Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

So if Tom Herman is a cancer, would you wait or get start chemo as soon as possible?

You're really missing the point here. I'd have fired Herman before the Tech game last year, but that has nothing to do with the conversation of people complaining about letting Herman stay another week because it will hurt recruiting.  The timing of firing Herman is irrelevant to recruiting. Sure, getting Meyer in here ASAP will help a little, but doing it now or one week from now really won't change anything, and all reports indicate we've made him an incredible offer and it's now up to him to accept.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

this has always been the hold up & still is  hes waiting for mick & pantoni if they say no urban says no 

This is the most worrisome issue to me if he's really willing to say no over it. The job makes too much sense for Urban but it's less clear for those guys to uproot and follow him. 

Also surprises me that if everything else lines up, he'd turn it down just because of a strength coach and recruiting coordinator

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Errestaurants said:

What’s the difference between the first 99 pages and the last 17. What’s heating up?

It kicked off with someone posting Shelley Meyer responding to an OU fan on twitter who basically said "I'll hate to root against you guys now that you're going to UT" and Mrs. Meyer never refuted it and in fact said something like "We always respect you, Stoops is a friend". After that it's been a bunch of nothing.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit. We've gone peak Football Board.  Everyone on this thread saying that we should just keep Herman if we miss on Meyer makes Geoff Ketchum look like the pinnacle of intellect and reason and isn't worth the short amount of time it would take to explain why. 

Not sure that's where things are really. But the folks that are going to be asked to write the check to pay Herman/staff buyout have very likely pinned it on the contingency that Urban Meyer is the replacement. If that doesn't come to pass, CDC will need to get those commitments re-affirmed for a Plan B option. It appears the athletic department is not ready to step out on the get-rid-of-Herman-no-matter-what plank yet without certainty the BMD's are going to pay it.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Urban coached recently enough where he would mean something to 17/18 year olds.  This isn’t like when we pretend VY is a big deal to recruits.  

I'll agree it's not that bad - but I still don't think it's some OMG moment.  I mean I'd still get a hard on if one of my favorite teams hired Jimmy Johnson but I'm an old MF.  UncleBuck is right - it would improve the current ranking.  But to think in the last couple weeks some mass chaos with recruits leaving their commitments all over seems like wishful thinking.  But I'll say it again - there will be no major talent issue...at least until he gets to the playoffs.  Still...just get him and everything will be fine.  Don't sweat the details of when.  Easy for me to say, of course.  I wish you all the worst. 

Jokes aside, I actually don't wish UT the worst.  Prob because a lot of my friends and family are tormented alums.  But I think it would be great for The Game to really mean a lot again.  LR isn't going to be scared of Urban.  It will be a great matchup imo.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Errestaurants said:

What’s the difference between the first 99 pages and the last 17. What’s heating up?

Nothing's heating up.  We only get to celebrate wins in recruiting and coaching hires since our sport teams suck.  

It's just Saban's wife house hunting at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

Are you willing to spend $20M+ to change out the football staff before having a slam-dunk replacement in the bag? I’m not sure I’m there yet. For Urban? Fuck yeah, I am. But firing Herman and his staff, then striking out on Urban and having go to Plan B is not quite where I’m at right now.

The nice thing is we are going to know within days if Urban is accepting the offer. He wants as long of a run-up to the 12/19 ESD.

It would be a disturbing sign of disfunction if CDC et al is determining the future of this football program based on unknown variables or verbal commitments from agents.

Should Herman be fired? Yes or No.

If yes, make the top no-brainer prospects tell you no. Rigorously identify and pursue alternative prospects. That should be an ongoing effort even in successful programs, who might suddenly lose a coach to the NFL.

If no, aggressively squash rumors and take action to improve the condition of the program.

The “we’ll fire him if Urban’s agent makes us feel confident this guy will say yes” is dysfunctional, unprofessional, self-sabotaging, and backwards.

If Herman is not fired, then CDC should. Not just because it would be a bad decision, it’d be because he fostered an environment of dysfunction and rumor and/or sought to undermine the football team by basing employment on the condition of a verbal commitment of Urban Meyer’s agent.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Meh, who cares what these people think. I'm sure you'll find some buckeye fan who thinks they saw the Mothman last night. 

Certainly not I. It's just entertaining seeing how afraid other fans are of Texas maybe not fucking things up for once.

I don’t think they'd be as concerned if they didn't think it had legs.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

What money would we pay if Urban turns us down?  We’re not running it back again with Herman next year if Urban says no - or at least we better not.  He’s done.  It’s time to move on one way or another, even if it’s with a Fickell or Campbell.  

You don’t stay with your employee who is embezzling and set the office on fire just because you don’t have your dream candidate already on his way to replace him.   If someone needs to be let go, you let them go.

Well, neither Fickell or Campbell is going to talk with you for at least 2 weeks so do you move on or wait??

I wonder what would happen if Herman "caught covid" today?  Would that buy him 2 weeks and completely screw recruiting, or would CDC just fire him anyway?

Can he "opt out" of the rest of the season due to covid fears?

If news came out tomorrow that Herman has covid and one of the other coaches will be interim head coach this weekend would that mean Herman is gone but we need more time to finalize the UM deal?

Maybe the hang-up is that UM has one of those rock-star contract riders that require they provide him with only green M&Ms or a unicorn or something.

13 minutes ago, austintiger said:

At this point I'm not sure your Athletic Department cares all that much about winning football games...as least not as much as making money. The only thing that will get their attention is for that to start to fade. Hopefully your boosters are making it clear if Tom comes back the money dries up. It's the only thing that'll matter.

I’m not sure you know that much about our athletic Dept.

23 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm not gunna say he'd get the class into the top five or anything ridiculous like that, but there is no doubt in my mind that giving recruits 17 days to mull around playing for Urban Meyer at Texas, because it is real and happening, would help this class finish better than 17th or wherever tf it is today. 

I can't find the post right now but I've seen it referenced several places on the IT boards  - apparently Gerry Hamilton knows of several ESPN 300 recruits in the 2021 class that Meyer would likely pull in if he was announced as HC at Texas.

Not enough to get this class to top 10 - but it would be a significant upgrade to what the class currently is.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

On the other hand, the recruits Strong and Herman brought were mostly, if not all, poached from UL and UH respectively. Urban doesn't have relationships like that with any recruits right now unless he's just a weirdo. 

Yah but Urban's recent enough to where he was the first coach to offer Ewers. He no doubt offered a lot of these '21 kids. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You're really missing the point here. I'd have fired Herman before the Tech game last year, but that has nothing to do with the conversation of people complaining about letting Herman stay another week because it will hurt recruiting.  The timing of firing Herman is irrelevant to recruiting. Sure, getting Meyer in here ASAP will help a little, but doing it now or one week from now really won't change anything, and all reports indicate we've made him an incredible offer and it's now up to him to accept.  

Is it another week? Do you know that? He should have been fired in October. Him being around week after week, month after month, after everybody knows he will be out of here soon hurts every single aspect of the program. If it is true there is some kind of guarantee he is going to be fired next week then that is good. But I do not see that as guaranteed. People are talking about this thing dragging on another year.

He needs to be out yesterday for reasons I have said many times: having a lame duck coach just hanging around when the job of a head coach in building up a program for future success is so vital is very dangerous. If the plan is to fire him a minute after the K-State game then that is better than nothing, but for all we know he could be hanging around here for weeks. We possibly have another game after that plus the Bowl Game.

And need I remind everybody there is another national signing day after the December one. Time a new coaching staff might like to see what they can do, plus we are half way through the 2022 cycle. Precious time is being wasted dragging this thing out, and it is the next coach who will pay the price.

8 minutes ago, 936horn said:

It kicked off with someone posting Shelley Meyer responding to an OU fan on twitter who basically said "I'll hate to root against you guys now that you're going to UT" and Mrs. Meyer never refuted it and in fact said something like "We always respect you, Stoops is a friend". After that it's been a bunch of nothing.

I thought it started with Nicole's panhandle peeps.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I can't find the post right now but I've seen it referenced several places on the IT boards  - apparently Gerry Hamilton knows of several ESPN 300 recruits in the 2021 class that Meyer would likely pull in if he was announced as HC at Texas.

Not enough to get this class to top 10 - but it would be a significant upgrade to what the class currently is.

No doubt, as I just replied to another reply, he was the first coach to offer Ewers. He no doubt offered a lot of these '21 guys. It's not like he's been out of the game for very long. 

But as was pointed out, until he actually agrees to a deal, none of that matters. So nothing we can really do about it. 

26 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

Urban isn't coming to Texas. That was always delusional thinking by our fanbase. Herman sucks no doubt but why drop $25 million for a PJ Fleck or Campbell type of comer up. Might as well stick with Tom.

Oh, look, a new user, providing nothing to this discussion.  You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If ifs and butts were candy and nuts.... But, I think there is a decent chance that Herman would still have his job if he picked up Cade Johnson, Elerson Smith, and Dillon Radunz as schools were shutting down their seasons due to Covid. Instead, it seemed he was more focused on non-football related stuff.

22 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

No I'm just trying to counter balance all the bullshit coming from this fanbase. This Urban Meyer shit is a cope. 

It is not coming from the fanbase, it is our media pushing this. You are wasting your breath, direct it at the $9.95 crowd.

Do you think we just make shit up on our own? No. Somebody else has to make it up for us if it is going to be made up.

This is kind of like the Saban thing in 2013, people acting like we just dream up random bullshit. No. The media does it, we would have no way to even begin to just randomly jerk out names and speculate they are coming to Texas. Why not claim Dabo is coming here if that is what is going on?

Try fact checking a little bit before you rush in here throwing out accusations.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I made the mistake of reading the last 10 or so pages of this thread. And it just confirms that staying off the Football Board will never not be the correct decision. Jesus christ, you twats. 

Please. Y'all do the same stupid shit on the recruiting board. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It is not coming from the fanbase, it is our media pushing this. You are wasting your breath, direct it at the $9.95 crowd.

Do you think we just make shit up on our own? No. Somebody else has to make it up for us if it is going to be made up.

Yeah we're not posting OC bullshit here, one of us pays for it, thank you very much.

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

this has always been the hold up & still is  hes waiting for mick & pantoni if they say no urban says no 

This is the most worrisome issue to me if he's really willing to say no over it. The job makes too much sense for Urban but it's less clear for those guys to uproot and follow him. 

Also surprises me that if everything else lines up, he'd turn it down just because of a strength coach and recruiting coordinator

carter.png?itok=drjCkfyj

25 minutes ago, austintiger said:

At this point I'm not sure your Athletic Department cares all that much about winning football games...as least not as much as making money. The only thing that will get their attention is for that to start to fade. Hopefully your boosters are making it clear if Tom comes back the money dries up. It's the only thing that'll matter.

They went & hired Herman (pre CDC) when he was seen as the hot new head coach. They won a negotiation battle vs LSU to do so. Sure Herman has been a bust but still it was seen universally as a solid move at that point.

They're currently offering Urban Meyer 12 million a year. What else do you want CDC to do? Go take Meyer hostage & force him to coach here? They don't want to pay $25 million extra just to a Campbell type of HC. Sorry.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Last time I checked we did not have storied about our staff trying to cover up multiple assaults.

What does this have to do about winning football games? If you're trying to stay tom should stay because no one has been assaulted then you're even dumber than I thought.

• Fuck You 2

39 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm not gunna say he'd get the class into the top five or anything ridiculous like that, but there is no doubt in my mind that giving recruits 17 days to mull around playing for Urban Meyer at Texas, because it is real and happening, would help this class finish better than 17th or wherever tf it is today. 

It might help with a couple of legacies that didn't come here for the specific reason their family doesn't like Tom Herman.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic