Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think anyone with half a brain understands that. There are anonymous message board posters on a school fan website who may “say” things to the contrary, but I really think it’s a bit in response to how often they hear how “arrogant” they are

there may be a few individual who actually believe it, but these are probably people who have other people shop for them and fly private to Cannes or wherever the fuck, but I cant say for sure as I don’t really run in those circles

Username & avatar are good confirmation of that last paragraph.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

So...Nebraska REALLY DID have Oklahoma and Texas pegged correctly in 2010, right?  Ten years of faux outrage and butthurt by both institutions duly noted. 

That is all.

If Nebraska and Colorado hadn't bolted back in 2010, I feel reasonably confident saying the Big 12 would still be in existence. aggy has always had a wandering eye to the east but there's a reasonably good chance, we're all still together if Nebraska didn't bolt.

31 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Nobody questions your clear blue blood history status, or the great value to the SEC by your joining. Unless stupid or Aggy. But your power and influence in your new conference will not be the same as in your former. It just won’t. And that is not intended as an insult.

As brisket said, none taken. You have to remember who you're talking to. Texas hasn't been in a stable conference where all members are rowing in the same direction since what, the early 80's? Rampant and blatant cheating by SMU, aggy, TCU and others in the early/mid 80's put an already-shaky SWC on more uneven ground (all schools in Texas + the Razorbacks) and then the aforementioned Razorbacks took off for the SEC. There was thought Texas might've joined then too -- but state politics (and most likely aggy) would never have let us leave by ourselves (another problem having eight of nine conference teams in Texas).

By the early-90's, the SWC was DOA. We helped form the Big 12 with help from Oklahoma and Nebraska and it was great the beginning. The football was fantastic with Top 10 programs in Nebraska and K-State at first, then Oklahoma and Texas soon after. But the endless losses to Texas, and the elimination of their partial scholarship/county scholarship game, got Nebraska's blood boiling so they took off for the Big 10. Chaos ensued in the beginning or realignment.

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

We don't care. We had to try to influence the Big 12 because the conference was and is run by morons. It will forever be a dead conference that could have been great with even decent leadership. 

Dan Beebe and Bob Bowlsby -- need I say more. What visionaries!

200w.gif?cid=82a1493ba81qfn031q3kwat94x5

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

You guys attribute an amazing array of crap to me. 

There are currently five NCAA athletics conferences headquartered in Dallas. I don’t see why there can’t be six, but I really have no opinion on where the SEC conference offices should be. 

I fear you’ve misinterpreted me and that has caused you to take offense. I wasn’t implying you’ve said that. I simply didn’t think it would be fair to put a limit on the level of deranged, psycho babble you’re capable of reaching. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not gonna be an SEC ass kisser but I will also say this.  What a brilliant fucking hedge move by the powers behind this.  The 12 team CFP has been proposed but it ain't done and there are still a fuckload of details to work out (in fact another angle to discuss is if this really does move fast enough to be in place by the 2022 season there might be a few awkward years where the SEC is huge and there are still just 4 CFP spots). That said this move, in the event of any CFP fuckery, allows the SEC to say "ok well then fuck you then....we are not participating and we will do our own fucking thing."   Hell that's probably the end game anyway.

Talk about leveling up your weaponry for that fight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I fear you’ve misinterpreted me and that has caused you to take offense. I wasn’t implying you’ve said that. I simply didn’t think it would be fair to put a limit on the level of deranged, psycho babble you’re capable of reaching. 

With all due respect . . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not such a shabby deal to be following along on this thread and watching judo and taekwondo in the Olympics. 

As far as aggy is concerned,  they can now be all Conference Corps Pod Country…or whatever now…but there are 8 schools with fans who haven’t even come close to the asshattery that was displayed in the last 72 plus hours.

Not even fucking close. And even if the fans and leadership of those 8 schools even acted 1/10th of that way it would be understandable.

I know most of y’all are like fuck’em but I hope most of the 8 find good homes that will be beneficial to their programs.

judo chop! 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I have posted here for a few years and generally like most of y’all.

But the attitude displayed in this post is exactly why some of us have the impression of UT fans that we do.

“We’re Texas”. Whatever. You’re one of 16 now.

Give it 5 years, once the novelty has worn off, and y’all will bitching about “THE SEC OFFICE IS IN BIRMINGHAM, PAULLLLLLL” and posting conspiracy theories about the Red Elephant Club.

I know you're a basic bitch who has never been in another conference before, but conferences aint some magical thing. The SEC aint shit, we aren't "one of 16," we're rich as fuck. Get fucked, we're Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

I fear you’ve misinterpreted me and that has caused you to take offense. I wasn’t implying you’ve said that. With all due respect - I simply didn’t think it would be fair to put a limit on the level of deranged, psycho babble you’re capable of reaching. 

e0828687d6fd917d46eaea2aabc01a49.jpg

47 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Find a single person on here besides RD who actually thinks the SEC office will move to Dallas or that we will control the SEC. the only people who say stupid shit like that are aggies. 

Hate to break it to you, but there’s already renderings of the new SEC headquarters in the Downtown Projects thread.

18 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Have some good friends in Tennessee. They're convinced that everyone in the nation calls them UT. The world series was a good start to putting them in the dirt. 

And they're the only ones who give a shit about it. It's like The Texas A&M Aggies demanding to be called our biggest rival before they fled. They obsessed about it and could be driven to hilarious hysteria by saying OU was the bigger rival.

Who cares? Just play.

• Hook 'Em 1

SEC HQ is smart, forward thinking, well run, formidable, and not a sock puppet for any single/pair of schools.

Flame bamachick all you want but "one of 14 (or more)" is a real thing and a part of the SEC culture, that is repeatedly spoken out loud in Birmingham and around the conference, and it's how the conference is structured, including financially. Everyone gets an even share, an even voice, and can leave whenever they want

We will not be moving the center of gravity for SEC as much as many of us think we might, or at all.

Nobody questions your clear blue blood history status, or the great value to the SEC by your joining. Unless stupid or Aggy. But your power and influence in your new conference will not be the same as in your former. It just won’t. And that is not intended as an insult.
I think the great majority of horns know and accept this but you get em hopped up on those aggy tears and they can’t help themselves. The shit talking comes out like a rowdy drunk. Take our temperature on a Tuesday afternoon in a couple of weeks. We’ll be sober then.
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

They’ll get Baylor and TCU fa sho

I've been saying the AAC would automatically add TCU since day 1 of this thing. They and Baylor will definitely shop around but an American with TCU and Baylor wouldn't be a bad conference. It would be behind the 4 new "power" conferences but it's best team would almost assuredly make a 12 team playoff.

I don't think D1 football is ready to die quite just yet - if only for another x amount of years - and I think the expanded playoff actually helps this. I see it being floated around that there might be a new top division with 64 teams but that's a little tricky. Just going by recent recruiting rankings on 247, the AAC for 2022 has Cincy at #32 in the country, SMU at #52 and UCF at #60. That isn't including TCU or Baylor. 

For 2021 - Cincy was #44, Memphis was #47, SMU was #51, UCF was #57 and USF was #65. 

I don't really see Wake, Vandy, Kansas, and Rutgers getting to play big boy football while Cincy, UCF and TCU sit from the sidelines and watch. (but of course there could be further realignment)

I think it's more likely we end up with 75-80 teams in a reorganized top flight division of football. 

I'm of course biased here but I'm also not convinced SMU is a top 64 athletics program again yet. However - some of those other schools absolutely are. The back of napkin math gets tricky.

1 hour ago, Cornfusion said:

So...Nebraska REALLY DID have Oklahoma and Texas pegged correctly in 2010, right?  Ten years of faux outrage and butthurt by both institutions duly noted. 

That is all.

So how has that Big Ten affiliation been working out for y'all for the last ten years?

Must be a real shame that you guys haven't recaptured your former glory and knocked Ohio State off its perch yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I posted in the recruiting thread, but yeah, playing a murderers row of teams that went .500 or below last year and some firing its coach of Vandy, Tennessee, USCe, Auburn, Mississippi State, and Arky just scares you to death.

Aggy has been mostly mediocre in two conferences while Texas has been slightly better to mediocre in one.  Hell, Texas even beat them when they were down.  Nevertheless, they're peddling the perception that they're now better in a better conference.  This is an easier sell when they didn't have to play to prove it--now they will.  They're scared.  

Tarp Update via @Longhornfrenzy

Spoiler

SEC update from aggy mod

Saturday afternoon realignment updateVIP

Back To Topics

Tarp
STAFF
Posted on 78 secs, V I P, User Since 89 months ago, User Post Count: 62559
78 secs
VIP
89 months
Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is done barring some extremely unforeseen circumstances involving outside forces beyond anyone's control.

Texas A&M knows this.

The special session of the A&M board of regents on Monday will be informational and on discuss how to best handle everything. The perception has been that the session would might involve discussions with the SEC about the "gentlemen's agreement" regarding the addition of other in-state programs that past and present A&M officials have been referencing in interview situations, particularly as the agenda included terms "litigation" and Southeastern Conference.

However, A&M knows what's coming.

The only issues reportedly left on Texas and Oklahoma's end are the timing of the exit of the two schools from the Big 12 and how much money they'll have to shell out to get out from under the grant of rights with that league as well as any exit penalties. The Big 12 bylaws indicate that a member has to give 18 months notice to vacate the league.

If you're wondering how much did A&M know and when did they know it...this goes going back to Kirk Bohls with the Austin American Statesman's tweeting that A&M was blindsided by everything...that depends on your perspective.

The discussions that occurred involving the move of the Sooners and Horns to the SEC occurred at very high levels in the league much like those when A&M joined in 2011. It's not like these discussions would be advertised to administrators at the individual schools and especially not their athletic departments.

We've been told that individual schools began to find out in July at the latest...maybe as early as June. The SEC itself said on Friday that all schools had been kept updated but that may have been only with individual administrators...maybe as few as one with each institution.

However, A&M's athletic department was not aware of these developments until the story was leaked at the SEC Media Days right before Aggies football boss Jimbo Fisher took the podium.

If anyone found out at A&M's end, it was only at the highest levels of the administration as it would have been anywhere else.

Oklahoma was the first of the two programs to make contact...reportedly in the spring....concerning their situation because their deal for their third tier rights with Bally's expires in 2022. That's a shortfall of $20 million they're looking at. Texas followed along behind.

ESPN and Fox told the Big 12 in late May that there would be no early negotiations regarding their television deals that expire in 2025 and so that probably pushed everything to an even greater sense of urgency in the ensuing weeks.

If you need some more background, I'll refer you to last Wednesday's post in which I discussed the topic for the first time hich I led by noting that the move of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC was very real and why that was so.

At some point, I'll start going more into what this means for the SEC in terms of scheduling (taking the SEC pod challenge) and A&M as a program. That's probably sooner than later at this point

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

And yet much of the negotiating for UT and OU to join the conference was done . . . behind A&M's back.  At a bare minimum, top brass at A&M was instructed to keep it at the board/president level.  Do you really think no other SEC athletic director knew what was going on?
I really think this is possible. ADs are not usually involved in conference membership discussions. It's above their pay grade. President's, chancellors, and CEOs make these calls. ADs are not in the room during discussion or votes. They are not at conference HQ or law firm offices for the sausage making. And the school heads know the athletic departments leak like a damn sieve at every turn. It's possible in individual circumstances a prez trusts his AD, they will confide or ask counsel. Like you said for aggy, I imagine the schools/presidents in both camps were instructed to keep it quiet. Doesn't help anyone to tell a bunch of people prematurely. And if I was aggy brass, I definitely would keep it quiet until I had a plan knowing full well their fan base and boosters will go full aggy. School presidents compartmentalize information every day...part of the job.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I have posted here for a few years and generally like most of y’all.

But the attitude displayed in this post is exactly why some of us have the impression of UT fans that we do.

“We’re Texas”. Whatever. You’re one of 16 now.

Give it 5 years, once the novelty has worn off, and y’all will bitching about “THE SEC OFFICE IS IN BIRMINGHAM, PAULLLLLLL” and posting conspiracy theories about the Red Elephant Club.

Hey fuck nuts....it's PAAWWWWWWLLLLLL

6 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:
And yet much of the negotiating for UT and OU to join the conference was done . . . behind A&M's back.  At a bare minimum, top brass at A&M was instructed to keep it at the board/president level.  Do you really think no other SEC athletic director knew what was going on?

I really think this is possible. ADs are not usually involved in conference membership discussions. It's above their pay grade. 

I quite literally said the same thing days ago, but there is a difference between having input and being apprised of what is happening.  It's just not reasonable to keep huge tidal shifts in a school's athletic landscape blacked out from the AD.  I am supremely confident that most if not all SEC AD's (besides A&M and maybe Mizzou) knew what was happening over the past 7 months.

Tarp Update via [mention=564]Longhornfrenzy[/mention]
Spoiler

SEC update from aggy mod
Saturday afternoon realignment updateVIP

Back To Topics

Tarp
STAFF
Posted on 78 secs, V I P, User Since 89 months ago, User Post Count: 62559
78 secs
VIP
89 months
Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is done barring some extremely unforeseen circumstances involving outside forces beyond anyone's control.

Texas A&M knows this.

The special session of the A&M board of regents on Monday will be informational and on discuss how to best handle everything. The perception has been that the session would might involve discussions with the SEC about the "gentlemen's agreement" regarding the addition of other in-state programs that past and present A&M officials have been referencing in interview situations, particularly as the agenda included terms "litigation" and Southeastern Conference.

However, A&M knows what's coming.

The only issues reportedly left on Texas and Oklahoma's end are the timing of the exit of the two schools from the Big 12 and how much money they'll have to shell out to get out from under the grant of rights with that league as well as any exit penalties. The Big 12 bylaws indicate that a member has to give 18 months notice to vacate the league.

If you're wondering how much did A&M know and when did they know it...this goes going back to Kirk Bohls with the Austin American Statesman's tweeting that A&M was blindsided by everything...that depends on your perspective.

The discussions that occurred involving the move of the Sooners and Horns to the SEC occurred at very high levels in the league much like those when A&M joined in 2011. It's not like these discussions would be advertised to administrators at the individual schools and especially not their athletic departments.

We've been told that individual schools began to find out in July at the latest...maybe as early as June. The SEC itself said on Friday that all schools had been kept updated but that may have been only with individual administrators...maybe as few as one with each institution.

However, A&M's athletic department was not aware of these developments until the story was leaked at the SEC Media Days right before Aggies football boss Jimbo Fisher took the podium.

If anyone found out at A&M's end, it was only at the highest levels of the administration as it would have been anywhere else.

Oklahoma was the first of the two programs to make contact...reportedly in the spring....concerning their situation because their deal for their third tier rights with Bally's expires in 2022. That's a shortfall of $20 million they're looking at. Texas followed along behind.

ESPN and Fox told the Big 12 in late May that there would be no early negotiations regarding their television deals that expire in 2025 and so that probably pushed everything to an even greater sense of urgency in the ensuing weeks.

If you need some more background, I'll refer you to last Wednesday's post in which I discussed the topic for the first time hich I led by noting that the move of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC was very real and why that was so.

At some point, I'll start going more into what this means for the SEC in terms of scheduling (taking the SEC pod challenge) and A&M as a program. That's probably sooner than later at this point

Was expecting to see pics of seats in Baylor stadium being re-tarped.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

They are the 40-year-old dude drinking up their paycheck at the strip club because the girls are their "friends."

This is too funny. I'm just renting a room right now because a lease agreement doesn't make sense for me and this describes the guy that owns the place to a T. He's nice enough but he's... strange...

Does a lot of whippets.

• Drool 1

How did the A&M brass not have talking points ready to hand to everyone in the Athletic Department the moment this leaked? You can't let those freaks outside the house without a leash!!!

Sharp should've been on the phone to the AD and Fisher and Liucci 20 seconds after the leak giving them the talking points

1 hour ago, DCLonghorn said:

I once overheard a blue-blood SEC president gently rib Slive about this exact point. Slive even more gently shot that right down. It was a sight to behold.

This little anecdote should serve as fair warning that our apparent new home is very different that our current and past homes. SEC HQ is smart, forward thinking, well run, formidable, and not a sock puppet for any single/pair of schools.

Flame bamachick all you want but "one of 14 (or more)" is a real thing and a part of the SEC culture, that is repeatedly spoken out loud in Birmingham and around the conference, and it's how the conference is structured, including financially. Everyone gets an even share, an even voice, and can leave whenever they want (paraphrase from a Slive quote back in the day). Sanke is the hand picked successor and was his deputy for years, so consistent leadership for decades. There is a reason that a regional conference that was one of many has become the best in the land aligned with the biggest broadcaster in the space.

Put another way, imagine what it takes to keep the current schools in the SEC in line, off each other's throats, out of the NCAA sights (better than in the past), and keep that money tree growing...it ain't with a soft commissioner doing the bidding of one or two.

Hopefully UT leadership will be smarter and more gracious than message board fans. They usually are. Which is why this move makes some sense.

As far as (probably jokes) about SEC HQ in Dallas. ATL made a real run at getting the SEC to move and made a whole hell of a lot of sense. HQ still in Birmingham.

We will not be moving the center of gravity for SEC as much as many of us think we might, or at all.

P.S. The post comes as close as I will ever get to the SEC chant. Despite the above, I find that kind of weird.
P.P.S. I have very small dated insight that makes the above read like I'm all for this move...even after days of this sinking in, it's still not my first or second choice. But if we do go to the SEC, it's a damn well run conference.

You are correct that the SEC is a very well-run league, probably the best of all right now, but you are wrong if you don’t think Alabama is the first among equals. The league offices are in their back yard, the de facto voice of the league (Finebaum) rose up in their market (even though he’s a Tennessee grad), and they generally get every benefit from the schedules to the calls on the field. Most non-aggy fans in the SEC understand that. It should recede somewhat when Saban retires, but this goes back to when it was a much more regional league and Bama was the only consistent national power. 

• Hook 'Em 1