Treasure found

Wally Fairway

I couldn't find this in another thread - but I've read about this in the news for at least a couple of years.
Dude hides a treasure chest, writes a story about it with a poem as the clue; some people died trying to find it..and finally someone has

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/us/forrest-fenn-rocky-mountains-treasure-chest-found-trnd/index.html

Thousands of brave souls have ventured into the Rocky Mountains for the past decade, searching for a treasure chest filled with gold, rubies, emeralds and diamonds.

But that adventure has finally come to an end. The treasure has been found.
Forrest Fenn, the 89-year-old art and antiquities collector who created the treasure hunt, made the announcement Sunday on his website.
"It was under a canopy of stars in the lush, forested vegetation of the Rocky Mountains and had not moved from the spot where I hid it more than 10 years ago," Fenn wrote in his announcement. "I do not know the person who found it, but the poem in my book led him to the precise spot."

• Like 1

I was just about to post about this.  My brothers and Pops and I have been looking at this for a little over a year.  We had a few different solves and considered flying out to Wyoming and Montana to take a look around.  Pretty crazy.  If true, I hope Forrest tells the location (he said he would share photos and info in the coming days).  2020 is a crazy motherfucker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I had a patient who said that she had pinpointed it and was going on vacation to claim it. I guess it wasn't her who found it. Too bad, she sounded very confident.

Are you per chance a psychologist?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I'm still skeptical that there was ever a treasure chest to begin with. Some dude finding it and wishing to remain anonymous doesn't do much to sway my skepticism. 

Wouldn’t you have to pay taxes on it if you came forward?   It’s not like the lottery where you have to identify yourself and pay the taxes on claim it.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wouldn’t you have to pay taxes on it if you came forward?   It’s not like the lottery where you have to identify yourself and pay the taxes on claim it.

If its legit, you're probably talking 1-1.5 mill in taxes at most. The media rights to the story would be more than that alone If there was actually a good story behind it. Get Netflix bidding against Amazon, bidding against Apple bidding against Disney..... there's money to be made. We live in a world where KylieJenner can get paid a million for a single instagram post. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was just about to post about this.  My brothers and Pops and I have been looking at this for a little over a year.  We had a few different solves and considered flying out to Wyoming and Montana to take a look around.  Pretty crazy.  If true, I hope Forrest tells the location (he said he would share photos and info in the coming days).  2020 is a crazy motherfucker.

I spent a few weeks looking at this around the holidays.  At first glance I thought New Mexico close to Jemez springs, but after reading about the guy I settled on a location in Montana along Madison rivers earthquake lake.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

I'm still skeptical that there was ever a treasure chest to begin with. Some dude finding it and wishing to remain anonymous doesn't do much to sway my skepticism. 

I'm in this club. If more info doesn't come out regarding the "find" I'm going to be even more convinced.  I'm don't need name of person who found it or such, but he surely can provide photo proof of treasure and location is was found at.

I thought I read that the original guy who hid this was this guy who "found" the treasure, he went and retrieved it because nobody found it (and possibly because people were dying). That alone is suspicious under the "was it ever really hidden" file. Also, he claimed he will keep it anonymous-- strike 2.

Lastly the kicker and strike 3, on why this seems like a stupid scam is because his whole point was to "encourage people to see the outdoors". Sounds like a grifter trying to get free publicity for his art dealing and relics dealing.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1

DIS GON BE GOOD

SUE EVERYBODY!

Barbara Andersen, a Chicago real estate attorney, said she is filing an injunction in federal District Court alleging she solved the puzzle but was hacked by someone she doesn’t know.

“He stole my solve,” she said in an interview. “He followed and cheated me to get the chest.”

Andersen, who has been licensed to practice law in Illinois since 1998, is representing herself.

In the injunction, she seeks to stop an unknown defendant from selling booty from the treasure chest. She is also asking the court to give the chest to her.

One treasure hunter taking Fenn to court was skeptical of the timing.

Brian Erskine of Prescott, Ariz., said in his complaint, filed in U.S. District Court, that he “solved the quest.”

Erskine said the site in question is in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, between the towns of Silverton and Ouray and accessible by U.S. 550, also known as the “Million Dollar Highway.”

“He just got served with my lawsuit, and now we have this press release,” he said in an interview Sunday.

Among other arguments for his case, Erskine says abandoning a chest of valuables in the wild, as Fenn says he has done, means he couldn’t “give title” as Fenn writes in his memoir, The Thrill of the Chase.

Erskine said he’s confident his lawsuit will proceed.

Edited by UTCzech III

19 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

He's a gynecologist. And the "treasure" turned out to be a few missing classing rings.

She found them.

Correct gynecologist. Searched for the booty myself, in Houston. I figured it was hidden in one of the scrip clubs there. Unfortunately, I couldn't narrow down the search within the boundaries of Post Oak and Voss and San Felipe and 69.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, woohorn said:

Always wondered why the "come and take it" Twin Sisters still have never been found.

Any of you Einsteins have leads?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Sisters_(cannons)

Ever read any of Clive Cussler's nonfiction?  He wrote two books, The Sea Hunter's and  SH II, about his non-profit, NUMA (same name as in the books) that searches for old historical shipwrecks and other sites.  They have found quite a few.  They spent some time in San Jacinto hunting for them but never came up with anything.  His take on the lore about the TS is included in one of the books.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I thought I read that the original guy who hid this was this guy who "found" the treasure, he went and retrieved it because nobody found it (and possibly because people were dying). That alone is suspicious under the "was it ever really hidden" file. Also, he claimed he will keep it anonymous-- strike 2.

Lastly the kicker and strike 3, on why this seems like a stupid scam is because his whole point was to "encourage people to see the outdoors". Sounds like a grifter trying to get free publicity for his art dealing and relics dealing.

Yeah, most people are really just full of shit. 

Good bet this treasure guy is too. 

52 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

in your spare time go dig up memorial park,  consensus believes Byron Preiss buried a large ruby there somewhere as part of his treasure hiding scheme.

I dug up the Memorial Park golf course numerous times; never found a damned thing....not even my swing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm, good for the person who found it.

I never had the impression that it was a scam. After several people died looking for it, and some sheriff said the whole thing was a bad idea, the dude basically said fuck off and that  people die doing stuff all the time and this gets their lazy asses out of the house and has them enjoy nature. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/forrest-fenn-treasure-chest-pictures-trnd/index.html

Some photos of the treasure, post-find.  I guess the finder must have brought the box to Fenn to sort through. (?)  The article doesn't really explain.   

I'm still waiting for the reveal as to where it was located and how the various clues fit in. 

The plot thickens.  Wyoming residents claim Fenn announced the find shortly after they presented him with evidence pointing to the location.  (Why would you go to Fenn with the evidence before looking at the spot?  Just go get the treasure.)  Now they want a piece of the pie.

But it also seems like BS (and fuels suspicions that it's sham) that Fenn won't reveal the location, claiming that the supposed finder doesn't want it revealed.  Why the hell would you allow the finder to make that decision?  A lot of people want to know where it was located and how the clues fit in.  

https://www.powelltribune.com/stories/cody-residents-claim-they-solved-riddle-of-fenns-hidden-treasure,25827

Edited by Carl Spackler

yeah its beginning to look a lot more fishy.  the pics of him looking through the "treasure box' are more than a tad concerning.... shits been buried for 10 years and not a bit of dirt in the pictures.

why would the person who found it "take it to him for authentication"? dude, its a fucking treasure box, its either authentic, or it isnt.  if you have never touched a gold coin before, the moment you do and realize how fucking heavy it is for the size tells you instantly its gold.     

even if you want to be anonymous  take pics showing the contents and Forrest can confirm its authentic or not.

plus, second thought, why the fuck did Forrest not takes pictures 10 years ago showing what was in the box?    

Im on the "its all bullshit" train

So the person who found it sent it to the original hider of the treasure for verification?   They spent years deciphering a riddle, narrow it down to the exact space, find a treasure box filled with gold coins, and they're still not sure?  It could be  any of hundreds of randomly buried treasured in the Rockies, I suppose.