Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

9 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I like the take based on highlights and measurables. I’m guessing he hasn’t hit the camp circuit. Offer list isn’t impressive, but his film is. Hopefully his 3* rating will make him hungry and coachable. 

He camped with us in June according to Nick Harris. Performed well, apparently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stop shitting on our commits, aggy. 

I missed the “Champ Lewis is on the Texas radar” post.
I’m not going to do backflips for a CB ranked in the 70s with an 85 ranking.

I’m really hoping the recruiting services underevaluated him.

21aa0643edae3919fe38876e567c26a1.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 16

12 minutes ago, XForce said:

I missed the “Champ Lewis is on the Texas radar” post.
I’m not going to do backflips for a CB ranked in the 70s with an 85 ranking.

I’m really hoping the recruiting services underevaluated him.

21aa0643edae3919fe38876e567c26a1.jpg

Nobody gives a shit what you think. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I like the take based on highlights and measurables. I’m guessing he hasn’t hit the camp circuit. Offer list isn’t impressive, but his film is. Hopefully his 3* rating will make him hungry and coachable. 

Nick Harris tweeted that the Texas staff was really impressed with him at their camp in June so he’s at least been to Texas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Can't wait for this off-season to be over and see what the new team looks like. If we dominate in our first 2-3 games while the offense shows flashes of what people saw last year at Bama, the recruiting momentum can change quickly. If we don't show improvement until late in the season, then we might be looking at a class just outside of top 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Atticus said:

While it sucks that the top level guys aren't buying what the staff is selling, they would have just decommitted if the season didn't go as well as planned.

We can show well with good evals and good coaching, then get more of the high rated guys once we have on-field success.

A couple of years back, just for shits and giggles, i took a look at some of Clemson's recruiting classes from the previous years thinking man they must be killing it in recruiting with the way they play.  I was shocked to find a lot of there recruiting classes composite scores were close to Texas's classes...

Our previous coaching staffs have really dropped the ball on talent evaluation and development...I'm excited about this staff because it seems a lot of the coaches have a decent history in developing players...

I hope you're right that they can turn some of the 3 star type guys into studs for us and make this team more competitive...Winning makes everything better...

Edited by Azbadlands

Thx for this @BurntOrange&White

Bobby Burton...

I’m not trying to steal the thunder of a recruit who has yet to announce, but I expect Beaumont West Brook blue chipper Bryce Anderson to pick A&M today over the Horns.   I believe the Texas coaching staff feels the same way and that fact was a primary driver in the decision to offer and accept the commitment of Champ Lewis last night.

The loss of Anderson is big. He was ultimately swayed because he knew more players going to Aggieland than he did Texas, because the Aggies out-recruited Texas.

Something Steve Sarkisian said in his opening presser this week rings true.  These recruits have not seen a product on the field yet. You can tell recruits until you’re blue in the face, but it’s another thing for them to see it first-hand.  Texas is fighting that uphill battle in recruiting right now. They have been all summer.

But now that the season is officially here, we’re going to see what the product looks like on the field.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Burton is mistaken if he thinks a good season changes recruiting. Only a scandal at A&M will change things for the 2021-2022 recruiting cycle.

It's a low probability scenario, but winning the conference and making the playoff would help with some big recruits, imo 

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's a low probability scenario, but winning the conference and making the playoff would help with some big recruits, imo 

As long as they remain uncommitted may have a chance but it is hard if all the buddies are heading to the same place... plus bag

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think the probability of any particular player decommitting from A&M and committing to Texas is extremely small. All their friends are already there or planning to go there. Plus, Jimbo has done stuff in the past at FSU that shows that perception matters and he won't let guys go to a rival school without doing everything to keep them. And to top it off, A&M isn't going to lose enough games to put any jobs in jeopardy.

We need to push hard out of state this year. Prysock, LTG, and some out of state linemen would help. We need to pay Harris and Perkins and Stewart and make damn sure we win those recruitments. And we need to get Banks and Dewberry into the fold.   

7 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

As long as they remain uncommitted may have a chance but it is hard if all the buddies are heading to the same place... plus bag

If you win big and make it to the playoff, there will be other stud prospects available. It won't necessarily get us to the type of class we were hoping to get to, but it would improve the class 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the aggy schedule, they won’t have any issues keeping these guys onboard. Even if we are undefeated going into OU, it won’t move the needle as aggy isn’t losing to Hardin Simmons and Howard Payne.  Plus, Jimbo has some type of mind control over these guys to keep them from decommiting (ok probably bags). 

So recruiting style-wise over the last decade we went from:

Mack Brown:  Identified his targets early and hoped to have the recruiting class committed before their senior season started.  Got lazy.  Evaluations suffered.  Roster went to shit.

Charlie Strong:  Took the first 9 months of the cycle off and then crammed 12 months of recruiting into 3 months.  Signed some decent classes - but not at the level Texas was expected to sign.

Tom Herman:  Hit and miss with evaluations and his staff outside of a couple of guys were shit coaches and recruiters.  Signed top classes but roster management was bad (where are the OL?).  Carrington saved a lot of recruitments.  Herman was an asshole who wouldn't even acknowledge players in the hallways - but he did have enough personality to finish out some pretty good classes.

Early evaluations of Sark are that he is extremely laid back in his recruiting style.  Wants kids to take their time and isn't looking to pressure anyone to make a decision early.  Problem appears to be that the HC and staff haven't really pushed or prioritized the top guys enough.  At least one (Anderson) has 9.95'ers reporting that he felt more 'wanted' by other coaching staffs.  Sark and staff do appear to be quick with backup options when their main target goes elsewhere.  Did a decent job in the transfer portal filling needs.  Initial reports were that Sark's personality would be a big plus in recruiting.

We heard that Banks was a big time recruiter and closer - but that was with Saban as the Head Coach.  Does it matter what type of recruiter you are if the Head Coach can't match you?

Would replacing Harris necessarily solve the problem of Sark not being engaged enough or not pushing hard enough for early commitments? 

Is the alcoholism a concern at all for parents/recruits?  I haven't seen any 9.95'ers report about it since around the time of the hire - is that because recruits and parents don't give a shit?

Is this going to be more of a Strong style of recruiting where they try to get things done at the end of the season?

Obviously these are all just early evaluations - and Sark is fighting against a decade of the worst Texas football ever where kids being recruited now have never seen Vince Young play except on youtube.   

Will the move to the SEC make a big enough difference to get recruiting back to Mack or even Herman levels?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So recruiting style-wise over the last decade we went from:

Mack Brown:  Identified his targets early and hoped to have the recruiting class committed before their senior season started.  Got lazy.  Evaluations suffered.  Roster went to shit.

Charlie Strong:  Took the first 9 months of the cycle off and then crammed 12 months of recruiting into 3 months.  Signed some decent classes - but not at the level Texas was expected to sign.

Tom Herman:  Hit and miss with evaluations and his staff outside of a couple of guys were shit coaches and recruiters.  Signed top classes but roster management was bad (where are the OL?).  Carrington saved a lot of recruitments.  Herman was an asshole who wouldn't even acknowledge players in the hallways - but he did have enough personality to finish out some pretty good classes.

Early evaluations of Sark are that he is extremely laid back in his recruiting style.  Wants kids to take their time and isn't looking to pressure anyone to make a decision early.  Problem appears to be that the HC and staff haven't really pushed or prioritized the top guys enough.  At least one (Anderson) has 9.95'ers reporting that he felt more 'wanted' by other coaching staffs.  Sark and staff do appear to be quick with backup options when their main target goes elsewhere.  Did a decent job in the transfer portal filling needs.  Initial reports were that Sark's personality would be a big plus in recruiting.

We heard that Banks was a big time recruiter and closer - but that was with Saban as the Head Coach.  Does it matter what type of recruiter you are if the Head Coach can't match you?

Would replacing Harris necessarily solve the problem of Sark not being engaged enough or not pushing hard enough for early commitments? 

Is the alcoholism a concern at all for parents/recruits?  I haven't seen any 9.95'ers report about it since around the time of the hire - is that because recruits and parents don't give a shit?

Is this going to be more of a Strong style of recruiting where they try to get things done at the end of the season?

Obviously these are all just early evaluations - and Sark is fighting against a decade of the worst Texas football ever where kids being recruited now have never seen Vince Young play except on youtube.   

Will the move to the SEC make a big enough difference to get recruiting back to Mack or even Herman levels?

I think Sark suffers a little from Alabama style recruiting. They paid to get some of the premier guys from out of state. They pretty much knew who was going to be in the remainder of the class and let guys take their time while they continued to evaluate. If a guy got hurt during the season or didn't pan out in his senior year they would be dropped and another recruit would take their place. Basically, it was more of a selection process than a recruiting process. Then he got to Texas and Texas didn't pay to lock up premier guys early and Sark continued to let guys go through the process. A&M was already cheating rampantly and stepped it up in the last few weeks as Jimbo was feeling pressure from having a new rival.

Since it needs to be repeated apparently,  massive flips basically never happen if a kid commits elsewhere the odds of Texas flipping them are slim. So people thinking that if Sark wins 10 games we are going to see tons of blue chips flip to Texas and secure a top 5 class are going extremely disappointed. The last massive flip event I can think of was UGA in 2017 but that with a SEC conference title, title game appearance, bagmen dropping off ford raptors, and Kirby showing photo's of Sabans recruiting board to make that happen. So I feel it's pretty safe to say Texas isn't going todo that. 

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 1

This staff has much more of a hill to climb than the previous 2 regimes.  Recruits aren't just buying hope anymore, time for them to see for themselves this season what Sark and his #ALLGASNOBRAKES mantra does on the field.

By November we should all know if we are in good hands or not

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think Sark suffers a little from Alabama style recruiting. They paid to get some of the premier guys from out of state. They pretty much knew who was going to be in the remainder of the class and let guys take their time while they continued to evaluate. If a guy got hurt during the season or didn't pan out in his senior year they would be dropped and another recruit would take their place. Basically, it was more of a selection process than a recruiting process. Then he got to Texas and Texas didn't pay to lock up premier guys early and Sark continued to let guys go through the process. A&M was already cheating rampantly and stepped it up in the last few weeks as Jimbo was feeling pressure from having a new rival.

bama picks who they want because of their performance on the field. you’re kidding yourself if you think that part just doesn’t matter. 

not directed at you ^^ just anyone pushing back against this. sark has no track record at texas. negative recruiting works when we haven’t won a game yet with this staff. 

win 10+ games and opportunities will present themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

Since in need to be apparently repeated massive flips basically never happen if a kid commits elsewhere the odds of Texas flipping them are slim. So people thinking that if Sark wins 10 games we are going to see tons of blue chips flip to Texas and secure a top 5 class are going extremely disappointed. The last massive flip event I can think of was UGA in 2017 but that with a SEC conference title, title game appearance, bagmen dropping off ford raptors, and Kirby showing photo's of Sabans recruiting board to make that happen. So I feel it's pretty safe to say Texas isn't going todo that. 

Yep but for the players who are holding off til December or February, it can only help us that they can see what and how we are doing on Saturdays

2 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

That who? Stewart, Harris, Perkins? I don’t like the odds on any of those.

I like the odds on any recruit who sees Texas win, and sees the overall football environment view us as a contender.

Sark has a lot of work to do, but if we crush it, he’s going to solve a lot of problems.

3 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

That who? Stewart, Harris, Perkins? I don’t like the odds on any of those.

Dewberry, Thompson, Neto.. just cause you don't like the odds doesn't mean the staff won't give it a try.. and hopefully have positive results on the field and with some individual players ascending in their respective roles

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Moved up from Recruiting Assistant - maybe lets do the same with Harris?

I don't know when the normal time for these types of promotions would be (camp is just starting so maybe this is the perfect time to do this) but do we really want fewer people involved in recruiting right now?

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting