Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

6 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I went to school with a girl named Taylor Taylor Taylor. She HATED her name. I know she got it legally changed when she went to college and got it changed again when married. Parents can be brutal when they don't need to be.

I had a best friend named J. Linda. He married a woman named Linda Handleman....married name? Why Linda Linda of course. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Parents who try and be "cute" and give their kids these names are the fucking worst.

My buddy wanted to name his first kid (a girl) after his dad, who has a unisex type of name. His dad said, please don't, I hate my name. They did it anyway but spelled it all fucked up, just to be different I guess. Years later, he told me "I regret that. She's gonna have people pronouncing her name wrong for the rest of her life". 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

My buddy wanted to name his first kid (a girl) after his dad, who has a unisex type of name. His dad said, please don't, I hate my name. They did it anyway but spelled it all fucked up, just to be different I guess. Years later, he told me "I regret that. She's gonna have people pronouncing her name wrong for the rest of her life". 

I told my son that my only advice In naming their kid is to not give them a name that they will have to spell every day of their life. He responded, “Like Stephen?” His name, of course, is Stephen instead of Steven. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Can’t spell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I used to coach baseball with a friend whose wife, Janet, named their three boys Jarrett, Jarrick, and Jarren. He always seemed a bit irritated that he had to emphasize the last syllable to get the correct boy’s attention.

As opposed to being annoyed at how ridiculously white his wife obviously was?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I went to school with a girl named Taylor Taylor Taylor. She HATED her name. I know she got it legally changed when she went to college and got it changed again when married. Parents can be brutal when they don't need to be.

image.png.81644db7c1b2ad7f50ca277d77a81600.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dad is a Jr. First name is Estil. I asked why he didn’t name me the third one time. His response, “I’ve been called Biff my whole life and it isn’t because I liked my real name. I sure as hell ain’t passing it on to you.”

9 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Traffic light is out on Bee Cave Rd.  Sheriff is at said light with his lights on and sitting in the vehicle doing jack shit.  All the while, it took 15 minutes to get through the light because he refused to get out and direct traffic.  

Van, Tx has a very small police force. 3-4 cops is my estimate. By “small” I mean headcount. One of those guys is 400 lbs or so. The only time I ever see him is in one of the three restaurants in town.  Really, that’s the only time I’ve ever seen him. Not directing traffic, not walking the bleachers at a HS game, for goodness sake not in a foot chase. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, nnm said:

Van, Tx has a very small police force. 3-4 cops is my estimate. By “small” I mean headcount. One of those guys is 400 lbs or so. The only time I ever see him is in one of the three restaurants in town.  Really, that’s the only time I’ve ever seen him. Not directing traffic, not walking the bleachers at a HS game, for goodness sake not in a foot chase. 

Protecting and serving himself another slice of cake. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

My University of Texas coffee cup that I have had for almost 30 years that I exclusively use at my office has come up missing.  I was gone on a business trip for 2 weeks and when I returned to my office it was not to be found.  I never take it home.  I have also looked at home just to be sure.  I have checked all of the offices and have put up a "Missing" sign.  It is no where to be found.

I will probably stumble across it eventaully and I will then post it in the "Getting Old Sucks" thread about forgetfulness.

I has the sads.

• Like 4
  • Rage+1 3

11 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Both are edible.

Avocados from Mexico!

Lettuce from Romania!

Sure. 

And I could probably order a guacamole salad, but I'm not a communist.

If I want healthy vegetables with my rice, refried beans and three enchilada plate slathered in 8 ounces of melted cheese, I'll have some salsa.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

Why does it matter if the individual rolls are wrapped while sitting on the shelf in the pantry?

Because I don't want 12 giant open rolls of paper towels gathering dust or whatever in my pantry. My wife calls it the pantry but it's a closet inside the laundry room, there's no food just cleaning supplies and assorted crap that Mitch Cumsteen's wife would appreciate. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

So many people stop just beyond this sign.

05a5eaa49586fe3d6cafaf79af514aea.jpg

Because they are fucking morons.  You should see them ( never) try to merge at highway speeds on the freeway.

Edited by slorch

Went to Costco to get my paper towels. Came home and opened the package to discover that they don't individually wrap the rolls anymore, I guess. Now instead of putting the rolls on the shelves in the pantry, I have to find a place to store the whole giant package. 

Kirklands paper towels are individually wrapped in packs of 2. They’re bountyesque quality.

Because I don't want 12 giant open rolls of paper towels gathering dust or whatever in my pantry. My wife calls it the pantry but it's a closet inside the laundry room, there's no food just cleaning supplies and assorted crap that Mitch Cumsteen's wife would appreciate. 

Just peel the top couple of “contaminated” sheets off the roll if it bugs you that they might be dusty. But I doubt the Bounty factory is a sterile environment, so who knows what’s trapped inside that wrapper anyway.

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

Just peel the top couple of “contaminated” sheets off the roll if it bugs you that they might be dusty. But I doubt the Bounty factory is a sterile environment, so who knows what’s trapped inside that wrapper anyway.

It's when the rat's piss all over the ends and you have to toss the entire roll. /SoonerStruggles

On 10/16/2023 at 11:13 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I used to coach baseball with a friend whose wife, Janet, named their three boys Jarrett, Jarrick, and Jarren. He always seemed a bit irritated that he had to emphasize the last syllable to get the correct boy’s attention.

Jt, Jk, Jn  ... you're welcome

Recently purchased two pairs of Vans sneakers at a shoe store.  Both the same size.  Decided to buy a third pair online in a color that I wanted of the same size. The third pair ordered online, of the same size, were too small.  Did not fit at all like the other two pair.

Another reason why I rarely buy shoes or clothing online.

Ugh.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Okie State said:
37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:
Nothing makes me more surly than people talking on here and in real life about their fantasy football teams. 

Let them have it. Their life is already sad if they're into that bullshit.

Eh, I have zero issue with other people being into fantasy sports, it is no less lame than other hobbies. But people who talk to others about their fantasy teams, poker hands, or sports bets need a kick in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

I have seen exactly 0.0000 seconds of Yellowstone itself. However, I watched 1883 and actually enjoyed it.

Interesting. I thought 1883 was ridiculous on so many levels. One of the first was when this teenage farm girl from Tennessee who probably grew up riding plow horses or oxen goes out and rounds up wild Texas Longhorns in the brush. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Can’t spell.
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Interesting. I thought 1883 was ridiculous on so many levels. One of the first was when this teenage farm girl from Tennessee who probably grew up riding plow horses or oxen goes out and rounds up wild Texas Longhorns in the brush. 

And then she slept her way across the west. Humping the dude in a buffalo wallow while the twister passed directly over them was the high point of idiocy. I’ve never rooted as hard for a character to die. And the slow, painful death she got was what that character deserved. 
I don’t care if I spoiled it for you. 1883 is dumb. 
1923, on the other hand, was good. The British chicky is annoying and Harrison Ford can’t act his way out of a paper bag, but it’s a good show. Harrison Ford is Harrison Ford in every movie and show he’s in. This is a good casting of him. And Helen Mirren is outstanding. 

Edited by nnm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nnm said:

And then she slept her way across the west. Humping the dude while the twister passed directly over them was the high point of idiocy. I’ve never rooted as hard for a character to die. And the slow, painful death she got was what that character deserved. 
I don’t care if I spoiled it for you. 1883 is dumb. 
1923, on the other hand, was good. The British chicky is annoying and Harrison Ford can’t act his way out of a paper bag, but it’s a good show. Harrison Ford is Harrison Ford in every movie and show he’s in. This is a good casting of him. And Helen Mirren is outstanding. 

The main issue I have with 1923 is that the stupid girl from 1883 is the narrator. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1