CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

57 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

This country is being run at all levels of government by the Mayor of Amity from Jaws except after he watches the kid get eaten by a shark he still says, "eh, let's all go in the water and keep swimming".   

Also, leave it to the conspiracy theorists and hoaxers to adopt the mantra of a Disney fish from Finding Nemo and miss the mark on the context.

Review: Finding Dory Is As Good If Not Better Than Finding ...

From the LA Times today re: the covid surge.

Patients were “piled in administrative hallways, stuffed in the corners, hanging over chairs,” said one healthcare worker, who asked for anonymity out of fear of retribution. When the emergency room ran out of crevices, staffers began treating people right in the waiting room.

It was like practicing Civil War medicine. It was the worst shift of my life,” the worker said.

Family members were screaming, ‘He’s dying. Aren’t you going to help him?’” the healthcare worker said. “We looked at each other and said, ‘Are we gonna pull oxygen off of this lady to give it to someone else?’”

There are like 7 beds available in a county of 10 million+ and if you drive around, you'd think its a normal Wednesday in December. 

Edited by Foosters

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

From the LA Times today re: the covid surge.

There are like 7 beds available in a county of 10 million+ and if you drive around, you'd think its a normal Wednesday in December. 

If they were republicans we could spike the football on them. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

NSIAP

Abbott Teams up with Covid Against Austin

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/12/30/texas-greg-abbott-austin-new-years/

Greg Abbott says Austin can't ban late on-site dining for New Year's weekend as COVID-19 surge continues

Mayor Steve Adler said the severity of the COVID-19 situation in Austin requires more drastic measures. El Paso County announced a similar order earlier this month.

BY JUAN PABLO GARNHAM DEC. 30, 2020UPDATED: 2:38 PM

COPY LINK
REPUBLISH

With COVID-19 cases surging, Austin's mayor announced a ban on restaurants and bars serving customers on site during late night and early morning hours throughout the New Year's weekend, but Gov. Greg Abbott quickly attacked the move and said the city isn't authorized to exceed his statewide restrictions.

According to the city’s order, dine-in food and beverage service will be restricted both indoors and outdoors from 10:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. starting Thursday and ending at 6 a.m. Sunday. Those businesses can continue to offer drive-thru, curbside pick-up, take out, or delivery services.

“We are now facing our most dangerous surge,” Austin Mayor Steve Adler said during a Wednesday press conference. “We could be facing something more severe and more extreme than what we have seen in the past. I want to make real clear that this is not about government and this is not about politics.”

Abbott tweeted on Tuesday that Adler doesn't have authority to issue such a local order. “My executive order stops cities like Austin from arbitrarily shutting down businesses,” he said. “The city has a responsibility to enforce existing orders, not make new ones.”

But the governor has remained silent about similar orders in El Paso County that covered the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's holidays. The governor's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Texas Tribune.

On Wednesday, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton sent a letter to both Adler and Travis County Judge Andy Brown that said Austin's order was "unlawful and unenforceable" and threatened legal action if they don't "immediately rescind or, at a minimum, modify your orders" so they comply with the state's regulations.

Austin’s order, which carries a maximum fine of $1,000 for violators but no jail time, does not violate the state’s regulation because it’s “just an operational constraint,” Adler said, adding that “the reason that we are doing this is because it focuses on the activity where people are together without wearing masks.”

During his press conference, Adler encouraged Austinites to support restaurants through delivery and take out and “tip and overtip, because these people and these businesses are taking a severe and significant financial hit for the greater good, and we as a community can help mitigate that.”

Austin and Travis County officials warned that the area has seen a troubling rise in COVID-19 cases and they are worried about hospital capacity. In the last month, the county's positivity rate — the percentage of tests that come back positive for COVID-19 — and ICU bed usage have almost doubled. New daily cases have more than quadrupled in the same period, according to the county's COVID-19 dashboards.

“Today in Texas, COVID-19 represents one in five of every person hospitalized,” said Mark Escott, interim health authority and public health medical director for the City of Austin and Travis County. “The policies that we’ve had have not worked to curb the spread of the disease … Now it’s the time to reconsider those decisions so that we can protect Texas.”

On Twitter, the Texas Restaurant Association called on Austin businesses to follow Abbott’s guidance and said that “a curfew is not allowed.”

“Restaurants are deeply invested within their communities, and so they continue to do all they can to prevent the spread of COVID-19, often at tremendous cost,” the organization's tweet said. “Closing indoor dining will not prevent holiday celebrations; it will simply move them from highly regulated businesses into completely unregulated spaces at a critical time in our COVID-19 response.”

Last month, El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego announced a similar curfewfor Thanksgiving as COVID-19 cases increased in the border county. And earlier this month, Samaniego issued a similar measure for Christmas and New Year's celebrations.

The county has banned all social activities — including restaurant dine-in services — from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. between Dec. 30 and Jan. 4 but allows take out and drive thru service. After he issued the Thanksgiving order, Samaniego said that he did so after what he said was a “favorable” discussion with Abbott’s office and a representative from the Texas Attorney General’s office.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has warned Americans to avoid crowds and poorly ventilated indoor spaces and recommended that people stay at home for New Year's Eve or celebrate virtually.

Abbott is actively trying to kill Texans.

The fun thing is that he's going to have a real hard time finding a judge to issue a temporary restraining order in Travis County.

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Pretty fucking easy to get 300 million americans vaccinated asap

”hey everyone, come get your $2000 relief check at this huge tent we set up in your city. We’ll give it to you as soon as you get your vaccine series.”

what do i win?

Yeah, it's easy.  Until you come across someone like Mitch.  This fucker probably blanches at the idea of the government even paying for the vaccine.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/30/senate-stimulus-check-increase-452491

McConnell said he will not split up a bill combining the checks with an election fraud commission and a rollback of legal protections for big tech, which he introduced on Tuesday. 

The Senate will consider only “smart targeted aid, not another fire hose of borrowed money that encompasses other people who are doing just fine,” 

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Pretty fucking easy to get 300 million americans vaccinated asap”  hey everyone, come get your $2000 relief check at this huge tent we set up in your city. We’ll give it to you as soon as you get your vaccine series.”

what do i win?

Mitch don't give a fuck about solutions.

tenor.gif?itemid=13403722&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Pretty fucking easy to get 300 million americans vaccinated asap

”hey everyone, come get your $2000 relief check at this huge tent we set up in your city. We’ll give it to you as soon as you get your vaccine series.”

what do i win?

So far, 5 "Hook Em" rep points.

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Now if only his dumb fuck riding buddy Adam douchebag Carolla got a double helping of it.  Mr. wha wha liberals are all cancel culture.  No dumbshit, cancel culture is the disenfranchising of millions of American voters through modified Jim Crow laws, stripping the post office and straight up give me the election requests.  Seems like he'd be all up in that investigating but nope.  This jerk off goes by Dr but gave out phony information because it didn't seem to matter until he got it.  You know who didn't make hospital visits to verify Covid statements?  Fake ass doctors.  

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

If they were republicans we could spike the football on them. 

ah yes the pre-emptive inverted bothsider attack from Anastasis on line 1

thank you friends for the updates and chatter on the vaccine. My old man got it today which is great and will try to get my mother some info here soon. A very good friend of mine was working on the Pfizer vaccine. Sadly he left this world just a few weeks back. I think of him daily. He was a longhorn alum and damn proud of it. Every time you one of you mofos gets a vaccine DJ Monroe gets to carry the rock again even if he still fucking sitting on the sidelines. (yesterday's Bijan episode still enraging me by the way)

ya'll homies be good now. 

• Hook 'Em 7

22 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I saw someone on Twitter earlier say we ought to let HEB distribute them.

That's if they are open.

"responsibility has been pushed" --- passive voice.

I want to fucking know where our state leadership is. What the fuck does Abbot even do? It appears he hasn't given any update on the vaccine or its distribution since almost 2 weeks ago. State elected officials are committing malfeasance and neglect, standing by (or not) idly, basically just being twitter trolls and trying to undo local health measures. How the fuck do people vote for this shit?  And-- want to know how I know we're really fucked? A large portion of the residents in this state are gunning for Abbott because he somehow did too much against freedumb (and even then he reversed himself).

Oh and he claims he's gonna get it spent but he still has $2-3 BILLION of Cares money that the state has to spend, and is lobbying for a deadline extension. You know how these funds could be spent? Directing and providing resources for the vaccine distribution, which you had months to consider. The fuck is going on with this shithead apart from proving the bullshit R mantra -- that government is incompetent-- by shirking the most basic, constitutional charge of the office -- to care for the health and welfare of the state's citizens?   Easiest, griftiest gig in the fucking world.  Feeling SALTY

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 6

Its easy to say that HEB should handle the providing all of the vaccines but has anyone asked them if they are prepared for it. they have to be ready for:

• lines of people
  • a place for each patient to sit for 15 minutes while still practicing social distancing
  • the ability to handle an adverse reaction
  • educate patients on what to expect with potential side effects
  • Educate and encourage them to return for second shot
  • record keeping of who gets the vaccine
  • train their staff for all of the above 

all while heb will still want normal grocery and pharmacy operations to continue. Obviously heb and the other pharmacy chains will be giving out the vaccine but it’s a lot to put this 100% on them today.

This was a job for the govt to handle and they seem to have washed their hands of it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Its easy to say that HEB should handle the providing all of the vaccines but has anyone asked them if they are prepared for it. they have to be ready for:

• lines of people
  • a place for each patient to sit for 15 minutes while still practicing social distancing
  • educate patients on what to expect with potential side effects
  • Educate and encourage them to return for second shot
  • record keeping of who gets the vaccine
  • train their staff for all of the above 

all while heb will still want normal grocery and pharmacy operations to continue. Obviously heb and the other pharmacy chains will be giving out the vaccine but it’s a lot to put this 100% on them today.

This was a job for the govt to handle and they seem to have washed their hands of it.

I’ll take my chances with H-E-B. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I once did have an adverse reaction to a full case of Frio Light. I'm confident that if I had spewed in-store they would have given me a full refund.

Edited by smuggs