Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

8 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Never once failed to walk out of the water in Galveston without a little crude oil blob somewhere on my legs. I asked my mom about it since she had been going to Galveston beaches since the 1940s, and she confirmed the same experience. 

They're not horrible beaches, but people go on and on about Destin/Clearwater/Pensacola, FL, are better, and I don't doubt it.

I live in Pensacola, and it is incomparable.  My wife won't put her feet in the water in a Texas beach.  To be fair, the Florida beaches from Jacksonville to south of Daytona aren't much better than Galveston, but no oil blobs.  

All this to say that the Meyers lived in Florida long enough to know that Florida is a great place to vacation, especially the beaches in and around Tampa / Clearwater / Sarasota, which are the best ones close to Gainesville.  Everyone curious about that stop should understand they probably have friends in Tampa and Sarasota along with the alleged family contacts there.  I'm sure they go quite often. 

Contrary to some opinions, Urban and family are still welcome on the UF campus.  Urban even donned a UF shirt for Tebow's induction into the ring of honor.

Worst place is Killeen. My Dad was on Harker Heights City council for almost 20 years, my step mom is related to Killeens founders and my mother was a counselor with security clearance for officers at Ft. Hood. I could tell you tell you stories all day that would make your jaw drop. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

this is all part of the sequence, yes we dramatize and shit but we usually get the circumstantial evidence close enough to give a real handicap and it's much higher than a coin flip.  probably 80% or higher based on all the pieces put together, regardless of what hotel room the curtains signal.  Then the 995ers have something to say that let's us say, "see toldya" and that was Burton.  Then the shit rags say it's done trying to get followers.  Then the big outlets with credibility to maintain start talking about the rumors.  yesterday SI was still in the what-if stage and now rivals has an opinion piece that says he will take the job, folks that's one step away from a credible source saying it's done.  There will be a few more like this, but the ESPN ticker is days away.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Are we talking about which town is geographically the worst (like flat, hot, no water, barren), the town that is the ugliest construct (most dilapidated homes and businesses, just a run-down shithole), or the the town with the worst people (jobless, ugly, and stupid)?  because those are three different metrics, and some towns certainly hit all 3.  

You LITERALLY (I know the definition) described Odessa, especially when oil is down. Flat, no lakes or rivers, dead grass and tumbleweeds, tallest building may be 6 stories, the city streets lined with greasy, dirty oil-field support companies that may or may not be operational, and filled with many rootless people who travel town to town, looking for their next temporary gig. And when the economy picks up, the merchants price gouge the fuck out of you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

Worst place is Killeen. My Dad was on Harker Heights City council for almost 20 years, my step mom is related to Killeens founders and my mother was a counselor with security clearance for officers at Ft. Hood. I could tell you tell you stories all day that would make your jaw drop. 

We apparently have the time...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

My hope is over 50/50 - if they are talking about the nitty gritty details, that has to be a hugely positive thing...moving beyond $ in general to me is a huge thing.

Does that mean it is going to happen? Like anyone can even know that. But it is at least good news in the scheme of things

Meyer is detail oriented. I imagine he's going to negotiate the deal to it's absolute max, and till he has pretty much whatever he wants and can live with, as well as an idea of some of his key staff pieces. Then he'll sit back and back the actual call if he wants to return. I don't think he's too far ahead of himself. And like I said, I think positive momentum psychologically might be in our favor. Or the guy has been playing golf and drinking wine all week and is fucking with Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In this situation, are coaches who deem themselves worthy having their agents make a call in the event UM decides not to coach anymore? I don't think it goes that way, but if it did, it would good to know who wants the job enough to be reaching out. Has Harsin told his guy to call a guy to say a thing?

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My advice to all of you is to read Irish's post a ways up, and to focus real hard on talking about towns, beaches, bourbons, burgers and whatever today's delightful topic of distraction soon to be ordained.

That being said, I know my audience so it's immediately going to be disregarded, but we're chasing a bunch of guys capitalizing on clicks. I don't think anyone knows shut yet, not us, and definitely not those OSU morons being pasted into this thread.

My gut still says at best we're at 50/50. And as other's have pointed out, timing, and sorting out details and all that other shit matters. That being said I still feel slightly more confident than yesterday that Meyer seems to have decided he can coach again. Now, does he get his guys, his demands, etc? We'll see. But if he got over that psychological hump, even barely, I'd hope the positive momentum in his brain picks up speed in our favor. 

Ya, I don't like being the one to pour cold water on the enthusiasm, especially since several weeks ago I said Urban was/is in play (which he was/is). The problem is that the latest intel hasn't been good on the hire Urban front. I'm searching for some sign of a positive change since Saturday.  For example, if he were in Horseshoe Bay sometime between Sunday to Wednesday, then it would be a very good sign. I've discounted the 9.95'rs because they could either be fed bs or making up bs, just like during the Saban flirtation.

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Vidor?

Outside of the nationally recognized and televised racism, the murder billboards, and apparent police corruption (see the murder billboards), Vidor seems unremarkable compared to the rest of its Golden Triangle counterparts.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Meyer is detail oriented. I imagine he's going to negotiate the deal to it's absolute max, and till he has pretty much whatever he wants and can live with, as well as an idea of some of his key staff pieces. Then he'll sit back and back the actual call if he wants to return. I don't think he's too far ahead of himself. And like I said, I think positive momentum psychologically might be in our favor. Or the guy has been playing golf and drinking wine all week and is fucking with Herman. 

I think the finer details have been hashed out, now we're in a holding pattern for Urban to test how true we were to our word. We won't announce until he says to announce. As others who have credibility with things like this in the past is that we have a verbal. 

We have to continue to paly this perfect or it crashes and burns.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is that why you hate the poors now?

They’re my people, sir. No hate at all. 

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

It’s been 10 long years of suffering...idk if I can do it anymore. So I’ll take 2 please

It’s been 11 years. Let’s mark our nuclear winter correctly. 

52 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

After growing up in Texas, I now live on Florida's Gulf Coast. Destin and PCB are nice, but the best beaches in the Continental US are Siesta Key, Lido Key,  and Ana Maria Island. Sugar Sand and clear emerald water.

Clearwater is beautiful, but overcrowded and full of tourist.

All of this talk about beaches in Florida from folks in Texas is insane. It takes the same amount of time to fly into the Pacific coast of Costa Rica as it does to get to these places in Florida, within an hour-ish. There it is way cheaper, with zero rednecks, better food and more shit to do. We go every year (#fuckcorona) and spend less money than people who pride themselves on being fucking cheap who live around us.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Both Killeen and Lufkin can at least offer some decent outdoor recreation options on the edge of the hill country and in the piney woods, respectively. I’m not about to move to either one but they at least have that and a general lack of big city traffic clusterfuck going for them without being ridiculously far from Austin or Houston.

The undisputed wasteland of Texas is the Permian Basin/High Plains from Midland/Odessa up through Lubbock, Amarillo, and the Panhandle. Not a single redeeming feature. Ugly, flared gas, dust, and cow shit saturating the air, far as hell from anything remotely appealing, natural or man made. Except Palo Duro I guess. There really isn’t a discussion to be had.

Because Conroe and points south are the Houston area.

Conroe didn't feel like Houston when I was growing up, but yeah it pretty much is at this point. I'm pretty confident in saying that Houston does not wish to claim the surrounding towns of Willis or Cut and Shoot (yes that's a real place). I can tell you from personal experience that women from Willis don't smoke cigarettes after sex, they prefer a dip of Skoal.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

It seems he knows, something, but we're not sure what. He's been bullish the whole time and had insight and timing for the Ewers commitment and decommit and OSU commit.

Front running a prediction and not changing your opinion doesn't mean you actually know anything 

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn.....I went to sleep last night really feeling it, swingn n sway'n to that surly kick drum beat....now it's morning and it's fading. Reached for what I thought was the pillows and I think I grabbed turtles butt cheeks instead....fuckers still here! 

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lulz. Actual lulz at some of the cities/towns being listed here. It’s obvious many of y’all have never been to Port Arthur. The entire downtown is abandoned and crumbling buildings. I know a Motiva bought a couple to fix up, but not sure if that was shelved. But the Sabine and the rest of downtown is a dump. You can either buy a house next to a refinery, next to the “mall” or if you are real fucking fancy, you buy in Nederland. Fucking Nederland.

Also, Tacoma. 183,000 miles and the most I have spent on non maintenance type repairs was $40.

You don’t put Mayo on any food. You can put your own Mayo on tits though. At least that is what I like to do.

Is Herman fired yet? I would love to be a fly on the wall in his office this week.

I'm from Port Arthur, still live here as a matter of fact. It is depressing, Jefferson County as a whole is kinda depressing. The city is obsessed with building further out to mid-county and the downtown has been neglected for decades. Rita did a number on us and Harvey came and finished the job, a lot of people haven't returned. A lot of people my age moved to Houston because there's simply more to do out there. 

We do have good football and basketball teams though. Kids that come out of the triangle are usually dogs on the court or field. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 4:52 PM, KYHorn said:

I will say, I did some digging into the Squid/RapGame/BevoBlvd accounts and I think they at least have some pretty strong Texas and sporting connections. They've been adamant about UM for quite awhile and did call the Ewers commitment, decommitment, and tOSU commitment.

Just bringing this back. I'm pretty certain they are connected to inside info to some extent. We took it skeptically when they were calling it back in early October, but they have come through on some things since then. Still need some healthy skepticism, but there was definitely more smoke yesterday between all the 995er, tOSU reporters, etc that I think justifies increased optimism. To what extent depends on if you're an optimist or satyanist.

8 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

It seems he knows, something, but we're not sure what. He's been bullish the whole time and had insight and timing for the Ewers commitment and decommit and OSU commit.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hobbs said:

Has the Palace decided whether this Larry character knows shit or not?

Someone on here did the work, and without naming names, Larry (and the Squid Crew) seem to be people who could possibly receive some information.
I'm starting to further call into question the use of the horseshoe emojis etc... by the Squid and Blvd accounts yesterday based on the possibility the room we see Urban in is actually in Cali, but I'm not 100% sure either way. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, ousux said:
11 hours ago, Texasrocks said:
My dad says Cooper's in Llano went downhill a few years ago. Though I thought that was because the guy who started Opie's left.

Its true, passed through there about 2 years ago and had to use a knife to cut the meat from my beef rib, and the brisket was a little dry. Would have taken it back, but they all came from the same pit..

This makes me sad

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Conroe didn't feel like Houston when I was growing up, but yeah it pretty much is at this point. I'm pretty confident in saying that Houston does not wish to claim the surrounding towns of Willis or Cut and Shoot (yes that's a real place). 

What you talking 'bout Willis?

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All of this talk about beaches in Florida from folks in Texas is insane. It takes the same amount of time to fly into the Pacific coast of Costa Rica as it does to get to these places in Florida, within an hour-ish. There it is way cheaper, with zero rednecks, better food and more shit to do. We go every year (#fuckcorona) and spend less money than people who pride themselves on being fucking cheap who live around us.

Mind sharing the names of some places down there yall recommend?

24 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Last time my wife and I went to Galveston we ended up going the back way through Lake Jackson (from Austin). I don't remember names, but there are a couple of little towns along that last stretch of road maybe an hour before you get to Lake Jackson. I've been all over the country and those are some of the most depressing places I've driven through. Little town squares that obviously used to be nice little places that are now dead and falling apart. Food desert wastelands. Comparable in sadness and plight to some of the really hood areas around Memphis and the squalor on the drive between Nashville and the Florida panhandle. 

Gonzalez is the same way. Also the cannon is a cannon for ants.

I didn't consider those towns in the "biggest shithole" places because they're not big enough to register, but they are depressing as hell.

I have a little fishing cabin in Sargent.  Talk about a dump.  I once saw a woman on meth where the Texaco refused to sell her Hunt Bros Pizza because she was too stoned.

There are some nice houses on Caney Creek about a mile inland from the ICW.

The Golden Triangle is the shittiest part of the state I have been in.  Vidor and Port Arthur are the two worst. At least the shitty south Texas towns have good Mexican food and big ranches with money around them.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ya, I don't like being the one to pour cold water on the enthusiasm, especially since several weeks ago I said Urban was/is in play (which he was/is). The problem is that the latest intel hasn't been good on the hire Urban front. I'm searching for some sign of a positive change since Saturday.  For example, if he were in Horseshoe Bay sometime between Sunday to Wednesday, then it would be a very good sign. I've discounted the 9.95'rs because they could either be fed bs or making up bs, just like during the Saban flirtation.

You should trade notes with @Caddox

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They’re my people, sir. No hate at all. 

It’s been 11 years. Let’s mark our nuclear winter correctly. 

Yeah, you can fly to Belize in 2.5 hours from Houston.  It's beautiful, relatively cheap and everyone speaks English and accepts US money.

Edited by kevwun

“Not a negative but as I said last night I can't with certainty confirm the verbal agreement after a few calls I had this morning. Texas feels good about where they are. Better than yesterday. The verbal may very well be real but this will not break on twitter. We wait. That is where it is.” - AlumniHorn over on 24/7

Looks like y’all might be talking shitty Texas towns for at least another day.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

We apparently have the time...

Cool, I’ll start off light.

you know that there is a pedophilia ring that is about 40 years old centered in Killeen that is run by former police officers and local politicians that deals in Korean and Vietnamese girls in the 12-16 age rage? 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

Damn.....I went to sleep last night really feeling it, swingn n sway'n to that surly kick drum beat....now it's morning and it's fading. Reached for what I thought was the pillows and I think I grabbed turtles butt cheeks instead....fuckers still here! 

Runge is also a shithole.

2 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

I had to try a case in Odessa, but we stayed in Midland. At the FIVE STAR ELEGÁNTE HOTEL, which is five stars because it's in the name. Highlights of the trial were thus:

-Dwarf biker gang hanging out at the pool getting absolutely shitfaced

-The Lobby has a "Jungle Theme" complete with stuffed tigers (not taxidermy tigers, literal full-sized, stuffed-animal tigers like, from the state fair) and dusty fake greenery

-The Hotel bar/restaurant also houses a Tuesday (I think) Karaoke night. We ate in there one Tuesday and there was just one lady doing Karaoke and cartwheels with no underpants on. This is someone you would want to wear underpants.

-Ate at a chili's probably twenty times (best food close by) and saw Quiet Riot in there having dinner before a show. It was the single most depressing sight I've ever seen.

But if you stayed in Odessa, you could have enjoyed drunken fights in the hotel parking lot every night at 2:00 am.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Cool, I’ll start off light.

you know that there is a pedophilia ring that is about 40 years old centered in Killeen that is run by former police officers and local politicians that deals in Korean and Vietnamese girls in the 12-16 age rage? 

nevermind

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have a little fishing cabin in Sargent.  Talk about a dump.  I once saw a woman on meth where the Texaco refused to sell her Hunt Bros Pizza because she was too stoned.

The Golden Triangle is the shittiest part of the state I have been in.  Vidor and Port Arthur are the two worst. At least the shitty south Texas towns have good Mexican food and big ranches with money around them.

Yeah, but it was glorious as a teenager drinking beer and driving around the dirt roads by the canals without a care in the world because the only cop in town didn't actually patrol.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

47 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Well if Clay Travis thinks it’s happening we’re likely fucked

Not really.   He’s an sec honk who would hate for us to land urban

45 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I assume everyone's source other than maybe Burton is surly.

Yep.  Echo chamber.   IT may have the goods but I don’t trust anyone else.  And to my knowledge, no 9.95er has called it.  I hope this ends well

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If you boil it down to its essence - Burton's BOR scoop and the mainstream outlets picking the story up - even if it's a what-if or opinion piece - is a good sign.  All the chatter is discounted 100% and the flightaware stuff seems to at least partially corroborate Burton's scoop.

twitter squid, curtaingate, Mrs. Meyer's cryptic "lol" twitter responses, all mean close to nothing.  scratch that, they mean nothing.  they make it fun. 

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Meth and towns near fishing camps sort of go hand in hand I think. The gas stations and little spot towns on the way to my uncle's fishing camp down past Bayou Lafourche in Louisiana are like meth Iraq. First time I went through there as a kid that grew up in white bread burbs of Austin, that was a culture shock. I didn't even know stuff like that existed. Literal lean-tos and barefoot strung out skeletons walking around.

But my uncle also had a killer stack of 80s playboys so as a teenager I loved that place.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

I had to try a case in Odessa, but we stayed in Midland. At the FIVE STAR ELEGÁNTE HOTEL, which is five stars because it's in the name. Highlights of the trial were thus:

-Dwarf biker gang hanging out at the pool getting absolutely shitfaced

-The Lobby has a "Jungle Theme" complete with stuffed tigers (not taxidermy tigers, literal full-sized, stuffed-animal tigers like, from the state fair) and dusty fake greenery

-The Hotel bar/restaurant also houses a Tuesday (I think) Karaoke night. We ate in there one Tuesday and there was just one lady doing Karaoke and cartwheels with no underpants on. This is someone you would want to wear underpants.

-Ate at a chili's probably twenty times (best food close by) and saw Quiet Riot in there having dinner before a show. It was the single most depressing sight I've ever seen.

Elegante Hotel menu........Chili’s 20 times.....prepare your anus......

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic