College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Just now, irishtexan said:

I'm just wondering what they do on scholarship limits. If 90% of the players who intended to play this year come back next year, and you don't have a year for players to learn they're never gonna see the field and they transfer, then you add a new class, there's basically no way any school will be able to stay under 85. Or every school takes like 10 players in the next two classes. 

I suspect they will just bump the limits, for a period of time.  But then again, it come down to money---some schools just can't afford it. 

The portal is going to be absolutely flooded.  

22 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Important to note; when the NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility to spring sports, it wasn't just for seniors.  Everyone got an extra year of eligibility...meaning, some schools simply are not going to be able to afford the scholarship ramifications on their spring sports in the coming years, especially without football carrying the financial load.

Great for the current players, but it would suck to be a rising HS senior.  

I've changed my mind on this subject. I'm now convinced that college football won't happen this fall. There's just no way they're going to play these games in front of no fans. The fact that the big names are talking about that idea is ridiculous. It's ridiculous because it just doesn't make sense logistically and the schools can't afford to do this anyway. College football attendance is already down across the country and if I'm CDC the last thing I want to do is give UT fans a trial run of what it's like to watch games from the comfort of the couch and unlimited beer. 

I mean, I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it. 

• Like 1

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/osu/guerin-emig-sounds-like-conference-commissioners-are-tying-return-of-college-football-to-return-of/article_e351944b-ce48-5218-a0b5-9e535be2e7b7.html?fbclid=IwAR1t-jKros6-y7cHRzQ5iZSkt1gxQBLDyVpoHpx6cNW8pJH4V6t2n7EH4vc

Wednesday came news of a conference call including Vice President Mike Pence and the 12 members of the College Football Playoff management committee – the commissioners from the 10 major NCAA conferences, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick and CFP executive director Bill Hancock.

Among the messages shared in that call?

“Our players are students,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told CBSSports.com. “If we’re not in college, we’re not having contests.”

“If things are all virtual and if you can’t have kids on campus, can you justify the risks of having athletes on campus?” American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco told USA Today. “We’re an extension of the educational system.”

“The first question for us is, ‘Will our campuses be reopened?’ That’s the starting point for everything here,” Swarbrick told Notre Dame broadcast partner NBC Sports. “We can engage in all of the scenario planning we want, but our first piece of critical information is, ‘Will our colleges and universities be open on time in the fall?’”

If there is no football LHN should come up with something like replaying the 2005 season game by game every Saturday at the same time it was originally played.  They will be playing reruns all season anyways so let’s relive the greatest seasons on a Saturday by Saturday basis.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

If there is no football LHN should come up with something like replaying the 2005 season game by game every Saturday at the same time it was originally played.  They will be playing reruns all season anyways so let’s relive the greatest seasons on a Saturday by Saturday basis.

Shit they should do that even if football is by some miracle a go in the fall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Can they skip the Kansas game?

12 hours ago, Deej said:

Two million dead

yeah that's always seemed really likely, luckily I put an anti-virus gnome in my garden so all the bad prognostications didn't come true

11 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCchDG1iTcyov8mLa7YT-jdQ/videos

condensed versions of > 100 CFB games throughout the years, but pertinently, he just put 11 of our games from 2005 up there

13 hours ago, wood said:

siap ... Coronavirus could halt L.A. concerts, sporting events until 2021, Garcetti says https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-15/coronavirus-concerts-sporting-events-2021-garcetti

PGA Tour keeping the door open for fan participation at some level by August.

As real data emerges, those decisions can be made with logic vs guesses & emotions.

On 4/15/2020 at 9:23 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

I suspect they will just bump the limits, for a period of time.  But then again, it come down to money---some schools just can't afford it. 

The portal is going to be absolutely flooded.  

I suspect so, especially  for the programs (G5) that might be forced to de-fund football..?

On 4/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

There probably won't be any high school football either.  The players will still graduate, but they'll all be coming off a year long break from football.  Maybe just go back to the old system where freshman are not eligible for the varsity and just spend a year working out and practicing 

Or extend another red shirt year in college - allow them 6 years to play 4 (excluding the 3 or 4 games allowed that you keep the red shirt)

My younger daughter is saying that the talk amongst her friends is that they will not be back at school in the fall. I also read about her school (Duke) today on CNN. The school is talking about options and one of them is canceling the on-campus fall semester. If a school with a small student population (14,000) and incredibly deep pockets, plus a huge medical school like Duke can't handle it, how are all the other schools hoping to pull it off?

12 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

If a school with a small student population (14,000) and incredibly deep pockets, plus a huge medical school like Duke can't handle it, how are all the other schools hoping to pull it off?

But they could handle it, or handle what we were initially told all of the shutdowns and social distancing were intended to handle. Now they're trying to handle "no one should ever get sick, we must try to prevent any case of Coronavirus from ever happening", which isn't remotely feasible. 

So I say , cancel everything requiring large public gatherings for another 18 months. Let's wait until we have a billion testing kits in reserve, and our double-blind clinical trials on the Coronavirus vaccine are successfully completed, and our gigantic 17-stage plan and $19 trillion Congressional Reopening America For Business Act are passed.

And then we can do the whole thing again in 2022 when a new virus pops up.

Because we're a nation that acts like it's run by Karen the Soccer Mom. 

• Like 4

(Nobody in college sports is saying any of that)

Maybe Duke's small size, big money and lack of football interest is exactly why they'd be fine sitting out the entire fall. There's just not as much physically happening on their campus anyway. The hospital would of course be busy in an important way.

But let's also note, with all due respect to TreatOak's daughter's friends, I don't think we've heard anything close to an official report that any major school is close to a decision on fall closure.

• Like 2

You can’t “calm down” because the fall semester is 4 months away. Registration for Fall is already about to start and you have to have a message for students.  The problem is no one knows what we will look like 4 months from now.  You can’t just flip a switch in higher ed and say “we’re back to normal—all on campus” or “sorry, starting tomorrow all classes are online.”  That’s a logistical nightmare which has played itself out in real-time the minute this virus came out.

Not to mention, 4-years have to prep for on-campus housing, food and dining, which lecture halls get used for what classes, etc.  So yeah, making that call this far out is what leaders should be doing.  The only 4-years I’ve heard of that are possibly thinking about “canceling” the Fall 2020 semester and moving that semester to the Spring are in the Ivy League.  If a 4-year like Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Nawf Carolina, or Florida etc make the decision to go all online in the Fall or cancel and move the Fall to the Spring, then you’ll probably (not guaranteed) start seeing other universities across the country do the same. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You can’t “calm down” because the fall semester is 4 months away. Registration for Fall is already about to start and you have to have a message for students.  The problem is no one knows what we will look like 4 months from now.  You can’t just flip a switch in higher ed and say “we’re back to normal—all on campus” or “sorry, starting tomorrow all classes are online.”  That’s a logistical nightmare which has played itself out in real-time the minute this virus came out.

Not to mention, 4-years have to prep for on-campus housing, food and dining, which lecture halls get used for what classes, etc.  So yeah, making that call this far out is what leaders should be doing.  The only 4-years I’ve heard of that are possibly thinking about “canceling” the Fall 2020 semester and moving that semester to the Spring are in the Ivy League.  If a 4-year like Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Nawf Carolina, or Florida etc make the decision to go all online in the Fall or cancel and move the Fall to the Spring, then you’ll probably (not guaranteed) start seeing other universities across the country do the same. 

Yeah, 4 months is not much time at all to figure out the logistics between two very likely, very different eventualities: 1) Everything is online, or 2) , Students are back on campus and what that means in real terms (social distancing, maximum classroom sizes, restrictions on large gatherings, etc.). Prudent schools are already frantically making preparations for both. If they don't get some government guidance in the near future, like you said, they're going to have to make a decision soon and stick with it.

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

(Nobody in college sports is saying any of that)

Maybe Duke's small size, big money and lack of football interest is exactly why they'd be fine sitting out the entire fall. There's just not as much physically happening on their campus anyway. The hospital would of course be busy in an important way.

But let's also note, with all due respect to TreatOak's daughter's friends, I don't think we've heard anything close to an official report that any major school is close to a decision on fall closure.

Thanks for responding. "A lack of football interest" has nothing to do with why Duke wouldn't have an on-campus fall semester. And there are plenty of big things physically happening on the campus, as well as most campuses. Fear of an campus outbreak and lawsuits (which is happening now at Liberty who resumed classes after spring break) is a driving force.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

But they could handle it, or handle what we were initially told all of the shutdowns and social distancing were intended to handle. Now they're trying to handle "no one should ever get sick, we must try to prevent any case of Coronavirus from ever happening", which isn't remotely feasible. 

So I say , cancel everything requiring large public gatherings for another 18 months. Let's wait until we have a billion testing kits in reserve, and our double-blind clinical trials on the Coronavirus vaccine are successfully completed, and our gigantic 17-stage plan and $19 trillion Congressional Reopening America For Business Act are passed.

And then we can do the whole thing again in 2022 when a new virus pops up.

Because we're a nation that acts like it's run by Karen the Soccer Mom. 

Watch vs listen.   The decision makers will utilize real data & the correct calls will be made regardless of opinion.  The current administration is more likely to violate the feelings of Soccer Mom than they are the guy who bought out WalMarts supply of ammo & BAMA solo cups.

• Like 3