Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Serious question, are either Bama or Georgia getting production out of their TE's like we are this year? I know USC was already discussed a bit above.

Brock Bowers is pretty ridiculous for Georgia. Best TE in college football. Even has 3 rushing TDs this season.

Receiving    Rushing    Scrimmage
Year    School    Conf    Class    Pos    G    Rec    Yds    Avg    TD    Att    Yds    Avg    TD    Plays    Yds    Avg    TD
2022    Georgia    SEC    SO    TE    6    22    378    17.2    2    3    82    27.3    3    25    460    18.4    5

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Brock Bowers is pretty ridiculous for Georgia. Best TE in college football. Even has 3 rushing TDs this season.

Year    School    Conf    Class    Pos    G    Rec    Yds    Avg    TD    Att    Yds    Avg    TD    Plays    Yds    Avg    TD
2022    Georgia    SEC    SO    TE    6    22    378    17.2    2    3    82    27.3    3    25    460    18.4    5

Darnell Washington is going in the top 2 rounds of the draft next spring as well. The freshman Delp is going to be quite good, and Arik Gilbert is floating around the periphery of the program if he can ever get his head screwed on straight.

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Brock Bowers
6    22    378    17.2    2    3    82    27.3    3    25    460    18.4    5
J'Tavion Sanders
6    25    283    11.3    5    0    0        0       0    25    283    11.3    5

Take away the rushing yards, and JT is very close to Bowers.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I haven't watched them at all this year, so legitimately, thank you for the information.

they had 3 dudes on the John Mackey award list including probably the best TE in CFB in Brock Bowers. Washington is a monster. Gilbert is an incredible talent.

• Hook 'Em 3

The deal with Vasek is that Texas didn’t prioritize him early, made a few mistakes on how one of the recruiting coaches talked with him, and as a result he soured on the program. Texas has been trying to work their way back from those mistakes. Until Saturday I didn’t think the odds looked very good. But Saturday was such a shit show for OU, maybe he looks again at Texas and Tech. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think Sanders is on a trajectory towards being a 1st round pick in 2024. I think his numbers are currently suppressed by not having Ewers for 4 games. If he had Ewers for all of Bama plus the next 3, I think the dude is sitting at something close to 40 receptions and 8-12 touchdowns already. Any defense that attempts to bracket Worthy and spy Robinson is basically saying "sure, let your TE and other WRs beat us" and we can now say "Ok" and fuck them up. Sanders is also turning into a terrific blocker. 

Bowers and Sanders will both be eligible to be drafted in the 2024 draft. It should be interesting to see how closely they're compared by that time and where each goes in the draft if they can both stay healthy.

The one thing that impressed me with Sanders was after his 1st catch, he turned the corner and was gone. Didn't think he had that type of speed. Going to be interesting to see how Sanders, Billingsley, and Whittington tear open the intermediate seems in ISU's cover 3 on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The deal with Vasek is that Texas didn’t prioritize him early, made a few mistakes on how one of the recruiting coaches talked with him, and as a result he soured on the program. Texas has been trying to work their way back from those mistakes. Until Saturday I didn’t think the odds looked very good. But Saturday was such a shit show for OU, maybe he looks again at Texas and Tech. 

Yeah, I don’t buy it.  A Longhorn legacy that lives in Westlake doesn’t commit to OU except as the most gigantic “fuck you” to his parents that he can imagine.  

If he wanted to get out a bit he could have gone to Oregon.  

9 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Yeah, I don’t buy it.  A Longhorn legacy that lives in Westlake doesn’t commit to OU except as the most gigantic “fuck you” to his parents that he can imagine.  

If he wanted to get out a bit he could have gone to Oregon.  

I just explained to you what happened. I don’t follow your comments. It wasn’t an FU to his parents. This isn’t opinion. It’s fact. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If we think about this in terms of attrition after this season, here's what I see/think:

-The 5 "seniors" are truly gone. 

-Of the "juniors", I assume the majority are gone as well. Let's say Keilan Robinson and Christian Jones stay for one more season. That's 11 scholarship players leaving.

-The "sophomores" will have several kinds of attrition: 1) NFL - BRobinson, Whittington, and Collins. 2) Transfer for PT - Card (GT), Liebrock, a safety. So 6 in all.

-Worthy and Sanders cannot go pro.

-Attrition candidates due to PT (trapdooring also) in the freshman ranks - Wright, Omeire, Hall (watching this guy up close on Saturday and the fact that he didn't get into the game, no way he's back), Alexis, Goram-Welch, Parr, Merril, Harris Jr., Pearson, Ibraheem, Turner-Gooden.

-Garth is already gone.

That's easily 25 spots for the next class and, frankly, I expect 30-35 to open up. They'll move the floor higher with the new class and transfers than what the 2021 guys helped provide, which is where a lot of attrition will come from that isn't eligibility, NFL, or GT. 

In short, nobody should be worrying about the fucking numbers. We'll sign 25-30 guys and add 5-7 transfer of high value. 

This also presumes sufficient funding in NIL to both retain talent and attract talent in the portal.

Also also, for anyone not paying attention and for those who whined at me a few weeks ago about me saying that the WR room is going to need help from both the transfer portal and the recruiting class, yeah, they're going to need 5 guys and to also pay XW another big deal. We really, really need Neyor to get healthy and stay at Texas for 2023. I was glad to see him at the game on Saturday, but that one is shaky right up until fall 2023 practice.

Collins???

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm sure it's been discussed but, what's the deal with Vasek?  Legacy, from Austin, friends on the team, OU sucks, etc.  And, it's not as if he's picking a school for a specific reason like major or awesome defensive coach.

His dad has him going undercover to get inside info on the OU program before transferring back home after a year

A sample of the information: OU sucks

GH said on the pod today that if Vasek isn't all in on being at Texas and he's just looking for an OU off ramp he's not worth the take.  

The guys who aren't at Texas because they love Texas hurt your culture.  

I'm sure a few are fine but you don't want a bunch of them.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

He said some people would know who they are, I didn't connect the dots. He mentioned there were previous rumors. 

Kayshon Boutte might be one to watch. He's not having a good time at all. But he may bet on himself and hit the league.

Edited by Happy Gilmore

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

GH said on the pod today that if Vasek isn't all in on being at Texas and he's just looking for an OU off ramp he's not worth the take.  

Whatever helps him get over that we prioritized Shelby if that’s the issue. I have a hard time believing a local legacy who’s been a fan his entire life would be a culture drag. 

13 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Kayshon Boutte might be one to watch. He's not having a good time at all. But he may bet on himself and hit the league.

I would be surprised if any WR transfer candidates are older than 2nd year sophomores. They’re usually ready to bolt as soon as they’re eligible, especially the caliber we’d be targeting to upgrade the room

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

USC brought in a bunch of mercs and went from 4-8 to 6-0. I understand avoiding locker room cancers, but that's too extreme.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Vermin said:

USC brought in a bunch of mercs and went from 4-8 to 6-0. I understand avoiding locker room cancers, but that's too extreme.

I think the point is that Vasek isn’t good enough to justify taking that risk. People were debating if he was a take even when they thought he was all in. 

21 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I would take both if I am being honest. If we took Hall, we would take Stewart. Mims needs a hostage negotiator called in.

Difference is Stewart personally affronted Sark and the rest of the staff. Hall has a boatload of issues, but there was nothing personal with anyone on the team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Quinn even has Alabama fans on his nuts. There's this YouTube channel called MattBeGreat who was shitting all over Quinn before the season, and now the dude said recently after the ou game that Quinn and Texas could beat anybody in the country and should be top 10, and that we're 22 tied with Kentucky is fucking bullshit (his words). He became a believer after the Bama game. 

• Hook 'Em 4