Super Tuesday - 1,357 Delegates at Stake

washparkhorn

28 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Polling averages:

Yeah, the Biden numbers are the most volatile.  Are they real?  The rest look weak as of Tuesday and will fold.  Just don't know what to make about Biden's support.  It's been very weak up until tonight.

With the establishment move to nominate Biden for another try in 2020, these elections need to run very smoothly. There was a problem with provisional ballots in California in 2016. It was a major source for the rift between Sanders and the DNC. It should not be happening again - especially with the conflict between Sanders and the centrists. Provisional ballots and regular ballots  were not included in the final count reported by California in 2016. Voters were told their provisional ballots were not counted. This should have been fixed, especially given the demographics of voters using this polling place.

Horrible optics in a community subject to and vulnerable to Trump. Hopefully the situation is fixed quickly. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

I'm not sure which thread to put this in. Lots of poll workers didn't show up today in Travis County causing long lines.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200303/coronavirus-fears-causing-chaos-at-travis-polls-county-clerk-says?utm_source=SND&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=statesman

The Travis County clerk’s office said fears of catching the new coronavirus are causing mass chaos at voting locations across the county at the start of Super Tuesday.

Travis County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir said 11 people, including judges who were responsible for opening some of the 175 polling locations across the county Tuesday, did not show up for work out of fear of catching the new coronavirus. DeBeauvoir said this was on top of the 31 judges who also said last week they would not come to operate the polls out of fear of catching the virus or another sickness.

“A significant number of election judges called up and said they quit,” DeBeauvoir said. “They had a variety of excuses. They just decided they did not want to do this and decided the news was scaring them, so last night we were on the phone with the parties trying to get more workers.”

DeBeauvoir said it usually takes six, but no less than three, judges and poll workers to operate just one polling location. The county clerk’s Office worked all morning to find replacements, however, while they were doing so other workers were also abandoning their posts once they realized there were not enough workers to open for voting.

As of 9 a.m. Tuesday, DeBeauvoir said Travis County had 164 vacancies after using up all of its emergency backup workers. However, all of the polling locations were now back open and running, according to the county clerk.

As far as wait times, DeBeauvoir said she had no idea how long it was taking for someone to cast their vote.

MAP: Click here to see wait times at Travis County polling places.

“The elections will go on,” DeBeauvoir said. “They always do.”

The county clerk said she now believes the new coronavirus, which has become a global health crisis with at least 10 people quarantined in Texas, is being used to disrupt the 2020 primary election.

“Nothing like this has ever happened before ... Fortunately, we have backup plans,” she said.

The problem is most of the volunteers are indeed among the most vulnerable to the virus as they are elderly. Not to mention technologically challenged. 

Isn't it sort of a joke that the richest country in the world relies on elderly, technologically incapable volunteers to administer our voting process?  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Isn't it sort of a joke that the richest country in the world relies on elderly, technologically incapable volunteers to administer our voting process?  

I was thinking about that as I cast my early vote last week. Fortunately, North Carolina uses paper ballots, so the olds weren't able to fuck anything up.

13 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I was thinking about that as I cast my early vote last week. Fortunately, North Carolina uses paper ballots, so the olds weren't able to fuck anything up.

I really like the new Travis County machines.  It's all electronic, but it then spits out a paper ballot, which has both a bar code and the name of the candidate selected.  You then take that paper ballot over to a scanner.  

Having the name on the paper ballot does provide some back-up, which I appreciate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I really like the new Travis County machines.  It's all electronic, but it then spits out a paper ballot, which has both a bar code and the name of the candidate selected.  You then take that paper ballot over to a scanner.  

Having the name on the paper ballot does provide some back-up, which I appreciate.

Sounds like the same machines in Bexar County. Felt better voting last week with them than the Atari designed ones the county previously had.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Always a conspiracy with you.

Or just a knowledge of how things work and recent history.

The Democratic Party required unaffiliated voters to use a special “crossover” ballot so they couldn’t vote for the party’s governing committee — but voters had to proactively ask elections officials for the special ballot.

“The parties set the rules,” said Dean Logan, county clerk-registrar of voters in Los Angeles County. “The presidential primary is not designed with voters in mind.”

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Whereas our shitty and very corrupt Governor who didn't resign as SoS and his newly appointed SoS got us some similar machines, BUT you do not see the names of your selected candidates at all. It's up to the system itself to decode the QR code properly meaning you literally can't have a third independent party verify your votes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Not sure if that's a statewide thing now, but the location I had to go to in Dallas County did the exact same thing.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

The California Democratic Party will just throw out those largely-minority provisional ballots.

This is the party that wants to fight voter disenfranchisement, you guys.

I personally saw Che Guevara driving a bus load of Corona virus infected illegal Commie mujahadeen to the polling place where I patiently waited in line.

They cut in line! They winked at the Black Panthers who were intimidating all the white people and proceeded to vote multiple times for Sanders and even wrote in AOC a few times.

I thought libs were all about fairness!

White votes matter!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Or just a knowledge of how things work and recent history.

The Democratic Party required unaffiliated voters to use a special “crossover” ballot so they couldn’t vote for the party’s governing committee — but voters had to proactively ask elections officials for the special ballot.

“The parties set the rules,” said Dean Logan, county clerk-registrar of voters in Los Angeles County. “The presidential primary is not designed with voters in mind.”

You fought to include a quote or link to an article that talks about how the Democrats were targeting either provisional ballots, or ballots that were cast by minorities. The article you mistakenly linked dealt with ballot confusion when dealing with independent voters, who were allowed to vote for the Dem candidates, but, understandably, not the party positions. 

• Like 1

I case anyone (like me) was wondering when polls close today:

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/3/21161503/super-tuesday-voting-polls-results-what-time

• Alabama: 8 pm Eastern, 7 pm local (though some localities unofficially follow Eastern time and may report votes at 7 pm Eastern)
  • American Samoa: 3 pm Eastern, 9 am local
  • Arkansas: 8:30 pm Eastern, 7:30 pm local
  • California: 11 pm Eastern, 8 pm local
  • Colorado: 9 pm Eastern, 7 pm local
  • Maine: 8 pm Eastern
  • Massachusetts: 8 pm Eastern
  • Minnesota: 9 pm Eastern, 8 pm local
  • North Carolina: 7:30 pm Eastern
  • Oklahoma: 8 pm Eastern, 7 pm local
  • Tennessee: 8 pm Eastern, 7 pm local (Tennessee is partially in Eastern time and partially in Central time)
  • Texas: 8 pm Eastern, 7 pm local
  • Utah: 10 pm Eastern, 8 pm local
  • Vermont: 7 pm Eastern
  • Virginia: 7 pm Eastern
  • Like 2

I mean if Bernie or Biden don't clearly win here it's over for the democratic party - Trump can campaign and DNC will be fucked up all the way through June. Pathetic really that they couldn't just rally behind someone.

• Like 1

Just now, immamac said:

I mean if Bernie or Biden don't clearly win here it's over for the democratic party - Trump can campaign and DNC will be fucked up all the way through June. Pathetic really that they couldn't just rally behind someone.

Most people don't pay attention until October.

• Like 3

I went to vote on the way to work. My poll is at a little church in the middle of nowhere. Both primaries vote there. When I showed my ID they said they couldn't find me and sorry, but I wasn't registered to vote. Luckily, I carry my voter registration card and showed them I hadn't moved, wasn't a felon, was registered and was damn sure going to vote. A minute or two later, lo and behold they figure out I was registered and they let me vote. We had new touchscreen machines, but didn't get a paper readout.

I voted in the Democratic primary for Biden and MJ Hegar for Senate. I like Warren, but don't think she can carry the ticket. FWIW, I didn't get to vote in a single local race, they were all republicans.