CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

I didn't know Tucker Carlson had the ability to read my mind but apparently he does.  Every single word he speaks here could have came from my thoughts.

None of us are surprised that you and Tucker share one mind on things. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Okay, EMAW aside, there seems to be enough data points to indicate a slight rise in Trump's approval rating lately.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Any insight as to why that might be?  My gut tells me that people want to believe in their leader during hard times, but then I remember his steep drop during the government shutdown and I can't quite reconcile it.  What am I missing?

He flipped from denial, hoax, unnecessary media-fueled panic to acknowledging the threat and embracing the advice of the scientific and medical community.  If he flips away from that and we have death tolls more towards the worst case scenarios, you will see confidence in him plummet.

Edit:  I want Trump to succeed because some of my family members lives are tethered to his success.  We aren’t getting a deus ex machina save from a competent leader until next January at the earliest.  By then it will be too late.  So when Trump shows a glimmer of competency, I think better of him and hope he has turned some sort of corner (even if I know logically that his flaws will resurface soon).

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Also in a Pelosi plan....

Additional $100 million for runaways and homeless youths (good!)

additional $15 Million for Veteran employment and training. (Thank you)

and an additional $300 million for Foreign Refugees living overseas (WTF). 

Priorities seem clear, no?

Why don’t you respond to what the republicans have asked for in the bill.  Giving corporations billions in bailout money and still allowing them to fire all of their employees (good or bad)?  500 billion dollar slush fund that will be administered by Mnuchin with the only oversight coming from Trump (good or bad)?  I actually agree with you that the Democrats need to get a lot of that shit out of this bill even though I agree with a lot of it because this bill needs to focus on the pandemic and how to help people due to that.  That said, the Republicans in government have proven to be such honorable people so I guess we should just trust that they will do the right thing, right?  If we had a real leader as President right now he would call both leaders to the White House and tell them both to get all that shit our of the bill and pass something that will help people right now but he won’t do that because he has no idea how to lead and he wants to grift some of that bailout money for himself.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Also in a Pelosi plan....

Additional $100 million for runaways and homeless youths (good!)

additional $15 Million for Veteran employment and training. (Thank you)

and an additional $300 million for Foreign Refugees living overseas (WTF). 

Priorities seem clear, no?

*sees pandemic* 

“You want to help stop the pandemic by helping people in other countries? What are you, fucking retarded?”

• Like 5

9 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Especially since the evidence suggests the exact opposite.  Boomers happily throw away their grandkids' futures for a few more years and a few more bucks.   They've never given a fuck about leaving a functional earth or society after they're gone.  Old people wanting to sacrifice.  That's some funny shit.  This ain't the WW2 generation we are talking about.  Its baby boomers.

Seriously, they are the Hulk Hogan of generations. Their “accomplishments” are almost 100% media creation and they absolutely refuse to put the young guys over for the good of the business. When power is finally passed from them, it’s going to look a bit like this:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Hopefully this has been mentioned in this thread, but maybe not.  Shittiest reporting ever?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166

"I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, 'Hey, isn't that the stuff they're talking about on TV?'"

The couple — both in their 60s and potentially at higher risk for complications of the virus — decided to mix a small amount of the substance with a liquid and drink it as a way to prevent the coronavirus....

On Monday, Banner Health, based in Arizona, said the couple took the additive called chloroquine phosphate.

The couple unfortunately equated the chloroquine phosphate in their fish treatment with the medication —known by its generic name, hydroxychloroquine — that has recently been touted as a possible treatment for COVID-19, which has infected more than 42,000 people in the U.S. and killed at least 462.

• Like 1

GOP- Sure we were calling this a Democratic hoax before we asked Americans to sacrifice their lives to help us avoid a worker bailout.

Chicken Sandwich!- *silence*

Dems- Say, how about a long overdue raising of the minimum wage so that when national disasters like this happen (or even when they don't) workers aren't in immediate desperate need of taxpayer assistance?

Chicken Sandwich- Disgusting!

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Okay, EMAW aside, there seems to be enough data points to indicate a slight rise in Trump's approval rating lately.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Any insight as to why that might be?  My gut tells me that people want to believe in their leader during hard times, but then I remember his steep drop during the government shutdown and I can't quite reconcile it.  What am I missing?

As I said previously on this thread, it's predictable.  When the Titanic sinks, that barrel that is floating amongst the debris is going to have a pretty fucking high approval rating.  Yeah, everytime you try to climb up on it, it rolls over and dumps you back into the freezing water.  But at least you can thrown an arm over it and it'll keep you afloat.

But that's not to say that when the Carpathia arrives that anybody is going to choose a barrel over the ship.  And that's going to be your choice in November.

And let's get something real straight--the barrel's approval ratings in this case aren't particularly high.  After 9/11, George W. Bush's approval ratings shot up above 80%.  That's pretty standard for a president during a national emergency.  That we are in a national emergency and Trump can't get his approval rating above 50% should be really alarming for any Republican.

Finally, Trump's approval rating on this crisis is up slightly at a time when he is monopolizing the airways on the issue.  Democrats are busy legislating.  And I think Biden is right to hold his fire and let the thing play out.  But it is playing out into a complete disaster.  And as we get toward Fall, the ads will come out that spell out the magnitude of the disaster and the complicity of Trump in the making of that disaster.  When that happens, his ratings have no place to go but down.

• Like 6

Yeah, I hate the Democratic Party and I hate Trump.  And that bill is chalk full of bullshit.  Many elected officials need to die and I won't lose a wink of sleep.  

This country is going to be better off on the other side of this thing.  

I'm still trying to locate the text form of these proposals and not sallies fired by talking heads. If anyone has a link, would appreciate it.

Best access to medical care, a personal protection team that tests any contacts for fevers, an ability to benefit from inside information to manipulate stocks, what is not to like about telling people they should go to work? Of course Mr. I'm Never Accountable believes there's no problem. That's the way the world works. Sucks to our assmar. Someone mind taking the conch away from Trump?  It's time for him to go home.

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm still trying to locate the text form of these proposals and not sallies fired by talking heads. If anyone has a link, would appreciate it.

Best access to medical care, a personal protection team that tests any contacts for fevers, an ability to benefit from inside information to manipulate stocks, what is not to like about telling people they should go to work? Of course Mr. I'm Never Accountable believes there's no problem. That's the way the world works. Sucks to our assmar. Someone mind taking the conch away from Trump?  It's time for him to go home.

Breitbart, so only lists the D pork

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/23/nancy-pelosi-proposes-1120-page-coronavirus-bill-stuffed-with-pork/

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If any thread can deliver it should be this one.  Is there a tally sheet for the Bull shit both parties tried to sneak into the emergency funding bill ?

I agree that it’s disgusting for politicians to try to exploit the pandemic to promote their ideology over finding a pragmatic solution to help the majority of Americans.

• Like 4

As I said previously on this thread, it's predictable.  When the Titanic sinks, that barrel that is floating amongst the debris is going to have a pretty fucking high approval rating.  Yeah, everytime you try to climb up on it, it rolls over and dumps you back into the freezing water.  But at least you can thrown an arm over it and it'll keep you afloat.

But that's not to say that when the Carpathia arrives that anybody is going to choose a barrel over the ship.  And that's going to be your choice in November.

And let's get something real straight--the barrel's approval ratings in this case aren't particularly high.  After 9/11, George W. Bush's approval ratings shot up above 80%.  That's pretty standard for a president during a national emergency.  That we are in a national emergency and Trump can't get his approval rating above 50% should be really alarming for any Republican.

Finally, Trump's approval rating on this crisis is up slightly at a time when he is monopolizing the airways on the issue.  Democrats are busy legislating.  And I think Biden is right to hold his fire and let the thing play out.  But it is playing out into a complete disaster.  And as we get toward Fall, the ads will come out that spell out the magnitude of the disaster and the complicity of Trump in the making of that disaster.  When that happens, his ratings have no place to go but down.

Very logical responses. Also, maybe I should stop trying to make sense of shit like this.

ET3z76uXkAEQFyK?format=jpg&name=large

ET30E9CXkAAUYs2?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Hopefully this has been mentioned in this thread, but maybe not.  Shittiest reporting ever?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166

"I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, 'Hey, isn't that the stuff they're talking about on TV?'"

The couple — both in their 60s and potentially at higher risk for complications of the virus — decided to mix a small amount of the substance with a liquid and drink it as a way to prevent the coronavirus....

On Monday, Banner Health, based in Arizona, said the couple took the additive called chloroquine phosphate.

The couple unfortunately equated the chloroquine phosphate in their fish treatment with the medication —known by its generic name, hydroxychloroquine — that has recently been touted as a possible treatment for COVID-19, which has infected more than 42,000 people in the U.S. and killed at least 462.

How is that shitty reporting? That's what happened. Vaughn Hillyard was on Morning Joe today and played an audio recording of his interview with the wife. What am I missing?

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How is that shitty reporting? That's what happened. Vaughn Hillyard was on Morning Joe today and played an audio recording of his interview with the wife. What am I missing?

Saying that Trump recommended that people take fish tank cleaner.

• Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Well, since ChickenSandwich is treating his source like Trump treats his tax returns, I'll share it. It's a Tom Cotton tweet.

So I am suppose to puke over these proposals but bailing out cruise ship companies is OK since the CEO's know Trump. Like I said get to what you agree on and then fight over the rest this coming week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Saying that Trump recommended that people take fish tank cleaner.

The article doesn't say that. I'll repeat that. The article does not say that.  

Trump promoted chloroquine, which he really shouldn't have done. These idiots took chloroquine phosphate because they're too stupid to know the difference and the husband died. But the wife said it was because they heard Trump say it. Hillyard asked her if she heard the health care professionals say that it wasn't a proven or approved treatment and she said she did but since Trump said it she figured they'd be safe. It's not Trump's fault that they made the mistake, but it demonstrates the danger of not having a consistent message from the administration and of the president shooting his mouth off about subjects best left to the experts. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Now do the same for what Republicans want to shove into this bill. 

Agreed. The no strings attached slush fund and the weak corporate stock buy back protections were bad enough to kill it. 

What other pork can you find, I’m sure there is plenty. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Trump promoted chloroquine, which he really shouldn't have done. These idiots took chloroquine phosphate because they're too stupid to know the difference and the husband died. But the wife said it was because they heard Trump say it. Hillyard asked her if she heard the health care professionals say that it wasn't a proven or approved treatment and she said she did but since Trump said it she figured they'd be safe. It's not Trump's fault that they made the mistake, but it demonstrates the danger of not having a consistent message from the administration and of the president shooting his mouth off about subjects best left to the experts. 

My response was to the Keith Boykin tweet - which did say that and was shitty reporting.  I linked the article because it clears it up.

And even if Trump accurately promotes a cures doesn't mean he is encouraging a home remedy.  If he tells people with cancer to get chemo, it doesn't mean he's encouraging me to mix up a home chemo remedy and put it into my body.

People wanted to jump on this so badly and you can tell from the headlines and the initial reactions all over twitter and in this thread.

Edited by Don Johnson

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

That shit is also banging around my Facebook. 

Also,  I was under the impression that The Shining was a thinly veiled allegory of Stephan King’s battle with alcoholism and familial abuse. But maybe that’s just me.

You are correct, sir.

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Early and mail in voting is to help with social distancing because we're still going to be doing this until the population is widely inoculated

If the USPS is still standing at that point.   This article also explains why the Dems added the USPS to the aid.    What a conundrum for the R's:  Let the post office die and continue voter suppression by killing vote by mail, or keep USPS running to deliver all those great dark money mailouts?

House panel warns coronavirus could destroy Postal Service by June

“It has become clear that the Postal Service will not survive the summer without immediate help,” said Rep. Carolyn Maloney.

The U.S. Postal Service could be gone by June unless Congress immediately delivers billions of dollars to counteract the impact of the coronavirus crisis, a House committee chairwoman warned Monday night.

"Based on a number of briefings and warnings this week about a critical fall-off in mail across the country, it has become clear that the Postal Service will not survive the summer without immediate help from Congress and the White House," said Oversight Committee Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) in a statement.

Maloney, who was joined in the statement by Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), indicated that the Postal service has seen a "drastic" reduction in mail volume and could shutter by the summer without intervention, a collapse that could, among other things, jeopardize access to mail-order prescription drugs for millions of Americans, especially in rural communities.

A Postal Service shutdown would also affect the ability of voters to cast ballots by mail.

Maloney and Connolly noted that the House's $2.5 trillion coronavirus relief package would send $25 billion to the Postal Service in emergency funding and eliminate the Postal Service's $11 billion debt. The measure would reset the Postal Service's borrowing limit to $15 billion and eliminate an annual $3 billion borrowing cap. The measure would also require the agency to prioritize medical deliveries.

The House bill would also allow the Postal Service to create "temporary delivery points" and establish flexible staffing procedures if the coronavirus impacts its operations.

The Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 turned the Postal Service into an independent agency within the U.S. government that was primarily responsible for funding itself, something that has become harder since the internet era led to a dramatic drop in the volume of mail. Beyond that, the Postal Service has been required since 2006 to pay at least $5.5 billion annually to pre-fund retiree benefits.

11 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

My response was to the Keith Boykin tweet - which did say that and was shitty reporting.  I linked the article because it clears it up.

And even if Trump accurately promotes a cures doesn't mean he is encouraging a home remedy.  If he tells people with cancer to get chemo, it doesn't mean he's encouraging me to mix up a home chemo remedy and put it into my body.

People wanted to jump on this so badly and you can tell from the headlines and the initial reactions all over twitter and in this thread.

It's a tweet. The African men died from an overdose of chloroquine, not chloroquine phosphate. He could've made that more clear in the tweet but that's an easy mistake to make and I never assumed the African men also took chloroquine phosphate. The odds against that happening must be astronomical. Trump did promote chloroquine. The reporting is in the articles, not the tweets. 

You let us know when Trump accurately promotes a cure. He's going to have to listen the the health care professionals first and so far he's shown a reluctance to do that. Chloroquine isn't a cure, none of the health care professionals told him to say that, and Fauci directly contradicted him in that presser. Still, people died. 

Poor, misunderstood Donald. He's the real victim here. 

the fact that the gop lists include "outrageous" and "frivolous" add-ons like minimum wage and voter protection tells me all i need to know.  there are a few items on both sides that are in there for negotiating purposes.  but listing these front-and-center kinda proves the point.

allowing same-day voter registration?!?  are you serious?!?  the majority of the country is totally opposed to this radical left-wing nonsense! 

54 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't want to think about how much time this wastes for medical professionals on the front lines with this, having to correct their patients who got their medical info from Dr. Trump.  This is not shit they need to deal with right now, and Trump needs to STFU about it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

If 57% of the Independents and 41% of the Democrats think Trump is doing enough to combat this  Trump will carry 35 to 40 states in November.  For the 97,350,295th time your positions are minority positions in this country.  You may be screaming the loudest but you do not have the most mouths.

35-40 states?  yeah, i'll take that action.

I didn't know Tucker Carlson had the ability to read my mind but apparently he does.  Every single word he speaks here could have came from my thoughts.

A Trumpist complaining about identity politics... rich.

Tucker looks like someone asked him to do long division. I'll take whatever that is over the naked corruption of the Senate bailouts.

-Publication of corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards 

-A bail out on all current debt at the Postal Service 

-Required early voting 

-Required same day voter registration  

-Provisions on official time for union collective bargaining 

-Full offset of airline emissions by 2025 

-Publication and reporting of greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights  

-Retirement plans for community newspaper employees 

-Federal $15 minimum wage 

-Permanent paid leave

Holding the country hostage to implement ideas the majority of the country resoundingly objects.  What does any of this have to do with the Virus??
How do you defend this and claim to have a moral compass?  Orange man bad?
Disgusting. 
Yeah. Pulling the curtain back before we give you money. Disgusting.
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk