COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

To JSDs point above though if you look at cases for Monday 8/9 vs Monday 8/2 it is a nice decline. (445 vs 693) for Travis County. Hopefully this will carry into the rest of the week

Hospitalizations however are not declining and we are now at 557 vs 408 last Monday.

The case data below includes Friday as I left for vacation Saturday and was busy getting prepped for it. Getting out of TC seemed like a good move to make.Still skewing younger. It is scare hospitalizations are ramping so much in spite of cases skewing younger.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/9 vs 8/5 7 56 99 232 223 129 88 51 17 10 912
% of Daily Change 0.77% 6.14% 10.86% 25.44% 24.45% 14.14% 9.65% 5.59% 1.86% 1.10%  
% of Total Cases 0.64% 4.50% 10.73% 26.03% 20.82% 14.79% 10.98% 6.40% 3.10% 1.99%  

On the surface sort of makes sense though on hospitalizations and youngs.  Even with first two waves there was a portion of younger folks going to the hospital.  Now you have a variant that they are way more likely to catch and <40 makes up a much larger percent of both the population and the unvaxxed population than 65+ so more field to plow with a bigger tractor this time around.    Has anybody seen age breakdown of hospitalizations as % of confirmed cases by age tranche SINCE da Delta came to play?  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

On the surface sort of makes sense though on hospitalizations and youngs.  Even with first two waves there was a portion of younger folks going to the hospital.  Now you have a variant that they are way more likely to catch and <40 makes up a much larger percent of both the population and the unvaxxed population than 65+ so more field to plow with a bigger tractor this time around.    Has anybody seen age breakdown of hospitalizations as % of confirmed cases by age tranche SINCE da Delta came to play?  

Travis County reports by age really weird. For Week ending 8/1 they are showing ~101 people hospitalized so I don't know if they don't bother capturing the age group data as thoroughly as they do cases and deaths but hospitalizations have always been weirdly reported. They do show ~77% of the age based cases they report are from people over 40.

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Looks like I may be furloughed again thx to hot wheels

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-takes-action-to-mitigate-rise-in-covid-19-cases-in-texas

Thx for opening the state full throttle without mandates and then expecting healthcare to bend over backwards

E8OgJxsWEAAHs5U.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 5

32 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

To JSDs point above though if you look at cases for Monday 8/9 vs Monday 8/2 it is a nice decline. (445 vs 693) for Travis County. Hopefully this will carry into the rest of the week

Hospitalizations however are not declining and we are now at 557 vs 408 last Monday.

The case data below includes Friday as I left for vacation Saturday and was busy getting prepped for it. Getting out of TC seemed like a good move to make.Still skewing younger. It is scare hospitalizations are ramping so much in spite of cases skewing younger.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/9 vs 8/5 7 56 99 232 223 129 88 51 17 10 912
% of Daily Change 0.77% 6.14% 10.86% 25.44% 24.45% 14.14% 9.65% 5.59% 1.86% 1.10%  
% of Total Cases 0.64% 4.50% 10.73% 26.03% 20.82% 14.79% 10.98% 6.40% 3.10% 1.99%  

Hospitalization trails cases as we know. Is it trailing by the same time lag as previous spikes?  We should have firm takeoff today takeoff points now. 

32 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Governor Abbott is directing the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) and DSHS to open additional COVID-19 antibody infusion centers in communities across the state. These infusion centers will treat COVID-19 patients who do not need hospitalization with strawberry- and apple-flavored horse paste that can prevent their condition from worsening and requiring hospital care. While DSHS admits that the horse paste is normally used to treat parasites such as worms within horses, Texas A&M believes they've worked out an amount for humans that will prevent low blood pressure, liver damage, vision loss, rapid heart rates, seizures, and layers of skin peeling off. Officials state that they will not use the carrot-flavored horse paste that, even in small amounts, will cause a complete decompression of the lower intestinal tract in humans. These centers also help increase bed capacity in hospitals so that resources are available for the most ill patients who didn't pay attention to everything happening in the previous 16 months and who did not make an informed decision to take the fucking vaccine. The existing infusion center in Lubbock will expand capacity this week, and DSHS will launch five new centers throughout Texas beginning with a facility in San Antonio tomorrow. The State deployed similar measures in early 2021 to communities across Texas. Patients must meet certain criteria, must be ill-informed when it comes to modern medicine, not look too closely at the ingredients or list of side effects, and have a referral from a doctor.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, Lobo said:

If you had Texas A&M and Horse Lube on your 2021 Bingo Card, you are today's big winner!  And also will be crowned "Captain Obvious"  

This is different, though. aggy usually lubes themselves up for the horses.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hospitalization trails cases as we know. Is it trailing by the same time lag as previous spikes?  We should have firm takeoff today takeoff points now. 

Hospitalizations seem to be following the same general curve, but like I said above we've already broken ICU and Vent usage even though hospitalizations aren't breaking records.  That's what really concerns me.

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If you had Texas A&M and Horse Lube on your 2021 Bingo Card, you are today's big winner!  And also will be crowned "Captain Obvious"  

In case you were wondering how to ingest the horse paste, TexAgs has you covered.

My favorite was when someone sincerely asked if you could buy it OTC at Tractor Supply or if you needed a vet scrip. 

3 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

In case you were wondering how to ingest the horse paste, TexAgs has you covered.

My favorite was when someone sincerely asked if you could buy it OTC at Tractor Supply or if you needed a vet scrip. 

Lol-

theres a url below this text in the post too

We are offering hydroxychloroquine and curbside ozone therapy for COVID19 treatment and prevention if appropriate. Please call to schedule a Telemedicine consultation at 254.773.8339. As our commitment to the community, we are are charging $125 for consultation and $5 a nominal fee just to cover our expenses for curbside nasal ozone

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Austin hitting international news. 

The Texas trauma service area that includes Austin only has six available ICU beds, 499 available hospital beds and 313 available ventilators – a stunning dearth of resources for a population nearly 2.4 million strong.

In Austin’s metropolitan statistical area, 510 Covid patients are currently hospitalized, 184 are in the ICU, and 102 are on ventilators.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/09/austin-catastrophe-epicenter-again-pandemic

"between early February and mid-July, roughly 99.5% of Texans who died from the virus were unvaccinated"

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/north-texas-covid-updates-third-adult-patients-covid-childrens-hospitals-97-capacity/287-c4dd3a28-ce45-4b51-beda-b5cbf98457ec

Dallas County officials say there were no ICU beds for children in the county and there were about a dozen left for adults

Children's hospitals in North Texas are over 97% capacity and available beds for adults are also declining, health officials said Monday.

"This represents 16.59% of bed capacity and 39.51% of adult ICU patients which means well over a third of our adult ICU patients have COVID-19," Love said. He said the majority of patients are not vaccinated.

Not good that almost 40% of ICU patients have covid up there.

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

uhhhhhh… why in the fuck do i keep seeing this shit video?

This doctor is almost completely wrong. It’s hard to be that wrong but he gave it a valiant effort. He will go down in the legends of misinformation allong with the demon sperm doctor.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Newdoc said:

This doctor is almost completely wrong. It’s hard to be that wrong but he gave it a valiant effort. He will go down in the legends of misinformation allong with the demon sperm doctor.

That guy claims a lot of things. You say he’s almost completely wrong. What is he not wrong about?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Mt. Vernon hired Briles. They are well versed in bending facts to suit a narrative. 

different mt vernon - this is from Indiana.  I don't know why everyone is doubting this.  Everyone knows all the best science comes out of local school board meetings.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

From a friend at Methodist med center:

"The 3 covid ecmos in CICU today are 28, 29, 34 years old. Unvaccinated. Mine has absolutely no medical history. Wish young people understood how serious this can be"

Is ECMO a vent?  Seems like something even more extreme than a ventilator.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.  an external heart-lung machine, basically.

Edited by drt
not enough coffee to spell things correctly

13 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It is the highest level/last resort of care typically for those that have extreme cardiopulmonary failure. The chances of you coming off ECMO and walking out of the hospital are extremely low. When I used to work in the CVICU at Methodist, we assumed anyone that was placed on ECMO was pretty much a goner

8 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I assume he said his name correctly.  So there's that

There is probably fair doubt about the effectiveness of masks with children. The effectiveness is greater than 0, so I don't have a problem asking people to wear masks. But do cloth masks help a lot? I don't think we fully know especially when dealing with children under 10 who may struggle to wear it correctly.

FYi about that doctor. I saw online that he's a concierge family medicine doctor. In my limited experience with concierge physicians is that they can run the gamut from good physicians to quacks. On the quack side of things, due to their beliefs and practices, they have no or limited relationships with hospitals. And they don't accept insurance because insurance companies won't approve the changes. Now why this guy is concierge, who knows.

I've tried to look at his practice web site but it seems to be down.  Probably half of the traffic is to see if he will help them get human version of the horse paste, and the other half to laugh at him.

20 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Well 80 is far fewer than 255 cases. I wish they would also breakdown by virtual/non-virtual. The question is how bad is being back to school vs not. Is it (extrapolated 80 x 4.1) 328ish for Aug when in school vs 256 for July when not in school or something else?  GISD is looking at July: 0.42% of staff/students vs August 0.54% of staff and students.  It that 0.12% difference something to be alarmed at for sending kids back to school? How quickly will that grow? 

And these are the right questions to ask.  Adding in, what detrimental effect will virtual school have for kids, and is that cure worse than the prevention?

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

ECMO is basically an artificial heart and lungs. It's what they use to keep patients alive during heart surgery.

You’re thinking of cardiopulmonary bypass. They’re both methods of oxygenating blood outside the body, but with some heart surgery the heart is stopped and the blood is temporarily diverted to a perfusion pump to for oxygenation. When the bypass or valve repair is complete the heart is restarted and then they come off the pump. 

ECMO isn’t commonly used in the OR. It’s most often seen in ICUs where it’s used to essentially help “rest” the heart and lungs. Typically after a heart transplant or maybe a lung injury. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

debbie downer warning. I know that many have looked at the UK as the hope that a skyrocketing delta wave will drop just as dramatically like what India experienced in May/June. The UK definitely has dropped from their daily new case high but the drop plateaued if not went up again.  Hopefully it is a temporary blip.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Governor Abbott is directing the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) and DSHS to open additional COVID-19 antibody infusion centers in communities across the state. These infusion centers will treat COVID-19 patients who do not need hospitalization with strawberry- and apple-flavored horse paste that can prevent their condition from worsening and requiring hospital care. While DSHS admits that the horse paste is normally used to treat parasites such as worms within horses, Texas A&M believes they've worked out an amount for humans that will prevent low blood pressure, liver damage, vision loss, rapid heart rates, seizures, and layers of skin peeling off. Officials state that they will not use the carrot-flavored horse paste that, even in small amounts, will cause a complete decompression of the lower intestinal tract in humans. These centers also help increase bed capacity in hospitals so that resources are available for the most ill patients who didn't pay attention to everything happening in the previous 16 months and who did not make an informed decision to take the fucking vaccine. The existing infusion center in Lubbock will expand capacity this week, and DSHS will launch five new centers throughout Texas beginning with a facility in San Antonio tomorrow. The State deployed similar measures in early 2021 to communities across Texas. Patients must meet certain criteria, must be ill-informed when it comes to modern medicine, not look too closely at the ingredients or list of side effects, and have a referral from a doctor.

I thought this was completely satire. Then I read further and discovered the TexAgs thread. Holy. Shit. People are eating horse paste they get from Tractor Supply (and dosing themselves based on the rate indicated for livestock) while saying not to get vaxxed because there's no science indicating it works. Hell, maybe horse paste does work. I have no idea. But the lack of logic over there is even more striking than I could've imagined. We're so fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I thought this was completely satire. Then I read further and discovered the TexAgs thread. Holy. Shit. People are eating horse paste they get from Tractor Supply (and dosing themselves based on the rate indicated for livestock) while saying not to get vaxxed because there's no science indicating it works. Hell, maybe horse paste does work. I have no idea. But the lack of logic over there is even more striking than I could've imagined. We're so fucked. 

Yes, I commented earlier up thread, but my mom works at a Tractor Supply in rural TX.  They can't keep it stocked even though now they keep it locked up.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

It is the highest level/last resort of care typically for those that have extreme cardiopulmonary failure. The chances of you coming off ECMO and walking out of the hospital are extremely low. When I used to work in the CVICU at Methodist, we assumed anyone that was placed on ECMO was pretty much a goner

Our kids' pediatrician got Covid last year and was placed on an ECMO in Dallas.  He survived, but he is a shadow of his former self.  He gets winded just talking these days. 

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

12 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yes, I commented earlier up thread, but my mom works at a Tractor Supply in rural TX.  They can't keep it stocked even though now they keep it locked up.

It was meant to be satire, but, well....aggy.

The Office Smile GIF

Really shouldn't be surprising, given that those motherfuckers bought into the Qanon batshittery.

Hell, they probably don't think we landed on the moon, because, you know, Alan Bean, a UT grad, was one of the men who walked on the moon, and that's just not possible, got to be BOMC.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And these are the right questions to ask.  Adding in, what detrimental effect will virtual school have for kids, and is that cure worse than the prevention?

interesting how that group and those effects are always the last to be considered if at all.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It was meant to be satire, but, well....aggy.

The Office Smile GIF

Really shouldn't be surprising, given that those motherfuckers bought into the Qanon batshittery.

Hell, they probably don't think we landed on the moon, because, you know, Alan Bean, a UT grad, was one of the men who walked on the moon, and that's just not possible, got to be BOMC.

Several TexAgs advertisers, most notably the George HW Bush Library, finally had to tell TexAgs to cool it with the QAnon thread. The advertisers didn't want their name associated on the same page as QAnon conspiracy theories.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

debbie downer warning. I know that many have looked at the UK as the hope that a skyrocketing delta wave will drop just as dramatically like what India experienced in May/June. The UK definitely has dropped from their daily new case high but the drop plateaued if not went up again.  Hopefully it is a temporary blip.

saw that shoulder forming yesterday.  Just really confused.  Look at the India curve.  Uniform for a totally unvaxxed population.  Case count increased 20x over a two month period to their peak.  UK only 10x.  guessing we will be in-between given vax stats compared**.  

**I'm not a doctor and only an idiot looking at trends and totally guessing.  

51 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

That's the part that is so annoying. They don't have the courage of their convictions, they are just idiots.  They aren't opposed to doing what someone with some perceived authority or knowledge tells them to do- they just want to pick the dumbest person and follow that authority.  If they were all Christian Scientists or whatever sects don't believe in medical care that's goofy and crazy but fine- don't do medical care. But they aren't that.  They want care.  They just want the worst/dumbest possible solution to this thing.

• Hook 'Em 1