recycling: yay or nay?

52-80

what's your personal stance and practice?

never gave half a flying fuck for all of my life.  however the house we bought had a composting setup, so I recently took that on and I really like the idea of repurposing the organic trash.

it's winter, so paper trash gets collected to use as kindling/starter for the chimney.

so naturally, we keep plastics and glass to dispose in the community recycling bin.

and finally, when the previous owner (also a friend) asked us to dispose of his electronic trash, we started adding our electronics to that pile, too.

So basically, now we are full on recyclers, but not out of any conviction, but simply just because.

Recycling used to piss me off at my house because the city gave us very small totes (as in 24" long x 15" wide x 15" deep) and had us put our weekly recycling in that and set it by the curb each week.  These totes were like 10 gallons and they wanted you to separate the stuff in it.  My wife recycled so much stuff that it would always get backed up and end up as a pile of never ending trash in the corner of our garage until I would get pissed at looking at it and throw it all in the regular trash bin.  Of course then it an argument would ensue with my wife about that.  Last summer our city finally gave us rolling 96 gallon designated recycle bins.  You can just dump all recyclables in there without having to separate things.  Life is much better now.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

If I had confidence that the plastics and papers I save for the recycle bins were actually recycled, I'd participate more. But my confidence level is at 5% and therefore I do not.

Was in the Seguin HEB parking lot waiting on my Mom’s 16th trip there that weekend. Don’t get me started. And I know...I was surprised they were open as well...!

Amyway...employee is going around emptying the trash cans from the parking lot into a larger bin he’s rolling. Then he empties the ones around the entry. Then he empties all the bags from the recycling drop into his same trash bin and goes wandering around the building to the dumpsters. 

Totally pissed all over my hope for humanity...three days before goddam Christmas. 

Another funny yet sad note. Our office has trash cans and blue recycle bins in everyone’s office. Stayed late one night working saw lady empty both trash and recycle into same large trash bin. 

I've heard this happens at my office as well.

I'm not a crazy recycler, but I do put forth some effort. I also try not to produce unnecessary waste from completely idiotic things like bottled water. In general I am disgusted enough by our culture of consumerism to make me at least think before I buy/trash something. Does it make any difference in the grand scheme of things? Nope.

Of course I also went with a 6.2L V8 engine in my car this go around because I know the end may be near for them. I've always wanted one and have to rest of my life to drive a souless electric vehicle. So maybe that negates everything I just said.

Our city makes it very easy to recycle and compost. Weekly curbside pickup in big bins, no sorting required, and they recycle just about everything. I'm not sure how much is actually recycled and composted, but it's so easy that it would be dumb not to do it. I'd do it anyway because of conviction, but when a city makes it this easy there's really no reason not to. We rarely put our regular trash bin out on the curb.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sad that there is the desire for recycling but really there is little demand for the end product.  More effort might need to be placed on the reduce and reuse tag lines.

Recycling became a thing in the 90s. It’s still in its infancy. Culturally and technologically. It will be better in 50 years. 

Started recycling when I met my wife.  She's really big on it.  I never really cared but I've really come around to it.  We have two trash cans built in our kitchen cabinets now.  Takes minimal effort to recycle.  When we used to live in our old complex, I'd have to drive my car full of trash to the nearest recycling dumpster at a nearby neighborhood.   Texas is much further behind as far as recycling goes.  I hope people here make a bigger effort.  

My town only takes #1 and #2 plastic, corrugated cardboard, tin, aluminum, metal, newspaper, and “office” paper. They don’t accept glass..wtf? It’s comforting to know it all probably ends up in the landfill. 

Regarding that CBS News video, we are always told that plastic shopping bags last for centuries before they break down. Anyone who has left something outside in one of those bags for a few months and tries to pick up that bag realizes it is already disintegrating. I know a lot of plastics last a hell of a long time, just not shopping bags. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

At my office a few years ago they decided to save on labor costs and eliminate trash/recycle bins at each cubical. You were supposed to walk stuff to the end of the row and dump it directly into the bins there.

Well that’s nice except my floor is half tech support lifers who probably average 35 years old and

1) Are tied to a phone most of the day
2) Eat a prodigious amount of shit food at their desks
3) Are, as a general rule, awkward antisocial types and various flavors of bronies
4) Unilaterally opposed to unnecessary movement

The floor as a whole became a demented Stonehenge of fast food bags, snack wrappers and to go containers from the cafeteria. It smelled like feet, ass and Fritos just walking by on my way out.

Make it easy for people to do the right thing and they tend to do just that.

We throw all of the recyclables in our city provided recycle bin, but I am pretty sure it all just ends up at the dump regardless.  There are a lot of rules as far as what is recyclable.  Only certain plastics and everything needs to be clean (no food waste).  I feel I do a good job at following the rules, but I know plenty of people don't because most people suck.  That's why I assume it all ends up at the dump as it would take a lot of work just sorting of all the non recyclable shit people put in their bins.

Watched a news story the other day, may have been on Vice, about plastic recycling. It's mostly a feel good scam. The bulk of it was being shipped to China and was presumed to actually wind up in landfills. China stopped accepting any more material a few months ago and now it's winding up in Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia where it's definitely going into landfills.

1 minute ago, RPM said:

Watched a news story the other day, may have been on Vice, about plastic recycling. It's mostly a feel good scam. The bulk of it was being shipped to China and was presumed to actually wind up in landfills. China stopped accepting any more material a few months ago and now it's winding up in Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia where it's definitely going into landfills.

We will be sending it to the moon or mars soon. 

How many of you have curbside recycling that takes glass? I used to in the previous city I lived in but they stopped it and the new place I live won't take it curbside either. I'm guessing it's just not cost efficient to recycle glass now, I'm guessing it's not a sorting issue.

I am a pretty fanatical reduce / reuse / recycle person. However, I also agree that most of it likely does not good but feeds the emotional outrage of the masses. But I still do it even if it all ends up in the landfill and try to beat it into my kids.

When we lived in ATX, my wife and I and two kids were able to reduce our trash from using the largest waste container the COA offered to the smallest.  Every two weeks our recycling bin was full and we were able to compost plenty. 

I felt good about it.  but then id see my neighbors who wouldn't use their recycling bin at all.  It would piss me off.

We still recycle religiously and if we had a bigger place we would compost because we waste way too much food, unfortunately.

I try not to think about the people who don't care about the environment and focus on the stories of those people who do.  

On 12/26/2018 at 6:33 PM, 52-80 said:

what's your personal stance and practice?

never gave half a flying fuck for all of my life.  however the house we bought had a composting setup, so I recently took that on and I really like the idea of repurposing the organic trash.

it's winter, so paper trash gets collected to use as kindling/starter for the chimney.

so naturally, we keep plastics and glass to dispose in the community recycling bin.

and finally, when the previous owner (also a friend) asked us to dispose of his electronic trash, we started adding our electronics to that pile, too.

So basically, now we are full on recyclers, but not out of any conviction, but simply just because.

somebody give this man a fucking cookie

Shit. Recycling pickup is every other week, and I’m pretty religious about sorting our recycling to make sure the wife/kids haven’t thrown in anything that shouldn’t be there, but my blue can is full in less than a week. All cardboard gets broken down, bundled, and set out by the can. Recently got the green compost can, but I rarely get it more than half full since I have a giant compost pile in my yard so I really only put food waste in the bin.

Austin makes it easy.  My recycle bin is 3 times larger than my trash can and gets filled up.  Single stream, not sorting, roll it to the curb every other week.  I even get a text update reminding me if it's a recycling pick-up week or not.  I can't imagine not recycling.  

I probably should compost but I don't.  I hardly ever cook food at home, almost never have food to throw out, and I don't do any gardening.  A compost bin would take me months to fill up.  Still, I probably should.

On 12/27/2018 at 1:16 AM, elfenix said:

pet peeve: boss likes to toss non-recyclables into the boxes we use for paper recycling (i dump those things into a recycling dumpster myself - building doesn't offer recycling).  always on him about greasy paper, plastic film, and receipts. 

Receipts should always be recycled if you have an expense account.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:41 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

My town only takes #1 and #2 plastic, corrugated cardboard, tin, aluminum, metal, newspaper, and “office” paper. They don’t accept glass..wtf? It’s comforting to know it all probably ends up in the landfill. 

Regarding that CBS News video, we are always told that plastic shopping bags last for centuries before they break down. Anyone who has left something outside in one of those bags for a few months and tries to pick up that bag realizes it is already disintegrating. I know a lot of plastics last a hell of a long time, just not shopping bags. 

The explanation I heard about glass and it applies to many entities who have the single stream thing going is that if some of it breaks while in transport to the sort facility, it can contaminate the paper stuff with pieces of glass and render it useless which mean it will be sent to the landfill.   We have the singe stream system going here and the city has specific "glass recycling days" where they haul trash haulers to Wal Mart or HEB parking lots.

Really I'd like to see more of our state and local governments begin to aggressively find uses for used glass and plastic such as materials for road base like they are doing in India for example. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/02/world/macrebur-plastic-roads/index.html

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The explanation I heard about glass and it applies to many entities who have the single stream thing going is that if some of it breaks while in transport to the sort facility, it can contaminate the paper stuff with pieces of glass and render it useless which mean it will be sent to the landfill.   We have the singe stream system going here and the city has specific "glass recycling days" where they haul trash haulers to Wal Mart or HEB parking lots.

Really I'd like to see more of our state and local governments begin to aggressively find uses for used glass and plastic such as materials for road base like they are doing in India for example. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/02/world/macrebur-plastic-roads/index.html

If by “single stream” you mean not sorted, that isn’t our situation. The city is just doing it to irritate me. 

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If by “single stream” you mean not sorted, that isn’t our situation. The city is just doing it to irritate me. 

Yes.  Where you throw everything in it's own cart and the city or their contractor picks it up in the same type of truck they pick up the real trash.    

It does seem suspicious when recycling companies can’t say whether the plastic is truly being recycled once they ship it somewhere else.  Tells me that probably know the truth but their company is being paid to ship it to make US residents feel good about themselves.   

Im tempted to start putting plastic back into the regular trash bin.   Otherwise it’s a waste of taxpayer dollar to place it in the recycle bin.

overall I wish there was a push to eliminate plastic where possible.   We don’t even fully understand the long term impact. 

We’ve been recycling since the late 80s, but two of my daughters have suddenly become experts on the ecology of recycling.

For instance, on our last trip to the grocery store, we forgot to bring our reusable bags. My vegan daughter expressed her disappointment, so I took an empty 3 quart jug of her almond milk and weighed it on our kitchen scale. It was 117 grams. Then I weighed all 15 of the plastic grocery bags, and it came to 84 grams. Knowing that much of the plastic never gets recycled, her disappointment turned to temporary disillusionment. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

I think recycling is a very good thing, but for the most part it is done ineffectively and even counter-productive. Especially if it's performed by any type of governement.

Those recycling collection trucks lose about half the stuff they pick up while loading and hauling. I followed one of those trucks one day and it was just flinging crap all over the neighborhood for miles. And that's after half the stuff that's put out on the curb in the cans has been blown out by winds. And all that time a shitload of fumes is being belched out by those bigass trucks hauling it all over town. It's basically just redistribution of trash. At least the bagged up garbage ends up mostly in the dump. Not so much for recycle pickups.

• Like 1