CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

7 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Whoa hey look at this 

One million tests in one fucking month. 

Don't tell me it can't be done. 

The Obama H1N1 response is the core point of the GOP talking points.  They think the two are exactly the same yet the media is hyping this while they didn't hype H1N1.  They also talk like this is over.  ("Only 4K people have died.")

Facts like this need to be put out there.

• Like 2

Have you seen what they air? It's pure hate and anger. You'd thing they were Jews that just escaped Dachau looking for some payback, but it's much uglier. "Judge" Jeanine and Trish Reagan are pure hate propaganda and hyperbole. This shit has to stop. We've gone full Network.
54d3e395556b3_-_esq-beale.jpg?resize=480:*

They are more like the prison guards who inflicted the trauma and then cried about being mistreated and how the inmates had it better than they did.
  • Like 1

Only money can beat this!

The best way, like the best people.

Obviously a payroll tax is superior to simply handing out cash for getting money into people's hands. And we obviously want to incentivize people to go to work during the spread of a highly infectious disease.

What a useless sack of shit.
  • Like 2

It's a twofer: Obama did something like that, so Trump thinks he will do it better (so he can tweet about it) and it defunds SS, etc. Trying to get at that trust fund something something. I'm not a fan of it regardless who is pushing the button, really, compared to other measures of relief.  But like everything he touches, Trump will make it ten times worse.

For a blast from the past, here is John Boehner (R), House Speaker in 2012 when the tax holiday bill promoted by Obama was passed:

“According to the White House, when he signs this bill, he’s finished,” House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said. “For those of you who haven’t noticed, the president checked out last Labor Day and has been unengaged in leading our country ever since. It has been one nonstop campaign trip after another. So he can campaign all he wants, but the Republicans are going to stay focused on jobs.”

Green shirt guy gif....

Well the noodle heads are loose in Austin now.  I tend to shop very early in the morning, and HEB was like a pregame Texas Football rush.  Mostly older people, loading up.  

I'm honestly not sure why folks are loading up on water? Do they think the water supply is going to stop flowing?  The panic is what is causing the panic, too bad we simply do not have a President who can give you an honest assessment and a straight answer to important questions. If we did we would have a much more orderly response from the public.  

Sadly, sadly, sadly so much of the anxiety, hoarding and outright illogical panic could have all been avoided.  IF only we had a President that was able to see past the tip of his own nose when looking at anything. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Constant said:

No joke. He used to be your typical East Texas conservative, but he has jumped off the cliff the last few years. Hard to even have a conversation about ice cream without it turning into some political blame game. 

I don't mean to be a dick, but have you considered taking his keys away since his cognitive reasoning has declined to such a degree?

Last night, I spoke with my 78 yo mother about this and did my utmost best to describe the seriousness of the situation to her. At first, she tried to downplay it. But since she's a former math teacher, I asked her to recall how exponents work and said this thing seemed to double in cases every 3-4 days. She was under the impression that tests had been widely available, but I told her that Dr. Fauci testified to Congress that the system had been failing and explained to her that there were far more more cases out there than we knew. The lightbulb seemed to go on and she said, "I guess I need to cancel my dentist appointment next week."

That gave me a sigh of relief, but I'm still going to have to rely on her persuasion skills to convince my utterly brainwashed, die-hard, Trump-supporting, 82 yo dad. If your mom is still around, try to get her to lean on him. If all else fails, issue a Silver Alert on him (kidding/not kidding).

3 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Sadly, sadly, sadly so much of the anxiety, hoarding and outright illogical panic could have all been avoided.  IF only we had a President that was able to see past the tip of his own nose when looking at anything. 

All of this. Collectively, we could've been slowly preparing over the last two months. But, instead, we (as a society) have only begun to frantically prepare over the last couple of days.

12 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/fed-to-inject-1-5-trillion-in-bid-to-prevent-unusual-disruptions-in-markets-11584033537

Im all about criticizing fiscal policy, but let’s at least start from an informed position 

So this is a 1.5T bipartisan loan and the government is going to get it back? Why are people pretending it is an expenditure like a military plane?

3 hours ago, RPM said:

As a matter of fact I was bullied into using one the other night. I made 2 separate purchases because I needed 2 receipts. Rang up 3 Diet DP (free tshirt bitches!) paid for them and got my receipt. Then I rang up the rest of my shit. When I start to pay the Dot not Arrow watching self-checkout says I need to pay for the DP. I pull the receipt out of my pocket show it to him with an eat shit and die look. He says he's sorry, I pay for my stuff get a 2nd receipt and leave. After I load my shit in the car and got to put the cart away here comes Dot not Arrow loudly proclaiming I need to pay for my drinks waving the 2nd sale receipt. 

5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Motherfucker I showed you my receipt for the drinks (pull it out of my pocket and put it a foot from his face). YOU need to pay closer fucking attention before you accuse someone of being a thief (I fucking loathe thieves). If you had cashiers working instead of forcing customers to do your job for you, you wouldn't have to worry about people stealing. 

So fuck no.

You were at Walmart, weren't you?

Yesterday was the first time in recent memory that DT was below a Dem on PredictIt to win the presidency.  Then starting before 3am a bunch of pro Trump posters started commenting away about a wartime president winnin re-election and all that shit...and they’re buying shares to try to prop it up.  Blows my mind so few apply curricula thinking and fail to realize there are actors out there trying to influence the narrative behind the scenes.  

12 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

So this is a 1.5T bipartisan loan and the government is going to get it back? Why are people pretending it is an expenditure like a military plane?

it's the fed backstopping the financial system.  you don't want the financial system to lock up on top of all the rest of this shit.  it's not bipartisan, the fed is an independent federal agency/corporation with a board of governors appointed by the president from a slate put up by the member institutions, and subject to congressional oversight.  trumpy has tried to politicize it and largely failed (thankfully) (as have the ron paul types, they want the thing entirely under political control which is a fucking disaster every where that's happened). 

Talked to my folks yesterday; mom and dad are in their mid-70's, refuse to watch Fox news, etc.  They are aware of this, have taken precautions, have enough groceries for the next few weeks, and in mom's words...it's spring, so there's plenty of yardwork to do instead of going out, plus she is taking this time to paint the kitchen, etc.  She was a little down when I told her I wasn't bringing the kids around this weekend, but understood why and said Facetime would be good for now.

Meanwhile, in my in-law's hardcore #MAGA household, it's a constant bitch fest about how this is an entirely Democratic driven plot in conjunction with mass media to do nothing more than to get retribution on Trump because impeachment failed.  

8 hours ago, RayDog said:

NDT has a report on China's claim that the coronavirus is a US bioweapon. The story starts at the 4:05 mark.

As a thought exercise, I've been wondering who could "win" out of this situation in regards to GeoPolitics. We know Russia and China are effectively our enemies. China has now controlled this situation at home and Russia seems not overly impacted by this thing yet. In parallel, the West is in a death spiral. IF you wanted to make a move at a strategic level to change the balance of power of the West.......isn't this the time? 

8 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

As a thought exercise, I've been wondering who could "win" out of this situation in regards to GeoPolitics. We know Russia and China are effectively our enemies. China has now controlled this situation at home and Russia seems not overly impacted by this thing yet. In parallel, the West is in a death spiral. IF you wanted to make a move at a strategic level to change the balance of power of the West.......isn't this the time? 

If China and Russia were lying about the severity of the outbreak within their borders, how would we know?

I'm not saying they're lying but we always need to take whatever they're saying with a grain of salt. They could be lying. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If China and Russia were lying about the severity of the outbreak within their borders, how would we know?

I'm not saying they're lying but we always need to take whatever they're saying with a grain of salt. They could be lying. 

Completely valid and part of the issue of understanding the scope of this virus world wide. But reading that Medium article, it made sense that they have been used to this kind of thing and know how to control it better than most, along with their populace used to being under control of a heavy handed government, so now apt to do the things necessary to stem this thing (quarantine). So begs my original question, IF they have this in relative control....   

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Actually praying this isn't true.  Fuck it all if so.

I first heard about it from a doctor who saw the ER doctors post on a message board. He seemed to think it was legitimate. In reality, who knows. I’m afraid that the simulation is seeing just how ridiculous it can make things before we realize we are indeed in a simulation.

Edited by Thrawn

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So Ted was about to end his quarantine

0fea4346037d007fb3f721da2ba74106.jpg

I think the last thing I’d do is eat out.

Wait, so Cruz was exposed to someone *while in quarantine*? Does he not know how quarantine works? I’m glad everyone’s stupidity is out in the open now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Wait, so Cruz was exposed to someone *while in quarantine*? Does he not know how quarantine works? I’m glad everyone’s stupidity is out in the open now. 

Cruz went into 'self-quarantine' about 10 days after he was in contact with the guy at CPAC who tested positive.  This interaction with Abascal was between CPAC and when he went into quarantine. 

Also - pretty presumptuous of Ted to think that his family wants to go out to eat with him, or even be seen in public with him.

3 minutes ago, Thrawn said:

I first heard about it from a doctor who saw the ER doctors post on a message board. He seemed to think it was legitimate. In reality, who knows. I’m afraid that the simulation is seeing just how ridiculous it can make things before we realize we are indeed in a simulation.

Well, joke's on the machines, because I've been saying we are in a simulation for months now!

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

In true GOP fashion ol’ Ted showed up at the end trying to take credit for something he didn’t actually do. Meaning he only actually self quarantined for the final 4 days of a recommended 14 day quarantine.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The weird thing about the run on toilet paper is it’s currently only at retail street level.  The manufacturer/distributor side isn’t seeing a panic like in the sanitizer/disinfectant sector.

They got shit for days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Cruz went into 'self-quarantine' about 10 days after he was in contact with the guy at CPAC who tested positive.  This interaction with Abascal was between CPAC and when he went into quarantine. 

Also - pretty presumptuous of Ted to think that his family wants to go out to eat with him, or even be seen in public with him.

Was it even that long?  I thought it was just since this past Sunday.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

The best way, like the best people.

Obviously a payroll tax is superior to simply handing out cash for getting money into people's hands. And we obviously want to incentivize people to go to work during the spread of a highly infectious disease.

What a useless sack of shit.

No shit. And a great time to directly reduce social security and medicare funding too.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk