Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

I like to have breakfast twice whenever I can. When I get up I'm ready for coffee but not on a empty stomach, so something easy like cereal, oatmeal, toast with jam etc. Couple hours later is when the real breakfast urge hits and it's a lot of the stuff already mentioned along with one of my favorites huevous montulenos.  Maybe the second breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

It's been 35+ years, but mine has to be my grandmother's homemade biscuits, dark gravy, sausage, and dirty eggs.  

Grandmas make the best.   My grandma made some incredible pancakes on a cast iron pan because she Threw in an occasional fried  egg.  Bacon mingled with the syrup.  And my first exposure to coffee cocoa.  Plain coffee and mix in some instant cocoa.  This was on a farm, so sometimes the eggs were fresh.   Wow!

On Saturday - Snow's BBQ

Rest of the week - Coffee and a few times a year, breakfast tacos with eggs, bacon or sausage, cheese and salsa on corn tortillas. Beans not necessary but optional.

Even more rarely, bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Edited by DoobieWah

9 hours ago, Mr.Hovis said:

I like to have breakfast twice whenever I can. When I get up I'm ready for coffee but not on a empty stomach, so something easy like cereal, oatmeal, toast with jam etc. Couple hours later is when the real breakfast urge hits and it's a lot of the stuff already mentioned along with one of my favorites huevous montulenos.  Maybe the second breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Image result for second breakfast gif

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

abc-124-610x343.png

Was about to post this before I saw your post. These tortillas are delicious and keep for quite a while.  They aren't quite as good as the fresh HEB tortillas (if they are open), but they are still pretty damn good. 

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Was about to post this before I saw your post. These tortillas are delicious and keep for quite a while.  They aren't quite as good as the fresh HEB tortillas (if they are open), but they are still pretty damn good. 

i've never gotten a good made in store HEB tortilla.  it doesn't matter what i tried - opening the bag in the store so that they don't steam themselves to mush, popping them on the cast iron once i get home, etc.  it just didn't work. 

31 minutes ago, TornACL said:

^ I'm a real sucker for any place that does the eggs benedict but replace the ham with a crab cake. 

Town's End in SF comes to mind. Spicy bloody mary, and crab benedict is the shizzzzzz. 

Keep the ham and replace the English muffin with the crab cake.

7 hours ago, Viking said:

Team Breakfast Taco.

I'm also a total snob when it comes to flour tortillas. All of the brands in the grocery store in the bread aisle are fucking gross and should be outlawed.

If you don't have an HEB nearby, and they don't have the ones in raw tortillas available, and you HAVE to buy the ones by the bread aisle, these are your best option. 

Image result for guerrero tortillas

• Like 1

Just can’t get over the biscuit hate.  I mean, besides B&G, there’s biscuits, butter and jam(jelly), biscuits, butter and molasses, biscuit breakfast sandwiches.  Sometimes I substitute biscuits in place of toast for SOS or Chipped beef, chicken n biscuit is also very good. 

On 5/19/2019 at 7:36 PM, Sbbruin said:

Breakfast burritos >>>> breakfast tacos  (*ducks).  Had a tasty huevos con chorizo burrito this morning and it was delicious.

That's some straight up California bullshit. Keep your breakfast burritos over on the West coast. I don't want to unwrap a burrito to add salsa or hot sauce.

33 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

If you don't have an HEB nearby, and they don't have the ones in raw tortillas available, and you HAVE to buy the ones by the bread aisle, these are your best option. 

Yep.  These are my go to tortilla.   Use a cast iron skillet to warm and they are good to go.

59 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Every Mexican grocery store in the state sells raw tortillas.  They’re usually back where they make tacos and hot plates.  There are Mexican grocery stores in damn near every town except small East Texas towns.  

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Every Mexican grocery store in the state sells raw tortillas.  They’re usually back where they make tacos and hot plates.  There are Mexican grocery stores in damn near every town except small East Texas towns.  

I'm not disputing that the raw ones are superior. But there are times when you just have to go with the pre-made shit. Like if you are camping and have to cook fajitas over a campfire for 4 families. I'm not cooking up two dozen raw tortillas on a single skillet over a Coleman propane burner because they're marginally better than the pre-made one. And if that's the economic and expeditious route I have to go, I'm going with Guerrero because they're better than all the other ones, which are admittedly inferior to the raw tortillas or the fresh ones from HEB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F250 said:

That's some straight up California bullshit. Keep your breakfast burritos over on the West coast. I don't want to unwrap a burrito to add salsa or hot sauce.

But I just add salsa and hot sauce to each individual bite 

All of it is the only appropriate answer.

For you lazy bastards using pancake mix, make your own. It’s not difficult and they are far superior. 

If I have to choose, it’s a toss up between tacos made with crumbled sausage, eggs, shredded cheese, avocados, and Cholula or broken up fresh biscuits, eggs, crumbled sausage, and tomato gravy.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

But I just add salsa and hot sauce to each individual bite 

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Well, until I've chewed a good opening, then I squeeze it open like looking for the prize in a cereal box and load it up.

But it's so much easier to just open the taco and add the hot sauce before you eat. The burrito is too cumbersome.

Chilaquiles with salsa verde and a runny egg on top is probably my favorite breakfast of all time. Finding an acceptable one is easy. Finding a great one is damn near impossible. Hugo’s does a very good one. Best I ever had was on my honeymoon at the Grand Velas in riviera maya

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:25 PM, Mr.Hovis said:

Fucking hobbit...

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Cold pizza, next topic.

C'mon, I've now seen this two (or more?) times.

Don't get me wrong, I will eat a couple of slices of cold pizza for breakfast and think it's juuuuuuuust fine. Overall, pizza is perhaps my favorite food. But when the topic is "best breakfast food", you're saying that you'd pick leftover, cold pizza over everything else? 

Just now, SurlyORama said:

C'mon, I've now seen this two (or more?) times.

Don't get me wrong, I will eat a couple of slices of cold pizza for breakfast and think it's juuuuuuuust fine. Overall, pizza is perhaps my favorite food. But when the topic is "best breakfast food", you're saying that you'd pick leftover, cold pizza over everything else? 

Well truth be told it's more the best breakfast food if you have a hangover, that and it's grab, and go, no waiting for cook time.  However, there was an old supermarket chain aroud here that made breakfast pizza.  It was fucking amazing.  Doughy crust, sharp cheddar cheese, and eggs, bacon, sausage.........

My all time favorite breakfast food is bacon infused waffles. Bacon cooked in the waffle iron then ladle in the batter and continue cooking. Serve with butter, syrup and peanut butter.  Gonna make those this weekend at the beach.