Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, Let 'Em Hang said:

Well, as a fan of Longhorn football since 1967 and a contributor to UT Athletics, time to say goodbye.  Been real and I have to say I'll miss it.

And to the football team:

GO FUCK YOURSELVES

These are like the pussies who claim they're leaving the message board forever, only to come back an hour later to see if anyone is distraught over their big departure. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Let 'Em Hang said:

Well, as a fan of Longhorn football since 1967 and a contributor to UT Athletics, time to say goodbye.  Been real and I have to say I'll miss it.

And to the football team:

GO FUCK YOURSELVES

Seriously, seriously. I want you to think about this before you do this action. No one cares. 

5 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

So you're telling me a non-racist song that was introduced at a racist event is interpreted as being racist.

A song that unifies people.

But many of those who find that song offensive listen to music that uses "the N word" and use "the N word" in conversation with their colleagues.

A word that divides people.

Hmmmmmm.

Expecting logical consistentcy is futile

9 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

So you're telling me a non-racist song that was introduced at a racist event is interpreted as being racist.

But many of those who find that song offensive listen to music that uses "the N word" and use "the N word" in conversation with their colleagues.

Hmmmmmm.

Wow. A take from 1997.

• Like 2

Just now, mchookem said:

so if UT loses the Eyes... does that mean aggy can finally get a new school song that doesn't focus on the Longhorns?

The fight song (Texas Fight) is what references aggy. The Eyes is the alma mater. 

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

Well, this last decade I always stuck around win or lose to show solidarity with the team and sing the eyes/horns raised. It turns out that those of us who stayed to do so, particularly after losses, were just making the majority of the team feel even worse? 

31 minutes ago, stone oak said:

"It's just a song"

I mean, it's only one of our main traditions at the University of Texas, but why stop there? Maybe we should change our school colors and the Longhorn mascot too. Get rid of the "Hook 'Em" sign. Replace "Texas Fight", after all it's just a song too. Take down the 1963, 1969, and 1970 National Titles for obvious reasons. 2005 might be ok, but not sure. All SWC titles before 1970 need to come down as well. Any building on campus built before the 1970s needs to be destroyed and replaced. Cancel all culture that might hurt anyone's feelings. 

Oh yes, the LBJ library needs to be destroyed as well. That might be #1 on the list.

I oughta neg you because your avatar never gets there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

It's like the concept of growth is lost on some of you. 

The song has grown to mean something else. I'm guessing we should get rid of Ford, Volkswagen, and Toyota cause they had problematic owners, or did they grow to mean something new. Do you think things are always set?

2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

I'm fine with all of this as long as my demand for the players are met: WRAP UP YOUR FUCKING TACKLES.  Thank you.

SWEATERGAWD. If it means they're going to tackle I'll go chisel off the names and melt down Hogg on a forge fed with copies of the song.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

What on earth is the chaz thing that people keep referencing?

You're gonna have to go to CR to find out. It's surprising that this thread hasn't been moved yet, because it's about as CR as it gets. 

2 hours ago, mdleast said:

Saying “the meaning of the song has changed” grabs me as being somewhat akin to the “heritage not hate argument”. The point of this being brought up is not about what the song means to a bunch of spare white dudes online who are used to hearing it, it’s about what it means to those players who are bringing it up. I’m sure everyone in the past who was shown to have actually been on the wrong side of history whined and bitched about change at the time it was happening but, oh well, that’s how it goes.

Well said. It's not going to get a playerman to want to come here if I think the song is more important than they are. 

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

This. The Eyes of Texas was specifically written for a blackface show. As much as I love the song and the tradition of singing it, I can’t defend something like this knowing why it was written.

Now when I hear the song, I think of a white guy dressed up in blackface singing “you cannot get away, do not think you can escape them, at night or early in the morn”

I don’t know what to say in defense of something like this. 

And fuck those people who threaten to turn their backs on Texas football because we’re forced to stop singing a racist song. 

I don't know how to defend it either so I won't. It's not worth fighting over. If there is a question of its provenance then publicly ditch it. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m actually surprised by how many people want to die on this hill, and even more, they use the same tropes of “what’s next, give the state back to the Indians” hyperbole 

It is just a song. 

and people are melting down 

This is surly. What happens out there pisses us off and we have to tell you about it. 

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 1

It’s a song, who gives a fuck.  I’m not the one sweating blood and tears working out, putting my body through hell to play.  If the players find it racist and don’t want to sing it, then we should respect that.  If the university decides to distance itself, then that’s fine too.  

Do you guys realize the bad pub and negative recruiting we’ll have to deal with if the school doesn’t comply? Good luck getting black high school football players to come to a school that won’t listen to their own black student athletes.  Imagine Herman having a recruiting event and Sterns, Ossai, Eagles are telling recruits the administration won’t remove an arguably racist song and listen to their players.  

The University of Texas is a school that celebrates all races, genders, and religions.  We strive for excellence and making this world better.  Fuck the song... change it.  Maybe we’ll start a new tradition and actually fucking win.... 

Edited by victory88
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Hmmmmmm.

6 minutes ago, maninblack said:

These are two pretty silly posts.

Has anyone heard of any movement to make a racist rap song the UT alma mater? No?

Then you have no point. Unless you think "wait a minute?!?!? These people who are upset about this thing that might be wrong also participate in something else that I think is wrong?!?!?!? HMMMMMM Curiouser and curiouser" is a point.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

On the one hand, the song doesn't seem that offensive to me even given its origins. On the other hand, my relatives and I haven't been systematically killed and oppressed by our government for centuries because of the color of our skin. I really can't say what would upset me if that were the case. I'm all for the administration hearing the athletes out across the board. Ultimately, it's just a song.     

Why are you conflating these two issues but since you are, If it doesn't upset you than respect the fact that it matters to others.  Why trivialize and or minimize their opinions even if they don't affect you? Isn't that the very thing your relatives are fighting against?  These two matters are not on the same level and should not be conflated nonetheless your indifference in supporting others when it doesn't affect you is ironic.  What is right is right and that is what one should support or just be quiet.       

15 minutes ago, Majorcholas said:

IF this liberal arts professor actually got the history right. The eyes are pretty loosely affiliated with any slavery. 

BUT if it truly did start out as a racist song but then became adopted as a song that millions of people of all races, genders, classes and religions sing in honor of a team we all love for the past 100 years without a shred of malice be the most badass American thing ever?

goddamn liberal arts professors trying to play historian. get a real degree

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Except is wasn't just a song that happened to be performed at minstrel shows. From my understanding the song was literally written for a minstrel show. It's a song written to be performed by racist white people in exaggerated blackface with the specific goal of intimidating and demeaning blacks.

I think it is more like it was a song to be performed by students at some student production.

It so happened that the "premier" student production at the time took the form of a minstrel show.

That is a highly regrettable coincidence, but not much more than a coincidence because the song itself is utterly devoid of racial content.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

It’s a song, who gives a fuck.  I’m not the one sweating blood and tears working out, putting my body through hell to play.  If the players find it racist and don’t want to sing it, then we should respect that.  If the university decides to distance itself, then that’s fine too.  

Do you guys realize the bad pub and negative recruiting we’ll have to deal with if the school doesn’t comply? Good luck getting black high school football to come to a school that won’t listen to their own black student athletes.  Imagine Herman having a recruiting event and Sterns, Ossai, Eagles are telling recruits the administration won’t remove an arguably racist song and listen to their players.  

The University of Texas is a school that celebrates all races, genders, and religions.  We strive for excellence and the making this world better.  Fuck the song... change it.  Maybe we’ll start a new tradition and actually fucking win.... 

You’re asking people on the football board to understand recruiting? Negged on general principle. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

The fight song (Texas Fight) is what references aggy. The Eyes is the alma mater. 

yes, i know our songs.

i was referring to the war hymn. read again. 

Edited by mchookem

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Well, this last decade I always stuck around win or lose to show solidarity with the team and sing the eyes/horns raised. It turns out that those of us who stayed to do so, particularly after losses, were just making the majority of the team feel even worse? 

I guarantee you that most of the team had no idea. This is just the new flavor of social outrage.

i can’t wait to watch this team go 5-7.

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Fighting black athletes on stupid shit like a song is what is going to make traditional college football powerhouses into the mighty harvard crimson.

Pipe down.  We already play like Harvard.  Texas isn't going to have near the problems Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn and the rest of the SEC is going to have.  Ole Miss?????

4 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Pipe down.  We already play like Harvard.  Texas isn't going to have near the problems Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn and the rest of the SEC is going to have.  Ole Miss?????

According to my brother who lived in Louisiana for 10 years, word of the Emancipation Proclamation hasn’t made it to those states yet.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think it is more like it was a song to be performed by students at some student production.

It so happened that the "premier" student production at the time took the form of a minstrel show.

That is a highly regrettable coincidence, but not much more than a coincidence because the song itself is utterly devoid of racial content.

I mean it is sung in the rhythm of "I've been working on the railroad" which is definitely considered a pretty racist song.

7 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Fighting black athletes on stupid shit like a song is what is going to make traditional college football powerhouses into the mighty harvard crimson.

What would that new conference look like?

Texas

Trinity

Rice

Southwestern

Tulsa?

UDallas

Tulane?

UDenver

Long time donor here (did not renew this year due to covid concerns and frankly 10 years of inconsistent play as well). I have no issue pulling the singing/playing of

"The Eyes" out of the gameday experience if indeed the history of song is steeped in racism.

I do agree that if song has been transformed then I am not sure why it needs to be changed. I would liken it to the use of the "N" word by Blacks. The "N" word was a pejorative(still is obviously) and has huge racist connotations yet Blacks have taken this word and adopted it (rightfully so) as a word that they can use and no non-Blacks can.

Given that a word with as negative a connotation as the "N" word can be transformed, I am unsure why "The Eyes" used in the manner it has been used for at least the last 30-40 years couldn't also be seen as having broken from its racist past.

Ultimately though it is just a song, it like any other "tradition" was selected as a representation of The University with the best information at the time, if new shit has come to light, then it should be changed.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Apparently we're all racist. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

These are two pretty silly posts.

Has anyone heard of any movement to make a racist rap song the UT alma mater? No?

Then you have no point. Unless you think "wait a minute?!?!? These people who are upset about this thing that might be wrong also participate in something else that I think is wrong?!?!?!? HMMMMMM Curiouser and curiouser" is a point.

Just pointing out the hypocrisy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xian said:

I must say. This has been a very good negotiation tactic. Everyone is willing to give them everything they want outright but the song 

You assume everyone read anything but the point of the song.

Acho being a drama queen, what does them being required to sing the song look like exactly? What are the repercussions if they don’t? If there is or ever has been any it’s fucking bullshit and that should absolutely be done away with.

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Acho being a drama queen, what does them being required to sing the song look like exactly? What are the repercussions if they don’t? If there is or ever has been any it’s fucking bullshit and that should absolutely be done away with.

I don't believe his statement for a second

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I mean it is sung in the rhythm of "I've been working on the railroad" which is definitely considered a pretty racist song.

I don't find that significant at all.   The Eyes of Texas itself is completely devoid of racist content.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1