Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, Caddox said:

It’ll be a little later. I’d guess 1-2 hours. Just thought I’d help get the juices flowing in here. I’m excited to talk to this person, it’s been a long drought of activity. This guy will also tell me if I got booted from the text thread. 

That's a lot of waiting just to say we're pursuing Gary Fatterson

9 minutes ago, Caddox said:

It’ll be a little later. I’d guess 1-2 hours. Just thought I’d help get the juices flowing in here. I’m excited to talk to this person, it’s been a long drought of activity. This guy will also tell me if I got booted from the text thread. 

Is Whittington your woo? 

There are a lot of great coaches available, but are there dynamic characters who are great coaches available? It isn't just X's and O's. It's keeping 150 people organized and focused on a goal. That's tough. Same with recruiting.

I don't think that's Campbell. I think he's a great coach but he's no dynamic character and I think it will limit what he's able to do as hypothetical Texas HC. 

I don't think that character exists this go round, save Urban. I thought it was Herman. 

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - if the Bears job opens up Fitzgerald is rumored to be the favorite - it is apparently one of the few jobs he has said he might be willing to leave Northwestern for.  I'm guessing he'd wait on that job before entertaining any other offers.

I forget which NFL team he turned down before but I've heard some sports media types speculate that if there's one NFL job he'd take, it would be the Bears. But I'm not sure that's more than speculation. He's got it pretty good at Northwestern. He's able to survive a 3-9 disaster of a season like last year and come back to win the division. And who knows? Maybe the conference. Have you seen the new practice facility they built for him overlooking Lake Michigan? It's pretty impressive. 

I understand wanting to see how you can compete at the highest level, but Fitz is a made man at Northwestern. He can survive bad seasons there a lot better than in the NFL where they chew up coaches and spit them out. And, as impressive as the job he's done at his alma mater is, I've seen him make some boneheaded coaching decisions that have cost him some games. Northwestern has shown a commitment to him and the program. I just can't see him rejecting that. Not right now, anyway. But we'll see. I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Northwestern has shown a commitment to him and the program. I just can't see him rejecting that. Not right now, anyway. But we'll see. I could be wrong. 

He's been there 15 years, what should he be waiting for before he moves on....a national championship? Shit he could probably fail in the NFL and Northwestern would hire him right back. 

I definitely won’t defend Mack’s recruiting at the very end - the guys he had committed as sophomores for future classes right before he got fired in particular were beyond horrible.   But some of the 2014 roster calamities were a direct result of the purge that took place when Charlie arrived.  
The starting OTs that year should have been Desmond Harrison (played in the NFL after resurfacing at a small school), Kennedy Estelle, and/or Darius James (started at Auburn after transferring).    We lost a lot of talent at critical positions to start off the Strong era.  

This is misleading. All 3 did not take care of business. Two of them played in 2014. All 3 were on the roster in 2014 and worked their way off it. Harrison was never a factor here and took a unique route to get here. I would guess similar behavior that ran him out of here ran him out of the NFL. A bit of a desperation take. Estelle was not very good. From memory James made a difference but got hurt and had a falling out.

Losing those 3 should not have resulted in 265 lb converted D lineman and wheelchair guy to be two of your reliable guys upfront.

Losing a lot of talent is an overstatement.

2 minutes ago, randygilman said:

There are a lot of great coaches available, but are there dynamic characters who are great coaches available? It isn't just X's and O's. It's keeping 150 people organized and focused on a goal. That's tough. Same with recruiting.

I don't think that's Campbell. I think he's a great coach but he's no dynamic character and I think it will limit what he's able to do as hypothetical Texas HC. 

I don't think that character exists this go round, save Urban. I thought it was Herman. 

You're forgetting someone

Spoiler

Mack Brown is well endowed - Barking Carnival

Butter teeth Two. Electric Boogaloo.

16 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Damn... I forgot what it was like being a teenage boy talking to the elementary school kids.   They listen with such wide eyes!

10 minutes ago, randygilman said:

25 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

When Fitzgerald's name came up a few years ago, I felt he'd be a great choice. But I quickly got a sense he was the opposite of what our program is all about. In other words, a really good coach and leader who runs a tight ship. Doesn't seem like the type who'd want to hobnob with our "insiders." 

If y'all believe this shouldn't this scream out the problem isn't the coaches but the culture of this program? It would be a million times easier to fix the culture around the program and cut out the leeches than it will to find a mythical coach who can be half Obama and half Lombardi. 

That's why OU kicks our asses like crazy no matter who is there. Castiglione realized making the program run clean and uncluttered makes it coaching friendly and that allows different coaches to walk in and succeed. We should seriously model the football program after OU in how they handle business. They have no good recruiting ground in OK, are a suburb of a shit city in a shit state in the middle of the Midwest wasteland yet they lure talent and coaches to kick ass year after year for 22 years now. They only stay down 1 season at most then always bounce back. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

27 minutes ago, Caddox said:

go the fuck away and do not post until you actually have something.  we are done with bullshit.  post-del-conte-therm-cum syndrome.  it is a bad time to openly troll.

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

He's been there 15 years, what should he be waiting for before he moves on....a national championship? Shit he could probably fail in the NFL and Northwestern would hire him right back. 

Why should he be waiting for anything? He's got a good job where they love him. You think he'd last 15 years coaching for the Bears? What's wrong with spending your career building up the program at your alma mater? He's not the highest paid coach but he's paid well enough and he's got incredible job security. 

Edit: When I said I couldn't see him leaving right now it was a reference to how recently Northwestern dumped a bunch of money into building him new facilities. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If y'all believe this shouldn't this scream out the problem isn't the coaches but the culture of this program? It would be a million times easier to fix the culture around the program and cut out the leeches than it will to find a mythical coach who can be half Obama and half Lombardi. 

That's why OU kicks our asses like crazy no matter who is there. Castiglione realized making the program run clean and uncluttered makes it coaching friendly and that allows different coaches to walk in and succeed. We should seriously model the football program after OU in how they handle business. They have no good recruiting ground in OK, are a suburb of a shit city in a shit state in the middle of the Midwest wasteland yet they lure talent and coaches to kick ass year after year for 22 years now. They only stay down 1 season at most then always bounce back. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel 

I assume everyone knows that it's a problem. Well, except for the people in a position to change it. 

Just now, UncleBuck said:

I’ll put damn beans, spaghetti, whole cinnamon sticks, kolaches, Kapowskies whatever the fuck it takes in Urban’s chili if he’ll come to Texas. I will baste my brisket in sauce before pulling it off the pit.

I’d trim off all the fat cap, cook it for 18 hours, and slice with the grain if it got him here, IDGAF

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

One thing I believe about any coach to be successful here is that they are going to have to either play the games ($) the teams we're competing against do or be willing to take them down.  Up to now our coaches and admin seem to have been willing to do neither.  Some of these coaches being mentioned seem like the straightlaced type that aren't going to play the game and will likely struggle some in recruiting because of it.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic