Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What sources are claiming his height isn't accurate?

Dan Patrick said a scout he trusted said he thinks that his height was somehow inflated, and that if he refuses to be measured at his pro day, it will be telling. That scout was probably relying on his eyes that he uses to see that Kyler Murray is not 5'10"+ tall.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Dan Patrick said a scout he trusted said he thinks that his height was somehow inflated, and that if he refuses to be measured at his pro day, it will be telling. That scout was probably relying on his eyes that he uses to see that Kyler Murray is not 5'10"+ tall.

Thanks.  That seems backwards to me.  Logic would say it would get inflated at the OU pro day not the combine.  What reason does the NFL have to inflate his height?  They are the ones that are fixing to draft him, so if his height matters you'd think they'd want to be accurate.

Thanks.  That seems backwards to me.  Logic would say it would get inflated at the OU pro day not the combine.  What reason does the NFL have to inflate his height?  They are the ones that are fixing to draft him, so if his height matters you'd think they'd want to be accurate.
To make a ridiculously short height not be the story of the combine is the only thing I could think of. Still doesn't make much sense, but neither does the height they measured him at.

Regarding height fuckery: two words: Elbow. Macaroni.

Make a half-cup of elbow macaroni, but with ink instead of plain water.

Allow it to cool.

Apply liberal amount of Super Glue to top of head, pat on a sufficient thickness of macaroni to add desired height, and comb hair over it.

Allow to dry for at least two hours.

Get measured.

Profit.

Note: you may substitute other substances, such as dead cockroaches or dog turds, but the overall effect will remain. 

15 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Regarding height fuckery: two words: Elbow. Macaroni.

Make a half-cup of elbow macaroni, but with ink instead of plain water.

Allow it to cool.

Apply liberal amount of Super Glue to top of head, pat on a sufficient thickness of macaroni to add desired height, and comb hair over it.

Allow to dry for at least two hours.

Get measured.

Profit.

Added bonus:  After the combine you can reconstitute the macaroni, and you have your lunch.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Kyler-Murray-NFL-Draft-2019-Combine-Charlie-Casserly--129873522/#129873522_1

Charlie Casserly's report...

"The NFL Network analyst and former longtime NFL general manager said on Tuesday that he heard awful things about potential No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray after his appearance at the NFL Combine, off-the-wall comments that have since gone viral as the biggest news item in Indianapolis."

Casserly said Murray isn't the prospect he promises to be as a polarizing option under center and there's a lot of risk involved with drafting him high.

"(Murray) better hope Kliff Kingsbury takes him No. 1 because this was not good," Casserly said on television. "These were the worst comments I ever got on a high-rated quarterback and I've been doing this a long time. Leadership — not good. Study habits — not good. The board work — below not good. Not good at all in any of those areas, raising concerns about what this guy is going to do.

"Now, people will say, 'We're going to compare him to Patrick Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Baker Mayfield,'...but those guys are much different. Those guys, you never questioned them about their ability on the board, you never questioned them about their leadership ability, their work habits. They were outstanding in those areas. This guy is not outstanding in those areas, and it showed up in the interview."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just so folks know, Gil Brandt has a huge crush on Lincoln Riley...... So not surprising to see Gil defend Kyler probably at LR's request.

Edited by LTtxfan

Casserly seems to have back-tracked a tad.

“Arm strength? He can make all the throws. Vision? It’s hard to read vision in this offense but you do see him sit there and have poise in the pocket and be able to see the field. And in running ability, guy is an excellent runner with the football. I think he’s got Russell Wilson arm strength and Russell Wilson running ability. I think this guy has got all the potential in the world to be a successful quarterback in the National Football League. And [Patrick] Mahomes—let’s bring up Mahomes for a second. Compare him and Mahomes on the college tape, I put this guy ahead of Mahomes.”

NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly on Kyler Murray. This was Casserly’s second run at it, after his more critical look earlier in the week was panned by a pitch-fork-and-torch internet mob. So where’s the truth? Here’s what I heard on Murray’s meetings … Several teams didn’t talk much football with him. Those clubs found him introverted and to himself at first, but left feeling like he was a very confident kid that was a little quiet. Those who did put him on the board that I spoke to said he wasn’t great in that area, but added that as a one-year starter who split his focus with baseball for part of college. So he’s got some work to do to get better there. And that is to say that Casserly wasn’t as far off base as some made him out to be.

SI.com - Monday Morning Quarterback

18 minutes ago, fellside said:

Casserly is a moron who made up a story and got called out on it.

Maybe.....

But Charlie's report on concerns about Kyler on leadership and football knowledge are believable.  Kyler has always seemed like a spoiled immature kid..... still seems to have a higher potential NFL bust probability.

Story is out that apparently Casserly is available for hire for training for interviews, etc. for the combine. Kind of makes him not as trustworthy on that when he could easily be 1) trying to throw shade on KM to help one of his clients, and/or 2) encourage kids in the future to hire him so they don't "bomb like KM."  

I have no idea whether he was told anything or not, but his backtrack combined with a blatant conflict of interest isn't a good look.

You know what else isn't a good look?

Running an alleged Academic Institution and have a decades long historical pattern of accepting abusive players to play for your football team, with ample evidence that shows thier transgressions, with no regards to their victims or potential future victims on campus.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Story is out that apparently Casserly is available for hire for training for interviews, etc. for the combine. Kind of makes him not as trustworthy on that when he could easily be 1) trying to throw shade on KM to help one of his clients, and/or 2) encourage kids in the future to hire him so they don't "bomb like KM."  
I have no idea whether he was told anything or not, but his backtrack combined with a blatant conflict of interest isn't a good look.

Nice conspiracy theory

Charlie Casserly was a fucking know-it-all too stupid to draft Vince Young # 1 for the Houston Texans.  Fuck him and Chip Brown forever.  A lot of things might have been different for the Texans and for Vince if McNair had not listened to this yellow teeth Yankee idiot.  I don't care for Kyler Murray, but Casserly is a moron.  

• Like 3

Yeah unless he made it all up, this is a case of him hearing from people how Kyler did and just let it out and got shit on for it.  He's being demonized like HE said Kyler sucks and what HE thinks about his leadership and such, when he was just repeating what he heard.

Now his track record recently isn't of someone you should trust...but damn sure if he made it up he should be killed for it.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Yeah unless he made it all up, this is a case of him hearing from people how Kyler did and just let it out and got shit on for it.  He's being demonized like HE said Kyler sucks and what HE thinks about his leadership and such, when he was just repeating what he heard.

Now his track record recently isn't of someone you should trust...but damn sure if he made it up he should be killed for it.

On the other hand, fuck Kyler.

Oh, and 0U sucks.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:56 PM, Go Pokes said:

I want it on record that I did not say this.  Fuck that.  I'm Abe Simpsoning my way out of this thread.  ChiTown was right

Surly's collective reaction when a non-Texas fan posts about Vince.

tenor.gif

Edited by F250
  • Like 3

My eyes tell me he's around 5' 8".

I decided to look up some height predictors based on arm span and hand length. I found a few that use one or the other and a study that uses both. I decided to throw Kyler's measurements in to the equation for both arm span and hand length to see what his predicted height is. 

Here's the regression formula from the paper I used if anyone wants to check for themselves. The formula is for males and you'll have to convert his combine numbers to cm.

54.399 + (0.606) Arm span + (0.741) Hand

http://medind.nic.in/gaa/t15/i1/gaat15i1p105.pdf

The model predicts he is 178.914 cm tall. That equals 5' 10.4".

They found no statistically significant difference between measured (actual) height and predicted height, so this model does a good job of predicting actual height. 

However, the margin of error is +/- 1.87 inches and the study is based on an Indian sub-continent population.

To add to those caveats, Kyler has really short arms and relatively large hands. Arm span is typically a decent indicator of height, or a little longer than the actual height in many athletes. Kyler's wingspan is 5' 9.4".

Edited by theropods

12 hours ago, fellside said:

Casserly is a moron who made up a story and got called out on it.

Has anyone seen this bozo's list of drafted qb's?  He's a complete fucking idiot.  Believe Kyler will suck shit through a straw but don't use this dumb motherfucker as some sort of reference.  You're much better off referencing the venerable Mr.Phlegm when discussing how shitty some nfl qb will be. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Has anyone seen this bozo's list of drafted qb's?  He's a complete fucking idiot.  Believe Kyler will suck shit through a straw but don't use this dumb motherfucker as some sort of reference.  You're much better off referencing the venerable Mr.Phlegm when discussing how shitty some nfl qb will be. 

Oh no, you didn't, not the muledick signal?

• Haha 1