Romo wants $10M per year

smwhorn

Interesting. I had no idea announcers made that much money.

What's his leverage?  He's pretty good as a commentator but how many wins above replacement does the greatest commentator in history give you?  My guess is not many.  Would you stop watching if he wasn't on there?  Nope.  Would you watch a game you otherwise wouldn't, or watch a different game, just to hear him?  Doubtful.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I guess I am in the minority but I just don't get any enjoyment or displeasure based on who is broadcasting.  As long as I can understand them it really makes no difference to me.

reading internet sports boards for over 20 years and I don't understand why people get so upset with the announcer's style, voice, presentation etc. Just watch the damn game.  99% of the time i have no idea who is announcing and don't care.  Besides, the crowd noise overwhelms the speaker. 

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

reading internet sports boards for over 20 years and I don't understand why people get so upset with the announcer's style, voice, presentation etc. Just watch the damn game.  99% of the time i have no idea who is announcing and don't care.  Besides, the crowd noise overwhelms the speaker. 

Honestly I had no idea that Phil Simms was a horrible announcer until the internet told me.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I guess I am in the minority but I just don't get any enjoyment or displeasure based on who is broadcasting.  As long as I can understand them it really makes no difference to me.

Yeah, but you must be mature, intelligent and have the uncanny ability to think for yourself.

That’s inconsistent with the brainwash Americans desire these days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

ESPN was paying Jon Gruden $6.5M for Monday Night Football before he left for the Raiders.  Don't know if he was the highest-paid at the time.

Madden made $8MM / year at his peak with CBS.  Crazy money given how long ago that was.  Speaks to his popularity at the time. 

You people who say it doesn't matter must never have watched a Herbie game.

Herbie is a dipshit but is mostly white noise, and he isn’t horrible.

PapadolousiakisazabadkeannssakekkdUSCisthegreatestahdcnaskeddmds has an irritating voice that takes longer to fade into background noise.

Romo is good. I hope they keep him.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

ESPN was paying Jon Gruden $6.5M for Monday Night Football before he left for the Raiders.  Don't know if he was the highest-paid at the time.

39 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Madden made $8MM / year at his peak with CBS.  Crazy money given how long ago that was.  Speaks to his popularity at the time. 

yeah madden’s salary 20 years ago would still be the highest even today.  nuts. 

32 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

He'll probably get it.  I think he is pretty entertaining to listen to even beyond his calling plays palor trick. 

he will absolutely get it. 

38 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, but Madden was the rare personality that people actually tuned in to hear.  He was like Harry Carey.  Never mind that Vin Scully and Jack Buck were far better than Carey as announcers, certain guys just have "it".

What I heard of Romo was super impressive.  I really like having a guy with not only that experience but the ability to distill it down for me commenting on the game.  It made a big difference.  I'd say he's worth it.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Do I tune out of games I’d otherwise watch if he’s not doing the game?  No. 

Do I tune into games that I’d not watch with Phil Simms and stay with them because of Romo?  Absolutely. 

If I have a choice to watch an Eagles game on Fox, or a Patriots game on CBS, I’m choosing the latter every time (unless Eagles are playing Boys). 

Romo is excellent, and is a bigger draw than Madden ever was. He will and should get paid. 

good lord, Romo's a bigger draw than Madden ever was? When do the Romo video games come out?

• Like 3

Question I have is where is Romo gonna go if CBS tells him to go pound sand. Is Fox gonna demote Aikman? I doubt it. Will NBC get rid of Collinsworth to bring on Romo? Maybe? MNF doesn't get top draw anymore, so that's not as high profile of a gig as it used to be. He's worth a lot, but unless NBC is ready to cut CC, I don't know how much leverage he has.  

21 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Question I have is where is Romo gonna go if CBS tells him to go pound sand. Is Fox gonna demote Aikman? I doubt it. Will NBC get rid of Collinsworth to bring on Romo? Maybe? MNF doesn't get top draw anymore, so that's not as high profile of a gig as it used to be. He's worth a lot, but unless NBC is ready to cut CC, I don't know how much leverage he has.  

That may be part of Romo's leverage.  He can tell ABC/ESPN - "listen, nobody watches MNF.  you've got Tessitore and Booger.  maybe you'll get Peyton Manning.  but pay me $10 mil a year and you'll get an instant boost in ratings because people will watch to see and hear me."  hell, i'd be more of a regular MNF watcher if Romo was there.

I think CBS will give Romo $10 mil a year.  But don't be surprised if they ask him to do some other things besides football, like do some work at golf tournaments on CBS.  hell, i think Tony would love to do that.

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

That may be part of Romo's leverage.  He can tell ABC/ESPN - "listen, nobody watches MNF.  you've got Tessitore and Booger.  maybe you'll get Peyton Manning.  but pay me $10 mil a year and you'll get an instant boost in ratings because people will watch to see and hear me."  hell, i'd be more of a regular MNF watcher if Romo was there.

I think CBS will give Romo $10 mil a year.  But don't be surprised if they ask him to do some other things besides football, like do some work at golf tournaments on CBS.  hell, i think Tony would love to do that.

Since they moved the flex game of the week to Sunday nights, MNF has generally sucked. That's why people don't watch. It's not really that Tessitore and Booger are bad. So if Tony goes to MNF to call those shitty games, and the audience doesn't follow him and he doesn't improve ratings, then it's statistical evidence supporting the argument against his worth, and the overall worth of announcers in general. I don't think he's that stupid to take the job. It's a lose/lose. 

I think Tony would be happy to do more shit for CBS. I think he'd be a great golf guy as well. 

19 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

This is exactly what will happen, and exactly what I said would happen over time when the Romo announcement happened on TOS.  Romo will make the big bucks, and he'll do a certain # of golf events per year in addition to football duties.  It'll actually work nicely with him getting the occasional sponsor's exemption to play.  

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I am right there with you. I very rarely care. Now I do notice some god awful broadcasters on the radio like Brad Sham who has no clue what is happening half the time, therefore I have no clue what is happening. But TV? Who cares. I see what is happening.

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

I am right there with you. I very rarely care. Now I do notice some god awful broadcasters on the radio like Brad Sham who has no clue what is happening half the time, therefore I have no clue what is happening. But TV? Who cares. I see what is happening.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Absolutely yes he is. I presume Romo will have some video game equivalent in his 10th year of broadcasting. I wonder if Madden played if the Pebble Beach Pro-Am or PGA event in his first year of broadcasting. No?

what the fuck are you babbling about? What fucking retard watches a NFL game because Romo plays golf?