Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

It seems pretty obvious that this is another way to get at privatizing education.  If you want your kids in college, you must get them into a private school.  Otherwise, they'll be fit to be a mechanic or an electrician when they get done, but not much else.  As someone who grew up in a town with 1 high school, 1 middle school, and 1 elementary school, oh and no private schools, I continue to wonder how they think that's going to work in places like that. They are basically dooming their biggest supporters to a future of ditch digging and driving more people who care about their kids' education to larger population centers.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TornACL said:

If we had a competent administration, I could get behind the combo of Labor & Education Departments.

But we've seen enough of the Trump Admin now to be sure they'll handle this like a monkey fucking a football.

Your expectations are way too high.

2 minutes ago, TornACL said:

If we had a competent administration, I could get behind the combo of Labor & Education Departments.

But we've seen enough of the Trump Admin now to be sure they'll handle this like a monkey fucking a football.

Labor and Education need to be kept as far away from one another as humanly possible.

3 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

It seems pretty obvious that this is another way to get at privatizing education.  If you want your kids in college, you must get them into a private school.  Otherwise, they'll be fit to be a mechanic or an electrician when they get done, but not much else.  As someone who grew up in a town with 1 high school, 1 middle school, and 1 elementary school, oh and no private schools, I continue to wonder how they think that's going to work in places like that. They are basically dooming their biggest supporters to a future of ditch digging and driving more people who care about their kids' education to larger population centers.  

This is the one way the Republican party could finally lose rural voters I believe.  The local school district is a big source of pride in small towns and there are no private options in most of them as you mentioned.  The faction who are pushing it are mainly the suburban types I believe and if they keep at it, it will eventually cause a schism.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

They know it won’t work.  That’s the whole point.  Keep their base uneducated, under-employed, and angry.  Ignorant people are less likely to understand the real root of their predicament, and more likely to buy into scapegoating conspiracy theories offered by populist autocrats.  The best way to ensure support from the ignorant is to keep them ignorant.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Of course it makes sense for economic growth to allow for the free movement of labor - Adam Smith was for open borders. 

https://www.econlib.org/library/Smith/smWN.html?chapter_num=13#book-reader

This issue is a great litmus test for separating the "true believer" libertarians from closeted conservatives. 

I'd say that about 95% of conservatives have never supported free market principles.

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s always been low hanging fruit for the rich elite to placate the poor uneducated whites with notions that their grievances are to blame on colored people and immigrants while they exploit their labor for absurd profits. 

Strategy was invented in Colonial Virginia when the planters suddenly realized they were vastly outnumbered by slaves, free blacks, and white riff raff. They had to either share the wealth or set them all against each other, and they chose the latter, and it's been the same ever since.  

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Strategy was invented in Colonial Virginia when the planters suddenly realized they were vastly outnumbered by slaves, free blacks, and white riff raff. They had to either share the wealth or set them all against each other, and they chose the latter, and it's been the same ever since.  

You aren't wrong. They learned from the best.

England, I'm looking at you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

They know it won’t work.  That’s the whole point.  Keep their base uneducated, under-employed, and angry.  Ignorant people are less likely to understand the real root of their predicament, and more likely to buy into scapegoating conspiracy theories offered by populist autocrats.  The best way to ensure support from the ignorant is to keep them ignorant.

giphy.webp

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The GOP in 2018 is a Jerry Springer audience, but stupider.

holy fuck that is remarkably frightening. 

trump could be chanting on butt probes for all these morons would ride along

man that is some frightening shit

Imagine sitting in this cabinet meeting and listening to this functionally illiterate sociopath prattle on with his lies. Guys like Mattis. You're an educated and highly-accomplished professional. How did it come to this? I bust my ass for 40 years and continue to bust it for this dotard. How did I arrive at this place in life?

Edited by retread
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

While they're looking in that direction, maybe they could look for a pair of balls.  Would be interesting to know if there's a single pair in the room.

I think it takes pretty big balls to whore yourself out to serve in this administration.  No integrity or conviction mind you, but balls of steel.

7 minutes ago, deech said:

I think it takes pretty big balls to whore yourself out to serve in this administration.  No integrity or conviction mind you, but balls of steel.

It's amazing to watch how everything they say is framed in terms of exaggerated praise for the president.  Like every single word.   Sycophancy is nothing new, but I've never seen anything like this scale. 

11 minutes ago, deech said:

I'd argue that it is a complete lack of self-respect, not balls.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Trump just got schooled in the Art of Trolling. 

I guarantee you Trump does not know he got trolled.  No way in hell he even knows what the Hague is.  He just thinks a pretty castle is waiting for him to buy and splash his name on after he repaints it in gold leaf.

Hey guys, not to worry. Trump says that the kid facilities are "the nicest that people have seen".  So crisis averted. I didn't realize we had people in the country who had vast experience in touring and judging toddler jails, but apparently we do, and they say we have the BEST toddler jails.

• Like 2

Just now, TornACL said:

Hey guys, not to worry. Trump says that the kid facilities are "the nicest that people have seen".  So crisis averted. I didn't realize we had people in the country who had vast experience in touring and judging toddler jails, but apparently we do, and they say we have the BEST toddler jails.

He's not wrong.  It's just that the people he's talking about are his new buddies from North Korea. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Lol at there was no hidden message.

But the MSM needs to stay focused on these kid centers.  Keep pushing 

100% this.  There should be no let up until we hear the story of the last kid being reunited with his or her parents.

Not a hidden message, but it's certainly poetic.  Not a single person in the Trump family or administration really gives a fuck about anyone or anything except themselves.  Melania is just another thoughtless, tone deaf extension of her husband. 

It's like a person about to visit Auschwitz for the day, looking through their wardrobe and thinking, "Ha! I love this Borat shirt. That's what I'm going to wear."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Not a hidden message, but it's certainly poetic.  Not a single person in the Trump family or administration really gives a fuck about anyone or anything except themselves.  Melania is just another thoughtless, tone deaf extension of her husband. 

It's like a person about to visit Auschwitz for the day, looking through their wardrobe and thinking, "Ha! I love this Borat shirt. That's what I'm going to wear."

Exactly.   The message is that she gave zero thought to the message, because she is completely out of touch with what is happening. 

But of course the party of "A black guy in a tan suit!" is going to act like this is a bullshit wardrobe complaint.