Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

25 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

What I saw last night that impressed me was the OL.  We had 4 Freshman and a Junior starting.  Christian Jones is getting better.  Karic was solid.  Majors will be a starter from here on out.  Tyler Johnson looked good.  The next OL coach is walking into some talent.  

I think this after every bowl game. Then, we hit the next season, and someone like Tulsa or North Texas throws around our o-line like ragdolls. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

What I saw last night that impressed me was the OL.  We had 4 Freshman and a Junior starting.  Christian Jones is getting better.  Karic was solid.  Majors will be a starter from here on out.  Tyler Johnson looked good.  The next OL coach is walking into some talent.  

Hookfin had won the starting job before his shoulder injury.  Big things still expected from that kid as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

Let the countdown begin.  OSU loses to Clemson Friday about 11:00 p.m. eastern time. The game should no longer be in doubt around 10:30 I think.  

Urbs lets the team land in Columbus before making the calls. By 10:00 a.m. Sat. Urbs has reached out to son-in-law and gets immediate yes.  Urbs finishes all calls to other assistants and gets yes by noon.  It all depends upon when Urbs wants to make the announcement.  I would guess he would want to announce as quickly as possible, make announcement on campus at about 6:00 p.m.  6:00 p.m. gets the Aggy pregame audience and the garden variety weekend news audience, if there is such a thing.  

11 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Let the countdown begin.  OSU loses to Clemson Friday about 11:00 p.m. eastern time. The game should no longer be in doubt around 10:30 I think.  

Urbs lets the team land in Columbus before making the calls. By 10:00 a.m. Sat. Urbs has reached out to son-in-law and gets immediate yes.  Urbs finishes all calls to other assistants and gets yes by noon.  It all depends upon when Urbs wants to make the announcement.  I would guess he would want to announce as quickly as possible, make announcement on campus at about 6:00 p.m.  6:00 p.m. gets the Aggy pregame audience and the garden variety weekend news audience, if there is such a thing.  

I don't know shit about your timeline.

I don't have a deer lease with a BMD, nor am I very proficient at decoding the tweets of a self described squid and I've never even been to Horseshoe Bay, but if Urban isn't announced as the GM and HC of the Jacksonville Jaguars by Friday, then either he is coming to Texas or he ain't coaching at all.

I don't have a deer lease with a BMD, nor am I very proficient at decoding the tweets of a self described squid and I've never even been to Horseshoe Bay, but if Urban isn't announced as the GM and HC of the Jacksonville Jaguars by Friday, then either he is coming to Texas or he ain't coaching at all.

Doubt he’d be “announced” two days before the end of their season. Maybe rumors of an upcoming interview.

15 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Regardless, I’m leaning towards nothing to do with Texas 

8 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Standing up from a neutral table and randomly selecting from a pool of likely low true count tables is idiocy. Herman has severe issues but seems to be an elite game planner given his success in bowls including about Georgia (and don't give me the aggy talking points of them not wanting to be there. You don't try to score that hard down three possessions in the 4th if you don't want to be there), capable offensive mind, but poor at personnel decisions (which seems to reverberate into discord across the program) and prone to going overly conservative late in games.

To me the biggest issues I see is Herb Hand, which Auburn and Penn State fans warned us about and possibly the WR room. Sam was clearly injured most of the season and that showed in play which was unfortunate but that is no excuse for some of the poor WR play we saw. Herb Hand's OL play is just atrocious. For whatever reason we can't seem to hit there and it is beyond me.

If we can find an elite coach, I am happy to kick Herman to the curb and move on since I think the cupboard is very well stacked for an elite coach to come in and win a conference championship and go from there. I am not a loyalist to Herman by any means. But this over reactionary position causes us to miss the forest for the trees. We finally have good defensive line play, not just from stars, but on the whole. We look like we potentially have a great LB in Overshown. DB play has improved. The staff is finally balanced in terms of coaches one each side of the ball. We finally have a good defensive staff for the first time under Herman meaning the staff issue there is at least temporarily solved mitigating one of the worst issues of Herman imo. On the offensive side of the ball I wouldn't miss a single coach if they left, but with that being said, with the exception of Hand I am not sure any are terrible either and it is entirely possible that most issues are largely due to the OL sucking donkey balls. I think if we fire Hand and get someone reasonably decent there is no reason we can't win a conference title next year. Casey Thompson seems more than capable and Bijan is the truth. The defense is stout and should improve with another year under Ash. I would still be carefully watching for a replacement for Herman, with that all being said, but I am not sure right now there is a name that we can get (assuming we can't get Urban, Kelly, or Campbell) that gives me any reason to believe would be better.

Tl;dr Herman sucks, but you overestimate how much he sucks, everyone beyond the three listed suck more, and with our current staff should still be able to win despite all deficiencies discussed provided we fire Hand.

Sure, but the issue isn't the entire offense, it's particular. The offensive line blows chunks. If we fix the offensive line and are still seeing the offense randomly sputter out when it shouldn't then I would agree with you. Like I said a billion times I don't love Herman. His meddling does introduce issues. With that all being said, most of the solutions are cutting off our nose to spite our face. Like seriously some of the Plan 3.5 names or whatever the fuck these dumbass shit for brains 9.95ers are calling their idiotic suggestions are just terrible. I don't want shitty retreads that would be our version of Charlie Weiss. I don't want G5 coaches with less success than Herman when he came here. If we can get a coach that either had recent success in the NFL or P5 or had a better resume at the G5 level than Herman or Strong did when they got here, sign me the fuck up. If we can't, let's not shoot ourselves in the dick to prove that we know Herman has a big ego.

tenor.gif?itemid=4200663 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Harvdog said:

It's a zero-sum game. Colorado was so fuckin' bad that they made even our scrubs look good. 

Who should we look to beyond Meyer, Kelly, and Campbell that is both likely to come here and would be better than Herman?

Take your bitchassedness to another thread if you're going to casually try and sneak Campbell's name in with Meyer and Kelly's. Even Kelly we have a thread for. This thread is about why Herman needs to be fired and why he sucks, but mostly about how much better Urban is and why it would be worth it to throw ALL of our chips in that basket.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Take your bitchassedness to another thread if you're going to casually try and sneak Campbell's name in with Meyer and Kelly's. Even Kelly we have a thread for. This thread is about why Herman needs to be fired and why he sucks, but mostly about how much better Urban is and why it would be worth it to throw ALL of our chips in that basket.

Preach, Brother!

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ponies have BDE!  LFG. 

My fear is that CDC will take in last night's Alamo Bowl win from 30,000 feet and see a 7-3 team in a pandemic-shortened season, a dominating victory in our fourth consecutive bowl win, and a backup QB who showed the potential to play lights out for us in 2021, and think to himself, "Yeah, we're good with Herman."

I reserve the right to change my opinion when I start drinking.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

My fear is that CDC will take in last night's Alamo Bowl win from 30,000 feet and see a 7-3 team in a pandemic-shortened season, a dominating victory in our fourth consecutive bowl win, and a backup QB who showed the potential to play lights out for us in 2021, and think to himself, "Yeah, we're good with Herman."

I still have hope, based on what has been said by 'insiders' here and on the pay sites, that CDC isn't running this thing and keeping/firing Herman isn't his decision. 

2 hours ago, Harvdog said:

Herb Hand should be fucking fired.  We had 3 years to find a center and they invested everything in Ghirmai  who looked horrible from the start.  Only to move our all conference RT to Center.  These coaches simply do not know how to put the pieces together.  This should have been our fucking roster from the start.

QB:  Sam/with Casey mixed in every 4-5 drives with a package

RB:  Bijan starting with RoJo spelling him only when Bijan is tired.

LT:  Cosmi

RG:  Angilau

Center:  Majors

RG: Karic/Okafor

RT:  Kerstetter

WR:  Whittington/Smith at Slot, Moore/Dixon at Y, and Eagles at X.  

TE:  Wiley

That offense would have put up points from the start.  With regards to the OL, look at what Bama does.  They start all of their young talented tackles at guard.  Karic should have started there because he is head and shoulders better than Okafor.  If inside zone is not working with Ingram and your previous personnel, then find what your offense is good at and fucking run those schemes.  It's sad that they are just now learning that putting Bijan and Whittington in space is instant offense.  Where was this all fucking year?!?!  Bama and other programs get their 5 star backs incorporated day fucking 1.  We couldn't get Bijan up to speed on fucking outside zone earlier?  It's so frustrating.  It's a reflection of our head coach that simply believes his old offense works best regardless of players in there as long as they "execute".  He needs to learn to evolve, change, and utilize his team's strengths.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I get how someone with no balls could talk themselves into that. On paper it makes sense. 
But we have 4 years under Herman with the same shit over and over and over that says this is wishful thinking and wish casting, and the talent aquisition problems in recruiting and the portal says we’ve seen the high water mark of this regime, it’s not good enough, and continued time on the 40 will make the problems worse not better. 

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The question is what is the same page they keep telling Fat Ketch they are supposedly on.  There are two possibilities and he doesn't really indicate which one he has "heard". 

Fucking Fat Ketch.

Fat Ketch: (regardless of what happens) "See? I predicted this. I was right all along."

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, South Austin said:

CDC is not making the decision anymore. It’s out of his hands and those in charge are all committed to the upgrade. If anything, last night made it easier to find Herman a landing spot. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

CDC is not making the decision anymore. It’s out of his hands and those in charge are all committed to the upgrade. If anything, last night made it easier to find Herman a landing spot. 

Why is it up to us to find Herman a landing spot?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

Its not 'up to us' - but a good landing spot for Herman means a significantly reduced buyout. 

*and I expect Herman will have a pretty decent choices available to him.  It didn't work out here - but he did put up a 32-18 record including 4-0 in bowls.  Some school is going to be impressed enough to make him a good offer.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, taybo20 said:

It's not.  That's a made up thing that our fanbase seems obsessed with.  The same thing was said about Shaka.  

Colleges don't find "landing spots" for coaches they are about to fire. 

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I don't think he means us specifically but rather last night made it easier for Herman himself to find a landing spot. Which as Hiphop pointed out it would decrease the value we owe Herman.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

We’re a 9-4 team this year. W @kansas and the grimme game. L to LSU (given Herman’s penchant to get out coached). Is that enough to save him?  

Tcu ( the late fumble) and ISU (take the fg and later, don’t take the sack) were W’s that got away. We had a squad to make the playoffs. Urban has to see that. 

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its not 'up to us' - but a good landing spot for Herman means a significantly reduced buyout. 

Gotcha! I hope it is that easy. I just don't see any place that has money to spend to reduce a buyout going after Herman. More like a group of 5 where we may still be paying part of the salary

Edited by taybo20

43 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Herb Hand should be fucking fired.  We had 3 years to find a center and they invested everything in Ghirmai  who looked horrible from the start.  Only to move our all conference RT to Center.  These coaches simply do not know how to put the pieces together.  This should have been our fucking roster from the start.

QB:  Sam/with Casey mixed in every 4-5 drives with a package

RB:  Bijan starting with RoJo spelling him only when Bijan is tired.

LT:  Cosmi

RG:  Angilau

Center:  Majors

RG: Karic/Okafor

RT:  Kerstetter

WR:  Whittington/Smith at Slot, Moore/Dixon at Y, and Eagles at X.  

TE:  Wiley

That offense would have put up points from the start.  With regards to the OL, look at what Bama does.  They start all of their young talented tackles at guard.  Karic should have started there because he is head and shoulders better than Okafor.  If inside zone is not working with Ingram and your previous personnel, then find what your offense is good at and fucking run those schemes.  It's sad that they are just now learning that putting Bijan and Whittington in space is instant offense.  Where was this all fucking year?!?!  Bama and other programs get their 5 star backs incorporated day fucking 1.  We couldn't get Bijan up to speed on fucking outside zone earlier?  It's so frustrating.  It's a reflection of our head coach that simply believes his old offense works best regardless of players in there as long as they "execute".  He needs to learn to evolve, change, and utilize his team's strengths.

What the hell is that?  There is nothing dynamic that Casey brings that he needs a package for him....  If he plays it's because he beats out Same or whomever else there is on the team.  He isn't some dynamic change of pace that you create a package around.....

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Gotcha! I hope it is that easy. I just don't see any place that has money to spend to reduce a buyout going after Herman. More like a group of 5 where we may still be paying part of the salary

The vast majority of it. If that dumbfuck Charlie Strong can figure it out . . .