NSIAP: Amazon HQ2, more jobs and traffic jams

Grippe

fuck amazon. so much cheap/fake shit and the rankings/reviews are ridiculously misleading. there's also an entire market devoted to gaming the amazon system. unless you know exactly what you want and you've received it from the same seller before, it's a huge gamble to see what actually shows up at your doorstep.

watch out when they acquire someone like target. it's only going to get worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The University said:

unless you know exactly what you want and you've received it from the same seller before, it's a huge gamble to see what actually shows up at your doorstep.

I am not sure what you are ordering but we get 100s of things form amazon a year and I cannot think of a single time we did not get exactly what we ordered. 

• Like 1

fuck amazon. so much cheap/fake shit and the rankings/reviews are ridiculously misleading. there's also an entire market devoted to gaming the amazon system. unless you know exactly what you want and you've received it from the same seller before, it's a huge gamble to see what actually shows up at your doorstep.
watch out when they acquire someone like target. it's only going to get worse.
Man. I haven't gotten off the couch to purchase something in years. Love me some Prime. Bought 2 things yesterday.

10 hours ago, The University said:

...... unless you know exactly what you want and you've received it from the same seller before, it's a huge gamble to see what actually shows up at your doorstep.

Agreed! We bought an outfit for our grandson for Christmas. The page on Amazon looked good. Then I went to check the tracking and when it would arrive. It's from China. Not just made in China but being shipped direct from China. ETA is by January 17!!!! It is being shipped via "China Post", the equivalent of the USPS. We've bought something else and when (if) it ever arrives I will ship it right back to China and get the refund.  

Agreed! We bought an outfit for our grandson for Christmas. The page on Amazon looked good. Then I went to check the tracking and when it would arrive. It's from China. Not just made in China but being shipped direct from China. ETA is by January 17!!!! It is being shipped via "China Post", the equivalent of the USPS. We've bought something else and when (if) it ever arrives I will ship it right back to China and get the refund.  

A lot of the non-brand name clothing is made on demand in a Chinese sweatshop and shipped direct. The clothing manufacturers realized they could cut out the middle man (US stores) by doing this. It takes a month to arrive but it’s the exact item you’d buy here but at less than half the cost.

We’ve bought a ton of kids clothes that have shipped direct from China and the quality has been top notch.

• 1 month later...

Amazon HQ talk not going away.

From Twitter:

Amazon is reconsidering its New York City headquarters due to local opposition, The Washington Post reports

Technology  10 minutes ago
Amazon is reconsidering building a headquarters in the Queens neighborhood of Long Island City due to community and political pushback, The Washington Post reported on Friday. The tech giant announced back in November that it intended to build two new facilities in New York and northern Virginia.

So HQ2 in Texas might be back on the menu, boys.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Amazon HQ talk not going away.

From Twitter:

Amazon is reconsidering its New York City headquarters due to local opposition, The Washington Post reports

Technology  10 minutes ago
Amazon is reconsidering building a headquarters in the Queens neighborhood of Long Island City due to community and political pushback, The Washington Post reported on Friday. The tech giant announced back in November that it intended to build two new facilities in New York and northern Virginia.

So HQ2 in Texas might be back on the menu, boys.

Has this all been elaborate marketing for the rollout?

NCpoXaDKunVN7LZnB80oyw7bf-UA4O8kcTKge76p

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Has this all been elaborate marketing for the rollout?

NCpoXaDKunVN7LZnB80oyw7bf-UA4O8kcTKge76p

1. That's great, never seen it. 

2. I have to think Dallas would be the default fallback - since Apple already made their move on Austin. Guess I'll go update my resume. 

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

1. That's great, never seen it. 

2. I have to think Dallas would be the default fallback - since Apple already made their move on Austin. Guess I'll go update my resume. 

Or just a negotiation strategy with NYC. 

I assume if they pull out (pun intended) the jobs would go to DC/VA area.

If Amazon is as progressive as they claim to be, they should take the jobs and investment to a city with a struggling economy. 

Like Detroit.

Revitalize an area instead of exacerbating the inequality of one. 

Plenty of cheap housing too. Think of the construction boom for tear downs (think wast Austin) and new coffee bars. 

Redistribute the jobs to create affordable housing. Amazon does not need any physical resources (nor tax resources) from NY they could not find in Detroit. 

Savings in land value and property taxes would be substantial (if they actually have to pay the going rate). 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 6

Then how about Oakland or Baltimore?   A union town should recognize when it is fucking dead.  It should quit pretending to being woke by urban revitalization and P3 projects and EB-5 shit and just lay down and fucking die already.  Sorry your compulsory union dues didn’t reboot your industry, let your shithole die already and move on.  

So Dallas gets to lift its skirt again. Probably even moreso now. Free land, and may as well just include having the taxpayers pay the salaries directly. Why should Amazon have to pay anything when cities are just falling over themselves to make it as cheap as possible for them to do business. 

As someone that lives close to the Arlington HQ2 plans, I welcome our Amazon overlords.

As for the NYC deal, I can understand why they were unhappy, New York promised them a hell-of a lot more free cash than Virginia.  At least most of the Virginia offerings were infrastructure improvements that they were going to do anyway and a new University campus that should benefit the area even without Amazon.

4 minutes ago, midtown said:

Nope...They will not look for an alternate site.

I interpreted that as they were not going to start over, but Dallas was supposedly 3rd on the list, so I could see them going back to them. If not, Dallas officials are surely on the phone now offering whatever they want. "We'll get the taxpayers to pay all your shipping costs for the next ad infinitum years. No real estate taxes ever! All of your employees can be exempt from car registration fees!  Hell, we'll just get the taxpayers will buy each of your 25,000 employees a brand new Lexus!  Please daddy, please, please, please!!!"

Edited by 'stache

43 minutes ago, 'stache said:

"We'll get the taxpayers to pay all your shipping costs for the next ad infinitum years. No real estate taxes ever! All of your employees can be exempt from car registration fees!  Hell, we'll just get the taxpayers will buy each of your 25,000 employees a brand new Lexus!  Please daddy, please, please, please!!!"

Yeah, this isn't how Dallas works. But nice take.

Also, I would bet money Bezos owns property in DFW regardless of where he spends his time or "lives". 

On 2/8/2019 at 8:11 PM, Lobo said:

Then how about Oakland or Baltimore?

Coming soon to Amazon: Prime Now Heroin!

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Amazon to NYC..>Drop dead

lol, yup.  Guess Jeff can cry a little less into his divorce beer now.

But they did just that, fuck you NYC/Long Island.  We ain't Pep Boys or something. Kiss 30,000 jobs bye-bye.

Edited by phdhorn

28 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

But they did just that, fuck you NYC/Long Island.  We ain't Pep Boys or something. Kiss 30,000 jobs bye-bye.

NYC can handle it. NYC doesn't need amazon and they'd have destroyed my neighborhood. Fuck amazon.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The news that NY was bleeding cash and it was getting worse probably made the pressure to reduce the benefits package so great that Cuomo and his team had to ask for some of it back from amazon. The company having much larger issues to deal with (like running the business in general) would rather scrap the whole deal than spend 2 years trying to cut through the bureaucracy. I saw this a lot when I was working tenant rep in commercial real estate. Get major concessions out of state, have some concessions in the home state, new site gets worried, pull out saving money and time on the expenses and business interruption, still get local benefits at your current site. Oldest trick in the book and it worked nearly every time if you were moving 50 employees/job or more. Shit, even moving from one local municipality to another with 15 jobs would kill withholding tax for 5-10 years. 

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

The news that NY was bleeding cash and it was getting worse probably made the pressure to reduce the benefits package so great that Cuomo and his team had to ask for some of it back from amazon. The company having much larger issues to deal with (like running the business in general) would rather scrap the whole deal than spend 2 years trying to cut through the bureaucracy. I saw this a lot when I was working tenant rep in commercial real estate. Get major concessions out of state, have some concessions in the home state, new site gets worried, pull out saving money and time on the expenses and business interruption, still get local benefits at your current site. Oldest trick in the book and it worked nearly every time if you were moving 50 employees/job or more. Shit, even moving from one local municipality to another with 15 jobs would kill withholding tax for 5-10 years. 

It wasnt a cash payment. It was tax credits. Wouldnt have come up for years and even then it would be offset. 

They are likely to just grow their Manhattan presence instead, so the only loser, I guess, would be Queens. Although LIC is already an expensive and booming neighborhood before the Amazon deal. They weren't revitalizing anything. They were going to build right next to buildings with $3500 studio apartments.  There is no other place with the labor pool they are looking for. Seattle is tapped out which is why HQ2 was a thing in the first place. But the HQ2 thing was a charade anyway. It was always going to be 2nd fiddle.