COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

daughter in San Marcos tested positive Monday, took 10 days to get results.  They told her that since she has not had symptoms she can resume life.  As a precaution she is quarantining an additional week and getting another test.  

5 days prior to the positive test she got a rapid test, her BF and his roommate tested positive so she got tested, 1 hour results, negative.  Prompted to get the second test because 2 roommates work at Chuy’s which had an outbreak.  1 tested positive, one negative.   Among their close circle they know over 30 who have tested positive, only 2 with any symptoms at all and those were extremely minor.  

San Marcos doing its part toward herd immunity!

34 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

daughter in San Marcos tested positive Monday, took 10 days to get results.  They told her that since she has not had symptoms she can resume life.  As a precaution she is quarantining an additional week and getting another test.  

5 days prior to the positive test she got a rapid test, her BF and his roommate tested positive so she got tested, 1 hour results, negative.  Prompted to get the second test because 2 roommates work at Chuy’s which had an outbreak.  1 tested positive, one negative.   Among their close circle they know over 30 who have tested positive, only 2 with any symptoms at all and those were extremely minor.  

San Marcos doing its part toward herd immunity!

Do they feel ok? Sucks they’re positive but have they been able to weather it ok? Hoping none of them have been hospitalized or worse

• Fuck You 1

Another thing to consider is the number of people testing negative, but actually have the virus.

A friend of mine has been sick, got tested negative twice, then got an CXR and CT that confirmed both the COVID and the pneumonia she was experiencing.

I get that it seems ridiculous people are being asked to choose between in person school or not in June/July but I think people also need to think about what a shit show this is from a planning perspective for school districts.  They were basically told there would be in person schooling but very little guidance beyond that.    I saw a post from someone I went to law school with that shared some thoughts from an attorney representing school districts and the issues they are trying to think through.  Logistics around transportation (only way to socially distance on a school bus would be to have more busses, where is that in a budget?), staffing concerns, mask wearing, cleaning frequency, social distancing in classroom, sharing supplies, drop off/temp checks, what symptoms (other than fever) for sending kids home, what is protocol when there are positive cases in a classroom, what is protocol when positive cases with cafeteria workers  (and what if you have to shut cafeteria down when so many depend on school lunches for food). 

I'm just glad I don't have kids in school yet and that I'm not in charge of trying to figure all of this out, but I really sympathize with those that do/are.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Do they feel ok? Sucks they’re positive but have they been able to weather it ok? Hoping none of them have been hospitalized or worse

So daughter has the most recent results of the group of ~30, her results came back positive Monday  6/22. The actual test was 10 days prior on 6/12.  No symptoms, nothing at all.   Of the group, one said she had a cough and sore throat for 2 days and another said she couldn’t taste her OJ.  Out of the group those were all and the extent of symptoms, all the rest tested positive with no symptoms.   

I was extremely skeptical of the ~80% asymptomatic/immune theory posited earlier on, but in light of new information there must be something to it, or at least the idea some may have immunity from other Coronas.  ,I don’t know all of them but I do know 11 of the positives quite well, they come hang at our place regularly during normal times.  We are relieved and grateful that they are all well, and at this point we consider this a best case because we now worry less about how diligent they are (or weren’t) in trying to avoid catching it.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eastwood said:

It's being reported by several anonymous restaurant workers that large portions of their staff are testing positive and they aren't shutting down. They aren't even skipping a beat and the worst offenders are asking their staff to come in symptomatic. Symptomatic with this virus varies wildly. It could be anywhere from a light cough to ICU. So, if you're willing to roll the dice that the restaurant is following guidelines and being honest with their reporting and methods, by all means, roll the dice. But I'm way more concerned about other people's hubris, stupidity, and malice rather than the virus itself.

This is a good way to make things worse and get shut for a longer period of time.

And if somebody outside of those restaurants finds out that the restaurants have known infected workers present and working, that seems like a good lawsuit waiting to happen.

4 hours ago, bluto said:

As of today, there seems to be a playbook for this. Europe and East Asia (even Canada to a lesser extent) are pretty well open again with manageable case loads. admittedly there’s a long way to go on it on how their strategies play out, but where we stand so far seems to pale in comparison.

And again, as of today, herd immunity via spread is a damn tough ask when the long term impact of the disease in even the light to moderate symptomatic infections is unknown.

It seems like half of America is fighting off the 'beetus, so that's hurting us from the start.  

39 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I get that it seems ridiculous people are being asked to choose between in person school or not in June/July but I think people also need to think about what a shit show this is from a planning perspective for school districts.  They were basically told there would be in person schooling but very little guidance beyond that.    I saw a post from someone I went to law school with that shared some thoughts from an attorney representing school districts and the issues they are trying to think through.  Logistics around transportation (only way to socially distance on a school bus would be to have more busses, where is that in a budget?), staffing concerns, mask wearing, cleaning frequency, social distancing in classroom, sharing supplies, drop off/temp checks, what symptoms (other than fever) for sending kids home, what is protocol when there are positive cases in a classroom, what is protocol when positive cases with cafeteria workers  (and what if you have to shut cafeteria down when so many depend on school lunches for food). 

I'm just glad I don't have kids in school yet and that I'm not in charge of trying to figure all of this out, but I really sympathize with those that do/are.

Don't forget parents who give their kids Tylenol to knock a fever down so they can go to school, only for the kid to reveal it to the nurse later on in the day when their fever goes back up.

• Like 1

For those who missed it:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-testing-limited-austin/269-d38094c1-3c7c-45a6-9119-34463130cc19

Mayor Steve Adler said that Austin will no longer be testing those without COVID-19 symptoms because there are not currently enough tests for the number of people seeking them.

"Dr. [Mark] Escott is now saying that not everybody can get tested. We're going to go back to only testing people who are symptomatic because we frankly don't have enough testing capability and the tests are not coming back quickly enough," Adler said.

Additionally, the mayor asked those with insurance to not use the City of Austin's public health testing and to contact their doctors and insurance about where to get tested to save a place in the already overwhelmed public testing line.

5 hours ago, bluto said:

As of today, there seems to be a playbook for this. Europe and East Asia (even Canada to a lesser extent) are pretty well open again with manageable case loads. admittedly there’s a long way to go on it on how their strategies play out, but where we stand so far seems to pale in comparison.

And again, as of today, herd immunity via spread is a damn tough ask when the long term impact of the disease in even the light to moderate symptomatic infections is unknown.

We had a manageable, steady caseload for about a month after opening. To my eye now, the culprits pretty clearly were mask complacency and young people breaking down and congregating and socializing.  

Or basically just complacency in general. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

So daughter has the most recent results of the group of ~30, her results came back positive Monday  6/22. The actual test was 10 days prior on 6/12.  No symptoms, nothing at all.   Of the group, one said she had a cough and sore throat for 2 days and another said she couldn’t taste her OJ.  Out of the group those were all and the extent of symptoms, all the rest tested positive with no symptoms.   

I was extremely skeptical of the ~80% asymptomatic/immune theory posited earlier on, but in light of new information there must be something to it, or at least the idea some may have immunity from other Coronas.  ,I don’t know all of them but I do know 11 of the positives quite well, they come hang at our place regularly during normal times.  We are relieved and grateful that they are all well, and at this point we consider this a best case because we now worry less about how diligent they are (or weren’t) in trying to avoid catching it.  

Good to hear that your daughter and her friends are doing well. It is interesting to see how many are asymptomatic. 

Do any of them have comorbidities? Perhaps if you had pics of a large group of them we could maybe figure out how they did so well. An observational study, if you will. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Went to Walmart earlier, maybe 10% masked,. pretty even across the board, mal, female, black, white, young or old.  One exception, hispanic.  Did d see one single person wearing a mask. Social distancing was quite good though, which was surprising.

Where?

41 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

We had a manageable, steady caseload for about a month after opening. To my eye now, the culprits pretty clearly were mask complacency and young people breaking down and congregating and socializing.  

Or basically just complacency in general. 

Lol - wishful thinking.  It was clear that a lot of the mouth breathing, non mask crowd was out and about.  They got to go back to work and spread it, along with bars, protests, and terrible steaks with shitty carrots.

We're paying the price for the stupidity of our population.  Unfortunately the virus itself doesn't pick on stupid people, because the eugenics of that would be pretty spectacular, if catastrophic.  I've been drinking today because the fuckwits are going to destroy our economy over politics, fear of masking up for seeming like pussies, and needing to go out and drink in a bar.  We survived the first shutdown with a few layoffs, and I was feeling pretty good about prospects for the rest of the year.  Now I'm making a list of people who are first to go when projects start getting put on hold again.  An extended economic contraction is coming - fear is the worst possible thing for an economy, and the poor management of this crisis is engendering fear everywhere.

At least now it looks like masking up is polling in the 80th percentile, so maybe, somehow, we'll convince mouth breathers to wear them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Went to Walmart earlier, maybe 10% masked,. pretty even across the board, mal, female, black, white, young or old.  One exception, hispanic.  Did d see one single person wearing a mask. Social distancing was quite good though, which was surprising.

I’m in SA. I see hispanics in masks everywhere. Including me. 

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Why go to WalMart unless you are in the sticks? 

Had to run through HEB and Petco at Great Hills. 100% masks at HEB.

At Petco, some young bearded asshole is checking out, no mask. He forgot his wallet, went out, came back in with his young tattooed dipshit girlfriend...also no mask. Only two people I saw all day without masks.

At this point, it’s a fucking conscious choice of defiance. Even at HEB, the people who clearly weren’t all-in on masks conceptually were at least wearing a bandana or something like it.

People watching at HEB curbside, Costco, and CVS. In Brushy Creek & Cedar Park... 100% masked.

Took a chance and went into out neighborhood Texaco for a Lottery ticket (yes I know, so stfu) Wednesday because there were No cars outside. While I was inside (masked) for about a minute, as was the clerk, five customers came through the door.... not one frickin’ mask. 3 MAGA types and two Latinos (one was a kid). Struck out on the Lottery ticket too. 

As always, when returning to the car, I soak my hands in sanitizer and spray the bottom of my shoes before getting in.  Remove shoes in the garage before coming into the house.

23 hours ago, justhookit said:

Oops. New numbers just came out. Hospitalizations up 23, ICU up 2. New cases 212 so that’s 3 days in a row over 200. Percent positive looks to be approaching 25%.

Your daily Nueces county shitfest update. 228 new cases, hospitalizations up 17, ICU stable.

Just as a reminder our county had 331 total cases at the beginning of June. We are now going over 200 every day. Get it together people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Good to hear that your daughter and her friends are doing well. It is interesting to see how many are asymptomatic. 

Do any of them have comorbidities? Perhaps if you had pics of a large group of them we could maybe figure out how they did so well. An observational study, if you will. 

I’m betting a few of them have some really nice comorbidities.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Had to run through HEB and Petco at Great Hills. 100% masks at HEB.

At Petco, some young bearded asshole is checking out, no mask. He forgot his wallet, went out, came back in with his young tattooed dipshit girlfriend...also no mask. Only two people I saw all day without masks.

At this point, it’s a fucking conscious choice of defiance. Even at HEB, the people who clearly weren’t all-in on masks conceptually were at least wearing a bandana or something like it.

You should start carrying a couple plastic produce bags, and when you see people like that petco couple  run up behind them and bag their heads. It would actually be cool to have a cast net made of plastic you could trap them in.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I know this is minor in the scheme of things, but pretty bummed today. It’s my parents’ 50th Anniversary.  It’s a far cry from the celebration we had planned - just phone calls, cards, and videos.  We made the call in April to postpone the big party.  With the way things are in Texas today, none of my MAGA family members are questioning that call anymore.  Just hoping we might be able to do a 50.5 celebration around Christmas.  I know we made the right decision, but it still sucks.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I know this is minor in the scheme of things, but pretty bummed today. It’s my parents’ 50th Anniversary.  It’s a far cry from the celebration we had planned - just phone calls, cards, and videos.  We made the call in April to postpone the big party.  With the way things are in Texas today, none of my MAGA family members are questioning that call anymore.  Just hoping we might be able to do a 50.5 celebration around Christmas.  I know we made the right decision, but it still sucks.  

That does suck, sorry. But honestly, I think a second anniversary of the 50th is more realistic next summer. Stay healthy, and plan big for a date that hopefully isn’t overbooked after we get the vaccine (crossing fingers! But honestly think we will. We are an amazing species at times, we can do this, we have to do this and we will).

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Your daily Nueces county shitfest update. 228 new cases, hospitalizations up 17, ICU stable.

Just as a reminder our county had 331 total cases at the beginning of June. We are now going over 200 every day. Get it together people.

Jesus man. 

Today fore me: Central Market Houston - 100 percent masks.  Academy near Kirby off 59 - 100 percent masks.  Picking my kids up from Camp Ozark bus at St Luke’s - 100 percent masks.  

If you’re indoors in public in Texas and not wearing a mask you deserve to be shamed   Probably more than shamed but I’m not a violent man unless someone first gets violent with me.  

Where I frequent I’ve seen masks just about everywhere for months.   I’d like to see some data on mask wearing more than anecdotes by states   Because form what I’ve seen mask wearing is pretty common Especially the last week   

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Plus 1 for effort, but sorry, no pics.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’m betting a few of them have some really nice comorbidities.  

I really couldn’t speak to that, daughters friends and all. My son certainly has an opinion on the matter, he has spent the past 3 weeks in SM with one of them.

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Here is an article from the Texas Medical Association:

https://www.texmed.org/Template.aspx?id=53858&fbclid=IwAR3VUrDa5iYTzXUMApR3RlIDy2UvHVMqhXULW1GsIOHPLADdDPMzMFF4rXE

It talks about why new cases and hospitalizations are on the rise, but deaths are on a decline. Pretty age specific.

CHIEF

Deaths will lag hospitalizations by up to 6 weeks. Hold on to your butts

9 hours ago, bluto said:

My understanding is to get to herd immunity without a vaccine you need 80% of the population exposed. The most optimistic mortality rate I’ve seen is 5 in 1000 which is over a million dead and 10 times that with long term sequelae. Masks, testing tracing and isolation are the only way out of this

Or a Hail Mary vaccine

40 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Today fore me: Central Market Houston - 100 percent masks.  Academy near Kirby off 59 - 100 percent masks.  Picking my kids up from Camp Ozark bus at St Luke’s - 100 percent masks.  

If you’re indoors in public in Texas and not wearing a mask you deserve to be shamed   Probably more than shamed but I’m not a violent man unless someone first gets violent with me.  

Where I frequent I’ve seen masks just about everywhere for months.   I’d like to see some data on mask wearing more than anecdotes by states   Because form what I’ve seen mask wearing is pretty common Especially the last week   

Not surprising you live in an upper middle class neighborhood of highly educated professionals. Now go to the same places in Tomball and see the difference 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I think that we are seriously at a point that we need to consider accelerated challenge trials to get something approved asap. 

I would volunteer. I’m sure lots of healthcare professionals would. NPR has an interview w one of Salk’s sons. He said his dad brought the vaccine home and gave it to him and his brother before any clinical trial was even approved. He was like 9 and his brother 11 I think. Polio was a bad fucking disease. With polio and smallpox there were no antivaxxers back then 

40 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Not surprising you live in an upper middle class neighborhood of highly educated professionals. Now go to the same places in Tomball and see the difference 

Poor population (and general) of Galveston was 90% masked up today walking around the streets. Hell, probably 25% of the people on the beach were masked up this evening. And no one was within 30 yards of another group 

Im sorry to report I failed to get pictures of some absolutely insane smoke show.

Harris county update from SETRAC:
Covid ICU patients up 25 from yesterday; Total ICU patients (covid and non-covid) up 38 from yesterday.
Total Covid patients in hospital up 92; Total patients (covid and non-covid) in hospital down 568.  
Link

Last part is interesting, is that a typical # for discharges?

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

I would volunteer. I’m sure lots of healthcare professionals would. NPR has an interview w one of Salk’s sons. He said his dad brought the vaccine home and gave it to him and his brother before any clinical trial was even approved. He was like 9 and his brother 11 I think. Polio was a bad fucking disease. With polio and smallpox there were no antivaxxers back then 

No kidding. Parents hustled me & my brothers to the clinic ASAP for our polio shots when they first became available (1954?).

A kid in my parochial school class had suffered a bout with it several years before and had to wear heavy steel braces on both legs along with crutches. But he was a “lucky” one as he could still get around, albeit with effort. Better than all the iron lung cases we saw in the newsreels.
Salk was a national hero then.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 4

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such