Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I don’t care about soccer.  I didn’t care about a comedy of people who works at a bar, or a paper company, or a Wal-Mart type superstore.  Doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the show or the characters 

did you just include superstore in a grouping with the office and cheers?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I don’t care about soccer.  I didn’t care about a comedy of people who works at a bar, or a paper company, or a Wal-Mart type superstore.  Doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the show or the characters 

How do you feel about vampires from Staten Island and their familiar?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

What's the consensus on how Ted handles Nate? remember its not just that he knows Nate betrayed him, there will be a newspaper article that he (Ted) had a breakdown. Ted and the team have to deal with that story.

1 - Ted fires Nate the next day

2 - Ted takes his time to decide what to do. Talks to the Doc?

3 - Ted does nothing; tries to fix Nate

4 - Nate quits the job

My guess is 1. Ted doesn't fire Nate the second he walks in the door but Nate doesn't survive that day. But my exact guess would be that Ted is processing the betrayal info when Nate makes some slightly arrogant, but inoffensive comment. Ted fires him on the spot. Which shocks Beard and Roy since they don't have the full story.

One big unknown is how or if Roy will deal with Nate kissing Keeley. As gruff as Roy comes across, we've never seen him go after someone with much more than a grunt and glare. It's more implied that he's ready to throw down at the drop of a hat.

EDIT: Maybe Beard and Roy won't be as shocked since they're both confused by Nate's behavior. Ted is the one completely in the dark about Nate's recent changes. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What's the consensus on how Ted handles Nate? remember its not just that he knows Nate betrayed him, there will be a newspaper article that he (Ted) had a breakdown. Ted and the team have to deal with that story.

1 - Ted fires Nate the next day

2 - Ted takes his time to decide what to do. Talks to the Doc?

3 - Ted does nothing; tries to fix Nate

4 - Nate quits the job

My guess is 1. Ted doesn't fire Nate the second he walks in the door but Nate doesn't survive that day. But my exact guess would be that Ted is processing the betrayal info when Nate makes some slightly arrogant, but inoffensive comment. Ted fires him on the spot. Which shocks Beard and Roy since they don't have the full story.

One big unknown is how or if Roy will deal with Nate kissing Keeley. As gruff as Roy comes across, we've never seen him go after someone with much more than a grunt and glare. It's more implied that he's ready to throw down at the drop of a hat.

EDIT: Maybe Beard and Roy won't be as shocked since they're both confused by Nate's behavior. Ted is the one completely in the dark about Nate's recent changes. 

I'm getting a sense that we may not need to see Ted fire Nate because, as was said above, Karma Police playing at the credit roll is some serious foreshadowing (as is a 7 move exit in a speeding Lambo).  

I think something terrible is going to happen to Nate.

Absolutely love the show, and enjoyed this thread for a little bit.  But 20 fucking pages of bitch tits and dumbfuckery was an absolute beatdown to catch up on.  My God, this is as fucked off as the original Covid thread in DT.  Bunch of fucking mongoloids pissing in the wind 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

beard and roy kent know nate's behavior is bad but they also see the success nate has had strategically so they'd be torn.  i think after an initial fallout there's a reconciliation, it goes with the flow of the show.  what's sam going to do?  is his heart in richmond or does he feel a pull/obligation to his homeland?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I'm getting a sense that we may not need to see Ted fire Nate because, as was said above, Karma Police playing at the credit roll is some serious foreshadowing (as is a 7 move exit in a speeding Lambo).  

The mere thought of the season opening with a dog getting killed by a soccer ball and ending with Nate getting hit by Colin's Lambo.

Love it. *Chef's kiss* 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

still think it’s strange that an asst coach is bitching about never getting any credit when he was all over the newspaper/social media a few weeks earlier for his specific strategy, which i thought was kinda unrealistic at the time. 

We actually have to take Nate's word that Lasso is getting any credit with the public or press to begin with. Maybe it's implied that Lasso is getting some credit given that the team has turned it around, although that isn't apparent to a casual viewer.

Another dark option about Nate is that Nate decides to kill himself. Since the show has brought up that topic with Ted's dad, it's not exactly an impossible result. If the overall Nate story arc was real, Nate should have nothing but the highest loyalty for Ted. Ted lifted him from being a glorified laundry guy to helping run a soccer team. Ted helps him gets respect, take him to events, etc. Then Nate throws Ted under the bus for no reason from Ted's perspective. That realization could destroy Nate.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We actually have to take Nate's word that Lasso is getting any credit with the public or press to begin with. Maybe it's implied that Lasso is getting some credit given that the team has turned it around, although that isn't apparent to a casual viewer.

Another dark option about Nate is that Nate decides to kill himself. Since the show has brought up that topic with Ted's dad, it's not exactly an impossible result. If the overall Nate story arc was real, Nate should have nothing but the highest loyalty for Ted. Ted lifted him from being a glorified laundry guy to helping run a soccer team. Ted helps him gets respect, take him to events, etc. Then Nate throws Ted under the bus for no reason from Ted's perspective. That realization could destroy Nate.

i think it's more realistic that the story comes out (both the panic attack and that it was nate who leaked it) and while everyone wants to come down hard on him, ted sits him down.  he'll explain that he understands, and that he'll be a great coach someday, but not with richmond, and it's time to move on.  then nate will probably assume he can get a job someplace else, like if rupert buys a team, but it ends up being harder than he thought.  maybe he crawls back next season, but i hope not.

as for roy's reaction towards nate, he barely seemed to care about it when he heard.  he seemed more like, "wow keeley, that must've been awkward and hard for you, i hope you're ok."  i'm sure he sees nate as a confused kid, even though in real life they're exactly the same age, and with nate's hair, he looks 10 years older.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

as for roy's reaction towards nate, he barely seemed to care about it when he heard.  he seemed more like, "wow keeley, that must've been awkward and hard for you, i hope you're ok."  i'm sure he sees nate as a confused kid, even though in real life they're exactly the same age, and with nate's hair, he looks 10 years older.

Roy's reactions to certain news can be unexpected. The character is very empathetic from knowing Jamie needed a hug after punching his dad, or not being mad at Nate in this scenario. If a friend of Keeley's made a pass at Roy, I don't think Keeley would be concentrating on how Roy felt about it. He's a character that compartmentalizes what actions are in his control and then addresses that. 

On 10/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, DDD Dad said:

Most of us posting here believe there is some tie to reality for the show, although it does strain one's sense of credulity to think that an American Football coach of a college program that never has existed would ever be hired to coach a Premier League team EVEN if the owner was trying to ruin the club.

Come on, man...

• Hook 'Em 1

i never understood the whole "from a program that doesn't even exist" as being some sort of gripe or quibble.  i don't care if it's fictitious like minnesota state or texas state (pre name change) or just an irrelevant or small directional school.  i didn't know or care that wichita state didn't actually have a football program.  if he was from utsa i would've had the same reaction.  she hired a college football coach that had success at a low low level.  that was kinda the joke. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hornian said:

I told my wife the same thing. And that it was a perfect song for the outro in that episode. 

Best part of the episode. Like a lot of folks my age I went through a Radiohead phase and I hadn't heard, what may be one of the better songs I've ever heard, in a while. It slapped and was the perfect outro, as the young people say.

• Hook 'Em 1

Best part of the episode. Like a lot of folks my age I went through a Radiohead phase and I hadn't heard, what may be one of the better songs I've ever heard, in a while. It slapped and was the perfect outro, as the young people say.

Listen to Can, and their live 1972 album. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

ooh, he's promising Sam the no.10 shirt. the no.10 shirt is sacred in soccer. Pele, Messi, Maradona, Cryuff, Bergkamp, Platini, and on and on. it's essentially the number of the main attacking player, which means that Sam would be moving from a defensive position (fullback) into the attack. that's a pretty big promotion. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2