Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

1 minute ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

If the money I’m hearing for Evers is right, the old joke about players taking a pay cut to go pro may not be such a joke anymore. 18 yr old kid, $$$, pussy, 6th street…what can possibly go wrong? Not that any of it is necessarily a bad thing but I think some consideration into a kid’s madula oblongata is gonna have to factor in going forward. At my age I’m not even sure I could be trusted with all that. On second thought, I know I shouldn’t be trusted with all that. 

*Ewers (unless you mean Nick Evers)

*medulla

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

If the money I’m hearing for Evers is right, the old joke about players taking a pay cut to go pro may not be such a joke anymore. 18 yr old kid, $$$, pussy, 6th street…what can possibly go wrong? Not that any of it is necessarily a bad thing but I think some consideration into a kid’s madula oblongata is gonna have to factor in going forward. At my age I’m not even sure I could be trusted with all that. On second thought, I know I shouldn’t be trusted with all that. 

I wonder how quickly the thought process will change from “he’s the savior of our program” if he comes here to “he’s made so much cheddar in NIL he doesn’t need to care about football”, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Very reminiscent of the way people shit on the Greg Davis banner. Or when I said we should wear black to Texas games until Mack was fired. Or when I said we should boycott the K-State game.

Outward signs do matter to people. They do garner attention. And if you don't want to be involved, don't be involved, but don't shit on the people who care. People make a big deal about our boosters meddling in the program, yet I think we really have the opposite problem. Too many alums/fans are content to let it ride instead of being passionate about being the best program we can be. No one else with our resources would tolerate the mediocrity (at best) we have endured for a decade. 

Joining this group has nothing to do with caring.

1 hour ago, Aslan24 said:

I'm interested to see how his offense looks against Power 5 competition. WKU only faced two defenses in the top 50 for yards per game, and one of them was Army. They faced three or four defenses that ranked outside the top 100. That's not to say that he can't figure it out against the Big 12, I'm just curious to see how he adapts to better athletes.

FEI has them as the #19 OFEI team with a comparable schedule to Cincinatti (#24 OFEI team)

funny enough TTU has the 34 OFEI ranking so far lol

6 minutes ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

I wonder how quickly the thought process will change from “he’s the savior of our program” if he comes here to “he’s made so much cheddar in NIL he doesn’t need to care about football”, lol. 

very

3 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

and you do you. Thats the point.

Mine, too. My beef is with people shitting on other people who want to be proactive. Beyond tweeting at recruits or their families, I really don't care what people do. We should all contribute in the ways that we can.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I mean, thats clearly bullshit, but if Casey and Card do transfer out after a Quinn committment - Myles B. would be a hell of a pickup as a backup.  Given how young the QB room is going to be - can't hurt to have an 8th year Senior in the room.

Ok, just keep sleeping on Charles Wright. See what happens. 

21 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

For idiots like me, who are the Double Eagle guys?

“I hate the fucking Eagles, man!” - The other Lebowski. 

15 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

*Ewers (unless you mean Nick Evers)

*medulla

momma GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Mine, too. My beef is with people shitting on other people who want to be proactive. Beyond tweeting at recruits or their families, I really don't care what people do. We should all contribute in the ways that we can.

Aside from just being generally pathetic and aggy, having the petition started by one of the the guys who I recently listened to lecture us on the surly pod about "don't tweet at 'cruits!" literally start a petition to show a 'cruit that Longhorn love seems like a distinction w/o a difference.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I think it is actually 1 dude running 2 accounts. 1 throwing shade on the idiots out there on message boards and a sports rumor Twitter as well.  I got that vibe from them last year and how they were scavenging all the rumor boards without a real outlet..

The Athletic had a feature on him: https://theathletic.com/2948077/2021/11/15/to-expose-some-of-the-coldest-battiest-college-football-takes-you-have-to-be-devoted-meet-pete-messageboardgeniuses/

it included this gem:

Every once in a while, though, a gem is presented from a fan base you’d least expect. Each month, Pete saves screenshots of some of his favorite message board posts, and as the end of the month approaches, he ranks the top 25 posts the last four weeks. No. 1 in September came from a Toledo message board in which a dedicated Blades poster named @falconplucker, who has been on the site since 2007 and posted 1,880 times, went in-depth on a recreational peyote trip and how his drug-induced meeting with Toledo coach Jason Candle was going to help the team.

1-2-1024x257.png

Text:

Spoiler

To expose the coldest, battiest college football takes, you have to be devoted. Meet Pete and Message Board Geniuses

Christopher Kamrani Nov 15, 2021 comment-icon.png 49 save-icon.png

Incoming call. 

NO CALLER ID.

“Yeah, this is Pete.”

Meet Pete. He has asked to remain only as Pete, because Pete has a real job, with real responsibilities, despite moonlighting as one of the newer, more influential voices within the cult of college football. What Pete has undertaken since launching one of the more obscure and demanding social media accounts last August is finding a way — and the time — to take the spiking daily temperature of college football fan bases across the country. The Twitter account @BoardGeniuses, now with nearly 28,000 followers and growing rapidly each week, showcases the lunacy and the humor, the pathetic and the brilliant, on college football message boards nationwide.

“Initially, it really didn’t get much traction,” Pete says. “In fact, I almost stopped doing it a couple times because it didn’t get a lot of traction.”

As recently as August, the account was hovering around 3,000 followers, and Pete was questioning if it was worth the amount of time he devoted in every hour of his day, seven days a week. Lightning struck. ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt followed. Then other prominent media minds did, too. Then more fans from every corner of the college football multiverse. Pete was scouring the deepest corners of the fixated, flummoxed and fervent portions of the sports internet to unearth just how truly bonkers some posts are.

Pete is a Utah State alumnus and fan. He never was a serial message board poster himself, but would occasionally log on to try to understand what his contemporaries were thinking. A lot of them he knew, despite their inane and random screen names.

“Most of them were, what I always considered to be, fairly intelligent, emotionally mature people,” Pete says, “and then I would see stuff I would post on there. It was just nuts. It bothered me, but it was also entertaining, so then I started going to other boards to see: Are other schools’ fans just as nuts?”

Oh, yes. Undeniably.

To expose some of the coldest, most asinine sports takes known to mankind, you have to be devoted. In-season, Pete has a hardwired routine. Every 10 to 15 minutes of every hour, he will peruse message boards he knows will be ripe for posts worth disseminating to the world. That’s just during the weekdays. On weekends, he will have varying message boards surrounding some of the biggest games that Saturday cued up and ready to refresh either on his phone or laptop. If he’s out running errands, a mental timer still goes off. If he’s at a Saturday rec league game for one of his kids, it still rings. (His wife and kids still do not know that he is this esoteric mastermind.) “Sometimes,” Pete says, “I wished I had never started doing the in-game posts.”

But they’re too irrational to ignore. For example, when Kansas took a 7-0 first-quarter lead on No. 4 and undefeated Oklahoma on Oct. 30, Pete knew the message boards were about to be doused in kerosene and lit by someone. Anyone.

“I know someone is going to be pissed and want to fire Lincoln Riley because they’re down 7-0 in the first quarter,” Pete says, chuckling.

By Saturday, when the Sooners lost their first game of the season to Baylor, it was clear to one poster that “some people are just better off assistants.”

Pete has an array of paid memberships and free memberships to message boards that run the gamut. And, because you knew this was destined to be an integral part of this story, Pete was asked to list the message boards that, regardless of outcome or ranking each week, deliver the goods.

“Well,” Pete says, “there’s many.”

Texas A&M.

LSU.

Clemson.

Nebraska.

Miami.

Florida State.

Oklahoma.

Texas.

What, then, is the common thread for a “good” message board from his cherry-picking perspective?

“If the board is free, you’ll probably get crazier stuff on a board that’s free,” he said. “People who are paying for a board are usually exchanging different types of thought in terms of recruiting, rumors, things like that. There’s still pretty good stuff on paid boards. Free boards typically have more crazy stuff.”

As for the most docile, Pete says the message boards out West are predictably as logical as it gets. The measuring stick there is going to be skewed no matter what based on the entirety of this very unique, very warped world in which college football fans exist. He says Oregon and UCLA are just too logical at times. USC can get nutty based on the various coaching search rumors, but that’s about it.

“Outside of BYU,” he says, “everyone out West is pretty reasonable and understands their place in the world, I guess you could say.”

There’s always someone at Texas A&M who posts that an impending season will end up being a 15-0 campaign and with the Aggies hoisting a national trophy. There’s someone who will predict Texas Tech will find a way to get Urban Meyer out of Jacksonville and to Lubbock. Those takes are among the tamest. To anyone who’s ever forgone tying a rope around their ankle before cliff diving into these wacky waters like Pete, you understand that these domains can be predictable: filled with embarrassing typos from aimless avatars demanding jobs lost or conspiracy theories as to why one team is either struggling or thriving.

Geographically, there’s one conference that dominates the lunacy unlike any other: “It’s the SEC by a mile, and it’s not even close,” Pete says.

Every once in a while, though, a gem is presented from a fan base you’d least expect. Each month, Pete saves screenshots of some of his favorite message board posts, and as the end of the month approaches, he ranks the top 25 posts the last four weeks. No. 1 in September came from a Toledo message board in which a dedicated Blades poster named @falconplucker, who has been on the site since 2007 and posted 1,880 times, went in-depth on a recreational peyote trip and how his drug-induced meeting with Toledo coach Jason Candle was going to help the team.

1-2-1024x257.png

Peyote-caused adventures aside, message boards have been a place where “insiders” come to actually share information that turns out to be true before official news breaks. Pete says in late October there was a post on a TCU message board that stated someone inside the Oklahoma athletic department knew that longtime coach Gary Patterson was going to be let go that Sunday. It was true. But Pete isn’t out to necessarily discern which posts have real informational legs or not. He enjoys watching the conspiracy theorists try and piece theoretical puzzles together digitally with the help of other very passionate fans who want to find a morsel of truth in this digital sea of ambiguity.

“People go there for two things: They go there just to vent and to try to get inside info,” Pete says. “There’s people that are going to give them inside info. Whether that’s legit or not, I don’t think people really care. They just want to feel like they have some piece of information.”

Example: Pete knows that if he were to go on an Oklahoma message board and write that he knows a guy who knows a guy who knows Lincoln Riley and that Riley would accept the Dallas Cowboys job if it were to become open, that would undoubtedly get traction.

“Somebody is going to run with that like they’ve got inside info,” Pete says, “even though it’s one post and nobody knows who I am.”

The desire to be in the know in college football is second-to-none. Just ask Pete.

Message-board culture is the most pronounced in college football. It’s where fans and boosters and donors and alumni go to blow off steam and share mainly very incongruent information on the state of their programs. Sure, there are devoted message boards for pro leagues and even college basketball. But there’s something about college football that just syncs perfectly — a perfectly flawed synchronization — with message boards.

“I think there’s a little bit of ownership that everybody has in their team in the sense that if you’re a fan, you’re a fan because you went to that school, you carried a diploma, you’re one with the university,” Pete explains. “Or you grew up going to those games and your dad was a fan and your grandpa was probably a fan, so there’s something inside of you that’s emotionally tied. As the football team goes, so goes you. If they lose, it’s almost like you lose a part of yourself or you feel slighted in a sense. If they win, you feel better about yourself. There’s more of an emotional tie. I can choose to cheer for somebody else. I can’t choose to cheer for another college team. I am who I am.”

Pete says he cannot remember receiving one nasty email since starting this journey in August 2020. Now that the account’s popularity is soaring, he routinely gets tips from followers on which fan base is losing its collective mind. Pete knows. He’s always one step ahead. To the best of his knowledge, does Pete think, though, that various coaching staffs across the country are keeping tabs on the message board hysteria? He has heard of graduate assistants being tasked with following what some fans are shouting into the ether in all caps. Hell, even Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne follows the Twitter account.

“Maybe it’s just for sheer entertainment that he follows,” Pete says. “But I don’t think head coaches are scouring it looking for who they should start at quarterback or whatever.”

As he’s swiftly reminded, there are plenty of head coaches flooding the message boards as is.

2 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Aside from just being generally pathetic and aggy, having the petition started by one of the the guys who I recently listened to lecture us on the surly pod about "don't tweet at 'cruits!" literally start a petition to show a 'cruit that Longhorn love seems like a distinction w/o a difference.

I signed pretty much only because of who posted it.

Does this also mean I can tweet at 'croots now?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Lol it isnt that serious. I was asked for a reason to do something of this ilk, it is a serious concern in the Ewers camp about the reception Quinn would receive coming to Texas. If you have a better way to do that then be my guest

• Hook 'Em 2

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust