Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

And a special shoutout to the stepdads. Somewhere along the way being a stepdad has become frowned upon. And the reality is being a good stepdad might be the hardest job out there. 

Taking care of someone elses biological kid is MVP tier

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Happy Father's Day to all you degenerates...as far as my own family? Not one greeting, one kind word, not one card or gift? May you all meet your end trapped in a burning room, what a wasted life...

Very sorry Shooter. You’re appreciated here at least. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Father's Day should be about who can dad the most and I think I may have won today. I woke up, drank coffee, did the crossword puzzle, went to Home Depot, did some yard work, beat my kid in indoor baseball (I'll spare you the details, but it was a close play at the plate that could have used review), and took a nap in the recliner while watching the College World Series. I'm about to cook a steak while listening to Tom Petty on vinyl. If anyone dadded harder than me, I would like to hear about it.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

PXL_20230618_223210093.thumb.jpg.7d1aac99bc42f4ba06fbd002bdc37b4f.jpg

PXL_20230618_223853073.thumb.jpg.d0d70e24c12d1dfbc105ed5617293b3c.jpg

Smoked at 225 for about 45 seconds, to internal temperature of 115. Then seared over 600 degree Big Green Egg.

It was overly indulgent, and amazingly delicious. 

That's making me regret my decision to do fried chicken tonight.

Of course, I'll regret it up until, but not after, the point where I eat the fried chicken.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

PXL_20230618_223210093.thumb.jpg.7d1aac99bc42f4ba06fbd002bdc37b4f.jpg

PXL_20230618_223853073.thumb.jpg.d0d70e24c12d1dfbc105ed5617293b3c.jpg

Smoked at 225 for about 45 seconds, to internal temperature of 115. Then seared over 600 degree Big Green Egg.

It was overly indulgent, and amazingly delicious. 

That looks like a fucking 10.  Outstanding 

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

One of the best father daughter activities we’ve ever done. I hope going to ballparks in foreign destinations can be our thing as she grows up. She’s such a wonderful kid. She makes all the hard times so worth it. Her older sister is okay. She’s the A-type. Younger is more like me which is probably why we gel better. 

Happy Father’s Day to all you fine gents. Happy Father’s Day up in Heaven, dad

F5239118-BBBD-454E-8F54-CC5B96CDA2DE.thumb.jpeg.b3416a38ea56ab0cb186714ec3e2cad9.jpeg417ED57A-52E7-469A-A46C-D12859EA8A67.thumb.jpeg.4b2a2a6e20c72cec91228ea57527f94d.jpeg

Nice. Will be in my next mlb stadium next week, Toronto. Halfway done.

Baseball hof as well.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Oops. 45.minutes. Then seared about 30 seconds on each side. 

Makes sense now.  You are alive from eating properly cooked meat.  But still rather insane?  

Man, the kids and wife kinda let me loaf around and did some choring for me.  They're old enough now that Father's Day was kind of a nice retreat.  But the Monday after now is a pain in the ass.  It's like these 12 hours of reprieve then you gotta get your sweaty ass back to work and everybody is like, "Ah, we made you dinner yesterday...get the fuck back to the grind asshole."  ;)  

Edit: Damn, was meaning to post this in movies and TV, but it's appropriate here.

Bluey coming in with 10 new episodes July 12th (not sure if all at once)

Happy Chris Hemsworth GIF by Marvel Studios

354053612_585601670373257_67007102035155

Episodes spoilered just in case.

Spoiler
  • MUSICAL STATUES – At the end of a long day, Bluey and her family are out of sync and out of sorts, so Mum gets everyone to play musical statues.
  • STORIES – Bingo pretends to be Bluey’s new employee in the middle of Dad’s backyard workout!
  • PUPPETS – Bluey and Bingo teach Unicorse good manners so he can ask Mum on a date, but things go sideways when Unicorse eats a tick.
  • TURTLE BOY – Bingo finds a toy turtle at the playground and wants to take him home, but Dad says it’s not the done thing.
  • ONESIES – When Mum’s sister Brandy comes over for a visit, she brings the kids onesies as a present, which has an unexpected effect on Bingo!
  • TRADIES – Bluey and Bingo hide under the house and spy on two mysterious tradies working in the backyard.
  • GRANNY MOBILE – Muffin is playing Grouchy Granny on an old mobility scooter at a garage sale, but a real granny wants to buy it!
  • SPACE – Mackenzie, Jack and Rusty are playing as astronauts on a mission to Mars. But Mackenzie keeps going missing and no one knows why!
  • DIRT – Judo wants to play in the dirt with Bluey and Bingo, but she’s not supposed to get dirty!
  • THE DECIDER – The Heelers and Lucky’s family get together to watch the big game!

The new episodes include cameos from well-known Bluey fans, including Lin-Manuel Miranda, who appears as a talking horse in the episode “Stories,” and Rose Byrne, who plays Chilli’s sister Brandy in “Onesies.”

Rose Byrne?

Obi Wan Hello GIF by Star Wars

Edited by atomheartbevo

We came down to Austin for my SiL's graduation from Texas State. Giving the wife a break in ABIA, we came across a Toy Joy and I helped Rory make a selection

image.thumb.png.35aea24125d1d6570213ee997e7dc604.png

we get home late at night and get everything in, I can't find bevo anywhere. I look and look and look, the next day I look and look, I know that I got it off the airplane but I become convinced she must have lost it while I was getting the bags

a week goes by and I decide that she needs a bevo, so on to amazon.

Today I wake up to Rory standing next to the bed screaming "TWO BEEBOS". Best I can tell is that it got jammed into some corner of the stroller that I didn't see or think to check

IMG_3089.thumb.jpeg.ff70d677842e201c68fed0835015bd23.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

We came down to Austin for my SiL's graduation from Texas State. Giving the wife a break in ABIA, we came across a Toy Joy and I helped Rory make a selection

image.thumb.png.35aea24125d1d6570213ee997e7dc604.png

we get home late at night and get everything in, I can't find bevo anywhere. I look and look and look, the next day I look and look, I know that I got it off the airplane but I become convinced she must have lost it while I was getting the bags

a week goes by and I decide that she needs a bevo, so on to amazon.

Today I wake up to Rory standing next to the bed screaming "TWO BEEBOS". Best I can tell is that it got jammed into some corner of the stroller that I didn't see or think to check

UFCbl_9BvHQgGeUHAEFVgj7vb-Owieast6gfSp8UPZPOQKA4PsIeScJp0TloKNVRAFXk5ZOiYPmKqu-7qAk7uDBRgaIEGckH-rVoxgnV4AH6eFovbIrR8HWt3krDME4lwZUMy4tqruJq5Fj1lEn2qwco89LnOHVlG08Uw5GWIw0DuBaGScj_eDdFZ6elSXSh2YQ_utsrkKcDaovtuFpaJMQTBPkNhUinQzxEc8Y-cs4GG2igrQm8sjxQsbJIUk4eaqZPsu87AOzxCN0eQ6ByAYISlm8MBmKk8Ub8hJKFZM2vtiZ3Wsmm295LRJgCFlL0-bWk11wQ1de1mmgw0OJ2OF862rh4Nd1Udg6Ewrhxmp5mpYcrGKmugjIko94a7hBx0RUXEoIbuWZ-5N4y_DjzOg0TtsNPOekjPCb941fzLT3EMXrgUjRa1IvBJlcN0eBjCh6NHw6C9cUBuFy7zvm6az6ba0OSVqynzz3sysOkhCYQphdnLDv_bsaWn-sxJdOZW62OIPc6gMgw-XSQuISNq7CoHMSF9iLNXDk-lc19gRAb-cP4GarKwBPY-TTE3gZd2R4FqD0EU6CRGRDAbw70knQC3Oqb7nkfQbSbrM9dmjJM1nazBLxkm0Or2L1UNC782k2WMBRcHu6jCjVYs5Aloj8gsDIgLr-prTfV9RK-67VB3lDXY6FzDfB2mrNA-frNZmxMKK5rqPtEaw5lWqUFpjdURKQW1APat7aUYOo6iHEP9k6rHpjwgzdqyo5JyNKFl8FW3-6rnZyE_H0qOqz_4tHymTkcfiUQdHQUkL6E8D4EVChbM-EYNI4AqFwCUtwbPkFHbHcus3bEzWMUEzayzjxwgxWlBt0WtPhh-fZyPdm1ETKHkZm9LgkE698qlY0hmb1CaYvZw0vZDeBzD_xWBz9nUgEm-hIpaexJ_Z2wyzhlIg=w1216-h1620-s-no?authuser=0

uh, mind sharing that amazon link to it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ENP8QY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Douglas T-Bone Texas Longhorn Steer Plush Stuffed Animal" - she also has "douglas" dog that is a good stuffed animal/is one of her regular crew (Raffe the Giraffe, Duck, and Kevin the dog). Beebo is a bit of an outsider but he's sneaking in. I'm somewhat impressed that the horns have remained attached.

• Hook 'Em 1

hell yeah buddy. i'm curious to hear how it goes - I kinda miss the early days, but because they were in retrospect very easy (as well as special, etc). This time around that won't quite be the case given there will be a two year old about. 

Congratulations, glad he's home safe!

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

My cup runneth over, for the second time. Definitely a different feeling than after having the first - now that we’re home I’m not fully consumed by him like i was with the first, but looking forward to the connection that builds and to see the bond my two boys will form. My almost 2 year old has no idea what’s going on right now, but I can’t wait to see the switch finally turn on and have him realize the gift he has in a little brother. 

IMG_2124.jpeg

Glad y'all are home! Congrats man!

Dance Dancing GIF by Bluey

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/27/2023 at 1:34 PM, NoName said:

uh, mind sharing that amazon link to it?

Pretty sure this one is a Douglas too. Every good Longhorn dad needs to get their kids one of these. He just happened to grab this one out of his bin before I put him in his crib tonight, so good timing.

IMG_2235.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone’s kid have a tongue tie when they were born? Trying to figure out the best course of action re: snipping vs laser. Kinda leaning towards clipping on the advice from our pediatrician  but would love to hear anyone else’s experience with either. Doesn’t seem to be too bad except it hurts my wife to feed, but he got back up to birth weight in 3 days so he’s able to eat ok. 

They just grow too. Damn. Fast.

It sucks. We’ve been to disneyworld the last 3 years(first trip was postponed due to Covid closing the place)… now my daughter is on the wrong end of the cute girl princess stage, gonna be 8 next month.

I certainly don’t miss both of my kids absolutely ruining my sleep habits for the first 18 months of their lives.

It sucks. We’ve been to disneyworld the last 3 years(first trip was postponed due to Covid closing the place)… now my daughter is on the wrong end of the cute girl princess stage, gonna be 8 next month.

I certainly don’t miss both of my kids absolutely ruining my sleep habits for the first 18 months of their lives.

When we went to Disney, my daughter was about to turn 8. She still loved it. I’d like to go back one more time.

3 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Just dropped my 13 month-old off at daycare for the first time. What a strange feeling...

It was weirder dropping off a 3-month old.  It was our first in 2006, when my then-wife worked for the state and only got 3 months of maternity leave, and we didn't think a nanny was in our budget at the time.  Handing off our 3-month-old daughter to total strangers was certainly discomforting, but it turned out to be a great place for her.   

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It was weirder dropping off a 3-month old.  It was our first in 2006, when my then-wife worked for the state and only got 3 months of maternity leave, and we didn't think a nanny was in our budget at the time.  Handing off our 3-month-old daughter to total strangers was certainly discomforting, but it turned out to be a great place for her.   

this is how we were. lady got fantastic recs and is small home based. now we are at the point that i think we are going to have 2 kids there + are v close with 2 other kids parents who are there. childcare is expensive and terrifying all at once, but when you find the right spot...it's incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

this is how we were. lady got fantastic recs and is small home based. now we are at the point that i think we are going to have 2 kids there + are v close with 2 other kids parents who are there. childcare is expensive and terrifying all at once, but when you find the right spot...it's incredible.

Absolutely.  For our second my ex was back in private practice and was able to take 6 months of maternity leave, and we also hired a nanny for his first two years.  But then from 2 years old until kindergarten he went to the same outstanding day care as his big sister (First English, north of campus near Trudy's).  We always felt our kids were taken care of and well-loved there, which takes a huge load off of the normal parental anxiety. 

As a side note:  My daughter whom I dropped off at day care when she was only 3 months old will be leaving for college next summer, and I'll probably be an absolute wreck at that moment. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2

My wife worked in Childcare for 12 years. Be picky with your choice. You don’t always get what you pay for. Should be self explanatory but if a center has high turnover rate I’d recommend not using that center. My kids all went to her center and we used their Pre-k as well so we got to hand pick their teachers. There are State mandated ratios of kids:teachers. Try to avoid the ones that are packed to the gills and if you can find a teacher who’s been in the same class for a long time those were golden imo.

• Hook 'Em 1