Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Urban said he loves the thrill of the climb to the mountaintop, he finds it intoxicating.
Come to Texas and get that 1 last hit Urban.

I didn’t watch the entire segment but I’m sure I turned it off right before the pee color chart was unfurled.

18 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Urban said he loves the thrill of the climb to the mountaintop, he finds it intoxicating.

Coming to Texas would be like butt funneling a Fentanyl & Cocaine cocktail. CDC please have the Narcan at the ready!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TriStone said:

Can anyone tell me where this "can't have good football AND good academics" line of thought originated?  There's a set of nuts out there somewhere that have earned a good punch.

This. And please spare me the bullshit handwringing over some faux concern about the "optics" of the most profitable athletics program in the history of college sports paying a coach $40M or whatever ... esp from fucking legislators.

Those same legislators (for example) have had zero problem literally giving away more than $225M so far to COTA and the POS who runs it. In the meantime COTA is barely keeping its head above water, and said POS would rather spend our tax money on trying to keep other pro sports and music venues out of town than on fixing the track that's falling apart.

3 hours ago, torre said:

Add Stanford to your list.   In many ways our athletic programs mirror Stanford - strong in other sports,  mediocre in football,  baseball,  basketball. 

Read/heard that university administrations are enamored with the NCAA Director's Cup which rates all sports.    Stanford finished #1 in 2019,  we were #4.   Cancelled for this year.

https://nacda.com/documents/2019/6/27//June28DIOverall.pdf?id=3678

thank you Plonsky...

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah it’s pretty silly. The UT admin should want to be peers of Berkeley or Michigan academically. That doesn’t mean you can’t achieve at the highest level as a football program. Like Texas, Michigan isn’t hurting for football talent or resources. If Tom Herman were actually able to coach the consensus top level talent he brought in, Texas wouldn’t magically become Oklahoma academically.

Of course you can be both. We just aren't committed to it and are fine if it doesn't happen as long as we don't get embarrassed and it doesn't look like we pay(this includes buyouts and new contracts) too much.  Christ, Shaka should have been fired 2 years ago.  Pierce can thank Kody Clemens for not being below average.  that kid may have had the greatest season by someone not named Vince Young in the last 20 years.

we are fine going 1-3 against TCU and 1-4 against OU because, you know, "winning is hard" and also "it wouldn't be good for the kids if we won all the time..."

Until some gets fired(not just letting a contract run its course) for being completely average or even slightly below average I'm thinking we are good with average as long as the price is right.  We are Cal until CDC shows otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

You assholes should be massive Clemson fans this year. If Corch Meyers thinks Dabo is coming for his #2 best coach spot, he might just have to come out of retirement to show that fucking rube what's up 

Hell, I bet sitting there staring at Saban putting more distance between them is tearing him up...go catch him in Austin Urby

6 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Sure! And, while we are at it, let's find out how many others are willing to never post here again if he isn't.

If urban is not hired it will be because of him not UT.. For the first time everyone is aligned... This includes President, ALL BMD, BOR and CDC..... Anyone saying Urban is not a possibility is FOS.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Lol.

The "urban or bust" people should save themselves the inevitable disappointment by working through how the mechanics of hiring Urban would work.

Jay Hartzell would have to make the ultimate decision. Jay has ZERO political capital built up with the legislature. Starting in less than 10 weeks, the legislature is going to be pressed to find ways to reduce funding across the board. The publicly funded endowment to the UT System is already greater than all other public universities and colleges (including aggy) combined. The portion of the UT System publicly funded endowment dedicated to UT Austin is about 50%. UT Austin is already funded by taxpayers at a rate double of that of Texas A&M. Total revenue (per full-time student equivalent) at A&M is $31k/yr. At Prairie View - $28k. At Tech - $21k. U of H - $28k. Texas State - $18k. UT Austin - $55k. In total dollars, UT Austin receives about $2B more each year in public funding (fed and state) than A&M.

At some point during the 2012 legislative session, the political discussion of just how much UT Austin should be funded over every other public university in Texas will be brought up. The disparity is huge.

If, as one of his first meaningful decisions as UT Austin president, Jay Hartzell decides to blow $40 million to bring in (of all people )Urban Meyer, Jay Hartzell won't last as school president past the end of the spring semester. In the current financial environment, spending tens of millions to bring in someone with an enormous ethical cloud over his head would be career and reputational suicide for Hartzell.

Remember when Tom Herman essentially told everyone to go fuck themselves because he was bringing Casey Horny onto the payroll? Well, Hartzell isn't going to make that same stupid mistake, and especially not on a massively higher level.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

Two of the cardinal rules of being UT Austin president as a) don't do massively stupid things in a very public was and b) don't needlessly waste political capital on meaningless issues. Hiring of Urban Meyer, for all its potential at winning football games, violates both of those rules. Jay Hartzell is not going to sacrifice his opportunity to be UT Austin president, and piss all the work he did to get to that position down the drain to hire Urban Meyer to be the football coach. Urban Meyer is considered a sociopath by people Jay Hartzell needs in his corner. As is Art Briles.

Jay is fully on board...... LMAO AT THIS POST.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

If urban is not hired it will be because of him not UT.. For the first time everyone is aligned... This includes President, ALL BMD, BOR and CDC..... Anyone saying Urban is not a possibility is FOS.

TOM F'N HERMAN will tell you when we are aligned and not a second sooner!!!

18 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

You assholes should be massive Clemson fans this year. If Corch Meyers thinks Dabo is coming for his #2 best coach spot, he might just have to come out of retirement to show that fucking rube what's up 

well , at the very least,  he can make an argument that titles at 3 different schools beats a dynasty . 'specially 2 bluebloods and fla. IF he won 2 or more here he would be lookin' eye to eye with the man himself dabo be damned 

Urban took a steaming pile of shit 2-9 2000 Bowling Green team to an 8-3 bowl winner in 2001.  He took a shitty Mountain West Utah and put them on the map with a BCS Fiesta Bowl win capping off a 12-0 2004 season.  Utah would probably still be playing in the Mountain West but for Meyer.  Hire his rested, young 56 year old ass next Sunday and don't look back.   

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Urban took a steaming pile of shit 2-9 2000 Bowling Green team to an 8-3 bowl winner in 2001.  He took a shitty Mountain West Utah and put them on the map with a BCS Fiesta Bowl win capping off a 12-0 2004 season.  Utah would probably still be playing in the Mountain West but for Meyer.  Hire his rested, young 56 year old ass next Sunday and don't look back.   

He would be 5-0 this year with this same talent and no one could convince me otherwise

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The man goes to bible study at 6am every day and some of you people want to question is moral fiber. Go to hell, you people.

Meyer  can probably thump his Bible better than Hugh Freeze, Jimmy Swaggart or Joel Osteen, and that is okay with me .  

5 hours ago, westexhorn said:

Link? He didn't say that in the video you responded to. I'm not sure who the dweeb interviewer was in that heavily cut up video but that was pretty sad. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Link? He didn't say that in the video you responded to. I'm not sure who the dweeb interviewer was in that heavily cut up video but that was pretty sad. 

Basically at 5:15 ish he said the thrill to climb the mountain is awesome.  I may or may not have elaborated on what he said.

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

He would be 5-0 this year with this same talent and no one could convince me otherwise

easily but he'd have to put in some serious work on the OL to do it.  he certainly would have figured out how to get Captain Personal Foul back to Tackle

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

easily but he'd have to put in some serious work on the OL to do it.  he certainly would have figured out how to get Captain Personal Foul back to Tackle

Herman had 4 fucking years to replace Shackelford but instead chose to move our second best tackle to center...great plan Tom, you fuck...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

Basically at 5:15 ish he said the thrill to climb the mountain is awesome.  I may or may not have elaborated on what he said.

You're taking a little cherry-picked sentence totally out of context. But that's the theme of the whole "interview" where this guy had a preconceived story he wanted to tell and edited the piece accordingly. Detachment from man's approval? When Urban says "that's a good question," I'm pretty sure he was thinking, "what the fuck are you talking about?"

The little excerpt you're referring to was calling attention to the fact that winning a championship didn't allow him to sit back and rest on his laurels. He's often told the story about how he was on the phone recruiting after winning his first championship and he didn't allow himself any time to relax and enjoy the achievement. He wasn't saying that the real rush in coaching is taking a struggling program and building them into a champion although I can understand why that's how you interpreted it. That's what you want from a new coach and you heard exactly what you wanted to hear. 

The point is that Urban's competitiveness has him wound up really tight and he puts a lot of pressure on himself to maintain a high level of success. His health problems seem to be related to that. If anything I would think that's evidence for why he might be done with coaching. 

8 hours ago, torre said:

Read/heard that university administrations are enamored with the NCAA Director's Cup which rates all sports.    Stanford finished #1 in 2019,  we were #4.   Cancelled for this year.

https://nacda.com/documents/2019/6/27//June28DIOverall.pdf?id=3678

UCLA is also in the hunt for the Director's Cup.

And you KNOW that their football team always sucks ass.

USC likes to go after that thing as well.

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

You're like a miserable divorcee that's thoroughly convinced himself that his ex-wife that he never got over will never fall in love again and remarry. Just let her live her life, man. There's other fish in the sea.

Try not to let your emotions confuse you. I don't care what Urban does next. You do. I don't know what the future holds but there's a legitimate argument to be made that the Ohio State football program is better off right now than it was in Urban's last year running things. This isn't like the jilted lover syndrome of Texas fans who watched Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M flee the Big XII for greener pastures. I'm just sharing my observations after following Urban's career since he was at Bowling Green. I'm pretty sure the Buckeyes will be okay regardless of what he does next. 

Sorry I'm not telling you what you want to hear. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Try not to let your emotions confuse you. I don't care what Urban does next. You do. I don't know what the future holds but there's a legitimate argument to be made that the Ohio State football program is better off right now than it was in Urban's last year running things. This isn't like the jilted lover syndrome of Texas fans who watched Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M flee the Big XII for greener pastures. I'm just sharing my observations after following Urban's career since he was at Bowling Green. I'm pretty sure the Buckeyes will be okay regardless of what he does next. 

You're awfully engaged in threads about what he does next for someone who doesn't care.

So wait, is your point that you don't think he'll come, or that you think ohio state is better off without him? I can't follow the point you're trying to make.

You know who else thought Meyer was done for good? Florida fans, after he stepped down there for the sake of his health. Funny how that all worked out.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

For fucks sake I'm tired of reading posts about people's opinions who don't really care "one way or another", what kind of a pretentious self righteous prick voices their opinion on something they don't really give a fuck about. This mother fuckin thread is titled Urban Meyer or bust. You can believe he's coming here or you can believe he's not coming here...if you are indifferent then find the thread titled "I should go fuck myself" and post in there...oh and...I don't care what you do though. lulz 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Go fuck your own face.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

For fucks sake I'm tired of reading posts about people's opinions who don't really care "one way or another", what kind of a pretentious self righteous prick voices their opinion on something they don't really give a fuck about. This mother fuckin thread is titled Urban Meyer or bust. You can believe he's coming here or you can believe he's not coming here...if you are indifferent then find the thread titled "I should go fuck myself" and post in there...oh and...I don't care what you do though. lulz 

38 posts and already enforcing thread discipline. That's what I call coming out of the gate with some game.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Our OL isn’t in as bad of shape as people think over the next couple years. We’ve recruited well enough there the last few years, and we have OL talent on the roster being obscured by poor coaching and poor scheme. It’s really obvious watching the entire OL that these aren’t just individual perosnnel issues. Our entire OL is just poorly coached and no one’s going to look good in this environment right now. 

Keestetter’s almost definitely not leaving after the year he’s had so you bump him to LT and you immediately have an above average LT. Majors will likely be ready to take over Center and then you let Christian Jones and Karic battle for RT. I think Hookfin will end up being a good player for us and there are enough other upperclassmen who will be able to battle it out for the other Guard spot. And all that doesn’t even take into account any transfers, which I’d bet we’d get at least a Couple. 

If we can just avoid getting killed by attrition, Urban will have plenty of talent to win with right away. Herman’s failed in a lot of ways, but if we fire him this year, he’ll have left the roster in drastically better shape than his last two predecessors. If we keep him another year though, shit will get ugly and the roster talent will fall off a cliff. 

10 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Herman had 4 fucking years to replace Shackelford but instead chose to move our second best tackle to center...great plan Tom, you fuck...

Of all Herman’s failings, his inability to evaluate his personnel might be the biggest. From his claims about the 2017 OL and telling people behind the scenes they’d win 10 games that year, to everyone knowing Ghirmai sucked and doing nothing about it for years, I used to think he was just being disingenuous with the media, but it’s clear now he really has no clue what he’s seeing in practice. It’s almost unfathomable how unaware he is. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Jesus this is moronic.  After Tressel and the quick pivot to Fickell, Urban set them on a path to success like few other programs.  MNC, multiple conference championships and 10+ win seasons YOY.  This board would shit itself to have Urbans worst season at tOSU.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Our OL isn’t in as bad of shape as people think over the next couple years. We’ve recruited well enough there the last few years, and we have OL talent on the roster being obscured by poor coaching and poor scheme. It’s really obvious watching the entire OL that these aren’t just individual perosnnel issues. Our entire OL is just poorly coached and no one’s going to look good in this environment right now. 

Keestetter’s almost definitely not leaving after the year he’s had so you bump him to LT and you immediately have an above average LT. Majors will likely be ready to take over Center and then you let Christian Jones and Karic battle for RT. I think Hookfin will end up being a good player for us and there are enough other upperclassmen who will be able to battle it out for the other Guard spot. And all that doesn’t even take into account any transfers, which I’d bet we’d get at least a Couple. 

If we can just avoid getting killed by attrition, Urban will have plenty of talent to win with right away. Herman’s failed in a lot of ways, but if we fire him this year, he’ll have left the roster in drastically better shape than his last two predecessors. If we keep him another year though, shit will get ugly and the roster talent will fall off a cliff. 

Of all Herman’s failings, his inability to evaluate his personnel might be the biggest. From his claims about the 2017 OL and telling people behind the scenes they’d win 10 games that year, to everyone knowing Ghirmai sucked and doing nothing about it for years, I used to think he was just being disingenuous with the media, but it’s clear now he really has no clue what he’s seeing in practice. It’s almost unfathomable how unaware he is. 

I could definitely see a Kerstetter-Angilau-Majors-Hookfin-Jones line and thats decent enough. A grad transfer center would be great to give Majors another year. I still have hopes for Tyler Johnson as well, who knows what could happen with a half way decent OL coach

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Jesus this is moronic.  After Tressel and the quick pivot to Fickell, Urban set them on a path to success like few other programs.  MNC, multiple conference championships and 10+ win seasons YOY.  This board would shit itself to have Urbans worst season at tOSU.  

his worst season was either:

• 2013: 12-2, won the division, finished at #10 in Coaches and 12 in AP - lost in CCG and then lost vs Clemson in the Orange Bowl + beat Michigan
  • 2017: 12-2, won the division, finished #5 in Coaches and AP poll - lost to #5 OU and Iowa but finished out winning the B10 championship and the Cotton Bowl + beat Michigan

So...yeah. making CCG, wining division and beating rival? absolutely.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wow. You sure know how to polish a turd, I'll give you that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic