic.  So if in a pinch this is a decent option.  400 degrees flip at 4 mins monitor temp. I was done in 8 mins. Cooked evenly as I thought it would. 

9Vidd1sh_o.jpg

18 hours ago, tjhooker said:

BTW why thread shit?  I posted a pic of my steak with a story and you have your comment.  You do that on any other steaks or just mine due to CR?  So ridiculous the stalking from CR.  feel better messing up the steak thread?

Your steak sucks and you should pledge to post less pics of this kind of STEAK.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Did you take that money shot photo with a 2001 motorola flip phone? 

Maybe I'm just seeing the cached version on my phone that I uploaded and imgbb is fucking with it but it looks fine from here. 🤷🏿‍♂️

2 minutes ago, huge said:

Tell me more about that onion deal

I take a sweet onion, cut it flat on the bottom, core out maybe half a golf ball on top, pour in some balsamic, top with butter, salt, pepper and then wrap in foil and throw it in the oven at 375 until it is soft. This one took about 1:45. Good stuff. 

I just grilled two HEB New York Strip Steaks. I used a hot grill pan on the stove. I do one minute on each side vertical/horizontal to create the nice diamond pattern. Outstanding.

HEB has the best affordable steaks. I'll go to Whole Foods for a nice aged steak for special occasions. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 3/30/2019 at 12:27 PM, immamac said:

Man I would love to have a surly steak "competition" where we all win and enjoy each other's fine meat skills. Let me know if there's any interest seems like it would be super fun. 

The glory hole at the truck stop might be what you're looking for.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 12:27 PM, immamac said:

Man I would love to have a surly steak "competition" where we all win and enjoy each other's fine meat skills. Let me know if there's any interest seems like it would be super fun. 

I’m in as long as @brown water is banned from the competition.  Maybe he can judge it

On 3/31/2019 at 5:59 PM, pops said:

A little strip action

20190330-190858.jpg

Steak looks great.

Question, though... What's the point of the cast iron on a charcoal grill? Why not just cook it on the grates? I've seen some of y'all do this and I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Steak looks great.

Question, though... What's the point of the cast iron on a charcoal grill? Why not just cook it on the grates? I've seen some of y'all do this and I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.

The goal here is to sear as hot as possible, not get a char from the flame.  The metal on the grate has a lot less thermal mass than the cast iron pan and will not stay as hot while the steak is searing.

Edited by Dr Fear

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:

The goal here is to sear as hot as possible, not get a char from the flame.  The metal on the grate has a lot less thermal mass than the cast iron pan and will not stay as hot while the steak is searing.

OK. Desire for sear over char makes sense. But why not just cook over the range? That steak seemed thick enough to get a good sear over a regular stove top so that it wouldn't require a nuclear-hot surface. Is this just a matter of not wanting to smoke up the house? That would make sense. This just seems like a waste of charcoal to me. 

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

OK. Desire for sear over char makes sense. But why not just cook over the range? That steak seemed thick enough to get a good sear over a regular stove top so that it wouldn't require a nuclear-hot surface. Is this just a matter of not wanting to smoke up the house? That would make sense. This just seems like a waste of charcoal to me. 

Because the grill is for the men and the kitchen is for the womenz.  And men.  And fire.  And beer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Chacoal gets hotter than my stove, don't want to smoke out the house, and with the cast iron grill pan you can add some oil to get a much better crust. Also, I reverse sear, so that steak is basically cooked. I need to get the crust as fast as possible. 

I can shut the vents down on my cooker after I'm done to snuff the fire. Probably use about 2 dollars worth of lump to cook steaks. 

Edited by pops

On 4/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, Landomatic said:

I’m in as long as @brown water is banned from the competition.  Maybe he can judge it

I believe this is a compliment but it makes me worry this board thinks I’m a heavy drinker with high cholesterol that eats steak 5 times a week and weights over 300 pounds.  I’d like to clarify I weigh less than 300 pounds. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, brown water said:

I believe this is a compliment but it makes me worry this board thinks I’m a heavy drinker with high cholesterol that eats steak 5 times a week and weights over 300 pounds.  I’d like to clarify I weigh less than 300 pounds. 

I think you have this board confused with another board. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I’ve been here but we’ve got a Spurs Game 7 and the kids are going to bed early because they are exhausted, so steaks it is!

Trimmed some fat from my wife’s but put it on top of mine to render in
4e5d846a34bcf4d28bd087e6cf42d264.jpg

Asparagus and one of the best purchases I’ve ever made was a wire grill basket. Use that thing twice a week.
3ada0f60a2954996a1a531b854bef5ac.jpg

My grilling paradise. Will be having a cigar here later watching the Spurs shut it down.
0a8fd40fbfda9fbdc9af8643f3515055.jpg

Finished with some fancy ass Himalayan pink salt and resting.
913ad4be7169e574f5b6bfea22b5136f.jpg

Get you some of this.
4ab0cc5b5714fe3f3201928eaf302f17.jpg

GO SPURS GO! (Which I had to retake because I realized there were no guns present and the steak was already gone)
520934bb723997a6805ec1cccac7bc0e.jpg

• Like 5

Looks good, what are the little bisquitettes?

They are called Brazi bites. Brazilian bread you can buy at Kroger, maybe HEB if they are open. Cheesy little bread balls, same shit they have in Brazilian steak houses.

Buy some and thank me later
  • Like 2