Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I got my Pfizer vaccine (or placebo) yesterday afternoon, so far today all I have to report is a sore injection site. Scheduled for the second one in 3 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Nice. Thank you for sacrificing your life for the rest of us. We will remember you fondly. 

I guess it's time to get the wreath fund going again.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:23 PM, Neonmoon said:

Another case of Covid-related misinformation.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Another case of Covid-related misinformation.

His friend said he had died of it and the school ran with it in a FB post. The family?

"Nobody in the Stephens family has confirmed his cause of death, nor has the family issued a statement."

So the school took it down and apologized. I wouldn't call that "misinformation" from some media/official source with an agenda as you're falsely implying.

20 minutes ago, bolverk said:

His friend said he had died of it and the school ran with it in a FB post. The family?

So the school took it down and apologized. I wouldn't call that "misinformation" from some media/official source with an agenda as you're falsely implying.

I don't think the media makes shit up.  But I do think this is part of the problem this year - if the information is consistent with their narrative (i.e., if it "rings true"), then they don't properly vet the info.

I mean c'mon, I've never taken a journalism class, but I am assuming they teach things like how to verify, fact-check, and thoroughly source information?  Running with this from a FB post that was undoubtedly retweeted thousands of times?  Embarrassing.  And misleading.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I don't think the media makes shit up.  But I do think this is part of the problem this year - if the information is consistent with their narrative (i.e., if it "rings true"), then they don't properly vet the info.

I mean c'mon, I've never taken a journalism class, but I am assuming they teach things like how to verify, fact-check, and thoroughly source information?  Running with this from a FB post that was undoubtedly retweeted thousands of times?  Embarrassing.  And misleadin

Edited by Incredulity
Nm

44 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I mean c'mon, I've never taken a journalism class, but I am assuming they teach things like how to verify, fact-check, and thoroughly source information?  Running with this from a FB post that was undoubtedly retweeted thousands of times?  Embarrassing.  And misleading.

Sure, real journalist know that. It was on Twitter. 

I just clicked through some COVID numbers from around the world. Places in Europe are spiking - notably Spain, France, and UK.

China...holy shit. They are reporting no new deaths since May and hardly any new cases. Is the rest of the world really expected to believe that? What in the hell is going on there?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I just clicked through some COVID numbers from around the world. Places in Europe are spiking - notably Spain, France, and UK.

China...holy shit. They are reporting no new deaths since May and hardly any new cases. Is the rest of the world really expected to believe that? What in the hell is going on there?

communism..and likely buttsecks.

9 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Not anymore. I listened to an NPR report where a "journalist" from a journalism school said who, what, when, where, and why was outdated.  Now it's about trying  to create a message, not inform people of facts in journalism schools.

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Ancient Chinese secret ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

This is what gives me pause about the whole "herd immunity for places that had big early spikes" thing. Spain actually has more cases per day now than they did when Covid was running train on them in March/April.

This is what gives me pause about the whole "herd immunity for places that had big early spikes" thing. Spain actually has more cases per day now than they did when Covid was running train on them in March/April.

Spain has 46M people. Outbreak 1 was roughly 250k cases from ~March 1-May1. From July 1 when cases began to creep through Sept 10 they’ added about 280k cases, ~30k cases with the extra 10 September days.

250k+280k = 530k multiply by 10(rule of thumb)of unaccounted for cases= 5,300,000 divided by 46M= ~11.5% immunity. Not quite there.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Probably need to see where those cases are specifically. It could be previous low affected areas. The U.S. Rt is spiking in states that were relatively unscathed before. Strangely, Texas is less than one and has been for awhile. We’ll know better within the next 10 days to see if back to school and labor day causes a resurgence enough to move the reproduction number above one.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

They are absolutely lying 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/stacks-of-urns-in-wuhan-prompt-new-questions-of-virus-s-toll

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200608/Cremation-numbers-reveal-possible-suppression-of-true-COVID-19-data-in-China.aspx

• Hook 'Em 2

Things that may have changed from initial onslaught to now. 

1. Virus is weaker - virus mutates in order to spread, if people are dead it cant' spread, so less lethal is better for virus

2. Medical treatment is better - doctors learned what works and what doesn't work. Ventilators bad, remedesivir good, prone position, etc, etc. 

3. Vulnerable population still in quarantine. Old people, people with health conditions, overweight people, are all being extremely cautious. 

4. Masks work to reduce spread. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Things that may have changed from initial onslaught to now. 

1. Virus is weaker - virus mutates in order to spread, if people are dead it cant' spread, so less lethal is better for virus

2. Medical treatment is better - doctors learned what works and what doesn't work. Ventilators bad, remedesivir good, prone position, etc, etc. 

3. Vulnerable population still in quarantine. Old people, people with health conditions, overweight people, are all being extremely cautious. 

4. Masks work to reduce spread. 

Maybe 5 - the most vulnerable folks are already dead.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Spain has 46M people. Outbreak 1 was roughly 250k cases from ~March 1-May1. From July 1 when cases began to creep through Sept 10 they’ added about 280k cases, ~30k cases with the extra 10 September days.

250k+280k = 530k multiply by 10(rule of thumb)of unaccounted for cases= 5,300,000 divided by 46M= ~11.5% immunity. Not quite there.

yeah but I think it is more about the age the cases are hitting.  are the cases in the new spikes mostly younger than the first spike?   the best scenario I can see is the older pop has been burned through and the younger pop hasn't yet so potentially the younger portion of the pop can get to "herd" quickly now and potentially burn itself out with them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not a huge shock here, but CDC says eating out is a major vector for spread:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6936a5.htm?s_cid=mm6936a5_w

"In this investigation, participants with and without COVID-19 reported generally similar community exposures, with the exception of going to locations with on-site eating and drinking options. Adults with confirmed COVID-19 (case-patients) were approximately twice as likely as were control-participants to have reported dining at a restaurant in the 14 days before becoming ill. In addition to dining at a restaurant, case-patients were more likely to report going to a bar/coffee shop, but only when the analysis was restricted to participants without close contact with persons with known COVID-19 before illness onset. Reports of exposures in restaurants have been linked to air circulation (7). Direction, ventilation, and intensity of airflow might affect virus transmission, even if social distancing measures and mask use are implemented according to current guidance. Masks cannot be effectively worn while eating and drinking, whereas shopping and numerous other indoor activities do not preclude mask use."

51 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

"In this investigation, participants with and without COVID-19 reported generally similar community exposures, with the exception of going to locations with on-site eating and drinking options. Adults with confirmed COVID-19 (case-patients) were approximately twice as likely as were control-participants to have reported dining at a restaurant in the 14 days before becoming ill. In addition to dining at a restaurant, case-patients were more likely to report going to a bar/coffee shop, but only when the analysis was restricted to participants without close contact with persons with known COVID-19 before illness onset. Reports of exposures in restaurants have been linked to air circulation (7). Direction, ventilation, and intensity of airflow might affect virus transmission, even if social distancing measures and mask use are implemented according to current guidance. Masks cannot be effectively worn while eating and drinking, whereas shopping and numerous other indoor activities do not preclude mask use."

Spread is kind of a pre-requisite for eating out  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not anymore. I listened to an NPR report where a "journalist" from a journalism school said who, what, when, where, and why was outdated.  Now it's about trying  to create a message, not inform people of facts in journalism schools.

Media bias thread =====>

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

There could be localized herd immunity though depending on how unevenly distributed the cases are, and I assume some portion of the population is rural and spread is lower there by virtue of natural distancing and fewer interactions. 

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Well guys who don't give their ladies oral enjoyment are in the clear! HIOOOOOO!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

A fb friend who thinks he’s clever and also thinks this is all a conspiracy, just yesterday made a quip about why do kids in school have to keep masks on but patrons at restaurants don’t followed by that thinking emoji. 
I ignore these kinds of posts from both sides, as arguing is pointless, but o really wanted to tell him that the answer isn’t what he thinks it is, and that restaurant eating is unsafe as far as Covid spread is concerned. 
he’s in brokedick, Nevada so he can be as laissez faire as he wishes. 

I've gone to a few restaurants that have set up outdoor seating with distancing. Indoor dining still prohibited.

My main question is how you fuckers getting hair cuts? My hair is basically shoulder length and I dont relish the idea of someone hovering right above my face for 20 minutes.

15 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Speaking as somebody who has a Bachelor of Journalism from UT and been out of the business for nearly 15 years, all those rules and best practices have gone out the window with the proliferation of agenda-driven "news" organizations and the race to be first among the still-reputable sources. I wish we demanded better. But we don't. So here we are.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I've gone to a few restaurants that have set up outdoor seating with distancing. Indoor dining still prohibited.

My main question is how you fuckers getting hair cuts? My hair is basically shoulder length and I dont relish the idea of someone hovering right above my face for 20 minutes.

They are masked 

I am masked (have to hold it to my face when they do the sideburns and around the ears)

Temp checks 

Hand washing and gloves 

35 minutes ago, justhookit said:

haircut GIF

Tangent- a friend of ours that is new in town asked about getting his haircut for his wedding. Said he hasn’t had it cut by a stylist in forever, maybe ever. His family used a flowbee when he was younger, and he has long hair so he usually just trims it himself. But he wanted a styling for his wedding. Anyway. an actual flowbee user. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away