Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

58 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

I'm not sure. I just remembered reading somewhere that he was 18 already. 

It's pretty common in upper middle class school districts.  There was "pre-first" at Westlake that a lot of parents would send their kids to with the primary motivation being sports as they got older.  Kinda fucked up IMO

12 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's pretty common in upper middle class school districts.  There was "pre-first" at Westlake that a lot of parents would send their kids to with the primary motivation being sports as they got older.  Kinda fucked up IMO

This is common for boys with late in the school year birthdays. My son had an August birthday and did a gap year. It had nothing to do with sports but was more an academic and social decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

I had to look up his birthday, but did he get held back...

Nothing to do with Quinn but i'm sure if you looked, most not all, schools that go far in football playoffs often have a fair number of kids who were held back.  In HS it makes a difference.  

34 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's more fun for the kid to be better at sports, more mature than some of their classmates, and get into a better college. It's hardly a level playing field, but who's going to give a shit about that w/r to their own kids?

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

This is common for boys with late in the school year birthdays. My son had an August birthday and did a gap year. It had nothing to do with sports but was more an academic and social decision. 

Sure, but Ewers was born in March. Not really applicable to him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Sure, I know why the program is there, but I'm saying it is abused a lot especially in affluent areas.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's more fun for the kid to be better at sports, more mature than some of their classmates, and get into a better college. It's hardly a level playing field, but who's going to give a shit about that w/r to their own kids?

I used to hate on people that did that as I was "iron sharpens iron" guy but now I see the benefits.

31 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

True but read that book by Gladwell.  He's already a few months ahead of many of his classmates

Ewers bday is Mid March. My son’s in as well and if he was going into his freshman year instead of his sophomore year, he’d be the only freshman that shaves daily. Ewers breakout sophomore year can really be looked at as most kids junior years. He’s ready for college, he should have reclassified a few months ago instead of waiting this long.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

I don't know what your problem is, but this is a really bad take and an even worse look for yourself. 
Quinn Ewers is very good, we would be stoked to have him enroll early at Texas. I think it's going to be fun to see what he turns out to be, hell he may even transfer here one day.

I would be stoked to have him enroll early (in the traditional sense). I wouldn’t be stoked to have him skip his senior season to enroll. That really jumpstarts the internal clock on when he will want to start or transfer. 5 star QBs don’t like to wait much more than a year, but now he’s looking at 2 before he likely has a shot. I also have to believe he would improve more playing a full senior season on a team that’s likely to go to the state championship than he will riding the bench in Ohio. He’ll make more money over the next year than he would’ve in HS, but the odds of this being his best long term decision isn’t great.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Should the majority of NIL money to under 21 kids be placed in a trust until they turn 21? Even that isn't perfect but turning some 17-18 yr old loose with a million in hand is bound to be disastrous more times than not. These are kids afterall

Nah. Child actors have been making millions for years. I’ve never seen that turn out poorly
  • Haha 2

I feel bad for the hs teammates of these uber-talented players that are skipping their senior seasons to cash in.   They were looking forward to/counting on these dudes to help make their seasons special and their leaders just said "fuck you, getting mine". 

They have the right to do what they feel is best for themselves and I have the right to think they're selfish cunts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I also have to believe he would improve more playing a full senior season on a team that’s likely to go to the state championship than he will riding the bench in Ohio.

You don't think that running the scout team against high level D1 players will improve him as much as playing high school ball?  This doesn't even take into account being in a D1 S&T program or the film study.

• Like 1

I feel bad for the hs teammates of these uber-talented players that are skipping their senior seasons to cash in.   They were looking forward to/counting on these dudes to help make their seasons special and their leaders just said "fuck you, getting mine". 
They have the right to do what they feel is best for themselves and I have the right to think they're selfish cunts. 

You’ve been watching Varsity Blues again haven’t you? This kids don’t give fucks man. It’s a 6A school.
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

You don't think that running the scout team against high level D1 players will improve him as much as playing high school ball?  This doesn't even take into account being in a D1 S&T program or the film study.

S&C and film study will be better. But there's a big difference between practice and actual game play. Plus, he's not totally running the scout team. He'll be splitting snaps with at least a couple other QBs. That being said, I don't know much about how scout teams practice so I'll admit could be totally wrong on my whole point, and I won't defend it any further than this.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:12 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Honestly how different is this than Texas and okie leaving the Big XII?

On 8/4/2021 at 9:12 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

😂

This is just like the countless kids who transfer to high schools in Texas from out-of-state for their senior years to play against the best and to try to raise their stock.

I don't recall ever seen a thread about how people feel bad for the teammates of those kids back in the states where they came from.

"I feel bad..."

😂  😂  😂

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/3/2021 at 5:25 PM, Reese Bennett said:

Who cares. 

Tony Soprano The Sopranos GIF - TonySoprano TheSopranos JamesGandolfini -  Discover & Share GIFs

Until he winds up in Austin in a few years.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:51 PM, futureman said:

not yet. 

Exactly. I'd put odds on him playing soon enough in Columbus at 50-50. He won't want to sit too long and the Buckeyes have 5-stars ahead of him and will have 5-stars behind him. We presumably finished #2 on his list of schools. I could very easily seem him portal-ing here if things don't work out at Ohio State. But if we get Arch Manning ...

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Damn the shade Klub is throwing is outta this world  

I don’t know the kid but if his defense wasn’t one of the best in the country would he be so mouthy? If you switched him and Ewers is the outcome of that state game any different? I like swagger as much as the next guy but this gives me baker mayfield vibes lol. 

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don’t know the kid but if his defense wasn’t one of the best in the country would he be so mouthy? If you switched him and Ewers is the outcome of that state game any different? I like swagger as much as the next guy but this gives me baker mayfield vibes lol. 

He finished ahead of Ewers at the Elite 11 competition, so...

Yeah, I'd think that the result would be somewhat different. Maybe Westlake would have still won, but maybe not. They may have lacked some swagger needed to make it to the final in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/4/2021 at 11:46 AM, SquishMitten said:

S&C and film study will be better. But there's a big difference between practice and actual game play. Plus, he's not totally running the scout team. He'll be splitting snaps with at least a couple other QBs. That being said, I don't know much about how scout teams practice so I'll admit could be totally wrong on my whole point, and I won't defend it any further than this.

Scout team isn’t really a great place to develop during the season. You’re up against the starters, and during the week you’re just trying to copy some plays that the opponent is going to run, and you don’t get as many reps or as much time learning your own playbook. That’s why it’s usually non-legit prospects out there. That’s assuming scout team in college is how it is in high school. Not that I ever played on scout team. But from my time as starting all-state QB that’s how I remember it.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Scout team isn’t really a great place to develop during the season. You’re up against the starters, and during the week you’re just trying to copy some plays that the opponent is going to run, and you don’t get as many reps or as much time learning your own playbook. That’s why it’s usually non-legit prospects out there. That’s assuming scout team in college is how it is in high school. Not that I ever played on scout team. But from my time as starting all-state QB that’s how I remember it.

Al Bundy 2Gif GIF by memecandy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/3/2021 at 10:29 AM, TonyTexas said:

Seems like it got a lot more popular after Gladwell’s book Outliers was written. It was all over the news at the time. The book addresses the evidence that kids who are older for their grade perform better at sports and academics That advantage follows them all the way through their development, even to the extent that most pro athletes (in hockey, I think) fell into that category. 

• Hook 'Em 1

giphy.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

tenor.gif?itemid=12852000

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

He finished ahead of Ewers at the Elite 11 competition, so...

Yeah, I'd think that the result would be somewhat different. Maybe Westlake would have still won, but maybe not. They may have lacked some swagger needed to make it to the final in the first place.

I realized after typing a bunch of responses out that this is some 5d chess futureman shit and I'm being trolled. Whatever your opinion is of ewers is right, along with the rest of this threads beliefs haha. The two other qb's who he compares to similarly were VY and Trevor lawrence so its almost guaranteed klubnik is just as good lol. I'm taking my ball and going home haha. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

This thread at least delivered Helobious’ claim of being an All State quarterback from the high school football hotbed that is the Lower Rio Grande Valley. He must have a statue right next to Koy Detmer. 

And if coach had put me in 4th quarter we’d a been state champs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust