Jump to content
GRHorn

Three Gorges Dam under strain, millions evacuated

Recommended Posts

On 7/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, JohnLocke said:

Conversation in Chinese construction company board room:

"We can't meet our schedule because we can't get enough cement for the concrete!"

"We can meet our schedule and save millions if we use 10% clay in place of cement!!"

"That's a great plan...nobody will every know..........unless.........well, we don't have time to worry about that"

 

..."and don't call me Surely"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

"deformed slightly"

spacer.png

 

I don't get it

1*YXsg-R0u_gndYHwNe8pT2Q.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, just realized from reading the article linked by Parliament that the dam's failure would imperil Wuhan. That's some biblical shit, wash away the origin of the pandemic with a flood?

2020's writers are really swinging for the fences

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Huh, just realized from reading the article linked by Parliament that the dam's failure would imperil Wuhan. That's some biblical shit, wash away the origin of the pandemic with a flood?

2020's writers are really swinging for the fences

Does that mean the flood will spread all across the world? God lied to us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Huh, just realized from reading the article linked by Parliament that the dam's failure would imperil Wuhan. That's some biblical shit, wash away the origin of the pandemic with a flood?

2020's writers are really swinging for the fences

Trump will take credit for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well it's ok, everyone knows that concrete deals really well with permanent deformation after a load higher than it was designed for

Your mom did really well after I gave her a load bigger than she was designed for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, davidg said:

Would tether my pipe to mid-90s Helen Hunt regardless if it was safe or not.

im very good with 2020 helen hunt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y’all some funny mother fuckers.  Step away and come back to this.  
 

Failure doesn’t have to be catastrophic either.  Technically with a large enough factor of safety even deformation causing significant loss of strength may just reduce design life or the event which the structure can withstand.

 

 Seriously though if this fails catastrophically all bets are off.  But the likeliest failure here is not going to be anything to see on camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hefeweizen said:


 

Failure doesn’t have to be catastrophic either.  

 

Seriously though if this fails catastrophically all bets are off.  But the likeliest failure here is not going to be anything to see on camera.

Those are the best kind though..... and on film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen failure a couple of times in my career and it is gut wrenching even when it’s not your design.  One was another engineer failing to account for hydraulic jump at the base of a small spillway , you could have parked a semi truck in the hole that was created.  Another was a wall that just slid down the hill a few feet but no one was hurt.  
 

My worst was just a pump that was undersized so it looked like irrigation heads were peeing instead of sprinkling.  The contractor who covered for me on that occasion has been a friend for a long time.  That was almost twenty years ago and if that’s the worst I experience I’ll count myself lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hefeweizen said:

I have seen failure a couple of times in my career and it is gut wrenching even when it’s not your design.  One was another engineer failing to account for hydraulic jump at the base of a small spillway , you could have parked a semi truck in the hole that was created.  Another was a wall that just slid down the hill a few feet but no one was hurt.  
 

My worst was just a pump that was undersized so it looked like irrigation heads were peeing instead of sprinkling.  The contractor who covered for me on that occasion has been a friend for a long time.  That was almost twenty years ago and if that’s the worst I experience I’ll count myself lucky.

Yep designing things that don't fail, and cause loss of life is a good thing. I've had a few scares over the years. Waking up in the middle of the night, and thinking ooooooooh shit.... did I do that wrong....  Been very lucky so far no issues. I had a very good engineer as a tutor.  His motto, "I stand by my work..... just not under it".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol.  My mentor’s saying was “the best engineers know what they don’t know.”  Mine is oh shit what did I forget to check?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Lol.  My mentor’s saying was “the best engineers know what they don’t know.”  Mine is oh shit what did I forget to check?

HEHEHEHEHEH.. Yep good engineers do know that,  just as important as what you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hate said:

So would this thing either hurry up and not fail or hurry up and fail?? The anticipation sucks.

July 20-September 20 is the typical high water mark for the 3G dam so they just recently crossed into the shithole. You have 60 days left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 10:17 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ain't Karma a Bitch ???

This.

Fuck China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this has a very zero hedge, pessimistic breakdown of Potential consequences, but it has a lot of info about the Yangtze River and its importance to China. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

this has a very zero hedge, pessimistic breakdown of Potential consequences, but it has a lot of info about the Yangtze River and its importance to China. 

He lost me when he started talking about interstate multinational railways and cargo hubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes.  #itsnothappening

That said, the Yangtze valley is a very important region for farming and industry.  All this flooding is still bad for them.  That and Covid distancing ain't gonna happen for a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Parliament said:

yes.  #itsnothappening

That said, the Yangtze valley is a very important region for farming and industry.  All this flooding is still bad for them.  That and Covid distancing ain't gonna happen for a bit.

It’s China, they would blow the dam on purpose to suppress another outbreak. They’d blame it on excessive rains. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...