What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

43 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Anyone’s opinion of Austin should be discounted if they only lived there 4 years while in undergrad. Same goes for people acting as if they have perspective outside their hometown if they lived their whole life in one city minus the 4 years at UT. 

Based on that definition my opinion counts! Fuck ya! Carry on…also live in Houston long enough to know it’s not somewhere I’d want to live in again.

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That's because people in the Northern Hemisphere are idiots when it comes to Christmas. Where does it say in the Bible it was snowing on lil JC's birthday? Why would it be? Bethlehem is at the same fucking latitude as Lufkin.

I spent a Christmas in the Galilee and the weather was enormously Houston-like, and I was about an hour north of Bethlehem. If you expect a White Christmas you've been sold a bill of goods by Yankees and Euros. 

I cannot fucking believe I just repped you, but here we are. 

My advice for anyone who lives  their whole lives in one location or state is to at least spend a lot of time traveling, preferably abroad. A lot. It will completely change you as a person and how you think about just about everything. All for the better. 

Agree. I would even go further to say if you have lived your whole life in Texas move away for some amount of time. It will broaden your perspective. And I say this as a 4th generation Texan.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Agree. I would even go further to say if you have lived your whole life in Texas move away for some amount of time. It will broaden your perspective. And I say this as a 4th generation Texan.

I moved to SWFL for 3 years before coming back 3 years ago. Loved it, had a helluva lotta fun. Was so easy to walk away from, though, and I was so happy to come back to TX, even though my current location is far from what I am used to. Never leaving again  

I am fortunate in that I get to travel, though. And you are right, persoective is a valuable thing to possess. 

Outside of Murder, Houston has made it basically impossible to hold someone on bail. 
At the time of the shooting, Sykes was out on bond for an April 2021 charge of evading arrest. Court documents reveal after the shooting, Sykes left the hotel and was later arrested on June 7.

According to court records, Sykes posted a $100,000 bond last week. In an email written to KPRC 2, a representative for Taylor’s family said they want his bond revoked.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Yep.  I currently live in California and have lived in a few other OOS places.  I do miss a lot of things about Texas but glad I made the moves as well.

On 7/17/2021 at 6:43 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Violent crime in the city has been on the rise. Between that, the rise in cost of living, flooding, and traffic/sprawl, I am fucking over this place. Houston sucks.

Tbf is there any place that is even remotely desirable that doesn't have a high cost of living? A friend of mine recently bought a place in KC. Was blown away at how expensive the real estate & rent is there now. Not exactly the most desirable city either considering the crime, jobs, geography, & a host of other problems. 

Tbf is there any place that is even remotely desirable that doesn't have a high cost of living? A friend of mine recently bought a place in KC. Was blown away at how expensive the real estate & rent is there now. Not exactly the most desirable city either considering the crime, jobs, geography, & a host of other problems. 

For the most part I agree. But desirability is also personal. Not everyone wants to live in San Francisco, Austin or New York.

For me, El Paso is pretty desirable, although I think many would think I am crazy. I love the desert. El Paso is a safe city. I believe the safest in Texas. It’s a good jumping off point for the SW or Big Bend. I haven’t looked at the cost of living, but I doubt it’s higher than Houston.

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Outside of Murder, Houston has made it basically impossible to hold someone on bail. 

That's not true, at least as far as "cashless" bail goes, which only applies to misdemeanors.  You've been sold a bill of political goods.

People are conflating "cashless bail" for misdemeanors, which is just a fuckjob on poor people, with possibly inadequate bail for violent felonies,  The two are completely unrelated.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don’t follow the local news much in Houston but the little that gets my attention seems to be more violent lately. It couldn’t have helped much with people being locked up in their homes over the last year.

If I’m not mistaken this trend is occurring almost everywhere. At least Texas’ murder rate is lower than the 4 states that border us.

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I agree with this. Big time.

I have lived in Houston, Austin, DC and Campinas, Brazil. I think my opinion is fairly informed.

I think we have talked about this before I spent a lot of time in Campinhas and Valinhos ( spelling?) and fucking loved it!

• Like 1

So I flip the news on this morning and three killed in a shootout with police at 290 and Antoine and a man shot dead after a car accident at I45N and Mount Houston.  Shooter was not involved in accident.  He just got into a tussle while hanging out at the scene.  This stuff is happening every single night.  

• Rage+1 1

So I flip the news on this morning and three killed in a shootout with police at 290 and Antoine and a man shot dead after a car accident at I45N and Mount Houston.  Shooter was not involved in accident.  He just got into a tussle while hanging out at the scene.  This stuff is happening every single night.  

Ah yes, a palace inn. A swinger friend of mine said they have hourly rates they don’t advertise. That particular block is a shit, although in the past 6 months it has been a little more chill.

Do y’all have kids? Are they in public school?

Houston does have amazing food. Best food city in Texas. Culturally, pretty rich city in that regard, but I don’t think it’s necessary unique. Most large cities have museums, theatre and art (and pro sports).

My negativity stems admittedly some frustration with having been laid off and looking for work for over a year. Jobs are being outsourced to India. When there is a job posting for my position, there are more than 25 applicants. Sometimes more than 50. It’s frustrating.

And the city has become much more violent in the past year. Nothing appealing about that.

A year? Haha, 25 or 50. Haha…. I would walk through your nickel for that kind of fortune with that Bruce Willis sign.

Earlier in the pandemic it was worse. I was talking to a recruiter and she had one position with nearly 500 applicants.

That was my experience, always 100’s of applicants at a minimum.

Fwiw, year 2 is far worse than year one, and more akin to the 3-6 month blues.

Sorry for seeming like a dick earlier, it didn’t read as I intended. After 2+ decades with the woman, you would think I could correct that by now.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:31 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I am fully aware of the cost of living.  I lived in Austin off and on for 10 years.  A house my brother bought in 2002 in Austin for $200k and sold a few years later is now listed at $1.2 MM.  A house in Austin I lived in 2012/13 that was worth $260K is now worth $650K.  I also have lived in DC where cost of living has skyrocketed out of control.  Regardless of all that, if you want to by a house inside the loop or just outside of it, with good schools (LULZ HISD), you are on the hook for $400k at the minimum.  Your average middle class family can't afford that.

Spring Branch has excellent public schools south of 10.

Whilst driving to Galveston last Friday, my 7-year old had a stomach attack. So, we had to exit off the first stop on 610. Stopped at a hood ass gas station. Then a wreck happened so GPS detoured us through 5th ward on Lockwood to 45. Would not do again…and I lived on the south side of Chicago for years. I did buy a scratch off and won $100 so that was a positive.

74f9a80ec6514640f6fe362555ff3411.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 8:52 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

And the city has become much more violent in the past year. Nothing appealing about that.

Back around '90 or '91, Houston had over 600 murders, and people were printing up t-shirts with "MURDER CAPITOL OF THE US" (or maybe world, don't remember) and selling them - people were somehow proud of that fact. And I think around 10 years earlier, it was even worse.

It's fucking Houston.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:18 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

If you are middle class (real middle class, not surly fuck you im middle class), you aren’t living anywhere near the city. If you have kids, and can’t afford private school, you aren’t living in Houston proper. Here is a quick and dirty map of areas of Houston where you want to live (green) ans don’t want to live (red). I spend months of my life in the hoods of Houston doing photography (all those photos I posted are mine). Fuck this city. Oh cool, the mayor was dancing on 7/13?  Hopefully the mayor will be dancing when we catch up with Chicago when it comes to murders or Detroit when it comes to unemployment. Don’t @ me you fucking millennial douchbages, I am left of center, but I have had it. Fuck this place. 

spacer.png

Afton Oaks is hood now?

19 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That's because people in the Northern Hemisphere are idiots when it comes to Christmas. Where does it say in the Bible it was snowing on lil JC's birthday? Why would it be? Bethlehem is at the same fucking latitude as Lufkin.

I spent a Christmas in the Galilee and the weather was enormously Houston-like, and I was about an hour north of Bethlehem. If you expect a White Christmas you've been sold a bill of goods by Yankees and Euros. 

that sounds like something someone stuck in houston would say.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was just doing inside the beltway. Do I need to go make an official map? The majority of the city is shit. I can confirm it. Born and raised here. Most of my life was spent here.

I was kidding - I lived in Sugar Land 30 years ago, and go through the area (and Mo City) every now and then.

I could write a little manifesto about the changes of that area, how it's gone up and down in quality and shiftiness, etc.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Whilst driving to Galveston last Friday, my 7-year old had a stomach attack. So, we had to exit off the first stop on 610. Stopped at a hood ass gas station. Then a wreck happened so GPS detoured us through 5th ward on Lockwood to 45. Would not do again…and I lived on the south side of Chicago for years. I did buy a scratch off and won $100 so that was a positive.

74f9a80ec6514640f6fe362555ff3411.png

532EC05F-9BC4-4153-A4AB-96003207C072.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

For the most part I agree. But desirability is also personal. Not everyone wants to live in San Francisco, Austin or New York.

For me, El Paso is pretty desirable, although I think many would think I am crazy. I love the desert. El Paso is a safe city. I believe the safest in Texas. It’s a good jumping off point for the SW or Big Bend. I haven’t looked at the cost of living, but I doubt it’s higher than Houston.

El Paso is a great place to live for those reasons.  Close to a lot of cool outdoor stuff.

One of the first things I noticed when moving to Austin from Houston was the news. Every night in Houston they would highlight one or more death/murders. Always the top story. The live stock show and rodeo always had a night to honor the dozen or more police officers killed the previous year. 

Austin?  The lead was an elementary school field trip.  Think there were less than 25 murders annually. 

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

One of the first things I noticed when moving to Austin from Houston was the news. Every night in Houston they would highlight one or more death/murders. Always the top story. The live stock show and rodeo always had a night to honor the dozen or more police officers killed the previous year. 

Austin?  The lead was an elementary school field trip.  Think there were less than 25 murders annually. 

Yeah, I miss the old "real" Austin too.

37 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's also something someone familiar with how climate works would say. If you want you White Christmas, fine, but it's not Christian. It's pagan, and you will burn for that. 

"Look mum, there's chocolate eggs in my sock drawer!"

"That's the story of Jesus!!!"

/Bill Hicks

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1