2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

5 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
25 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:
Is it time to panic yet?  I have some ranch water teed up if needed.

I'm 200 miles west of Houston but going to get drunk regardless just to be sure.

I evacuated Sargent to Katy (no aggy). I'm already drunk.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

What is Space City Weather's business model? Website revenue? Reliant $? Is it a project for visibility to get industry consulting gigs? 

Sponsored by Reliant for last couple years so they no longer need to runs ads. They both have day jobs. If I recall, one's head meteorologist for an energy company, other one is an editor for Ars Technica. 

Most (but not all) of the catastrophic inundation is going to be E of the Sabine.  Cameron Parish is forecast to be 95% under 9'+ of inundation.   There are some people in three or four small communities there.  Lake Charles is probably going to be 50-75% inundated.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s worse, a hurricane stalling like cat 5 Harvey or cat 4 15-20” storm surge? Did Harvey see those heights?

Did you just flat out miss what Dorian did to the northern Bahamas last year?

Cat 5 stalled (tied for strongest landfalling hurricane ever)
No elevation for the islands
Storm surge city (23 feet)

It literally was the worst shit possible from a hurricane.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

No kidding, 175mph winds 48 hours from landfall.  Yeah that will put the fear of God into a lot of people.  I stayed but remember my mother begging me in a panic on the phone to leave.  I was thinking it was going to make a turn north.  Thankfully I was right, we only lost power for about 2 hours and it barely rained.

It kicked through Tyler with some pretty high winds, but nothing major.  My relatives were thinking, we spent 19 hours in the car to have a weakened storm that would have missed us, hit us.

Most (but not all) of the catastrophic inundation is going to be E of the Sabine.  Cameron Parish is forecast to be 95% under 9'+ of inundation.   There are some people in three or four small communities there.  Lake Charles is probably going to be 50-75% inundated.  

EgYGqgSWsAM85ru?format=jpg&name=medium
Just found out my wifes uncle is staying in Moss Bluff in his house on the Calcasieu River, nort of Westlake. Hope he is not royally fucked - I estimate his house is 10' above bayou level. Just messaged one of wife's cousins who is staying in Iowa, LA, just east of Lake Charles.

This is gonna be the most stressful night of my life.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Since I've been alive i've ridden out Carla, Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike and Harvey at home. I can't imagine a scenario where I would consider evacuating from my hood.

I only have Alicia under my belt, and I was eight.  Dropped a pretty sizeable tree on my parents house.  Pretty good almost 20 year gap between that and Allison.  Ike was the worst wind damage for my peeps.  But Harvey (the fucker missed us), was the worst damage (and mom was better off than most).

27 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

Jesus.  Just around where you are right now.  Then imagine 9+ feet of water there.  Insane.

Edited by Sbbruin

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Made it to Tyler this morning around 10:30.  Left Pearland around 6:30 or so.  Solid green traffic all the way up 45 and up 59.  Wasn't bad at all.  I figured it would be better to come this morning than yesterday and let the Galveston folks battle it out on 45.

Better safe than sorry.  Needed to visit my folks anyway and pick up my kiddo.  I will say though, there were a lot of Louisiana license plates on the way up.

If it wasn't for the pandemic, I'd buy you a Brother in Law and a beer at Stanley's.  Alas, I'm drinking at home and eating tamales.

/honestly, if you want to pick it up, I'll call it in for curbside. :)

Edited by dcbc

3 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Just fired up the Kamado for grilled pork ribeyes, and opened a Karbach Crawford Bock.  

Hunkering down in Katy. 

Solid.

Have you tried their new Southern Wheat?

Pretty damn good.

Ive been dominating the variety packs of Real Ale and Karbach from Costco all summer.

Both those breweries do damn good work.

Good news:  My wife's 90 year old grandmother evacuated her house in Orange Monday night.  The house flooded in Harvey and will probably flood again with this storm surge.  

Bad news:  She evacuated to her 70 year old daughter's (my wife's aunt's) house in Starks, LA.  More directly in the line of the storm.  They have a farm and didn't want to leave their animals.  My wife begged them to let us come get her and bring her to Dripping Springs.  They all politely declined.  The farm has somewhat of high ground where the house sits, but they're surrounded by swamps.  So, best case scenario, the house survives the storm, and they're probably landlocked with no power for a pretty long time.  I don't want to think about the worst case scenario...

More bad news:  My FIL left his house in Cypress to go to his fish camp on Toledo Bend this morning to help out his buddies that live there.  While possibly admirable, he literally drove into the path of the hurricane where he's going to ride out what will surely be hurricane force winds in a mobile home that is surrounded by 100' pine trees and faces due south on the main body of Toledo Bend.  Awesome.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Good news:  My wife's 90 year old grandmother evacuated her house in Orange Monday night.  The house flooded in Harvey and will probably flood again with this storm surge.  

Bad news:  She evacuated to her 70 year old daughter's (my wife's aunt's) house in Starks, LA.  More directly in the line of the storm.  They have a farm and didn't want to leave their animals.  My wife begged them to let us come get her and bring her to Dripping Springs.  They all politely declined.  The farm has somewhat of high ground where the house sits, but they're surrounded by swamps.  So, best case scenario, the house survives the storm, and they're probably landlocked with no power for a pretty long time.  I don't want to think about the worst case scenario...

More bad news:  My FIL left his house in Cypress to go to his fish camp on Toledo Bend this morning to help out his buddies that live there.  While possibly admirable, he literally drove into the path of the hurricane where he's going to ride out what will surely be hurricane force winds in a mobile home that is surrounded by 100' pine trees and faces due south on the main body of Toledo Bend.  Awesome.  

Man, all the best to them.

13 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Orange is predicted to see a 6' + storm surge and Starks will be wind and rain only.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Orange is predicted to see a 6' + storm surge and Starks will be wind and rain only.

I hope you're right about wind and rain only.  But, their house is surrounded by huge trees as well.  Rita took down 50+% of their timber.  I'm guessing this could be worse based on projected wind speeds.

12 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Husband's grandma and three aunts are still in Lake Charles. Mawmaw is in her 90s and in very ill health and they really don't think she could handle an evacuation. It is a shitty rock and a shitty hard place. I don't expect to get much sleep tonight.

Hang in there.  Sorry for the snake picture earlier.  All the best to Mawmaw and the aunts.   I've sat up all night and waited for storm news.  No fun at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcbc said:

Hang in there.  Sorry for the snake picture earlier.  All the best to Mawmaw and the aunts.   I've sat up all night and waited for storm news.  No fun at all.

Thanks - we appreciate it. You know I was just messing with you about the snake pic, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Just found out my wifes uncle is staying in Moss Bluff in his house on the Calcasieu River, nort of Westlake. Hope he is not royally fucked - I estimate his house is 10' above bayou level. Just messaged one of wife's cousins who is staying in Iowa, LA, just east of Lake Charles.

This is gonna be the most stressful night of my life.

I hope he has access to his roof.

Edited by Steamboat1874