When a Wound Won't Heal

I cut my chin shaving about four months ago and the fucker won't heal.  I've tried every kind of salve, balm, ointment etc... I clean it with peroxide once per day. It's not infected and there's no pain.  A band-aid only sticks for about 30 minutes because my beard grows and pushes it off. It doesn't appear to be getting any larger, just not any smaller. It's about the size of a match head. I'm in good shape, good health, get plenty of protein and sleep.  I've even sat at my desk with my chin dipped in salt water for 30 minutes at a time.  I grew my beard out so it's not really visible but it is definitely slowly seeping. If I wash and clean it before going to bed it's pretty much invisible but, when I wake up, there's a dot there of dried blood about 1/4 the size of a dime. I think part of the reason it won't scab over and shrink is because, in fact, my beard does grow through it. I hate going to the doctor but I may eventually have to.  Any suggestions for a weal that won't heal?  It's pissing me off!

have you tried leaving it alone?

if nothing else, quit with the peroxide.  it does not promote healing.  hospitals don't even use it on open wounds anymore.  they use it as more of a cleaning product for dried blood, now.  or so I was told when I gashed my leg and had to get it stitched up.  they flushed it with saline.

• Hook 'Em 1

I cut my chin shaving about four months ago and the fucker won't heal.

Somehow I read this the first time as "I cut my leg chainsawing..." and was thinking damn, this dude is hardcore.  Then I took another look and...

Seriously though, there are some underlying issues that could (though probably not) be in play.  Since you've already let it ride for 4 months and you say you hate going to the doctor, Imma go out on a limb and say yearly physicals probably aren't a thing for you.  Schedule one.  They'll do a regular work up (moon riverrr...), and you'll have an opportunity to ask about it.

Edited by TexasHooch

Peroxide is not your friend here.  And on your face NORMALLY you should heal up pretty quick.  I would probably be starting to have a decent level of concern about the WHY?  Is it not healing because you can't help but touch it 12 times a day?  Then that could be a huge contributor.  

I would apply neosporin antibiotic ointment to the would every night.  This is a good counter test in order to see if peroxide is the culprit.  IF it does not seal over with new skin, in a couple days of this, you need to go to the doc.  You could be diabetic, but normally the wounds that do not heal are more on your extremities.  I would be more concerned that you nicked a cancer growth and that is why it won't heal properly.

But try the neosporin, I had about 1/4 of my face smashed into the dirt and it took my cheek dam near to the bone, and  the side of my mouth was truly fucked.  I week later I had a new layer of very tender pink new skin.  So I know that on a small wound if it does not work, something else is going on.

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

when I wake up, there's a dot there of dried blood about 1/4 the size of a dime. I Any suggestions for a weal that won't heal? 

58 minutes ago, baboso said:

Go see a dermatologist and get it checked for skin cancer.  4 months is a long time.

Take bobaso's advice,  especially with the presence of blood and not healing.

53 minutes ago, baboso said:

Go see a dermatologist and get it checked for skin cancer.  4 months is a long time.

I kind of agree with this, but if you want to try one last thing for a week you could try this. Only reason I'm suggesting this is because it looks like you've been abusing it with medications. I once had an open sore on my chest that wouldn't heal. it was a rash and i made the mistake of putting neosporin ointment on it. It was nasty. A band aid only exacerbated the problem. Saw a doc. He said it was a subcutaneous infection (below the skin). He said wash it with soap, get it clean and put cortizone cream on it. It needs fresh air to heal. I don't recall him suggesting using an astringent, but that might work as well. Don't fucking touch it at all unless you just finished washing your hands. Keyboards are filthy with germs. If it doesn't begin to heal immediately, then go see a doc. 

Go see a doc

while you’re waiting, I’d go old school Mexican cure. Find yourself a real aloe plant, not the solo stalks they sell at some grocery stores. Get said plant, cut off a stalk, take off a square, cut the thorns, half the square along the juicy middle, apply to face before bed. Repeat next morning after brushing your teeth, washing face/shit/shower/shave/etc. Should be cleared up by that night. Shit I’d send ya some, or ask a knowledgeable Mexican grandma if ya know any. 

but yeah, keep the doc appt either way. Good luck 

here.  read the MSDS for hydrogen peroxide and then tell me you still want to rub this on your face every day

https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/11189.htm

Appearance: clear, colorless liquid.
Danger! Strong oxidizer. Contact with other material may cause a fire. Eye contact may result in permanent eye damage. Corrosive. Causes eye and skin irritation and possible burns. May be harmful if swallowed. May cause severe respiratory tract irritation with possible burns. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with possible burns. May cause blood abnormalities. Light sensitive. May cause central nervous system effects.
Target Organs: Blood, central nervous system.

Potential Health Effects
Eye: Contact with liquid is corrosive to the eyes and causes severe burns. Contact with the eyes may cause corneal damage.
Skin: Causes severe skin irritation and possible burns. May cause discoloration, erythema (redness), swelling, and the formation of papules and vesicles (blisters).
Ingestion: Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause vascular collapse and damage. May cause damage to the red blood cells. May cause difficulty in swallowing, stomach distension, possible cerebral swelling and death. Ingestion may result in irritation of the esophagus, bleeding of the stomach and ulcer formation.
Inhalation: Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. May cause ulceration of nasal tissue, insomnia, nervous tremors with numb extremities, chemical pneumonia, unconsciousness, and death. At high concentrations, respiratory effects may include acute lung damage and delayed pulmonary edema.
Chronic: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Repeated contact may cause corneal damage.

Granted, i think the stuff you are using is more diluted than this, but yeah, stop using it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, horn4life said:

Peroxide is not your friend here.  And on your face NORMALLY you should heal up pretty quick.  I would probably be starting to have a decent level of concern about the WHY?  Is it not healing because you can't help but touch it 12 times a day?  Then that could be a huge contributor.  

I would apply neosporin antibiotic ointment to the wound every night.  This is a good counter test in order to see if peroxide is the culprit.  IF it does not seal over with new skin, in a couple days of this, you need to go to the doc.  You could be diabetic, but normally the wounds that do not heal are more on your extremities.  I would be more concerned that you nicked a cancer growth and that is why it won't heal properly.

But try the neosporin, I had about 1/4 of my face smashed into the dirt and it took my cheek dam near to the bone, and  the side of my mouth was truly fucked.  I week later I had a new layer of very tender pink new skin.  So I know that on a small wound if it does not work, something else is going on.

SO... Do I get a gold star! 

VERY glad the would healed.  A tip of the hat to my neighbor of oh so long ago Candy Parker who told me Neosporin would help with my case of skid face.