Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

40 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I work in the supply chain for cleaning and jan/san.  I get info on upcoming shortages before most anyone else. Every so often I’ve posted some things to watch for, like when I told y’all about disinfectant wipes back in early March.  Yeah, those are still a bitch. 

Purrell/Gojo is starting to get their shit together but still nowhere near the demand need.

Have a project going that might need some of this shit (specifically Purrell/Gojo products). PM?

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

Left my little NPR mask-wearing Hobbit village to venture into the generic wastelands of the Birmingham metro's Shelby County (which is the Eohippus to DFW's Clydesdale.)

The general consensus seems to be Pretend The Virus Away. I owned the only mask within 10 miles. Prove me wrong. Brought back 1960s memories of folks blowing cigarette smoke on their kids while the never-used seat belts stayed mashed down in the seats.

But of more immediate concern was the driving style. Normal distracted driving had turned into agitated Ben Hur Ramming Speed maneuvers. If you ever kicked open a fire ant bed on a 100 degree day, that was the vibe, if you can imagine them looking down at little fire ant phones while they run around.

Sat outside the Widget store my buddy runs, because I'm a fucking loser who tries to buy local. Bunch of geezers going in and out, little confined store, no whiff of a mask.

If I were a weaker personality type, I would have left mine off too so they wouldn't make fun of me, and dart in and out, Pretending It Away. But I am a fucking asshole crypto-redneck who likes chaos and mayhem, so I strapped it on and sauntered in. Besides, I mentioned they were geezers, so if we had gotten into it I could probably have taken them. No worries, everybody polite as I sported the only mask in town. Figured they'd be bitch-asses and talk about me after I left, same as I am doing about them now.

Really thinking about becoming one of these gotdam weenies who buys everything online.

An Eohippus reference will ALWAYS get posrep from me.

As to the second bolded....folks are getting reckless with their driving, and it's going to cost them.  Do the math -- I have seen a LOT of cops on the road, setting up speedtraps and such.  And with open roads, folks are able to drive much faster.  AND (this is important) municipal revenues have taken a BIG hit lately.  Cops are out, and they are acting as revenue officers.  I think chances of a speeding ticket are pretty high these days.

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

Have a project going that might need some of this shit (specifically Purrell/Gojo products). PM?

I cannot help you.  I would just direct you to your local distributor, which probably wouldn’t be that helpful either.  When this thing started, most distributors and manufacturers were allocating all this stuff to hospitals and frontline workers. Many were not taking new accounts either because it would just wipe out all inventory to existing business.  I can tell you purrell is coming out with disposable stands for hand sanitizing in high traffic areas, you may be already seeing them in some places.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Um, excuse me, I had to live through the Urban Cowboy craze. Honkies running around town in ten gallon hats and plate sized belt buckles. That shit was horrifying.

Damn you for making me remember the proliferation of leather vests from those foul days!

1027-60-1.jpg?v=1584675540

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I cannot help you.  I would just direct you to your local distributor, which probably wouldn’t be that helpful either.  When this thing started, most distributors and manufacturers were allocating all this stuff to hospitals and frontline workers. Many were not taking new accounts either because it would just wipe out all inventory to existing business.  I can tell you purrell is coming out with disposable stands for hand sanitizing in high traffic areas, you may be already seeing them in some places.

I've seen at HEB the past few days that they have a decent stock of hand sanitizer -- 8 oz gel bottles, and large (like 32 oz) bottles of straight liquid 80% alcohol.  So, that's starting to improve.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I've seen at HEB the past few days that they have a decent stock of hand sanitizer -- 8 oz gel bottles, and large (like 32 oz) bottles of straight liquid 80% alcohol.  So, that's starting to improve.

Whole Foods here in Dallas had a bunch the other day when I went there.  First I'd seen other than in a 7-11 a few weeks back.  Still haven't seen wipes anywhere other than that 7-11 (they were selling travel size packs).

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, the retail hand sanitizer situation is near stable but getting things like dispensers or stands is near impossible.  Orders from the first week of March for those kind of things are still not filled.  

The other item that is near impossible to get your hands on is an electrostatic disinfectant sprayer.  Clorox has something like 8,000 on back order and they run over $5k each.  Some other companies make cheaper electrostatic sprayers but their lead time is 6 weeks to a year. 

Just now, DDD Dad said:

Whole Foods here in Dallas had a bunch the other day when I went there.  First I'd seen other than in a 7-11 a few weeks back.  Still haven't seen wipes anywhere other than that 7-11 (they were selling travel size packs).

Yeah, no wipes.  BUT, bleach has started to show back up.  So, I've suggested to the wife (who loves those things) that we'll use one of our wipe containers, and I'll fold in some paper towels with bleach poured over to soak.   I think that should work.

So bleach and hand sanitizer are showing up, that's good.

In regards to bulk hand sanitizer you may inquire with local distilleries that may have switched over to producing hand sanitizer. I know of at least two locally here in Houston that did this. Guessing you are in Atlanta (ATL) so your results might vary.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, no wipes.  BUT, bleach has started to show back up.  So, I've suggested to the wife (who loves those things) that we'll use one of our wipe containers, and I'll fold in some paper towels with bleach poured over to soak.   I think that should work.

Back in March when I had to travel the weekend before everything got shut down SWMBO made me some sanitizing wipes out of baby wipes (she added a bunch of alcohol).  The important thing was to remember not to use them as baby wipes (yikes).

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The CEO of Clorox was on NBC News about a week or so ago saying they are filling orders for hospitals first but are starting to get back on track.  The CEO stated not to really expect wipes back in stores regularly until July or so. 

HEB is starting to have their brand of bleach and bleach/cleaning spray more and more, so that's good.  There is a hand sanitizer sold at HEB by ScentSationals (80% alcohol) that smells like dried throw-up the next morning after a night on 6th.  It. Smells. Turrible. 

My wife is using coffee filters.

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A couple of weeks ago our local HEB (NW Austin) had some of the HEB brand wipes in stock.  I think it's hit and miss, but your best bet is to show up in the morning a bit after they open so that most of the stocking has been done for the day - 9-10am.  I've had pretty good luck finding harder-to-find items using that approach.

3 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

A couple of weeks ago our local HEB (NW Austin) had some of the HEB brand wipes in stock.  I think it's hit and miss, but your best bet is to show up in the morning a bit after they open so that most of the stocking has been done for the day - 9-10am.  I've had pretty good luck finding harder-to-find items using that approach.

Well, my other angle continues to be this: hit up stores in less affluent areas.  Affluent folks stock up/hoard, and can afford to.  Less affluent folks....not so much.  You can find such products on the shelves much more easily in those areas.  Hell, there's probably an interesting study/PhD analysis to be done on that phenomenon at some point.

17 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Back in March when I had to travel the weekend before everything got shut down SWMBO made me some sanitizing wipes out of baby wipes (she added a bunch of alcohol).  The important thing was to remember not to use them as baby wipes (yikes).

Throughout the pandemic, I never saw a shortage of bleach in the supply chain.  I didn’t see much of the toilet paper shortage either because that was almost entirely a retail phenomenon. Some of the big paper companies pushed back their lead times by a few weeks but that was it. 

On the wipes, there are companies that make buckets of dry wipes that you just pour your own solution of disinfectant in to make wet wipes. I anticipate these will become more popular as the disinfectant wipe shortage is expected to continue. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

Well, my other angle continues to be this: hit up stores in less affluent areas.  Affluent folks stock up/hoard, and can afford to.  Less affluent folks....not so much.  You can find such products on the shelves much more easily in those areas.  Hell, there's probably an interesting study/PhD analysis to be done on that phenomenon at some point.
I use the little gas station in my hood. They appear to source some products made for the Mexican market. Turns out Karens don't hoard TP with Spanish on the wrapper.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I use the little gas station in my hood. They appear to source some products made for the Mexican market. Turns out Karens don't hoard TP with Spanish on the wrapper.

I once taught Spanish at a private school full of Future Karens. They'd badger me for extra credit. OK, here's some extra credit: just go inside a little tienda mexicana. Buy something, anything, and bring back the receipt.

I think two of them managed to get that far. They got extra credit. One young dude had the can of Jumex he'd bought. I offered him double or nothing points if he'd drink it. He popped the top. The class stared in silence. He drank. More silence. Finally, he grinned and said "Hey y'all, I just made 20 points for drinking apple juice."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This backfired on me back in April. Not only was the store picked over, but few masks and people all up in my grill. 0 stars, did not try again

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

This backfired on me back in April. Not only was the store picked over, but few masks and people all up in my grill. 0 stars, did not try again

yeah, anecdotal from the manchaca/south austin area, but i've definitely noticed that the not-insignificant hispanic population doesn't seem to favor masks. went to local taco shop, and none of the staff had masks. wife needed that menudo, though, so i still picked up the food.

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, anecdotal from the manchaca/south austin area, but i've definitely noticed that the not-insignificant hispanic population doesn't seem to favor masks. went to local taco shop, and none of the staff had masks. wife needed that menudo, though, so i still picked up the food.

See my earlier comment (in some thread or another) on the correlation between that population not wearing masks and not using child seats in their cars.  I'm sure there's a cultural and socioeconomic correlation worth exploring.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

See my earlier comment (in some thread or another) on the correlation between that population not wearing masks and not using child seats in their cars.  I'm sure there's a cultural and socioeconomic correlation worth exploring.

yeah, i remember you making that post, and i think it was in response to my positing that very statement in another thread.

• Like 1

Well, employment was nice while it lasted. If my agency cuts anyone, I'm last-in-first-out, even though I've been there 15 yrs. 

I gotta say, I'm a little shocked that some of y'all will traipse through all kinds of stores in order to look for stuff to..... help lower your risk.

Fyi, there are a lot of non-Amazon companies selling hand sanitizer specifically, just order online and get it delivered. Google's your pal. I found one in the Houston area called wrist-bands.com (of all things), shipping was fast AF and by the smell, the 70% alcohol claim is legit. Got a gallon jug.

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This has been my experience the whole way.  The social distancing/mask situation is spotty tho.  Wealthy White people are obsessed with that part, but the stores are absolutely picked clean because folks hoard on every trip.

14 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Well, employment was nice while it lasted. If my agency cuts anyone, I'm last-in-first-out, even though I've been there 15 yrs. 

I gotta say, I'm a little shocked that some of y'all will traipse through all kinds of stores in order to look for stuff to..... help lower your risk.

Fyi, there are a lot of non-Amazon companies selling hand sanitizer specifically, just order online and get it delivered. Google's your pal. I found one in the Houston area called wrist-bands.com (of all things), shipping was fast AF and by the smell, the 70% alcohol claim is legit. Got a gallon jug.

Personally I would rather run into a Kroger and get something that is more likely to be legit as opposed to buying from some obscure website. 

Infrequently going into a store is not that high of a risk. Wear a mask. wipe down the cart handles with alcohol and go shopping. When you get home, put everything away and don't touch it for a day or so. Wash your hands.  That's my routine and I think it's a bit unnecessary but I figure it can't hurt to be careful.

16 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Fyi, there are a lot of non-Amazon companies selling hand sanitizer specifically, just order online and get it delivered. Google's your pal. I found one in the Houston area called wrist-bands.com (of all things), shipping was fast AF and by the smell, the 70% alcohol claim is legit. 

For many the risk (and leaving the house) makes it exciting

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

This has been my experience the whole way.  The social distancing/mask situation is spotty tho.  Wealthy White people are obsessed with that part, but the stores are absolutely picked clean because folks hoard on every trip.

I had the opposite experience. I went to Walgreens twice to pick up a few prescriptions. Both times it was the white people not wearing masks (even though there was a sign saying masks were mandatory) and the cashier wasn’t wearing any gloves. At the smaller “ethnic” stores, everyone is wearing masks, the employees are all wearing gloves, and they have no problem telling non-mask wearing people to get the fuck out of their stores. 

• Like 2

Heb Lakeway is still hit or miss for TP. One of my clients has probably 500 rolls in their garage. Fox news watchers too. Weird

I'm in stores 3-4 times a week up here in Philly, since all our shopping is walkable. Quick, careful trips and wash hands immediately when I get home. I go mid-morning when it's not crowded, so I rarely have to wait more than a minute in any checkout line. People in my part of the city are great about masks and distancing. And I have noted the same clerks have been working the whole pandemic...no PPE in the beginning but got more and more safety measures during April.

2 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I'm in stores 3-4 times a week up here in Philly, since all our shopping is walkable. Quick, careful trips and wash hands immediately when I get home. I go mid-morning when it's not crowded, so I rarely have to wait more than a minute in any checkout line. People in my part of the city are great about masks and distancing. And I have noted the same clerks have been working the whole pandemic...no PPE in the beginning but got more and more safety measures during April.

Y’all are a chipping wedge from NJ and not that much further from NY.  I would imagine people are taking things more seriously up there.

4 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Heb Lakeway is still hit or miss for TP. One of my clients has probably 500 rolls in their garage. Fox news watchers too. Weird

I get hoarding toilet paper if you had some plan to sell it for a large profit. Horrible to do that but I can at least understand the motivation. Hoarding it for personal use is ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

A contradiction would be rural Asians that have no problem with a mask but pile the entire family in a 150cc scooter with no helmets and only rag tag flip flops.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I'm guessing it's because they're full of shit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

A contradiction would be rural Asians that have no problem with a mask but pile the entire family in a 150cc scooter with no helmets and only rag tag flip flops.

on the shoulder of the motorway with cars and loaded down trucks flying by at 70

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They have no real choice on the scooter, they do on the face coverings.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yeah but I’m sure the infants and small children are sitting facing the rear for safety.

25 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Yeah but I’m sure the infants and small children are sitting facing the rear for safety.

No, youngest is always up front.  Dad's arms reaching around them to grab the handle bars and work the throttle, clutch and brakes (if working) are all the protection they are afforded.

Rest are arranged for proper ballast loading.

thai-family-on-motorcycle-picture-id4964

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

No, youngest is always up front.  Dad's arms reaching around them to grab the handle bars and work the throttle, clutch and brakes (if working) are all the protection they are afforded.

Rest are arranged for proper ballast loading.

thai-family-on-motorcycle-picture-id4964

Well shit, these people should have been the ones loading up the riders on the Verruckt at Schlitterbahn.