Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

Much of the Texas internet is working itself into a frenzy by assuming Urban Meyer to Texas is all but done.

I don’t want to pour cold water on you, but some of you need it. From our vantage point, it’s not done. We know Texas hasn’t been told ‘no’ so that’s a win in itself at this late juncture, but too may are putting the quarterback ahead of the center.

There is a lot of misdirection out there right now (Steve Sarkisian? Lol, but I heard it too). I believe what my sources are hearing, but I’m not always believing what they’re hearing. Meaning, sources are acting in good faith, but they might not be hearing accurate info despite how close they are to the epicenter.

Urban Meyer

For those who are new, when we title a thread with a name only it’s bad news. It’s a respectful trigger warning that tells the reader “enter at your own risk.” That doesn’t apply to headings, but I’ll post the negatives we’ve heard recently under ‘name only’.

— We have an agent who is adamant Meyer isn’t going to take the job. He isn’t Urban’s agent, but we know him quite well. I’ve used his information in the past and when he would tell me Random Coach X was either taking a job or declining a job, I’ve always believed him in the past. He mentioned Urban Meyer golfing in Northern California before a picture made its way to the world wide Surly. He also said he and Shelley were wine tasting in Napa earlier this week. This doesn’t sound like a coach in deep negotiations. Could it be that he’s just getting some R&R in before the stress resumes? That’s plausible, but doesn’t necessarily fit his profile. Fortunately, misdirection does, and it’s possible he’s leading the agent astray.

— The agent said, perhaps hyperbolically, ”Fox will pay him more than he made at Florida.” He’s making over a million now and was “only“ making $4 million or so when he left Gainesville. It’s nowhere close to what Texas would pay him.

— We’ve heard Meyer will struggle to get his entire crew back together: that is Marotti, Pantoni, and other key infrastructure personnel. The reason given is he’s extremely demanding to work for. Hearing that reminds me of talking to former Saban employees. They’re grateful for the experience but their employment has a shelf life. However, we feel he’d bring at least one of his key guys. Marotti (S&C) is happy in Columbus but money talks.

— In the last couple days I haven’t talked to anyone outside of the Texas ecosystem who thinks Meyer will be the next coach. There does seem to be more people taking it seriously, though.

Clearly a lot of people are late to this development. They might still be getting their bearings.

On Urban Meyer

The ‘on’ does a lot of work for Inside Texas thread titles. This is good news, or at a minimum not bad news, which is all you can hope for the last decade. It doesn‘t apply to headers but the board needs more reps.

— Despite the rumors and chatter we have not heard it’s done. UT officials are ‘okay’ with where the current position is. Key officials have Texas as a very slight favorite to pull the hire off. Call it a real coin flip from their POV.

— Urban’s “control” requests have been met with nods of approval.

— We’ve heard the daughters are on board but Shelley is still a bit hesitant. She’s Urban when it comes to this — she won’t give up her position. If the daughters are on board, she is too. And yes, Corey Dennis, Urban’s son-in-law who coaches at Ohio State, would be in line for a big raise if he wanted it.

— At the same time Bobby was getting ready to make his much emulated Wednesday post, Justin forwarded information that corroborated: “Texas is about to make one final big push.” That alone tells you: A) he’s not a yes B) he’s not a no. (As does the information we’ve presented about Texas working contingency angles)

— Was that final push to close the deal, or make one last ditch effort? We don’t know that answer but the sense is the push has been a positive.

— Health issues aren’t going to scuttle the deal per two sources on Wednesday.

— There’s a key figure throughout this ordeal that we’ll shed more info on later, but it’s a pro-Texas figure.

— There seems to be a slight upward trend in confidence on the Texas side. After a positive weekend, Monday wasn’t a great day on my news front. Tuesday only slightly better. Let’s see what Thursday brings.

The info and fact patterns would have me feeling optimistic like everyone else, but the stuff we’ve heard from the agent is giving me pause. Also, this isn’t ordinary agent games for reasons I can’t divulge. But we know how to read through agent BS.

In short, we feel good about what we’ve heard on the Texas side but much less so externally. The way these things go, if Texas is a ‘no’ they’d probably be the last to know.

#####

First note: We’re not going to post anything of substance outside of the ops. If you’re on page 14 that’s because you‘re engulfed in the Horseshoe Bae ceiling fan flight aware circus like everyone else.

The easiest thing to help you cut through the noise and find the signal is to click on our names and hit ‘follow’.

We won’t get to a point where we let you down slow. Urban’s either going to be in or out and that’s when we’ll hit you with the hammer or errant champagne cork.

That’s likely Freya’s Day at the earliest or Mani’s Day a.m. at the latest.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

People will be shocked to see how much speed we actually have when they're being coached correctly and in the correct positions. 

we have a few.  we aren't slow.  we are above average for sure.  I'm talking about having 2 or 3 guys that can really move and not just straight line speed.

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Apparently, Texas is chock full of shitty towns.  Let's talk about cool towns; better mojo.   

It's hard to beat Gruene, TX on a beautiful spring evening.  One of the best nights of my life was at a Jerry Jeff concert in Gruene Hall on just such an evening.  

Thats nice and all but this is Surly. We prefer to shit on things

41 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Shocking lack of B/CS for worst texas cities btw...

hey now, a couple weeks ago I personally saw a greeter at the Walmart on Briarcrest in Bryan refuse entry to a dude wearing socks but no shoes, that's fucking high class shit right there.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

Hearne, TX is the worst city in the state. I get depressed every time I go through it.

When I was running title in Robertson County the local Sheriff told me then that Hearne led the state in the number of drug seizures (not amount). Apparently due to its proximity between 35 and 45, as well as being a crossroad in between.

Also, Franklin is a great small town. 

12 minutes ago, WBT said:

I challenge you to name a better town on the interstate between Ft Stockton and El Paso

Balmorhea at least has the pool. 

As for Van Horn, back in the '70s I had the greatest hot shower of my life there. But only because my dad and I had just come out of the mountains to the north, where we'd been hunting mule deer on a remote ranch for a week and sleeping in an old shed that had been a goat pen in a former life. No running water at all.

So...any port in a storm. Even Port Arthur.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

Balmorhea at least has the pool. 

As for Van Horn, back in the '70s I had the greatest hot shower of my life there. But only because my dad and I had just come out of the mountains to the north, where we'd been hunting mule deer on a remote ranch for a week and sleeping in an old shed that had been a goat pen in a former life. No running water at all.

So...any port in a storm. Even Port Arthur.  

Been there.  Except it was a shitty Motel 6 in New Mexico after spending close to a week on the mountain.  

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

Much of the Texas internet is working itself into a frenzy by assuming Urban Meyer to Texas is all but done.

I don’t want to pour cold water on you, but some of you need it. From our vantage point, it’s not done. We know Texas hasn’t been told ‘no’ so that’s a win in itself at this late juncture, but too may are putting the quarterback ahead of the center.

There is a lot of misdirection out there right now (Steve Sarkisian? Lol, but I heard it too). I believe what my sources are hearing, but I’m not always believing what they’re hearing. Meaning, sources are acting in good faith, but they might not be hearing accurate info despite how close they are to the epicenter.

Urban Meyer

For those who are new, when we title a thread with a name only it’s bad news. It’s a respectful trigger warning that tells the reader “enter at your own risk.” That doesn’t apply to headings, but I’ll post the negatives we’ve heard recently under ‘name only’.

— We have an agent who is adamant Meyer isn’t going to take the job. He isn’t Urban’s agent, but we know him quite well. I’ve used his information in the past and when he would tell me Random Coach X was either taking a job or declining a job, I’ve always believed him in the past. He mentioned Urban Meyer golfing in Northern California before a picture made its way to the world wide Surly. He also said he and Shelley were wine tasting in Napa earlier this week. This doesn’t sound like a coach in deep negotiations. Could it be that he’s just getting some R&R in before the stress resumes? That’s plausible, but doesn’t necessarily fit his profile. Fortunately, misdirection does, and it’s possible he’s leading the agent astray.

— The agent said, perhaps hyperbolically, ”Fox will pay him more than he made at Florida.” He’s making over a million now and was “only“ making $4 million or so when he left Gainesville. It’s nowhere close to what Texas would pay him.

— We’ve heard Meyer will struggle to get his entire crew back together: that is Marotti, Pantoni, and other key infrastructure personnel. The reason given is he’s extremely demanding to work for. Hearing that reminds me of talking to former Saban employees. They’re grateful for the experience but their employment has a shelf life. However, we feel he’d bring at least one of his key guys. Marotti (S&C) is happy in Columbus but money talks.

— In the last couple days I haven’t talked to anyone outside of the Texas ecosystem who thinks Meyer will be the next coach. There does seem to be more people taking it seriously, though.

Clearly a lot of people are late to this development. They might still be getting their bearings.

On Urban Meyer

The ‘on’ does a lot of work for Inside Texas thread titles. This is good news, or at a minimum not bad news, which is all you can hope for the last decade. It doesn‘t apply to headers but the board needs more reps.

— Despite the rumors and chatter we have not heard it’s done. UT officials are ‘okay’ with where the current position is. Key officials have Texas as a very slight favorite to pull the hire off. Call it a real coin flip from their POV.

— We’ve heard the daughters are on board but Shelley is still a bit hesitant. She’s Urban when it comes to this — she won’t give up her position. If the daughters are on board, she is too. And yes, Corey Dennis, Urban’s son-in-law who coaches at Ohio State, would be in line for a big raise if he wanted it.

— At the same time Bobby was getting ready to make his much emulated Wednesday post, Justin forwarded information that corroborated: “Texas is about to make one final big push.” That alone tells you: A) he’s not a yes B) he’s not a no. (As does the information we’ve presented about Texas working contingency angles)

— Was that final push to close the deal, or make one last ditch effort? We don’t know that answer but the sense is the push has been a positive.

— There’s a key figure throughout this ordeal that we’ll shed more info on later, but it’s a pro-Texas figure.

— There seems to be a slight upward trend in confidence on the Texas side. After a positive weekend, Monday wasn’t a great day on my news front. Tuesday only slightly better. Let’s see what Thursday brings.

The info and fact patterns would have me feeling optimistic like everyone else, but the stuff we’ve heard from the agent is giving me pause. Also, this isn’t ordinary agent games for reasons I can’t divulge. But we know how to read through agent BS.

In short, we feel good about what we’ve heard on the Texas side but much less so externally. The way these things go, if Texas is a ‘no’ they’d probably be the last to know.

#####

First note: We’re not going to post anything of substance outside of the ops. If you’re on page 14 that’s because you‘re engulfed in the Horseshoe Bae ceiling fan flight aware circus like everyone else.

The easiest thing to help you cut through the noise and find the signal is to click on our names and hit ‘follow’.

We won’t get to a point where we let you down slow. Urban’s either going to be in or out and that’s when we’ll hit you with the hammer or errant champagne cork.

Whatever. Have you seen the drapes and Flightaware?  Not even getting into how Kendra Scott's ex is our heavy. I've put too much work into research on hotel websites, plane websites and sun charts. It's a done deal fellas. 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

Urban Meyer

On Urban Meyer

#####

Like clockwork here comes the hedging. Hope it’s nothing

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

There are parts of Far East Texas along the highway near Louisiana that have to be much worse than Bastrop. 

My wife has some land near Toledo Bend that we hunt sometimes.  Those towns -- Hemphill, San Augustine, Pineland, Bronson -- make Bastrop look like the French Riviera.

• Like 1

I'll agree that there are shittier places than Corsicana and someone above was right about the bakery at least having clean bathrooms, but it's not good when your big selling points are fruit cake, clean bathrooms and a HEB.  There are way crappier places between Waco and Tyler, namely Brownsboro, Kerens, Malakoff, etc...all bad.

That said, Waco is still the absolute fucking worst.

If you boil it down to its essence - Burton's BOR scoop and the mainstream outlets picking the story up - even if it's a what-if or opinion piece - is a good sign.  All the chatter is discounted 100% and the flightaware stuff seems to at least partially corroborate Burton's scoop.
twitter squid, curtaingate, Mrs. Meyer's cryptic "lol" twitter responses, all mean close to nothing.  scratch that, they mean nothing.  they make it fun. 

Oddly, Mrs. Meyer's cryptic Twitter responses are the most direct, publicly available evidence that (1) there have indeed been talks between TX and Meyer, and (2) Meyer has not said no. The only reason for cryptic responses is if a deal is in the works or has been finalized but not announced.

That's not any groundbreaking revelation, but it's straight from Shelly Meyer instead of being related fourth hand from someone who probably read it on surly to begin with.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Which 9.95'r is that? It's not hedging.  None of these guys really know what's going on, except maybe Burton, but at this point I don't trust him either. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My wife has some land near Toledo Bend that we hunt sometimes.  Those towns -- Hemphill, San Augustine, Pineland, Bronson -- make Bastrop look like the French Riviera.

Fucking truth ^^^

1 hour ago, Texasrocks said:

How did we make it 230 pages without a Ford vs Chevy debate? Also, anyone who thinks Killeen is the worst town in Texas hasn't spent enough time in east Texas.

1 hour ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

East TX to me is about the trees and rapid increase in rednecks.  I don't know the exact formula but you know when you enter it. 

Fuck y'all city slickers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 936horn said:

2 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I take this as more of a "Hey, don't go to Surly. Look at me. Stay here, and pay me" than hedging.

It’s not theater. The people tracking this accurately are some of the most pessimistic fuckheads around. Truth is, actual journalism should make skeptics of anyone in the profession. My view is that, absurdly, most of the real journalism being done these days is tucked neatly into the sports realm. 

I had a friend reel off like 10 reasons why not last night and he wants/needs it to happen as bad as anyone. If he’d written Nahlin’s article, this board would be devolving into some sort of serious version of the gang fight in Anchorman. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

It's crazy to imagine that some day in the distant future, someone is going to pull this thread up on the classics board and read all 700 pages of it.

And imagine their utter amazement when they discover it ended up being Matt Campbell that was hired.

***ducks***

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

It’s not theater. The people tracking this accurately are some of the most pessimistic fuckheads around. Truth is, actual journalism should make skeptics of anyone in the profession. My view is that, absurdly, most of the real journalism being done these days is tucked neatly into the sports realm. 

I had a friend reel off like 10 reasons why not last night and he wants/needs it to happen as bad as anyone. If he’d written Nahlin’s article, this board would be devolving into some sort of serious version of the gang fight in Anchorman. 

My trident is ready and waiting, fuckers.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Hypothetical - I give you a billion dollars but the stipulation is that you can never leave the city limits of Abilene for the rest of your life. Do you take it? 

For context, the first time I went to a strip club in Abilene, one of the 4 dancers out there that night had a prosthetic leg and a baby bump. We ranked her 3 out of 4. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, CastHorn said:

Chip apparently has an update coming out at noon. I expect more hedging to stretch this thing out until Saturday afternoon. 

All these guys are trying to get new subscribers. Of all people FCB knows jack shit. He will keep fucking some bullshit story just to drive clicks. He is a piece of utter shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic